Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #78

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris and SB are acting so unusual, I have to think that Brian admitted the murder. That info would cause them to be so extremely deliberate, cautious, and mysterious. IMO

when Banfield asked SB point blank “did Brian kill gabby?” and “did Brian tell his parents he killed gabby?” I got a strong sense that SB knows it’s yes. And yes. He paused, stammered, blushed ever so slightly. Anyone else see it?

I wonder if Brian eventually told them the same thing he said in Moab, “she was crazily attacking me and I was trying to hold her back “ he has the Moab incident to back up his story. So they all blame her and tried to protect Brian

Before I sign off on this website I just wanted to say I first tuned in because Gabby was missing and I wanted her found. Then when she was found dead I wanted the responsible party to be found. <modsnip> To be honest I feel sad that both parents lost a child but at the end of the day the person that killed her is dead also, so end of story. Yes things could have been done differently and handled better but it's not going to change things. It's a sad situation all around I just wish both of them could have had a better ending. I will always have a little piece of Gabby in my heart. Even though I didn't know her she was someone that I would have liked to.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Everybody else" found out when it came out in the media. I'm sure she meant that she found out when the public found out, through the media news.

I agree with you that in this case, ‘everybody else’ is like the Northern equivalent of the Southern ‘all y’all’, in Cassie’s lexicon.

She is aligning herself in ignorance with the great percentage of the population, and all but saying ‘my parents told me squat’.

I follow a LOT of true crime, and I can't think of one instance off the top of my head where a family member was charged with aiding and abetting after the suspect was dead, unless they were suspected to be complicit in the original crime.

Whatever the Laundries did after Brian returned home, they had NOTHING to do with her death. Even if they helped him escape, he's dead now. I just don't think law enforcement has the will or resources to prosecute them for anything. There are much more pressing crimes to pursue.

JMO of course.

I can't think of another case similar to this one. The L's have already changed the date of when they last saw their "distressed" son at least once that I know of. IMO most parents would not forget something as important as when they last saw their son before he went on the run and became the focus of a manhunt. Though somehow the L's did. That alone is fishy IMO.
LE has access to phone records, video from cameras all over the town BL lives in as well as the cameras installed at the neighbors' house (s) recording the L house. IMO I think that the various videos of BL as well as the phone records will show that the timeline is still off and that someone in the L circle was not being forthcoming with LE. Had they been honest with LE from the beginning, their son could have been taken into custody sooner and alive. If they did anything to stop that from happening, they should be prosecuted for it. IMO.

I follow a LOT of true crime, and I can't think of one instance off the top of my head where a family member was charged with aiding and abetting after the suspect was dead, unless they were suspected to be complicit in the original crime.

Whatever the Laundries did after Brian returned home, they had NOTHING to do with her death. Even if they helped him escape, he's dead now. I just don't think law enforcement has the will or resources to prosecute them for anything. There are much more pressing crimes to pursue.

JMO of course.
There could be charges unrelated to her death.
For example, and I'm not saying this happened because I do not know, but if they had lied to the FBI at any stage that would be charged I imagine.
If it became known that they knew the location of Gabby's body and withheld that information from search parties at the time, they could be in trouble.
If they knew their son intended suiciding to evade justice, it could be an issue too.
If Gabby's van had been cleaned with chemicals in an effort to mask a cadaverine smell and if it was known they assisted, cos neighbours notice stuff, there could be a problem.

That makes sense.

It was briefly mentioned in the previous thread that the Laundrie parents had stopped communicating with their daughter at some point ?

I HOPE his sister Cassie found out about the discovery of the remains from her parents -- and not the media or LE !!!!
IF she found out via the media or LE, that is wrong on so many levels.
:(

MOO.

Have we seen Cassie over at her parents house yesterday or today or even after BL was found? No we have not.

So, I guess she was probably informed by LE.

"Everybody else" found out when it came out in the media. I'm sure she meant that she found out when the public found out, through the media news.
BL being 10 years her junior most likely made her the scapegoat .
This is just MOO thinking out loud.
I give her props for speaking out.
I’m looking forward to all the puzzle pieces.

MOO

We learned from SB last night that he spoke with BL on the 12th and 13th, IIRC. And that (without specific dates) separately with CL and to both parents together. And as Banfield pounced on him.........he spoke to all 3 together at times. Oops.

I really wonder what that conversation was, if that conversation with the lawyer is what made BL leave in so much grief and distress. The lawyer had by that time communicated with the FBI. Maybe SB told BL what they, the FBI, already knew. Or,maybe the lawyer made it sound even worse than it was, to light a fire under BL...to leave. Because, as others have mentioned, SB was having to protect part of his clients, and he knew it was hopeless to protect or represent the 2 different entities...parents vs BL. IMO

Now maybe the lawyer was telling BL to turn himself in, but I really doubt that. He may have been saying something like look at the danger you are putting your folks in. How can you DO that to them.

So the lawyer can try to convince people that Bl left to go on a normal camping trip, but it makes sense to me that Brian left the house in the condition he was in because of guilt as to what he did to gabby, (and the publicity about her gone missing, the van being driven home by him, etc) but mainly from whatever the lawyer told him on the phone.

The lawyer did not appear to be counseling the parents to get Brian home. Just the opposite, IMO.
I agree and I share your thoughts on this.

I didn’t understand the focus on the word “grieving” because it is often used, at least colloquially, to describe the reaction to any loss (breakup, missing, heck, I’ve even heard it about a lost job and a bad haircut)…not just death.
But
This statement is odd. Nobody but the person who was with Gabby when she died would have known she was dead on 9/13. Maybe he meant “the speculation that she was dead” but it still doesn’t come off very well IMO

“In an interview with News Nation’s Ashleigh Banfield, attorney Steve Bertolino said Chris and Roberta Laundrie knew that Brian Laundrie would at times go hiking for days with no problem. At the time, Bertolino said, they thought their son was trying to get away from the speculation around the disappearance and death of his fianceé, Gabby Petito.

link:

Brian Laundrie’s parents ‘weren’t concerned’ he hurt himself at first, lawyer says | WFLA
I’m fascinated by the “grieving” issue. I work in a psychology practice, & we use the word grieving pretty liberally, the vast majority of times to do with abrupt life changes, trauma exposures, etc, definitely not exclusively to do with a death.

Why I’m fascinated is because SB walked that word back so fully—it was the wrong word, he said, & he had said it because he was tired. Ok, that could be true. However, he could have so easily said something like, “everyone wants to take it the wrong way, BL was obviously grieving that they broke up in Wyoming.” But instead, he says BL actually wasn’t grieving, like at all, for anything.

The idea that he so fully backed away from that word suggests to me that there had only been one connotation in mind when he used that word—that of a death. The other possible interpretations for “grieving” weren’t in his mind both at the time he used it, or after, when asked about its possible implications.

And of course, as you mentioned too, anyone grieving the death of Gabby on Sept 13 was the killer, because only the killer knew she was dead then.

JMO

I’m waiting for more info about the weeklong break BL took to fly back to FL to “empty out the storage locker”.

IMO the lack of focus on what GP was doing, where she stayed, if they communicated, what BL was doing for the rest of the time he wasn’t emptying a locker I makes me think it’s important.

Whilst I realise the Laundries haven't spoken about this ( other than lawyers statement) & I don't expect to get more info from then on the storage unit trip does anybody remember if Gabby's parents also seemed to take that excuse at face value?

JMO of course.
I think the real worry is if there are inconsistencies with what SB or the parents have told LE and whatever surveillance or evidence LE has.

Regardless of what the lawyer said or didn't say, the fact that Brian was found dead in the Park a short distance from where the Mustang was parked and the parents saying they were concerned about his welfare when he left, confirm for me, at least, that Brian was very upset went he left the house and intended to attempt suicide. Which he then did, successfully. As someone else recently posted, this case is pretty straightforward if you leave aside all the speculation. jmo
Well said.
To put it bluntly: Murder / Suicide
IMO

Before I sign off on this website I just wanted to say I first tuned in because Gabby was missing and I wanted her found. Then when she was found dead I wanted the responsible party to be found. <modsnip> To be honest I feel sad that both parents lost a child but at the end of the day the person that killed her is dead also, so end of story. Yes things could have been done differently and handled better but it's not going to change things. It's a sad situation all around I just wish both of them could have had a better ending. I will always have a little piece of Gabby in my heart. Even though I didn't know her she was someone that I would have liked to.

Yes, there are no winners here. It's a tragedy all around for those who loved Gabby and Brian.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may have already been discussed as I’m a thread behind.
Remember when SB announced on September 20 that he would hold a press conference the following day in New York?
Here is just one of the reporters who tweeted about it, with his official announcement on letterhead attached, talking about press set-up.

At 11:37 am

https://twitter.com/gaillevyontv/status/1440007341513007109?s=21
BrianLaundrie’s lawyer just told me there will be a press conference in NY tomorrow.

At 8:26 pm same day September 20

https://twitter.com/gaillevyontv/status/1440140249208745989?s=12
LAUNDRIE’S LAWYER CANCELED THE PRESS CONFERENCE! He just texted me:

“As per my conversation with the FBI this evening there will be no press conference tomorrow.”

what do y’all think SB was going to say ? What did FBI do or say to change his mind?

Attachments

• B05A4B51-25EF-420B-85FD-27B2B7656B00.jpeg
    B05A4B51-25EF-420B-85FD-27B2B7656B00.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 7
Have we seen Cassie over at her parents house yesterday or today or even after BL was found? No we have not.

So, I guess she was probably informed by LE.
bbm
If this is the scenario -- it's tragic beyond words.
Imo.

BL being 10 years her junior most likely made her the scapegoat .
This is just MOO thinking out loud.
I give her props for speaking out.
I’m looking forward to all the puzzle pieces.

MOO
bbm
Ita.
Indeed.

This is a really great post @ctmom. Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #77

As stated earlier, I think this is a problem for them. MOO. I do not believe these conditions existed during the entire week and even early into the next week when the search initially began. They had a week to go go look for him and "find him within 2o minutes" back then. But, they didn't. Until we get forensics back with a hopeful time of death range, I still stand by the possibility that Brian was not initially in that Reserve. Rather, he only went to it after the heat on his sister and his parents. There is not reporting that I have found indicating the Reserve was flooded on September 13 -17. MOO

It had started raining around the time of the MP report and was becoming wet and swampy
https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1439282240693878785

By September 19th there was visible water but, they were still walking in it just fine. It was not yet "chest-high water". MOO
https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1439588129984425985

https://twitter.com/BrianEntin?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

They had the whole week prior to go look for him. IMO it is possible they didn't do this because they didn't think (or they knew) that he was there at that time. JMO MOO Not fact. If TOD comes back to his departure on 9/13, I think the parents' exposure lessens significantly. MOO

There could be charges unrelated to her death.
For example, and I'm not saying this happened because I do not know, but if they had lied to the FBI at any stage that would be charged I imagine.
If it became known that they knew the location of Gabby's body and withheld that information from search parties at the time, they could be in trouble.
If they knew their son intended suiciding to evade justice, it could be an issue too.
If Gabby's van had been cleaned with chemicals in an effort to mask a cadaverine smell and if it was known they assisted, cos neighbours notice stuff, there could be a problem.

I get what you are saying, and you make some excellent points.

But I just don't think LE has the resources to pursue these avenues when worse crimes have to be investigated.

I don't mean worse crimes than Gabby's murder. I mean worse crimes than what the Laundries might have done afterward to protect him, just for clarification.

He is concerned that they may have some legal jeopardy here, and he has mentioned having talks w FBI about what sort of jeopardy they may be in. So, he is trying to soften up the public's view of them before any of their story comes out. They may be perfectly in the clear, we don't know what they knew and when they knew it and what they did or didn't do about it. We only know that they were heartless toward Gabby's family, and that we see absolutely NO excuse for that. jmo
Cady you just made me think of something. Last night on Banfield after railing at the whole world, he softened completely when talking about LE—“I don’t blame them, & you shouldn’t blame them.” That took me off guard—his change of tone, for one thing, & also that he harbours no hard feelings at all? He’s not mad for example that FBI didn’t convey to NPPD that he told them BL was missing? Or that they dispute so many of his public statements? I didn’t know what to make of it but now based on what you say I wonder if in his junket he’s trying to ingratiate himself to LE if he feels he or the family face any exposure? JMO

This may have already been discussed as I’m a thread behind.
Remember when SB announced on September 20 that he would hold a press conference the following day in New York?
Here is just one of the reporters who tweeted about it, with his official announcement on letterhead attached, talking about press set-up.

At 11:37 am

https://twitter.com/gaillevyontv/status/1440007341513007109?s=21
BrianLaundrie’s lawyer just told me there will be a press conference in NY tomorrow.

At 8:26 pm same day September 20

https://twitter.com/gaillevyontv/status/1440140249208745989?s=12
LAUNDRIE’S LAWYER CANCELED THE PRESS CONFERENCE! He just texted me:

“As per my conversation with the FBI this evening there will be no press conference tomorrow.”

what do y’all think SB was going to say ? What did FBI do or say to change his mind?
I remember it well but I'd forgotten it.
It's significant, I imagine. Thanks for finding it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member