UK - Healthcare worker arrested on suspicion of murder/attempted murder of a number of babies, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
^then she should be in a psychiatric facility, not a prison or a jail

jail wont have enough supervision unless she's placed on suicide watch and in isolation
and even then, there won't be treatment for her

and she hasn't been convicted of a crime yet so she shouldn't be imprisoned if she's not a danger to others

^then she should be in a psychiatric facility, not a prison or a jail

jail wont have enough supervision unless she's placed on suicide watch and in isolation
and even then, there won't be treatment for her

and she hasn't been convicted of a crime yet so she shouldn't be in jail

You have a point but if she's in a psychiatric hospital then is that likely to be seen as potentially unfairly influencing the trial...potentially in either direction?

Strange to see a lawyer (I think she is) referring to LL as being "accused" given that that article dates from June 2019 but she wasn't even charged until November 2020.
Strange to see a lawyer (I think she is) referring to LL as being "accused" given that that article dates from June 2019 but she wasn't even charged until November 2020.
i thought the same

i thought the same

she's been arrested multiple times;

i'm confused about the timeline also

UK nurse denies murdering eight babies

She was previously arrested twice, in 2018 and 2019, but was twice bailed pending further inquiries.

did she go back to work on the neonatal ward?!

i don't understand why it is taking so long?

she's been arrested multiple times

The writer of the piece is a lawyer. Lawers are very particular about their use of language. Arrest is NOT an accusation of a crime (that's what charging is) and any lawyer knows that all too well. Has she slipped up in writing that and in fact knows more than is in the public domain???

Stating in June 2019 that she is accused looks libelous to me. You won't find any of the media reports from time saying she's been "accused" because they would open themselves to legal action, not least because reporting restrictions are in place once an arrest has been made. I'd venture to suggest that that article contravenes them.

The writer of the piece is a lawyer. Lawers are very particular about their use of language. Arrest is NOT an accusation of a crime (that's what charging is) and any lawyer knows that all too well. Has she slipped up in writing that and in fact knows more than is in the public domain???

Stating in June 2019 that she is accused looks libelous to me. You won't find any of the media reports from time saying she's been "accused" because they would open themselves to legal action, not least because reporting restrictions are in place once an arrest has been made. I'd venture to suggest that that article contravenes them.

As you say an unusual slip of legal lexicon. Maybe she had reached the word count limit :confused:

Since formal charges it's neither here nor there now and only the wealthiest can afford litigation for defamation.

As you say an unusual slip of legal lexicon. Maybe she had reached the word count limit :confused:

Since formal charges it's neither here nor there now and only the wealthiest can afford litigation for defamation.

All true. I was just very surprised that a lawyer would write that. Although nothing really surprises me about this case now, to be honest!

Just come across this article from 2018 - another person saying that LL came across as an absolute Angel.

Mum can't believe that 'angel' nurse to her tots is baby-murder suspect

It was weird for me, because she was so lovely and the births were both really nice. She was like an angel to me.

If she's guilty then she seems to have hid her homicidal tendencies really, really well!

Source: Scottish Sun

Just come across this article from 2018 - another person saying that LL came across as an absolute Angel.

It was weird for me, because she was so lovely and the births were both really nice. She was like an angel to me.

If she's guilty then she seems to have hid her homicidal tendencies really, really well!

To be absolutely honest I look at the photos of LL, having dealt with some monsters in my time, and I see a genuine unforced smile that radiates warmth and kindness.

The article from the mother above, bears testament to such a character.

Think of the shocking NHS failures at Stafford, Telford not to mention the HIV blood transfusion nightmare and there are many others.

If there is one thing that would keep me awake at night it would be that an additional innocent lamb is being sent to slaughter.

I have worked in the NHS and with the culture of blame and cover up nothing would surprise me.

To be fair, there were similar comments from families of Beverly Allitt's patients, and we know how that turned out. However, there were other stories about Allitt which suggested there might well be some issues with her, while I'm yet to see anything negative about LL, so I remain concerned about this one until we hear the evidence. If it turns out they've got tons of really good evidence, then fine, all's good, but right now we've not seen anything to suggest it. And rightly so; trials should not be conducted via the media before the actual court trial, it's just this particular type of case has a history of mistaken accusations, and actual medical killers are so rare, it's hard for me to believe in it without hearing of any grounds for suspicion.

Equally, I realise the police and CPS must feel there's compelling evidence or she wouldn't have been charged. However if she is innocent, I feel SO bad for her, this has dragged on for over three years now, and even if she's found not guilty, well, "not guilty" does not equal "declared innocent" so it'll follow her forever unless someone else is found guilty, as many people will think "there's no smoke without fire". In a case that so far sounds like little more than chance or slightly poor care overall, in other words there may not be any actual murderer to be found.

To be absolutely honest I look at the photos of LL, having dealt with some monsters in my time, and I see a genuine unforced smile that radiates warmth and kindness.

The article from the mother above, bears testament to such a character.

Think of the shocking NHS failures at Stafford, Telford not to mention the HIV blood transfusion nightmare and there are many others.

If there is one thing that would keep me awake at night it would be that an additional innocent lamb is being sent to slaughter.

I have worked in the NHS and with the culture of blame and cover up nothing would surprise me.

I completely agree.

There is a Twitter thread I read a couple of days after her plea hearing (which I'll not post here as it will get deleted) where the father of a child she had, I think, helped deliver saying essentially the same thing as the mother in the Scot Sun article - that she was amazing; in that case the family had remained friendly with her and she'd come round to play with the child on multiple occasions.

This does not sound like the behavior of a serial baby murderer.

To be fair, there were similar comments from families of Beverly Allitt's patients, and we know how that turned out. However, there were other stories about Allitt which suggested there might well be some issues with her, while I'm yet to see anything negative about LL, so I remain concerned about this one until we hear the evidence. If it turns out they've got tons of really good evidence, then fine, all's good, but right now we've not seen anything to suggest it. And rightly so; trials should not be conducted via the media before the actual court trial, it's just this particular type of case has a history of mistaken accusations, and actual medical killers are so rare, it's hard for me to believe in it without hearing of any grounds for suspicion.

Equally, I realise the police and CPS must feel there's compelling evidence or she wouldn't have been charged. However if she is innocent, I feel SO bad for her, this has dragged on for over three years now, and even if she's found not guilty, well, "not guilty" does not equal "declared innocent" so it'll follow her forever unless someone else is found guilty, as many people will think "there's no smoke without fire". In a case that so far sounds like little more than chance or slightly poor care overall, in other words there may not be any actual murderer to be found.

Allitt was in a different time. You are correct that more came out about Allitt's personality but not really until years afterwards. Allitt was not well liked by many people; she was known to be mouthy and aggressive and had a history of beating up a previous boyfriend, possibly more than one. She was known to be a malingerer who was constantly inventing "illnesses" in order to drum-up attention.

She, apparently unlike LL, didn't have her sights set on being a nurse from a very young age but, rather, fell into it through a friend. She had the worst attendance record of anyone previously during her nursing training due to sickness and barely scraped through it. She is known to have poisoned the family she was staying with, including their dog, when she was suspended.

From what we know about LL (and I appreciate that that isn't a great deal), she is the exact opposite of Allitt in every respect.

This is just a random thought experiment of mine but; if we were to put Beverly Allitt in place of Lucy Letby then, given the existence of the internet today, our current social media overload and sites like YouTube where people can essentially say anything they like, I think it inconceivable that we wouldn't be hearing stories of her rather unpleasant character. It's been more than three years since LL's first arrest, she's been in the news multiple times, has had several court appearances and there are discussions of the case all over the internet. Yet there doesn't seem to be any comments other than positive ones. Not a single negative comment from anyone who's ever had anything to do with her. She is no Beverly Allitt, that much is very clear.

I just can't form any sort of opinion of guilt based on the very little we know of LL ...there are very strict rules now on what press can print ...especially since the Leveson enquiry...regarding social media...many of her social circle may have been work colleagues...they will have been heavily warned regarding writing anything on social media...the NMC has strict guidelines on confidentiality and social media. We have no idea if she even had a social circle outside work to comment either.
This is a very sensitive case I'm not surprised we have not seen anything about her

Well, I am surprised actually. It really goes against nature, doesn't it, to have no whispers and gossip at all about it. IMO

I agree. I absolutely appreciate what JoseJo is saying and it's all true that the NMC and the media have their rules and obligations as to what cannot be published but that cannot be said about wider society. Gossips will make gossip and most gossip, although unlikely to be totally true, is usually based on fact or people's opinion of others. The local gossip is unlikely to be in a position to be bound by professional codes of conduct.

There is not a single bad thing I can find anywhere about Lucy Letby, nothing at all. There are comments from people who claim to know her or to have crossed paths with her at some point and none of them have said "..she seemed a bit weird so I kept my distance.." or, "...I knew her from when my kid was born and I always got bad vibes.." or, "...I was at school with her and she used to pull the wings off flies...". Indeed, every single comment from anyone claiming to know her is the exact opposite. If I were being really cynical I might say that she actually sounds too good to be true!

No, none of that means she's innocent and it may just go to show that she's an exceptionally good actress and has managed to hide whatever homicidal tendencies she has very well indeed. The lack of any negative comments in the public domain after more than three years from her first arrest, though, is not something which can easily be dismissed in our very well connected society today. As mentioned, if she were Beverly Allitt I think it inconceivable that we would not have heard rumours of her character and past behavior by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes