Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #57

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand what you are saying. But say there are 2 sightings in NC 100 miles apart at the same time or close to it. Obviously both can't be BL. Maybe neither is BL but both can't be. But LE doesn't want to say BL can't be at Point A or at Point B in NC. Because he could be either place or even both places but just not both places at close to the same time.
JMO

Guess I am hoping for something novel....
I think i would appreciate NC LE coming out to "cool our jets".. you know, like saying , "yes we follow up, and all leads thus far have been fruitless".... It might just ease some troubled minds.

This is why I don't think the lawyer is helping BL.

18 USC 3 makes it a felony to help someone avoid capture and prosecution. The penalty is half the penalty of the offender - up to 15 years if the underlying crime is life in prison.

I know a lot of lawyers. I participate in a lot of bar association groups and sections, I'm on a few criminal defense specific email listservs. I know lawyers ranging from real slimey ones I wouldn't trust to help me with a parking ticket down to the most principled and honest people I've met.

I really can't imagine anyone risking their own career to commit a crime for a client. Most of the crimes that lawyers get in trouble for involve misappropriating money from client trust accounts (i.e. stealing from your client to benefit yourself). Most lawyers are thinking about themselves. They are always looking for the next client, the next case. Most are not going to risk their own careers for any client - even big ones. It's just not worth it for purely selfish reasons.

18 U.S. Code § 3 - Accessory after the fact

Whoever, knowing that an offense against the United States has been committed, receives, relieves, comforts or assists the offender in order to hinder or prevent his apprehension, trial or punishment, is an accessory after the fact.

Except as otherwise expressly provided by any Act of Congress, an accessory after the fact shall be imprisoned not more than one-half the maximum term of imprisonment or (notwithstanding section 3571) fined not more than one-half the maximum fine prescribed for the punishment of the principal, or both; or if the principal is punishable by life imprisonment or death, the accessory shall be imprisoned not more than 15 years.
I thought this was how it worked but I'm really glad to have the confirmation. That former FBI agent's accusation was a bit inflamatory, no?

See, this is the long game I think they are playing. Let him lie low and protected in his little safe house and let the media frenzy die down. Keep insisting that the Reserve was where he was - and that they think he may have been distraught enough to kill himself. Then, after a long time of searching with no results, LE will just give up and move on thinking he was most likely dead. No comment means, to me, he will not outright lie that BL is suicidal, but he certainly wants us to believe he is.

There are folks who are pure-hearted who refuse to believe that there are parents who would help their adult children get away with murder.

Please hear me as I tell you this right now: As a former Domestic Violence Women's Advocate, there are mothers and fathers of Offenders who will say whatever it takes to exonerate their Adult Child.

When the Petito Family called, texted, and otherwise reached out to the Laundrie family asking about Gabby, they were completely ignored.

There was no good reason for the Laundrie family to ignore the Petito family.

18 USC 3 makes it a felony to help someone avoid capture and prosecution. The penalty is half the penalty of the offender - up to 15 years if the underlying crime is life in prison.

I know a lot of lawyers. I participate in a lot of bar association groups and sections, I'm on a few criminal defense specific email listservs. I know lawyers ranging from real slimey ones I wouldn't trust to help me with a parking ticket down to the most principled and honest people I've met.

I really can't imagine anyone risking their own career to commit a crime for a client. Most of the crimes that lawyers get in trouble for involve misappropriating money from client trust accounts (i.e. stealing from your client to benefit yourself). Most lawyers are thinking about themselves. They are always looking for the next client, the next case. Most are not going to risk their own careers for any client - even big ones. It's just not worth it for purely selfish reasons.

Whoever, knowing that an offense against the United States has been committed, receives, relieves, comforts or assists the offender in order to hinder or prevent his apprehension, trial or punishment, is an accessory after the fact.

Except as otherwise expressly provided by any Act of Congress, an accessory after the fact shall be imprisoned not more than one-half the maximum term of imprisonment or (notwithstanding section 3571) fined not more than one-half the maximum fine prescribed for the punishment of the principal, or both; or if the principal is punishable by life imprisonment or death, the accessory shall be imprisoned not more than 15 years.

Right. I don't think BL is a big enough deal to risk throwing away a career. It's not like O.J Simpson or something.

Also, AFAIK there is no charge or accusation of murder against BL at this point? So aiding and abetting someone who has been charged with bank fraud essentially? (not to over simplify)

Do you think that there is anything in the works to put the skids on SB? I just keep feeling he is out of his league, and it is going to catch up with him.

I keep circling back to a lot of things, but right now I’m still wondering why he isn’t listed as a missing person. Supposedly no posters up anywhere, as far as I’ve read. Even if the LE is certain he’s in that god awful swamp, it’s not a cage… he could leave, return, etc. Even if they don’t feel he’s a danger to anyone else, no nothing about him to alert locals who may not follow the news?

When BL fled, it was before he was indicted for credit card fraud. So, technically, assisting him in relocating was not an illegal activity. His lawyer, his parents, or anyone solicited by them would not have done anything illegal by setting him up in a safe house on or around 9/11-9/13 since he was not wanted for anything until 9/14. I do believe that the location cannot be known by his parents, since at this point they would be lying to the FBI if they deny knowing where he is located. So I think the parents do not know his actual physical location. I don’t know about the lawyer? @Alethea or anyone else? Is the lawyer breaking the law, or legal ethics if he knows BL’s location and hides that from the FBI?

Absolutely. Any act that interferes with the investigation or prosecution of a crime is criminal obstruction.

Right. I don't think BL is a big enough deal to risk throwing away a career. It's not like O.J Simpson or something.

Also, AFAIK there is no charge or accusation of murder against BL at this point? So aiding and abetting someone who has been charged with bank fraud essentially? (not to over simplify)
As far as I know, there is no attorney of record listed on the indictment for the fraud case, for BL. The prosecutor is named. Has that changed? Dunno. SB is not his attorney for the Federal Fraud case. JMO

Guess I am hoping for something novel....
I think i would appreciate NC LE coming out to "cool our jets".. you know, like saying , "yes we follow up, and all leads thus far have been fruitless".... It might just ease some troubled minds.

Again, I understand what you are saying. But there are 100 counties in NC. So lots of sheriff's offices. (Not all sightings have been in the AT part of the state although many have been.) Plus police departments in cities/ towns. I'm just not sure who the NC spokesperson would be to say "hey, we've got this." Maybe the FBI? But they are saying zilch.
JMO

It depends what the person knows. The statute says knowing someone has committed an offense against the United States. If BL murdered Gabby, it happened around 8/30. So if the person accused of helping BL escape knew he participated in her murder, he's still assisting someone who committed an offense against the United States (murder) even if it has not been charged yet.

I do think you would eventually have to have underlying charges for this charge so if BL was found dead, I think they would have to find a different way to charge anyone who helped them. But if BL is found and then charged with murder, the people helping him couldn't say "Oh but he wasn't charged yet" since the actual crime was committed on 8/30 (or whenever it happened).

I think that makes sense? I am tired so sorry if my answers aren't super clear.

As far as I know, there is no attorney of record listed on the indictment for the fraud case, for BL. The prosecutor is named. Has that changed? Dunno. SB is not his attorney for the Federal Fraud case. JMO

He could still aid and abet. But I don't think he is for the reasons Alethea mentioned.

I don't understand why this is causing so much confusion. The indictment lists the bank account and debit card numbers. The Petito family knows Gabby's bank account and debit card numbers. The family's lawyer stated these are Gabby's bank accounts and Gabby's debit card.

If one bank card is listed and the attorney for the Petito family states that Brian used Gabby's bank card, why would we assume there is a second unauthorized use that just wasn't charged (for using Gabby's card) and this one is really someone else's?

FACT: "BRIAN CHRISTOPHER LAUNDRIE, knowingly and with intent to defraud, used one or more unauthorized access devices, namely a Capital One Bank debit card ending in 8774 and a personal identification number for Capital One Bank accounts ending in 0525 and 8665, and by such conduct obtained things for value aggregating to $1,000 or more during that period, which affected interestate commerce."
SOURCE: United States v. Brian Christopher Laundrie, No. 21 CR 113-S (D. Wyoming) (September 22, 2021)

FACT: "He used her credit card to get home."
SOURCE: Richard Stafford, Petito family attorney, available at: Brian Laundrie stole, used Gabby Petito's credit card and 'ran from' police: family attorney

Treating these two pieces of information as fact, I do not see how any other conclusion can be drawn than that the account numbers listed in the indictment belong to Gabby.

Just because the FBI did not phrase their statement about the indictment in a way that a poster would prefer does not suddenly make an indictment that lists specific account numbers an opinion.
Can we pin this to the thread :)

Thank you for always providing the legal answers to our multitude of questions. I'm thankful you're here for GPs thread.

Moo....

Ah! But he's been a family friend for over 20 years and this is murder. Time to call favors in? My current viewpoint is: follow the grins and you will find Brian. This truly somber occasion is unworthy of smorefests and grins.
*Thank you for this info about accessory after the fact.

Of course, a memorial does have to be wrapped up at some point, but I can't help but feel like the NPPD wants to start tidying things up today. MOO and based on the vibe I got from the interview BE posted earlier. Getting the father out there yesterday and then today they say they only had the car to go on. I cannot imagine this being the case, but could they have brought the father out there to try to turn down the local temperature on this case? Again and as always, MOO.

Do you have thoughts, insight, advice on this? I ask, because so much has been restricted in this case by the FBI, it would be helpful to know HOW Gabby's parents know the last four digits of her debit card number. There might be a very good reason, but it hasn't been fleshed out here, that I am aware of.

Just my speculation based on personal experience: I'm a joint account holder on each of my kids' checking and savings accounts. (My name doesn't appear on checks.) These accounts were started when my kids were minors so an adult had to be included.

Once my kids reached 18, their accounts were converted to regular ol' adult accounts. Each had the option of removing me from the account, but none did. It was easy for me to transfer money from my account into my 19 year old's account for school expenses, or transfer money from one kid's account to another to reimburse for a purchase (they use Venmo for this now, but for larger amounts they rather an account to account transfer, which I can easily do).

When I log into my bank app, I see the last four digits of all 11 accounts on which I'm a party. :eek: As my kids change banks, marry, etc. I'm sure I'll be dropped from their accounts (as I should be).

I know Gabby's mom lives in NY, but I think her dad lives in FL. It's possible either of them are joint account holders on Gabby's account(s). Just my speculation -- keep in mind I may have missed new facts suggeting otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500