Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way officers might have been able to discover -- by the time they visited the house the 11th-- that Brian had traveled home to Florida in the van alone?
Before the visit on the 11th? I wonder what you are getting at here?

Before the visit on the 11th? I wonder what you are getting at here?

Anytime before they showed up at the door. For example, they already knew that the van was in Florida because they had captured the plates at the offramp -- did they know more? Did they already know somehow (how?) that Gabby wasn't likely to be in the home? Trying to sort out who might have known what when.

There is no question that the Laundrie parents were prioritizing the protection of their son above all else. I agree that is probably every parents' first response. Certainly, they were under no legal obligation to respond to Gabby's family ~ no matter how desperately they pleaded for help.
So, IMO, self preservation won over decency. Forget that part about trying to treat others as you hope they would treat you. Don't have to walk in anyone else's shoes. And, as for 'it takes a village' ~ No thanks you take care of the village; I'll take care of my own.
So yes, all actions (and lack of) on the Laundrie part were legal and justified because they were protecting their son.
And just look at how that turned out for them in the end. Mournfully sad.
I don't think.it was.going to.end any differently!
No matter what they did!
Jmo

There is no question that the Laundrie parents were prioritizing the protection of their son above all else. I agree that is probably every parents' first response. Certainly, they were under no legal obligation to respond to Gabby's family ~ no matter how desperately they pleaded for help.
So, IMO, self preservation won over decency. Forget that part about trying to treat others as you hope they would treat you. Don't have to walk in anyone else's shoes. And, as for 'it takes a village' ~ No thanks you take care of the village; I'll take care of my own.
So yes, all actions (and lack of) on the Laundrie part were legal and justified because they were protecting their son.
And just look at how that turned out for them in the end. Mournfully sad.
My opinion tends to lean towards the Laundries at least in some way thought BL may have had something to do with the disappearance/murder of GP. I really feel like they would have offered up any information, no matter how small, if they truly believed he was innocent. At most, they didn't have anything to prove he wasn't involved or that definitely would have been offered up.

IMO, if there was anything at all to even hint that BL was not involved, say, they knew for a fact he had already left GT during the time frame everything happened, they would have said that. Yes, they were well within their right to hire an attorney for BL and themselves, but someone who fully believes they are innocent would have then went to speak to LE with their attorney to clear their name.

Once everything hit the fan, media was camped outside their door, protestors were in the street, one would think their priority would have been getting BL out of that POI status so that the focus would be shifted to finding the person actually responsible.

As stated before, SB has made it abundantly clear in every interview he's given that the Laundries cooperated with LE with regards to locating BL. I mentioned this earlier in the week, but my comment was deleted for lacking a source and I didn't have time to go find it at that point. I've found it now, SB told GMA that he thought everybody knew that he and/or the Laundries had some information to share but there wasn't much they could say at that point in time. It's around 3:25, if my link doesn't actually work right - and it rarely ever does.

So now it is undisputed that they have information. We just have to wait for the information to be released, if it ever is.

Edit: Of course it doesn't automatically start there. I'll get it right one day..

Nice. "Brian Laundrie's family stated that the subject was not at the residence and they did not know her whereabouts."

BBM. So the Laundries told LE they did not know where Gabby was. And since they seem to be LE savvy I think it is safe to say they knew not to lie to the police, since that in itself is a crime. It therefore seems highly likely that Brian did not tell his parents where Gabby was so they were in no position to help the Petito family find Gabby.

Anytime before they showed up at the door. For example, they already knew that the van was in Florida because they had captured the plates at the offramp -- did they know more? Did they already know somehow (how?) that Gabby wasn't likely to be in the home? Trying to sort out who might have known what when.
I don’t know how or why they would. I will tell you, fwiw, early in the case I had this theory (based on zero evidence or facts, only on speedy fbi involvement once GP missing person case was opened) that fbi was already working a case that somehow tied into this one. I am not referring specifically to the Moab couple or any case in particular. I’ve let that theory go, tho. All moo

But why is that unacceptable? As parents the rules of engagement go out the window, parent's will always try to protect their children if they can. L's are no different, they hired a lawyer to protect BL. As far as we know right now, that's all they did. JMHO
BBM
I beg to differ.

"Meanwhile, the Petito family's attorney, Richard Stafford, said the Laundries are not doing enough to help with this investigation. Some are speculating that Brian's parents, Chris and Roberta Laundrie, know more than they are letting on."

"The Laundries did not help us find Gabby, they sure are not going to help us find Brian," Stafford said. "For Brian, we're asking you to turn yourself in to the FBI or the nearest law enforcement agency."

Petito case: Investigators know when sister talked to Laundrie, lawyer says

I never said that they had an obligation to say anything. In fact, as an attorney, I understand why they didn't! I just said that maybe that they didn't care about GP's life. I also said that even with SB representing BL, BL did not have to talk. It is my opinion that they didn't care about GP's life.

I also didn't say that the parents committed a crime; in fact, unless there's more information pointing to such that we don't know about, I don't think that they DID commit a crime.

To me, this isn't a legal issue. It's a moral one. The judicial system under our constitution is designed to protect people from deprivation of liberty without due process. It's intended to protect the innocent and prevent the government from unlawful takings, of your property, freedom, life. But because imperfect humans are limited by their imperfection to creating an imperfect system that protects the guilty along with the innocent. But that is NOT the intention. And this isn't even about whether he's guilty.

It's about morality and human decency. I'm not willing to limit moral obligations to legal obligations. Of course one is free to be immoral. That is your right. But there are always limits on rights. They can be voluntary or imposed by law. The Laundries refused to voluntarily accept any limit at all on those rights. I find that immoral under these circumstances.

I have felt this way from the beginning and time and information have only intensified that opinion. In large part because I think the lawyer's handling of this matter was reckless and that someone better equipped may have been in a better position to possibly save Brian's life. In this situation, in patient mental health care could have been pretty easily obtained. The Laundries & attorney obviously knew this was a serious matter and seem to have known Brian was in great distress.

So lots of rights got exercised by family members based on the lawyers advice and now Brian is dead. Rights will not save you from the mental consequences of your actions, only the legal ones.

To me, this isn't a legal issue. It's a moral one. The judicial system under our constitution is designed to protect people from deprivation of liberty without due process. It's intended to protect the innocent and prevent the government from unlawful takings, of your property, freedom, life. But because imperfect humans are limited by their imperfection to creating an imperfect system that protects the guilty along with the innocent. But that is NOT the intention. And this isn't even about whether he's guilty.

It's about morality and human decency. I'm not willing to limit moral obligations to legal obligations. Of course one is free to be immoral. That is your right. But there are always limits on rights. They can be voluntary or imposed by law. The Laundries refused to voluntarily accept any limit at all on those rights. I find that immoral under these circumstances.

I have felt this way from the beginning and time and information have only intensified that opinion. In large part because I think the lawyer's handling of this matter was reckless and that someone better equipped may have been in a better position to possibly save Brian's life. In this situation, in patient mental health care could have been pretty easily obtained. The Laundries & attorney obviously knew this was a serious matter and seem to have known Brian was in great distress.

So lots of rights got exercised by family members based on the lawyers advice and now Brian is dead. Rights will not save you from the mental consequences of your actions, only the legal ones.
Cuomo on right to remain silent: "There's no question they have the right. I've never suggested anything else. But having a right and something being the right thing to do are often different."

This is a quote from the night SB interviewed with Chris Cuomo. It has always stuck with me.

What is wrong with this possible conversation when LE showed up at the Laundries'.

LE: "Hi there. Could we speak with Gabby Petito please."

Parent: "She's not here. We haven't seen her in a long time. Brian came home without her."

LE: "You haven't seen her?"

Parent: "No."

LE: "Could I speak with Brian Laundrie please."

Parent: "Sure. Just hold on a second, I'll go get him."

Brian: "I think I need a lawyer."

Parent: "Sorry, Brian doesn't want to talk with you. He has asked for a lawyer."

LE: "Do you know where Gabby is?"

Parent: "Sorry, Brian has asked for a lawyer. We would like to confer with him before answering any questions."
Instead of a faux conversation here is real information:

"As a father, I can imagine the pain and suffering Gabby’s family is going through,” North Port Police Chief Todd Garrison said. “We are pleading with anyone, including Brian, to share information with us on her whereabouts in the past few weeks. The lack of information from Brian is hindering this investigation. The answers will eventually come out. We will help find Gabby and we will help find anyone who may be involved in her disappearance.”

Gabby Petito timeline: Remains found in Wyoming fit description of missing 22-year-old

BBM
Where is your link to prove this information? Otherwise it is just your own opinion. You need to support it with MSM.

Yes, of course it is my opinion based on the facts of the case. Everything people write here is their opinion. However, nearly everything I have written IS supported by MSM or is provably factual.

Verify SB's areas of practice for yourself here:
The East Islip Law Offices of Steven P. Bertolino, P.C.

The Laundries business information is available online for anyone who cares to look, but as they have not been accused of a crime, we cannot sleuth them here. Needless to say, their business address IS their home address. So, no, I do not need to support that with MSM when it is supported by public information.

Mr. Bertolino has said repeatedly that he has known the Laundries and been their attorney for decades in various on-camera interviews. What relationship do you think that describes? He is either under a retainer, a retainer agreement or they simply use him as their attorney for everything they need in the way of business, real estate, criminal and personal injury law but the fact remains, he IS the attorney they have used over and over and over again through the years. People online, here, in particular, have mischaracterized him as a "real estate" attorney, but simply looking at his webpage proves that to be false.

Maybe you think it is unusual for a small business to have an attorney, but it is not. I do know of small business owners who try to go it alone without an attorney, but it mostly results in a business failure or other hardships that could have been circumvented through the use of an attorney.
https://www.business.com/images/content/58a/da0bd2f87b1207f721220/0-0-/

Earlier this morning someone here mentioned there was a MIP charge on one of the LE papers in regards to BL. IF the Laundries have had past experience with LE in regards to BL, then they would have known NOT to talk to LE and just give the card. I have no idea if BL was ever charged with anything before, but, if he had been, that might also explain the Laundries behavior in handing LE the attorney's card right away. JMO.

LE didn't show up at the Laundries door before Sept 11 (possibly night of 10th) because it took Gabby's mom pushing Suffolk County LE to finally file a missing person report and Gabby's Dad physically showing up at NPPD to push for help in finding their daughter.

LE didn't show up at the Laundries door before Sept 11 (possibly night of 10th) because it took Gabby's mom pushing Suffolk County LE to finally file a missing person report and Gabby's Dad physically showing up at NPPD to push for help in finding their daughter.

Well...yeah. I don't know what it's like in all 50 states, but in general, unless the person who is trying to report a missing person actually goes to the police station, they aren't going to be prioritized. Half of the missing people reported each day are found by family members without assistance from LE - and there's little to no relationship to how people act in terms of urgency and presentation of facts...and whether the person will voluntarily show up.

LE cannot do everything. It often takes some pushing to find the right jurisdiction for a MP report - it's not an ongoing crime; it's not a crime at all.

I'm trying to put myself in the Laundries shoes, and I think I would have done exactly as I imagine they did.

Brian comes home alone. Naturally, I would question him. He tells me that he got into a fight with Gabby and she decided to go with her friend and will be back later. This makes sense to me as Gabby had talked about meeting up with her friend before and I knew her and Brian were having issues. I have no reason to try and verify the information.

I miss a call from Gabby's parents, and they leave a voice mail saying that she is missing. I question Brian. He is evasive and overly emotional. Worried, I call my long time friend and lawyer. He tells to me to not talk and emphasizes the damage I might do by talking. Shocked and fearful of putting my son at risk, I heed his advice. I believe that Brian is innocent but worry he is not telling me the whole story. His story about Gabby going off with her girlfriend is clearly not true.

I continue to try and talk to Brian and get information. He resists and I'm starting to suspect something awful happened though I don't want to believe it. I continue to follow my lawyers advice, as I don't have anything of value to say to the Laundries in any case. I don't know where Gabby is or even her last location. I'm scared, but still hopeful that he is innocent. My mind is going in a million directions and all I can do, is trust my lawyer and continue to pressure Brian.

After a few days of fighting with Brian, he leaves to go hiking. I try to stop him, but he goes anyway. It's the last time I will see him. My world is ending and I am helpless, confused and heartbroken.

They find Gabby's body. Brian is gone. I fear they will find his body next. I have nothing useful to say and am emotionally and mentally spent. The protesters and press are a never ending torment. I will continue to follow my lawyers advice. There is nothing left to do.

I wonder how this tragic event would have turned out IF the L’s answered G’s mother’s desperate calls at the beginning and they and BL spoke with LE, instead of referring to their business attorney. But I guess it wouldn’t matter much, as G would still be dead, and BL would be in prison. IMO

BBM
I beg to differ.

"Meanwhile, the Petito family's attorney, Richard Stafford, said the Laundries are not doing enough to help with this investigation. Some are speculating that Brian's parents, Chris and Roberta Laundrie, know more than they are letting on."

"The Laundries did not help us find Gabby, they sure are not going to help us find Brian," Stafford said. "For Brian, we're asking you to turn yourself in to the FBI or the nearest law enforcement agency."

Petito case: Investigators know when sister talked to Laundrie, lawyer says

I understand the Petito family's perspective and I absolutely don't disagree with it either. I'm a parent so I understand all people involved and their perspective.

I'm sure the pain is immeasurable, so I don't discount their suffering. However I don't know all of this case as it pertains to everyone's feelings but until LE speaks at some point about the resolution of this case, I can feel for all involved.

MOO

They did not tell the parents. They lawyered up and then told LE AFTER the Petitos finally were able to file a missing person report.

They never took a single call.

there have been so many explanations of their rights to not take the call.

And these explanations have sounded very logical in the sense of law.

I own a business and do not have an attorney on retainer. I've been involved in innumerable start-ups, and we engaged attorneys but did not have them "on retainer," for what it's worth. I would be willing to bet that "having an attorney on retainer" is a rarity for a routine small business. JMO.

But having a friend as your lawyer, would net legal advice.

Is there any way officers might have been able to discover -- by the time they visited the house the 11th-- that Brian had traveled home to Florida in the van alone?

I think they knew. I mean, Gabby doesn't present herself despite LE being at the door and my claim is that there's no way that 4 adults live in a 1400 sf house and the police come to the door...and only 3 out of 4 know about it. Since LE is specifically asking for Gabby, if Gabby had been there, someone would have said so or somehow urged her to go to the door.

I think LE knew right away when the MPR was filed and the van was seen at Wabasso, and then...Gabby doesn't come to the door, that this is a real MP case, with a potentially (very) dark outcome. And they put the pedal to the metal at that point.

I agree. However, as I also said, I can not understand, or agree with the decision, once they had spoken with said counsel, not to speak to the police. BL was also represented by SB and while The Ls may have had no idea where she was (like your example), BL may have. His future wife may have been in serious danger. If the overriding concern were their legal rights, and the right to have counsel present, they had it. IMO their concern for the life of GP could have then been addressed.

and oops for apparently posting a bad msm link about the mustang. sorry. I’m looking for other verification on that.

ITA. If I found myself in the same situation (I have a VERY different type of lawyer on my speed dial), I would have insisted on conveying to LE, through my attorney, everything I knew about the case. I would have definitely gotten my kid an attorney, and I can relate to having one attorney represent the family initially, because I live in a small town too. But my goal would have been to help find Gabby - without compromising my own kid's legal case. Because I would have had no way to know the actual facts at that time.

BL knew where Gabby was, though - that's the problem. And most parents would have that option on the table. There's no way he didn't know the last place and time where he saw her. But they knew it would send him to prison (at least get him in jail and then possible charges would be filed).

I think the parents knew Gabby was in no imminent danger whatsoever at the time - but not necessarily through any actual words spoken.

I'm not sure that other counsel would have advised BL to speak to the police with them present - that seems like a big stretch and the client should follow the attorney's advice (which the Laundries apparently did).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnceAgain