Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's easily opinion.

And "fully" is not at all clear, at least not based in anything posed in all of the threads on this site.

I'd say the overall gist of the Petito family's attorney's statement about the Laundries was false. But I suppose it can be interpreted in a way to make it maybe true (as well as recognizing as you say that while it looks like a statement of fact, it's really an opinion. And as opinion it doesn't have to be true.)

Its true the Laundries did not help the Petito family or their lawyer "find Brian." Although that was a silly thing to say, if taken literally that's what he said. That the Laundries "sure [are] not going to help us find Brian." As if the Petitos were out there searching for him.

Both the NY lawyers in this case have been pretty outspoken and over the top in their representation of their clients. But criticism has been stronger here for SB IMO

I would absolutely love to see the Laundries sue the Petito family lawyer for slander. He made so many questionable claims against them.

IMO, Brian's family should have never been held responsible for his crimes. What they've had to endure from the press and the public is beyond the pale. The moment we learned that they did not return the Petitos' phone calls it seems the vast majority of the world stopped giving them credit for having a single honorable thought or heartfelt emotion. IMO the only thing they could be blamed for is protecting their son and many of us would have done the same in their position. That being said, before Gabby's remains were found, the only thing I can blame the Petitos' for is being frightened for their daughter's life. They felt a sense of urgency and in turn pressured the Laundries for information. Once again, that makes sense to me too.

IMO, rather than creating more animosity, I would love to see these two families eventually come together and help each other find some answers. I'm sure that scenario is far down the road, there's too much pain ATM, but given time it might be possible.

What I wonder was, when NPPD had Brian under surveillance, why didn't the NPPD follow Brian to the Myakkahatchee Environmental Park? If ever there was an incredible chance to catch Brian alone and question him in a public space, that would have been it, especially since his father said Brian was emotional at the time. Brian had not spoken to LE himself and had not told them he would not speak to them without an attorney present so I'm pretty sure NPPD could have legally approached BL to see what his response would be since he was an adult. After all, we have no information that CL or RL was BL's power of attorney. Imagine what might have been learned if the NPPD had followed BL when he was in such an emotional state and attempted to talk to him then. It might have even prevented BL's death as he might have fled back home. I keep thinking if NPPD had just followed Brian and continued to follow him, even IF he refused to talk without an attorney this story may have had a completely different ending.

Now, we will probably have to wait some years for a book about this case where we will find out more about what happened.

It is possible that when the L's gave LE SB's card, they held out that this attorney was representing all three of them. We don't know. If that is the case, then LE wouldn't have approached BL when he went off on his hike alone.

I do believe that BL murdered GP. However, in my own mind, I have never been able to fully rule out the possibility that that the murderer was the proverbial bushy haired stranger or even some one else known to GP/BL. Today I realized one exceedingly obvious and simple thing.
To the best of my knowledge, no one - not BL, not SB, no member of BL’s family, no one - has ever said to the public “BL is innocent/BL did not kill Gabby/BL could never do such a thing!” Please, correct me if I’m wrong.
Jmo

I would absolutely love to see the Laundries sue the Petito family lawyer for slander. He made so many questionable claims against them.

Here's one:

"“Again,” the attorney said. “For the Laundries’ silence: The Laundries did not help us find Gabby. They sure [are] not going to help us find Brian. For Brian: We’re asking you to turn yourself in to the FBI or the nearest law enforcement agency.”"

False. Turns out the Laundries were fully cooperative in terms of finding Brian. So he lied.

The quote you put here is not slander. It's fact - they haven't helped find Gabby; and opinion - they aren't going to help find Brian.

I'd say the overall gist of the Petito family's attorney's statement about the Laundries was false. But I suppose it can be interpreted in a way to make it maybe true (as well as recognizing as you say that while it looks like a statement of fact, it's really an opinion. And as opinion it doesn't have to be true.)

Its true the Laundries did not help the Petito family or their lawyer "find Brian." Although that was a silly thing to say, if taken literally that's what he said. That the Laundries "sure [are] not going to help us find Brian." As if the Petitos were out there searching for him.

Both the NY lawyers in this case have been pretty outspoken and over the top in their representation of their clients. But criticism has been stronger here for SB IMO
SB has worked hard to earn this distinction.

IMO, Brian's family should have never been held responsible for his crimes. What they've had to endure from the press and the public is beyond the pale. The moment we learned that they did not return the Petitos' phone calls it seems the vast majority of the world stopped giving them credit for having a single honorable thought or heartfelt emotion. IMO the only thing they could be blamed for is protecting their son and many of us would have done the same in their position. That being said, before Gabby's remains were found, the only thing I can blame the Petitos' for is being frightened for their daughter's life. They felt a sense of urgency and in turn pressured the Laundries for information. Once again, that makes sense to me too.

IMO, rather than creating more animosity, I would love to see these two families eventually come together and help each other find some answers. I'm sure that scenario is far down the road, there's too much pain ATM, but given time it might be possible.
If they weren't close after the years of GP and BL dating, Id say the odds of their being people who would really mesh now are very very low.

If they weren't close after the years of GP and BL dating, Id say the odds of their being people who would really mesh now are very very low.

Thanks for the reply.

You're probably right, but tragedy has the ability to transform people. I'll remain optimistic. More important, IMO, is the fact that neither of these families deserve to be vilified.

The FBI poster still asks for witnesses at Spread Creek from Aug. 27th through Aug. 30th. IMO, that indicates they have reason to believe BL was still at Spread Creek at some point on the 30th (I can't accept the explanation that they just listed a broad timeframe).

If GP's missing person report has a last known date of Aug. 30th at 7 am, I agree that is probably the "Yosemite" text presumably sent by BL.

My question is from where did BL send that text? The FBI knows the location, I'm positive, but was it delivered the moment it was sent, or was it sent from an area with no reception (like Spread Creek) and delivered as soon as he drove into better service (which is probably as close as the highway that Spread Creek is off of)? Was he just leaving Spread Creek at 7 am, possibly?

Officially, 12:00 am would be August 30th, so the text could have been sent from up to 7 hours (or 6 if he crossed time zones?) down the road, although I would suspect the FBI thinks he was at Spread Creek later than midnight to have that date on their poster. Either way, no matter how I look at it, I cannot understand why BL would still be at Spread Creek on the 30th, at all.

If the hitchhiking stories are accurate, that puts him back to the van no later than 8pm on the 29th, I would imagine. If GP was already dead, why would he hang around for hours and hours?

Last edited:
Perhaps there are cameras at or near the exit of the spread creek camping area and the fbi has footage of the van leaving for the final timeon the 30th? Jmo

What I find ponderous about these dates is that these were the same dates requested before GP was found dead.

FBI Denver
@FBIDenver

·
Sep 18

The #FBI seeks assistance from anyone who utilized the Spread Creek Dispersed Camping Area between the dates of August 27-30, 2021 who may have had contact with Gabrielle "Gabby" Petito or her boyfriend, or who may have seen their vehicle.

If the fbi were looking for a living GP, wouldn’t those dates have been open ended, regardless of when the van left the area?
did the fbi know that GP was dead before before they found her?

jmo

Last edited:
Odd that parents suspecting suicide would be concerned about getting the car at that moment in time. Or that they didn't go to LE at that same time saying " we think he has killed or will kill himself please help us."

I know they said they spent many hours on the 13th (iirc) looking for him - but did they not ask for LE help, raise the public alarm? Instead call it a day for searching then made sure to get the car?

Not evil, just a seemingly curiously flat response to the situation.
Odd indeed, but after all, their first priority was to protect their son from the law, and that they surely did. IMO

Perhaps there are cameras at or near the exit of the spread creek camping area and the fbi has footage of the van leaving on the 30th? Jmo

What I find ponderous about these dates is that these were the same dates requested before GP was found dead.

FBI Denver
@FBIDenver

·
Sep 18

The #FBI seeks assistance from anyone who utilized the Spread Creek Dispersed Camping Area between the dates of August 27-30, 2021 who may have had contact with Gabrielle "Gabby" Petito or her boyfriend, or who may have seen their vehicle.

If the fbi were looking for a living GP, wouldn’t those dates have been open ended, regardless of when the van left the area?
did the fbi know that GP was dead before before they found her?
Kinda like how the FBI's news release about the arrest warrant (just shortly after GP was found) says "activities following" her death. A lot of it seems obvious, but I think the feds have a lot more information than we'll ever know.

Last edited:
Kinda like how the FBI's news release about the arrest warrant (just shortly after GP was found) says "activities following" her death. A lot of it seems obvious, but I think the feds have a lot more information than we'll ever know.

Fully agree with you.

FBI Denver
@FBIDenver

·
Sep 23

Today's official #FBIDenver statement and the arrest warrant for Mr. Brian Laundrie are attached.

The FBI poster still asks for witnesses at Spread Creek from Aug. 27th through Aug. 30th. IMO, that indicates they have reason to believe BL was still at Spread Creek at some point on the 30th (I can't accept the explanation that they just listed a broad timeframe).

If GP's missing person report has a last known date of Aug. 30th at 7 am, I agree that is probably the "Yosemite" text presumably sent by BL.

My question is from where did BL send that text? The FBI knows the location, I'm positive, but was it delivered the moment it was sent, or was it sent from an area with no reception (like Spread Creek) and delivered as soon as he drove into better service (which is probably as close as the highway that Spread Creek is off of)? Was he just leaving Spread Creek at 7 am, possibly?

Officially, 12:00 am would be August 30th, so the text could have been sent from up to 7 hours (or 6 if he crossed time zones?) down the road, although I would suspect the FBI thinks he was at Spread Creek later than midnight to have that date on their poster. Either way, no matter how I look at it, I cannot understand why BL would still be at Spread Creek on the 30th, at all.

If the hitchhiking stories are accurate, that puts him back to the van no later than 8pm on the 29th, I would imagine. If GP was already dead, why would he hang around for hours and hours?

I was responding to your last sentence in your post. I always wondered the same about his lingering near the crime scene. My thoughts are not how most see it, but I will write it anyway. I don't think BL is what he is portrayed as in social media. Yes, I do believe he killed GP, but I do think it shocked him and sent him into a mental fog due to his anxiety issues. I think that GP and BL fought ALL the time, even before they took off on their road trip. The van life trip just exacerbated their fighting where it became more violent between the two of them,and it does take two people to fight. I do not think BL meant to kill her. Since we don't have the complete autopsy report, I wonder if it was more of a freak accident. Perhaps he grabbed her throat as he had grabbed her face in Moab. He could have been so mad that his anger and strength crushed her windpipe in the process, and she died relatively quickly. It makes me think BL loitered around not believing she was actually dead. I wonder if he left her in the van and ran off in disbelief hoping she would actually still be alive when he returned. When he came back, she would be working on her vlog as he had told the people that he hitchhiked rides with. When he returned, everything was at he left. Perhaps he set her shoes next to her with her backpack and a blanket at the site they had camped at and ran home pretending it didn't happen. I believe that is his MO.....to run away . That way it never really took place. He could pretend it never happened. He couldn't face the consequences, and those consequences were coming in the form of a Long Arm of the Law. I choose to believe BL didn't mean to murder Gabby. It's just that their fights went too far. Should be a lesson to everyone that we should never strike another. In short, he was hoping she wasn't actually deceased. He hoped when he returned, she would be working in the van.

I suppose you could say “the vast majority of the whole world” would have done differently. IMO

The fbi clearly has so much information.
I wonder everyday, if BL killed GP(and I believe he did), what is the final piece they are looking for/need to close this case?
Do they have another suspect that we don’t know about?

I was responding to your last sentence in your post. I always wondered the same about his lingering near the crime scene. My thoughts are not how most see it, but I will write it anyway. I don't think BL is what he is portrayed as in social media. Yes, I do believe he killed GP, but I do think it shocked him and sent him into a mental fog due to his anxiety issues. I think that GP and BL fought ALL the time, even before they took off on their road trip. The van life trip just exacerbated their fighting where it became more violent between the two of them,and it does take two people to fight. I do not think BL meant to kill her. Since we don't have the complete autopsy report, I wonder if it was more of a freak accident. Perhaps he grabbed her throat as he had grabbed her face in Moab. He could have been so mad that his anger and strength crushed her windpipe in the process, and she died relatively quickly. It makes me think BL loitered around not believing she was actually dead. I wonder if he left her in the van and ran off in disbelief hoping she would actually still be alive when he returned. When he came back, she would be working on her vlog as he had told the people that he hitchhiked rides with. When he returned, everything was at he left. Perhaps he set her shoes next to her with her backpack and a blanket at the site they had camped at and ran home pretending it didn't happen. I believe that is his MO.....to run away . That way it never really took place. He could pretend it never happened. He couldn't face the consequences, and those consequences were coming in the form of a Long Arm of the Law. I choose to believe BL didn't mean to murder Gabby. It's just that their fights went too far. Should be a lesson to everyone that we should never strike another. In short, he was hoping she wasn't actually deceased. He hoped when he returned, she would be working in the van.
I'm with you on the idea that BL did not mean to kill GP. That said, his extreme anger won out that fight and I do think he could have stopped at some point in the strangling process, but didn't. If in shock or denial, he very well might have waited around to regroup. Whether he hiked before or after her death, I really can't decide. None of it, as we assume, makes sense to me.

The fbi clearly has so much information.
I wonder everyday, if BL killed GP(and I believe he did), what is the final piece they are looking for/need to close this case?
Do they have another suspect that we don’t know about?
I know I'm annoyingly stubborn about this, but I cannot make sense of BL hiking for 2 days after he killed GP and then hitchhiking back. I would actually believe somebody else killed her while he was gone over the idea he hiked afterwards. Sigh. I'm sure I'll be proven wrong. I just honestly think there are giant puzzle pieces missing from our box, but not the FBI's.

ETA: I do think BL killed GP, though, just to clarify...

Last edited:
That’s quite a possible scenario and one that could have had a very different outcome for BL, if only he wasn’t being “protected” by his parents. IMO
Involuntary Manslaughter: Penalties and Sentencing by State | LawInfo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member