Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
That text: "no service in Yosemite" on 8/30 was a crucial mistake as well.

My guess is, it came from somewhere around Illinois/Missouri on his trip home, he was stalling the parents to give himself time to prepare to be on the run.
Yes this is a really interesting one and IMO the FBI would know where this was sent from and know it was not Yosemite.

Interesting. Well, whatever happened, I think it’s safe to say that BL made a pretty big mistake.
Is it even possible that there was no mistake? Everyone seems to think BL used GP's phone all the time, so why not consider that he simply texted GP's mom because he wanted Stan to stop contacting them. If he was using her phone on the 27th (either before or after her death), which was not unusual, then to him, writing it the way he did made sense. Without knowing the time it was sent, or the time of her death, we can't possibly determine the source or reasoning behind this text. I figure BL didn't text NS from GP's phone regularly, so to NS it appeared to be coming from GP, making it "odd." JMO.

Regarding the 30th text, what was it the coroner said during an interview about this? I thought he corrected the guy interviewing him and said, "yellowstone." I saw this mentioned days ago...

Also, we don't know when the snapchat came on the 27th, do we?

Last edited:

AH, missed that article. But the top line where he mentions Moab report and BL's travel to Florida was above the first line of paper....as if added to the time line later.

The article was published sept 15, by then they knew about Moab right?

Her uncle Mike Schmidt posted this handwritten timeline of events
PUBLISHED: 16:08 EDT, 15 September 2021

I think he left Gabby's body where it was because he didn't anticipate somebody driving by the van, taking a video of it and then remembering it weeks later in order to tip police. That's one of the most stunning aspects of this case.

JMO

I was surprised that Gabby's body was found so fast or found at all.

That BL did not anticipate the van being spotted and video taped is another indication that BL was more a tourist and traveler than outdoorsman. BL would not have disposed of Gabby's body next to a popular campground with traffic. There are literally millions of acres of empty public land in the region much riddled with roads of various standards. BL is not the practical outdoorsman.

Urban people tend to have a much different perception of the "wilderness" (as opposed to legally designated "Wilderness"). I live on a National Forest inholding about 85 miles from the nearest stoplight. This is my home though lived much of my life elsewhere. In my teens and 20s worked locally for the USFS (69-81).

At one point there was much media coverage of the idea that marijuana growers were invading the National Forests. There was some truth but in general the growing of pot on the NFs was overblown (and continues to be today, most California pot is and has been grown on private not public lands. But urban refugees for a time would occasionally show up ready to farm from what was said in the media). One situation was comical. The Ranger District was roughly 300,000 acres and 99% federal ownership. These clowns showed up and went out the county road to the dump, thought they were in the wilderness, and cleared a farm and started living about 200 yards from the paved county road. The county road was the alternate route "upriver" to the State Highway on the other side of the river. Where they set up, was smack dab in the middle of what passes for a neighborhood locally and a within concentration of the rare private property intermixed with NF. It was maybe 3 miles from a small town of 600 (with USFS office). Anyone who went to the dump could see multiple vehicles parked on the road and locals could figure out exactly what was going on. There are literally of 100s of miles of now former logging roads to access the NF where one can drive for a day and maybe see no or several at most vehicles, slightly more during hunting season. Finally they did get busted in a major way but not until county and federal LE looked liked major fools to the locals. This is what I mean by different perceptions of what is wilderness.

This is why IMO it is nonsense BL is living off the land in a Florida swamp or walking the AT. One that would be hard and difficult compared to uncountable alternatives. Second is that BL just does not show anywhere that he has the skills. If BL is in the Florida swamp, he is a suicide.

Alternatively, there are many remote areas and cultures where BL could hide among people. For example, this time of year is the time for pot harvest (virtually all grown on private lands, some legal and some illegal). Each Fall there is a migration of folks who are called trimigrants. Trimigrants manicure harvested pot for sale or manufacture into refined products. Much is done on cash basis and people often use made up names like Rainbow or Swamp Gas or Emmett. Folks come from all over the USA and internationally to be trimigrants.

Let me be surprised and see BL found.

AH, missed that article. But the top line where he mentions Moab report and BL's travel to Florida was above the first line of paper....as if added to the time line later.

The article was published sept 15, by then they knew about Moab right?

Her uncle Mike Schmidt posted this handwritten timeline of events
PUBLISHED: 16:08 EDT, 15 September 2021

BBM, he posted a couple days earlier on FB, but we couldn't post it here since it was not MSM.

"If the couple were in fact together in Yosemite on August 30, that would mean Brian drove over 3,000 miles within two days to arrive in Florida on September 1." Boyfriend of missing Gabby Petito returned to Florida alone 10 DAYS before she was reported missing | Daily Mail Online
Not to mention back up north and east to Spread Creek for another approximately 1K miles first. MOO

The article also reproduces the Uncle's handwritten notes that include a notation that GP sent a snapchat to (Rose?) that she was heading to Yellowstone. Same day as Stan? I wonder what time. Before Merry Piglets, or after? BL could have sent that snap chat too. MOO

Google Maps

If they are using burner phones to communicate then would they be able to go completely undetected by LE so far as if the Laundrie house has had listening devices installed in it?

Surely the Laundries would have to assume that every word they speak is being listened to??

Maybe they're communicating via text message on the burner phones?

Or maybe I just watch too many movies haha

MOO
My crazy theory: if BL has a burner phone that can access the internet, maybe he and his parents each created, say, Twitter accounts, (though probably lots of similar social media would function the same way) with totally innocuous names and maybe even linked to new and totally innocuous email accounts.

Then they can tweet messages to each other, each posting on their own accounts as opposed to replying directly, but since only they know the accounts exist, no one is following and the accounts can't be tracked back to them.

MOO

I decided to look at some of the warnings. Not sure how effective this type of comment is which I found on a Facebook site: "Be on the lookout for Brian Laundrie IG @bizarre_design_ he is running from the law, dangerous, irresponsible and untrustworthy. FBI warrant for his arrest." Hopefully others posted his photo or even the wanted poster DTBH put together. Even so, if Brian were to shave his head, face and reshape his eyebrows, who would recognize him?

half of the WS comments suggest that BL is introverted, odd, manipulative, unfriendly, etc. And yet people also seem to think that he would be able to sidle up to a community and integrate right into it without causing any alarm, MO. If BL is really as temperamental and odd as is thought, he cannot just slip into a community for any amount of time without being lazy or entitled or temperamental or angry and alienating people. MOO.

My crazy theory: if BL has a burner phone that can access the internet, maybe he and his parents each created, say, Twitter accounts, (though probably lots of similar social media would function the same way) with totally innocuous names and maybe even linked to new and totally innocuous email accounts.

Then they can tweet messages to each other, each posting on their own accounts as opposed to replying directly, but since only they know the accounts exist, no one is following and the accounts can't be tracked back to them.

MOO

Telegram is the go to smartphone app for secure messaging for the average person.

What is Telegram and why should I use it?

Is it even possible that there was no mistake? Everyone seems to think BL used GP's phone all the time, so why not consider that he simply texted GP's mom because he wanted Stan to stop contacting them. If he was using her phone on the 27th (either before or after her death), which was not unusual, then to him, writing it the way he did made sense. Without knowing the time it was sent, or the time of her death, we can't possibly determine the source or reasoning behind this text. I figure BL didn't text NS from GP's phone regularly, so to NS it appeared to be coming from GP, making it "odd." JMO.

Regarding the 30th text, what was it the coroner said during an interview about this? I thought he corrected the guy interviewing him and said, "yellowstone." I saw this mentioned days ago...

Also, we don't know when the snapchat came on the 27th, do we?
No, but the friend (likely Rose MOO) certainly does and since she has spoken up quite a bit I wonder if she's been asked to not reveal anything about it. MOO

Is it possible BL used the wrong phone and thought he was sending the message to his mom? Maybe there is another Stan involved. jmo

It's my understanding that Gabby's mom said it was from Gabby - from her phone, in other words. And she thought it was weird at the time because Gabby didn't call the man "Stan."

I think it's early in the media thread - first few pages.

Definitely a mistake.

Why the mistake?
What about a predictive text error & <modsnip>

eg BL meant to type Yellowstone but didn't realise the phone had auto-typed Yosemite instead

Which it will not do, unless he. typed both a Y and an O. Even then, probably not. YOS..yes - hardly any words with that beginning.

Last edited by a moderator:
half of the WS comments suggest that BL is introverted, odd, manipulative, unfriendly, etc. And yet people also seem to think that he would be able to sidle up to a community and integrate right into it without causing any alarm, MO. If BL is really as temperamental and odd as is thought, he cannot just slip into a community for any amount of time without being lazy or entitled or temperamental or angry and alienating people. MOO.

You ever watch the movie "Dirty John"?

Based on a true story.

People like that exist.

What amount of time it takes for their true self to be exposed would be the big question.

I was surprised that Gabby's body was found so fast or found at all.

That BL did not anticipate the van being spotted and video taped is another indication that BL was more a tourist and traveler than outdoorsman. BL would not have disposed of Gabby's body next to a popular campground with traffic. There are literally millions of acres of empty public land in the region much riddled with roads of various standards. BL is not the practical outdoorsman.

Urban people tend to have a much different perception of the "wilderness" (as opposed to legally designated "Wilderness"). I live on a National Forest inholding about 85 miles from the nearest stoplight. This is my home though lived much of my life elsewhere. In my teens and 20s worked locally for the USFS (69-81).

At one point there was much media coverage of the idea that marijuana growers were invading the National Forests. There was some truth but in general the growing of pot on the NFs was overblown (and continues to be today, most California pot is and has been grown on private not public lands. But urban refugees for a time would occasionally show up ready to farm from what was said in the media). One situation was comical. The Ranger District was roughly 300,000 acres and 99% federal ownership. These clowns showed up and went out the county road to the dump, thought they were in the wilderness, and cleared a farm and started living about 200 yards from the paved county road. The county road was the alternate route "upriver" to the State Highway on the other side of the river. Where they set up, was smack dab in the middle of what passes for a neighborhood locally and a within concentration of the rare private property intermixed with NF. It was maybe 3 miles from a small town of 600 (with USFS office). Anyone who went to the dump could see multiple vehicles parked on the road and locals could figure out exactly what was going on. There are literally of 100s of miles of now former logging roads to access the NF where one can drive for a day and maybe see no or several at most vehicles, slightly more during hunting season. Finally they did get busted in a major way but not until county and federal LE looked liked major fools to the locals. This is what I mean by different perceptions of what is wilderness.

This is why IMO it is nonsense BL is living off the land in a Florida swamp or walking the AT. One that would be hard and difficult compared to uncountable alternatives. Second is that BL just does not show anywhere that he has the skills. If BL is in the Florida swamp, he is a suicide.

Alternatively, there are many remote areas and cultures where BL could hide among people. For example, this time of year is the time for pot harvest (virtually all grown on private lands, some legal and some illegal). Each Fall there is a migration of folks who are called trimigrants. Trimigrants manicure harvested pot for sale or manufacture into refined products. Much is done on cash basis and people often use made up names like Rainbow or Swamp Gas or Emmett. Folks come from all over the USA and internationally to be trimigrants.

Let me be surprised and see BL found.

You left out the most likely reason her body is where it was and not down a crevice somewhere out of the way. MOO it wasn't planned out. It happened there or very near that spot. He panicked and ran away from the creek and the van, and didn't come back until a day or two later to get the van before he drove home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici