WA WA - Seattle, WhtFem 30-50, 159UFWA, alias 'Mary Anderson', copper IUD, breast surgery scars, Oct'96

I'm thinking Maryanne Jane Ruffini could be a match, Maryanne Jane Ruffini – The Charley Project She disappeard 26:th of january 1996 from Edison, New Jersey. There is a Frank Ruffini who lived in New York, Astoria, with the zip code 11103 (same zipcode that Mary used for her adress). Could he be a relative? He passed away june 21, 1996. When I tried to research family ties I ended up on a familytree belonging to a Maryanne Andersson but all info was hidden. The name Andersson though and the zipcode makes me think I might be on to something. There is also a Facebook for Missing Maryanne Ruffini where you can see more photos and she has the same body type as Mary Andersson, quite big muscular legs for once. Also the name Mary Andersson could be from Maryanne.

Hi Weathergirl80,
I was excited about your suggestion because there is a Nordstrom store in Edison NJ very close to where Maryanne disappeared, however, Maryanne Ruffini had blue eyes and Mary Anderson’s eyes were brown.

Hi Weathergirl80,
I was excited about your suggestion because there is a Nordstrom store in Edison NJ very close to where Maryanne disappeared, however, Maryanne Ruffini had blue eyes and Mary Anderson’s eyes were brown.

Also, in some of those photos Maryanne looks too young.

Hoping we get a match sooner or later. Especially with how many Does have been identified this year!

I'm thinking Maryanne Jane Ruffini could be a match, Maryanne Jane Ruffini – The Charley Project She disappeard 26:th of january 1996 from Edison, New Jersey. There is a Frank Ruffini who lived in New York, Astoria, with the zip code 11103 (same zipcode that Mary used for her adress). Could he be a relative? He passed away june 21, 1996. When I tried to research family ties I ended up on a familytree belonging to a Maryanne Andersson but all info was hidden. The name Andersson though and the zipcode makes me think I might be on to something. There is also a Facebook for Missing Maryanne Ruffini where you can see more photos and she has the same body type as Mary Andersson, quite big muscular legs for once. Also the name Mary Andersson could be from Maryanne.
This by far looks like the closest match to me. Imo I thought that I read that she (the UID) hadn't given birth in her lifetime, do they sometimes make mistakes in during autopsy or after death examinations?

This by far looks like the closest match to me. Imo I thought that I read that she (the UID) hadn't given birth in her lifetime, do they sometimes make mistakes in during autopsy or after death examinations?
Maryanne Ruffini is about 4 inches too short and weighed 120 pounds less than our Jane Doe. She also had scars on her wrist and her NamUs file notes that she had bright blue eyes. I can see some similarities between their faces but I don't think it's a match.

Interesting. The match seems somewhat plausible. It's surprising to me there is (or was?) a $50k CAN reward for info about CR, yet she wasn't even reported as missing for a decade and a half. There must be more to that story. Why was there a delayed sense of urgency? Did she turn out to be a missing heir to an estate?
ETA Or maybe witness to a serious crime? It was the provincial police (OPP) offering the reward.

Last edited:
I can definitely see some similarities...height is off but with the large amount of time that passed before the missing person report was filed that could be explained away. I'm not 100% sure what the travel requirements were at the time but I don't believe you needed a passport to go between Canada and the US back then, so she could have easily crossed the border. Certainly worth looking into!

Maryanne Ruffini is about 4 inches too short and weighed 120 pounds less than our Jane Doe. She also had scars on her wrist and her NamUs file notes that she had bright blue eyes. I can see some similarities between their faces but I don't think it's a match.
I noticed after I got to the end of the thread. I really hope that she’s identified. I’m sure that someone misses her.

I can definitely see some similarities...height is off but with the large amount of time that passed before the missing person report was filed that could be explained away. I'm not 100% sure what the travel requirements were at the time but I don't believe you needed a passport to go between Canada and the US back then, so she could have easily crossed the border. Certainly worth looking into!
You DEFINITELY did not need a passport to cross the border into Canada (or vice-versa) in 1996.

I just had a thought. Did the area codes in NY ever change? When I was growing up ours was 617 and later became 508. See MA only had 2 area codes 617 and 413 at the time. Maybe she was unaware of a change when she gave the number.

Hello all. I've lurked on this site for years now and finally joined up to post. I've long been interested in cold cases and mysteries etc (I blame my father's relentless watching of crime dramas as I grew up in the 80s). I discovered this site when I become interested in a news story in my country (UK) - the body on the moor who was eventually identified as David Lytton. The mystery around the man's life and his final decision and the identification process fascinated me and drew me to this site. Since then, I'm just amazed at the care, time and effort that people put into helping to solve these cases - thoughts, energy, research and funding to companies and groups like Othram and DNA Doe project etc. Just truly amazing.

The two cases that have intrigued me as much as body on the moor are Mary Anderson and the Christmas Tree Lady. I was thrilled when I found that Othram was funding to solve the mystery. Modern science is truly astonishing in providing answers but that leads me to my question - Mary Anderson was funded back in May 2021 - what is the normal timescales involved in solving these cases? Is it normal to take almost a year (that's not a criticism in any way!) and is there always a resolution, despite testing?

Hello all. I've lurked on this site for years now and finally joined up to post. I've long been interested in cold cases and mysteries etc (I blame my father's relentless watching of crime dramas as I grew up in the 80s). I discovered this site when I become interested in a news story in my country (UK) - the body on the moor who was eventually identified as David Lytton. The mystery around the man's life and his final decision and the identification process fascinated me and drew me to this site. Since then, I'm just amazed at the care, time and effort that people put into helping to solve these cases - thoughts, energy, research and funding to companies and groups like Othram and DNA Doe project etc. Just truly amazing.

The two cases that have intrigued me as much as body on the moor are Mary Anderson and the Christmas Tree Lady. I was thrilled when I found that Othram was funding to solve the mystery. Modern science is truly astonishing in providing answers but that leads me to my question - Mary Anderson was funded back in May 2021 - what is the normal timescales involved in solving these cases? Is it normal to take almost a year (that's not a criticism in any way!) and is there always a resolution, despite testing?

Hi and welcome @Cattydcat. One thing you will learn on here is to be patient. :) It can take a long time, sometimes even years. Maybe @othram can answer your last question. What if the DNA is used up, so to say, while testing in previous years f.i.?

Hi and welcome @Cattydcat. One thing you will learn on here is to be patient. :) It can take a long time, sometimes even years. Maybe @othram can answer your last question. What if the DNA is used up, so to say, while testing in previous years f.i.?

Patient is a virtue I am trying to work on :) No, I do honestly understand that these things can take years but I suppose I am just asking what happens if things like DNA are used up, or if you get too "stuck" in genealogical research - basically, does it always get solved? It's such a fascinating thing to think that ANY of these sorts of cases get solved, after so many years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Protocol136
Back