Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Thoughtful Wife Murderer?
What was Barry doing in his garage all the time, that Suzanne was made to feel like an interloper in her own sq ftg?
I'm not saying he dug a magic storm cellar under his garage but it's not like it hasn't been done.
JURY SAYS HUSBAND IS GUILTY WIFE WAS SHOT, BURIED UNDER HER GARAGE FLOOR
@Megnut From your link from 1986:
"Bradford Edwards was convicted Saturday of charges that he shot his wife in the back of the head, then wrapped her body in a comforter and buried her under a concrete slab in the couple's Fort Lauderdale garage." bbm ubm

What a considerate guy! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Sorry, my sarc. cells acted up. Could not help myself, had to post.

Last edited:
Chances are, he did not buy it at Tiffany’s, but Suzanne was an advertisement, too. A beautiful, polished woman. Like their FB photos. So even if he bought it secondhand, it is probably natural, and GIA-graded. Jewellery insurance can be in the house, or insured with Jewellery Mutual.

Wouldn't it be interesting to know what insurance policies the Morphews did have?

The defense play on words and indirect implications e.g. Ritter are not ‘afraid’ of BM and the implication that the ‘dirty prosecutor’ told people to be scared of BM, are easily seen through and they make a mockery of the court. Their overly aggressive tactics will come back to bite them.

Looks to me to be the same house described in this article as “the much more modest home Darke is reportedly currently living in downtown Salida.”

Barry Morphew seen out with new girlfriend for the first time since he was released on $500k bond | Daily Mail Online

I wonder if Barry did her landscaping with those signature boulders sitting there in the middle of the yard. You would think if your honey is a landscaper then your yard would look better than that.

The defense play on words and indirect implications e.g. Ritter are not ‘afraid’ of BM and the implication that the ‘dirty prosecutor’ told people to be scared of BM, are easily seen through and they make a mockery of the court. Their overly aggressive tactics will come back to bite them.

Let's hope the jury can see through it.

I did a little jury pool research on Chaffee Co., US Census data style. It's going to be a true jury of his peers. Mostly white, middle aged, blue-collar, construction guys. Seriously, one of the rare counties in the lower 48 where the men outnumber the women.

If not the ring, I believe Suzanne's phone may have gotten itself in the river, with help. Seemed to be eating him alive too, not knowing whether LE had found it.

Didn't he say LE messed up the crime scene? Was there additional staging that didn't play out as he intended?

Can someone help me to understand the helmet? Was it a work in progress? Didn't think of the mountain lion angle until after casting it a mile upstream on the road? Why would it be there? Do you have any idea how hard it is for Cat to unbuckle a helmet? No opposable thumbs and not much for patience either, and me, if I'm getting mauled by Cat, I'm not taking my helmet off. It might be the only protection I've got. Human abductor -- hmm, grabs middle aged woman off her bike, sets her down so he can launch her bike over the edge, ducks her into his vehicle, drives a pace, then orders her to hand over her helmet so he can chuck it at random out the window. Did imaginary abductor also make a u-turn at Garfield in order to better align with the helmet drop?

Those tire casts the didn't match anything -- did Barry have access to a different vehicle for his searches, all the mountains, 200 mile radius? Can we be certain the helmet wasn't placed there until after 5/10? After the Cat tale failed to wag?

It's not lost on me that Barry seems to be very comfortable on the adjoining property. 5/9.... all Barry had to do was lock up his truck for the night, load up his cooler or rucksack, throw it up on his shoulder firefighter-style and walk from one PP property to another. Might've had access to other vehicles, all wheel drive or all terrain, and off he goes. Off grid from roughly 11 pm to 3 am. Busy B. But why wait so long? Throw a couple journals on the fire and head out for a while. He may well have gone on that hike with Suzanne after all, earlier in the evening, long before plating his steak.

Only, he was hiking on foot and she? She was over his shoulder.

JMO
I have a theory on the helmet. I think BM didn’t stage it. I think it somehow fell off his truck.
Which brings me to BM looking through the trash can at Poncha Market. I think he was hoping to find it there.
His note shows what he was looking for and it clearly wasn’t Suzanne.
P.S. Can you see the font size difference between Baby Blue Bike Helmet and Biking Clothing? Biking Clothing is way smaller. Almost like an afterthought.
image0000.jpg

Last edited:
I've been thinking about Jeff Lindsey's abrupt departure from Linda Stanley's office after only 9 months. He's the real deal as a prosecutor, and this has to be a blow to the Morphew case whatever she says.

IMO, there's a sign that he lost confidence in her judgment. Her comment on his departure was, "We wish we had the opportunity to resolve any issues he may have had," This, and the brevity of his stay, suggests to me that he decided to leave for very serious reasons that he felt Stanley could not remedy.

I have never had confidence in Stanley as a top prosecutor. It appears from her history that she has never tried a felony case, let alone a no-body murder. If she has been interfering in Lindsey's management of the case, it does not bode well for the prosecution. MOO.

We know that DA Allen fired Jeff Lindsey when he took over as DA in El Paso County in January so Jeff was looking for a job when he ended up in District 11 with DA Stanley. (New administration -- Allen wanted his own pick).

Given a choice, I think District 10 or Pueblo County is a better fit for Jeff Lindsey and I don't know that there was a Senior opening in Pueblo last January but there definitely was an opening in September when the Sr Deputy DA took a job as the County Magistrate. If Lindsey is thinking of running for office -- he'll have to wait 4 more years.

DA Jeff Chostner was sworn in on January 12, 2021 for his third term as DA for District 10. He ran unopposed and will serve for another 4 years.

DA Chostner's daughter Michelle was the Senior Deputy DA for District 10 up until Sept 7 when she was hired as the new Pueblo County Magistrate. Her husband is also a Prosecutor for District 10 and they worked together earlier this year to successfully prosecute and convict Donte Lucas for the no body murder of Kelsie Schelling.

According to the 2020 YT recruiting video produced for Judicial District 10 -- they have about 23 prosecutors and prosecute about 10K cases annually.

Pueblo County commissioners, district attorney to be sworn in Tuesday

Pueblo Deputy District Attorney Michelle Chostner named a magistrate

10th Judicial District Attorney Video - Pueblo County Govt.

From a professional perspective, I can't imagine anything worse than going from El Paso County's 4th Judicial District to the conglomerate of Chaffee, Custer, Fremont, and Park Counties making up the 11th Judicial District.

Lindsey spent 16 years in the 4th District before losing his job in an administration change and I doubt anybody's first choice (let alone a Sr DA) would be the 11th District!

Clearly, a Sr Deputy DA position came open in Pueblo County in Sept -- very comparable to his former job in Co Spgs, so why wouldn't Lindsey apply for that position? This is not private practice but a state, civil servant position so I don't understand the controversy here.

I also doubt Lindsey's family relocated with him to the land of no cellular service, etc. and he can actually commute from his Co Springs family home to Pueblo. I think this was the best move for both Lindsey and his family, and I wish him every success. MOO

ETA: Linsdey spent 4 years (2000-2004) in Pueblo County before joining El Paso County Judicial District.

Wouldn't it be interesting to know what insurance policies the Morphews did have?

Also: I wonder if the stone was upgraded?

As they probably were not affluent when marrying but made money, I bet the ring was upgraded, and maybe, they renewed the wows. Things didn't get bad overnight.

Upgrading is often done via the initial vendor. So if Barry bought the first ring somewhere locally, he likely, upgraded it via the same person.

Also, Suzanne might have told about the ring to her best friend. Rings are noticeable.

And yes, one often insures the jewelry with the house.

I have a theory on the helmet. I think BM didn’t stage it. I think it somehow fell off his truck.
Which brings me to BM looking through the trash can at Poncha Market. I think he was hoping to find it there.
His note shows what he was looking for and it clearly wasn’t Suzanne.
P.S. Can you see the font size difference between Baby Blue Bike Helmet and Biking Clothing? Biking Clothing is way smaller. Almost like an afterthought.
image0000.jpg

I know it doesn't make sense to us (people who follow true crime), but I am convinced he did stage it.

His truck and phone data shows that he almost certainly planted the bike in those early morning hours, just before he left for Broomfield.

Barry ultimately admitted to Grusing that he turned left instead of right, which is precisely where the helmet was found.

As Suzanne's body was very likely dumped during a six hour period house before, planting the helmet is really all he could have been doing.

Barry is an idiot, plain and simple. He was likely trying to stage a scenario where Suzanne was kidnapped, and the abductor threw her helmet out of the vehicle while he was transporting her away.

It's illogical, improbable, and laughable; still, that's what this genius decided to do.

We all know that's not how these things go down, but that's Barry for you.

Free is a pretty difficult offer to say no to. Sure he could have rented something but free usually is tough to say no to.
How do you know it’s free?
I haven’t seen the deal the Cushman’s and BM worked out yet, let us know if you find any information.
Isn’t he paying $2k a month for SD’s rental?
Seems odd to me

I think she’s like those women who marry the murderers and serial killers. There’s a certain dark fixation these women have on evil men. There is excitement in the fear, a certain rush in being around someone dangerous. There is also that fifteen minutes of fame that is so alluring.
Unfortunately for these women, they are usually missing something in their own lives and that’s what draws them to these notorious men. MOO
I firmly believe BM & SD had a relationship prior to SM disappearance. I may have missed previous information that suggest otherwise, my apologies. SD has been in the picture for more than a while….IMO.

If there is something on his old land that BM wants to retrieve, the SD package pickup could have been a reconnaissance mission. BM probably has been watching his old home for signs of habitation and he needed to know if the new owners have a security system. Now he also knows his ankle bracelet won’t pick him up if he goes creepy crawling around over there. He just has to stay out of view of the security cameras.
Attached map shows his former house, the house where he is now staying, (Cushman), the house where JR and MR reside and for whom BM has a no contact order, (Ritter), and in green, the S Arkansas River area along which BM walked on May 9 towards the Monarch Spur RV park.
He was allegedly turning off trail cams. What else may he have been doing back there that day before he murdered his wife? Did he dig a hidey hole for a certain diamond ring that he would like to get back?
Didn’t TD find him soaking wet crawling up from that very same river one afternoon?
I’d venture to say he’s staying close to watch as well. It’s so strange to know he’s close to the scene. SD being manipulated already…she’ll be found in that property again. Guaranteed!

I know it doesn't make sense to us (people who follow true crime), but I am convinced he did stage it.

His truck and phone data shows that he almost certainly planted the bike in those early morning hours, just before he left for Broomfield.

Barry ultimately admitted to Grusing that he turned left instead of right, which is precisely where the helmet was found.

As Suzanne's body was very likely dumped during a six hour period house before, planting the helmet is really all he could have been doing.

Barry is an idiot, plain and simple. He was likely trying to stage a scenario where Suzanne was kidnapped, and the abductor threw her helmet out of the vehicle while he was transporting her away.

It's illogical, improbable, and laughable; still, that's what this genius decided to do.

We all know that's not how these things go down, but that's Barry for you.
Exactly, and if the “abductor” had turned left after taking SM from the PP/Fooses Dam area, he would not have thrown the helmet clear across HWY 50 while making his escape in broad daylight. That is a busy road.
However, if one traveled up towards Monarch Pass and turned around at Garfield in the middle of the night when there was little traffic, it would be easy to pull over for a second and toss that helmet off to the south side of 50 without being seen.
Also, the defense attorneys made a big show of the fact that no tire tracks from BM’s vehicle were found near where the helmet was found. A close up of that pull off off shows tire tracks that indicate it was a well used pull off. The helmet wasn’t found until Thursday. No telling how many people pulled off there between Sunday and Thursday obliterating previous tread marks.

Attachments

• 250F3AEF-C676-4AC7-A076-173C2F5C8FCD.jpeg
    250F3AEF-C676-4AC7-A076-173C2F5C8FCD.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 37
  • A26EA3FF-B527-487F-80DC-864FD26C44E4.jpeg
    A26EA3FF-B527-487F-80DC-864FD26C44E4.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 36
Exactly, and if the “abductor” had turned left after taking SM from the PP/Fooses Dam area, he would not have thrown the helmet clear across HWY 50 while making his escape in broad daylight. That is a busy road.
However, if one traveled up towards Monarch Pass and turned around at Garfield in the middle of the night when there was little traffic, it would be easy to pull over for a second and toss that helmet off to the south side of 50 without being seen.
Also, the defense attorneys made a big show of the fact that no tire tracks from BM’s vehicle were found near where the helmet was found. A close up of that pull off off shows tire tracks that indicate it was a well used pull off. The helmet wasn’t found until Thursday. No telling how many people pulled off there between Sunday and Thursday obliterating previous tread marks.
More importantly GPS did not show him turning left. LE implied they had data that showed him turning left and he answered that he was chasing Elk. So how does prosecution prove that he turned left? Because he said he did? He said alot of things people don't believe....just saying. Defense will scream entrapment IMO. And I'm still confused by the continual fascination with SD. If anything trying to figure out if they knew each other prior just sheds doubt on the charge that Barry acted alone with with premeditation. Does anyone really think the DA is going to change the charge to conspiracy to commit murder? I certainly think there's more to the story....but the arrest happened, the preliminary happened....what can change between now and prosecutions delivery of the witness list? Lots of things....but is it going to happen. My vote is no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa