Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same account set up as Gabby did with CapitalOne. I have extended credit that kicks in as overdraft protection. I could link savings for the same reasons, but choose not to use it. JMO
Yes, that's usually called a reserve line (tho I don't know Capital One's terminology specifically). That scenario typically requires some level of creditworthiness (as it is actual credit), so for young people without or without much established credit already, banks typically suggest using the savings account as the backup. There may be a monthly fee (typically a year of fees prices out as a bit more than a single overdraft charge if you don't have protection), though often banks will waive overdraft protection product fees if you keep a minimum or minimum average amount of money in the savings account.

I have the same account set up as Gabby did with CapitalOne. I have extended credit that kicks in as overdraft protection. I could link savings for the same reasons, but choose not to use it. JMO

Me too. I posted about it many threads ago. I have everything linked. I've been with Capital One since it was ING Direct. Same for my husband. Super easy.

What.changed?
For one, the day Brian was last seen. The attorney first said one day, then when challenged corrected it to another day. So I can understand the confusion of those who come here stating a theory based on an incorrect date.
To say it another way, I have sympathy for those who have posted here and have gotten dates wrong.

A debit card can be tied to more than one acount at the same bank. When I use my debit card for a purchase, it defaults to my checking account, but I can go to the ATM and get money from either my checking or savings accounts.
Just to add to your post. My Mom and I own a house together, and therefore we have a "house account" for paying bills, upkeep, etc. BOTH she and I have separate debit cards with separate card numbers for that account. I can also use my debit card to access my personal checking and savings accounts at the same same bank through the ATM. I can also transfer funds between all accounts that have my name on them by using the bank app on my phone or online using my password/fingerprint. As an example, I am tied to 4 accounts. House Checking Account, Personal Checking Account, Personal Savings Account, My Son's Checking Account.

For one, the day Brian was last seen.

Which I still don't understand how parents can forget when they have last seen their child, who lives with them AND came home without his fiancé. Just a bit strange to me, but I guess it's plausible that not every parent remembers when they last see their children. Maybe just harder for me since my kids are so young.

Thank you for posting this. The WFLA timeline does not say that there was a wellness check on Sept 10th. Does anyone know if there is anything official that shows that a wellness check happened on Sept 10th?
Tho I personally believe that JP requested a welfare check for GP at wabasso ave and that nppd enacted it on 9/10, I have never found any evidence to substantiate my theory. It is frustrating to see it posted here so often as fact. The only evidence we have are the redacted police reports and call sheet. They do not confirm what the police calls were. All moo.

Last edited:
Thanks. That make sense. I never thought there were 3 accounts but some people seemed so sure!

So to use/get $ from the acct with the debit card you would use the card and PIN. Very common way to access an acct. How is the other account accessed? With just a PIN? I'm not understanding that unless somehow her phone was involved. What am I missing?
JMO
I have a debit card and pin - the same card/pin accesses all 5 of my accounts at my bank - I have a "throwaway" checking used only for online payments, regular checking, joint checking and two savings accounts - I just choose which account to withdraw or deposit into when the choices are displayed after entering the pin. That's how mine works.
JMo

Why did BL walk 16+ miles to Colter Bay on or around August 28? I'm certain LE knows when he was there. Why didn't he drive? Was he afraid to be seen in the van without Gabby or was he worried that he had some type of evidence on his body that might transfer to the upholster (the covering for the driver seat is missing when the van gets home)? He didn't strike me as a person who was interested in actual forensics or human biology, so he might not have known when products of decomp could be smelled on a person or a thing (most people don't know that).

I figure he walked to Colter Bay to take a shower. I think he took Gabby's ATM card and used it there and that LE had that footage very early on. Now clean, he tries to hitchhike back, but is overly anxious, doesn't realize there's a road to Jackson that doesn't go by the campground turn-off, etc. Apparently he did not think to procure a cheap paper map at Colter Bay (NPS has them for about a dollar or a person can study one on the wall for free).

He may have disposed of some evidence at Colter Bay as well - such as the shirt or entire outfit he was wearing when he killed Gabby. He may also have spent the night of the 28th there, which accounts for the hitchhiking on the 29th. If the tent had indeed been put up (or taken out of the van), that has to be put back in the van - it's possible he did that before he left for Colter Bay, it's possible he hid Gabby in the tent for that period of time (because people do walk up and down the creek area, it's scenic).

Of course, he then had a real problem with decomp issues (so he may have discarded more clothing and perhaps that's why he eventually realizes he needs to get rid of the seat cover). He may have purchased brand new clothing at some point.

I do wonder if we'll ever know any of this for sure though - I'm thinking maybe not, not unless there's a "retired FBI agent" in the future who wants to write a book.

Which I still don't understand how parents can forget when they have last seen their child, who lives with them AND came home without his fiancé. Just a bit strange to me, but I guess it's plausible that not every parent remembers when they last see their children. Maybe just harder for me since my kids are so young.
My son is 20 and I can tell you within an hour the last time I saw him.

Tho I personally believe that JP requested a welfare check for GP at wabasso ave and that nppd enacted it on 9/10, I have never found any evidence to substantiate my theory. It is frustrating to see it posted here so often as fact. The only evidence we have are the redacted police reports and call sheet. They do not confirm what the police calls were. All moo.
Some of the confusion with the timeline may be due to the early reporting -
NORTH PORT, Fla. - Gabby Petito’s father was involved in a "public service" incident at her fiancé Brian Laundrie’s home on Sept. 10, nine days after he returned to Florida without her from a cross-country road trip and a day before she was reported missing by her mother, according to heavily redacted police reports.

Nearly everything but the time and address is redacted due to the open investigation, but the documents do link Joseph Petito to a police response at the home where his daughter lived with Laundrie and his parents at 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 10. They then returned twice on Sept. 11 for follow-up investigations.
Gabby Petito's dad linked to incident at Laundrie home evening before she was reported missing

There also was information given during the Dr Phil show that may not have a MSM link to back it up.

Why did BL walk 16+ miles to Colter Bay on or around August 28? I'm certain LE knows when he was there. Why didn't he drive? Was he afraid to be seen in the van without Gabby or was he worried that he had some type of evidence on his body that might transfer to the upholster (the covering for the driver seat is missing when the van gets home)? He didn't strike me as a person who was interested in actual forensics or human biology, so he might not have known when products of decomp could be smelled on a person or a thing (most people don't know that).

I figure he walked to Colter Bay to take a shower. I think he took Gabby's ATM card and used it there and that LE had that footage very early on. Now clean, he tries to hitchhike back, but is overly anxious, doesn't realize there's a road to Jackson that doesn't go by the campground turn-off, etc. Apparently he did not think to procure a cheap paper map at Colter Bay (NPS has them for about a dollar or a person can study one on the wall for free).

He may have disposed of some evidence at Colter Bay as well - such as the shirt or entire outfit he was wearing when he killed Gabby. He may also have spent the night of the 28th there, which accounts for the hitchhiking on the 29th. If the tent had indeed been put up (or taken out of the van), that has to be put back in the van - it's possible he did that before he left for Colter Bay, it's possible he hid Gabby in the tent for that period of time (because people do walk up and down the creek area, it's scenic).

Of course, he then had a real problem with decomp issues (so he may have discarded more clothing and perhaps that's why he eventually realizes he needs to get rid of the seat cover). He may have purchased brand new clothing at some point.

I do wonder if we'll ever know any of this for sure though - I'm thinking maybe not, not unless there's a "retired FBI agent" in the future who wants to write a book.
I agree with this being the most likely scenario. The only small point I'd add is that he was possibly camped beside water, he could have used it to wash but still have made the trip to discard evidence, possibly her belongings, her phone and all she owned..
I'm guessing or hoping that LE have a lot more evidence of his escapades, possibly eye witnesses, possibly items he discarded..

NORTH PORT, Fla. - Gabby Petito’s father was involved in a "public service" incident at her fiancé Brian Laundrie’s home on Sept. 10, nine days after he returned to Florida without her from a cross-country road trip and a day before she was reported missing by her mother, according to heavily redacted police reports.

Nearly everything but the time and address is redacted due to the open investigation, but the documents do link Joseph Petito to a police response at the home where his daughter lived with Laundrie and his parents at 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 10. They then returned twice on Sept. 11 for follow-up investigations.
Gabby Petito's dad linked to incident at Laundrie home evening before she was reported missing

There also was information given during the Dr Phil show that may not have a MSM link to back it up.
Absolutely. These are things that foster my belief. We do not, however, know for a fact that there was a literal ‘welfare check’

also interesting, bbm. Not described as GP’s home

Me too. I posted about it many threads ago. I have everything linked. I've been with Capital One since it was ING Direct. Same for my husband. Super easy.

me too with ING Direct. ha ha! Also the use of the debit card can be used at any atm with a fee, but is accepted at CVS and Walgreen's at no charge. Few and far between in the brick and mortar locations.

Your scenario could be very possible. Maybe he was just trying to get away from the scene and was in shock and very paranoid of being immediately discovered.

I like it. JMO

I have a debit card and pin - the same card/pin accesses all 5 of my accounts at my bank - I have a "throwaway" checking used only for online payments, regular checking, joint checking and two savings accounts - I just choose which account to withdraw or deposit into when the choices are displayed after entering the pin. That's how mine works.
JMo

I rarely use ATMs. Haven't for years. But when I access accts online using an app, I need a password and that's definitely not my debit card PIN. I'd never set it up that way and the PIN would be too short for a password and also wouldn't fit bank requirements at my bank. I wouldn't think BL would have had the PW too or else that would have been an "access device" if a PIN is. I guess one acct could have been set up as overdraft protection-- certainly didn't have that when I was 22 but maybe Gabby did. Back when I was 22 banks were fairly stringent about credit history as I recall.

Thanks for all who answered my questions!

JMO

Thank you for posting this. The WFLA timeline does not say that there was a wellness check on Sept 10th. Does anyone know if there is anything official that shows that a wellness check happened on Sept 10th?

It's in the call reports provided by the NPPD in response to a FOIA request. The link to the reports is buried back somewhere in earlier threads.... sorry.... I don't have it bookmarked on this computer. Maybe there is somebody who can find it quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637