Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #62

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throttling is specifically hands, not knees or a stranglehold.

Thanks. I am not going to pin it down that narrowly.
I have yet to read a link - pertaining to Gabby's death - that pins it down that narrowly.

Manual strangulation (also known as "throttling") is strangling with the hands, fingers, or other extremities and sometimes also with blunt objects, such as batons.
Strangling - Wikipedia

Blue listed the cause of death as "manual strangulation/throttling."
Manual strangulation refers to the compression of the neck using one or both hands or a knee or forearm.
Gabby Petito died by strangulation, coroner rules

Thanks. I am not going to pin it down that narrowly.

Manual strangulation (also known as "throttling") is strangling with the hands, fingers, or other extremities and sometimes also with blunt objects, such as batons.
Strangling - Wikipedia

Blue listed the cause of death as "manual strangulation/throttling."
Manual strangulation refers to the compression of the neck using one or both hands or a knee or forearm.
Gabby Petito died by strangulation, coroner rules
yep but throttling is just hands.

I think we may safely deduce that she died between Aug 27-30. Probably closer to Aug 27.

Brian was on the road and using her bank card on Aug 30. Also Gabby's mom thought her Aug 27 text message was "odd" (as well as another text on Aug 30). So the restaruant sighting around midday Aug 27 was the last known live sighting.

Add in information that only the coroner and LE are privy to and I would think they can further narrow down the time of death to a small range of hours.

I personally believe he killed her Aug 27, sometime after the midday restaurant fight, and prior to the Bethune dashcam video on Aug 27 just before sunset.

My concern does not lay with lining Gabby's death up with BL's movements.
My concern lays with reasonable doubt, presented to the jury, that another could have been involved - with that wide of a time of death.

The reason I think it may or may not be the hands that were solely used, is because the Encyclopedia of Forensic Sciences says any part of the perp's body can be used to manually strangle someone.

And because the Coroner would not confirm if an "item" was used in the strangulation. Surely he could have just said "no" when he was asked.
Understood. But the coroner specified: Death by manual strangulation/throttling.
upload_2021-10-12_17-55-16.png

I do agree with others on here that the scratches on Brian's face during the Moab interview were from Gabby defending herself while being strangled.

As for previous pics with no marks on Gabby, remember that women can hide bruises with makeup and pics can be strategically taken.

My concern does not lay with lining Gabby's death up with BL's movements.
My concern lays with reasonable doubt, presented to the jury, that another could have been involved - with that wide of a time of death.

I think it would take a VERY good defense attorney and a very bad prosecutor for this to cause reasonable doubt in a jury. (Reasonable is the key word here.) With that said, I totally get that concern.

I’m not saying he didn’t want her dead, I’m just saying it didn’t have to be because he was angry with her at that moment. She didn’t need to be dumping him or ending it or even yelling at him in the middle of a fight for him to snap. I’m sure at some point he thought of stopping but then decided to continue so she couldn’t tell on him.
Oh, I got you. I was saying that I don't think he ever considered stopping. There are a thousand different ways it could've gone down, though. We could toss plausible ideas around all day. I didn't think so before but the not more it sinks in...

Her body was on the other side of the creek from where the van was parked.
Measured in Google Earth, the locations of the van & her body are approx. 287 yards apart.
The ground between is rocky creek, water flow in some places, others spots, not.
Thank you! I have been trying to get my head around this.
Could not figure out how her body could have lain there for 3 to 4 weeks undiscovered.
Now, I wonder if there was some access from the other side of the creek?
MOO.

The reason I think it may or may not be the hands that were solely used, is because the Encyclopedia of Forensic Sciences says any part of the perp's body can be used to manually strangle someone.

And because the Coroner would not confirm if an "item" was used in the strangulation. Surely he could have just said "no" when he was asked.

The manner death inherently confirms no item was used. Throttling is very specific to hands. There is no need for clarity. It's clear on its own IMO.

Here is my idea of what happened and the simplest is usually the best.
I have thought and thought of what could have happened tht goes along with what we know for a fact.
I believe that after the arguement in town at the resturant they started out for the next place they had planned on camping," due to the fact that Red White and Bethune stated that the van was parked in a way that was unusual to how someone would normally park if they were gonna camp there" I think they continued to argue after they left and it got pretty heated inside the van, so heated in fact that BL pulled the van over at the first place he saw to just get off the main road. They left he vehicle and continued fighting, at some point Gabby ran to escape BL,s since he most likely was becomming physical, she may have even yanked the keys out of the ignition to stop him from leaving her, he took off after her and in the place she was found is where he caught up to her. After the resturant arguement and then argueng with Gabby im sure he was in a complete rage. He grabbed her, strangled her, took the keys and ran back to the van and aas his anger subsided and he realized what he had done he hauled butt.........

Exactly. People keep overlooking the fact that we don't know if she was murdered where her body was found. People are also overlooking the fact that the federal govt and states have concurrent jurisdiction on certain federal properties. I usually associate that with federal buildings, national monuments or campuses within a state and not to national parks but I've heard it can exist in some areas in and around national parks. Are you (or anyone) familiar with the jurisdictional treatment of this particular camping area?

If I am following this thread correctly though, the original post that brought this up was an article with a statement from the Palm Beach County FL state's attorney implying that prosecutors in his office were preparing to file charges. They ertainly wouldn't be involved. IMO

Last edited:
Her body was on the other side of the creek from where the van was parked.
Measured in Google Earth, the locations of the van & her body are approx. 287 yards apart.
The ground between is rocky creek, water flow in some places, others spots, not.

This is a page 12 map someone mentioned before if you were wondering where it was like I was. It shows how far it would be to carry or drag from the van.

IMO the coroner made a few comments, including that one, that were beyond inappropriate and unprofessional. Could the DV comment impact a possible trial?

This was supposed to be about Gabby, her death, and his determination in her autopsy ONLY. It's not his place to make such comments, and it adds fuel (at the wrong time) to an already-burning fire.

IMO He went into this already distracted and with some personal opinions that he felt strongly about. It was as if he had an ax to grind and he used this as a opportunity do it.

There are way too many times I see in these cases people not doing their jobs correctly, being unprofessional, etc. It gets so frustrating.

IMO
I did not see any ax to grind, he was very patient with the redundant and sometimes unprofessional questions asked. I don’t disagree that he should not have said it, indirectly revealing his opinion on who killed her per the evidence he has seen. I think he was honestly answering that he wished that other deaths received attention. I don’t think he is wrong and if this ever goes to trial, which I highly doubt it ever does, the DA will be making a DV narrative every chance he gets leading up to trial. MOO

I imagine they were making a graphic.
(to put a picture together of signs of progression if relevant, other pieces of evidence they had found?)
It was mentioned many threads ago that those orange spray paint splotches are the way they indicate three-dimensional source points to recreate a scene. They're not bullet holes or blood stains or even necessarily where evidence was found, but markers to indicate x and y and z axis points, if that makes sense. :)

Understood. But the coroner specified: Death by manual strangulation/throttling.
View attachment 317106

Manual strangulation = no ligature, tools, ropes, clothing was used. Just the strength of one human upon another, by use of a part of their body (arm round neck, choke hold, kneeling on neck etc)

Throttling = a form of manual strangulation when using just the hands on the throat.

From this I deduce Gabby was killed by someone strangling her with their hands around her throat. :( It pains me to type that.

MOO

Exactly. People keep overlooking the fact that we don't know if she was murdered where her body was found. People are also overlooking the fact that the federal govt and states have concurrent jurisdiction on certain federal properties. I usually associate that with federal buildings, national monuments or campuses within a state and not to national parks but I've heard it can exist in some areas in and around national parks. Are you (or anyone) familiar with the jurisdictional treatment of this particular camping area?
This is very true. I spent a couple of decades living on various military bases, which are obviously federal property, and unless a crime was committed directly against the government they were routinely turned over to the state for prosecution. Murder, child abuse, domestic assault, DUI, you name it. jmo

I don't know of any particular treatment of this area. However, there is concurrent jurisdiction. While Bridger-Teton is federal property, it is still within the the State of Wyoming, Teton County. So the State can pursue it if the feds decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419