Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds more likely to me.

However, were the words read out what she actually said, or were they 'scripted', hence making Laidlaw shake his head -- presumably in disbelief of what he was hearing?
I edited my post to include this:

"This is my brother we're talking about, in my mind no one is trying so I've made the decision to do something about that, to talk," she said in a recorded statement to the court.

William Tyrrell's sister vows to become a detective and find him

There is also this, which indicates FGM was supervising the kids and had gone to make tea. Someone had asked earlier, .... where was FM?

William’s sister, who cannot be named for legal reasons, recorded a message that was played at the end of a 19-month inquest into the three-year-old’s suspected abduction.

“I hope this speech makes you solve the case,” she said.

“If it doesn’t, when I am officially adult, I will be in the police force, a detective specifically, and I will find my brother and not give up until he is found.

“Please help my family, most of all me, find our precious William.”

William’s foster grandmother had been supervising the pair, but when she went inside to make a cup of tea, the little boy disappeared.

William Tyrrell's sister tells inquest she will become a detective and find him

I edited my post to include this:

"This is my brother we're talking about, in my mind no one is trying so I've made the decision to do something about that, to talk," she said in a recorded statement to the court.

Thanks. I don't know the girl in question of course, but to me that read like a script rather than the natural language of an 11 year old. I could well imagine her being "helped" with that wording.

Call me a skeptic and I'll readily agree.

M
Yep, I've said here before that I am uncomfortable listening to the videos of the FM talking to police.

Her style is to offer a whole lot of detail and strikes me as constantly seeking to fill all the time available by talking -- sort of how politicians do to avoid allowing reporters time to ask follow-up questions.

Another side-effect of that prattling on style is that it tends to make the questioner forget where they were in the process, unless they have their questions written down in front of them.
my daughter can prattle to the cows come home llolll remembers little things and uses 100 words for 20..in hers 30s now and nothing has changed..

There is also this, which indicates FGM was supervising the kids and had gone to make tea. Someone had asked earlier, .... where was FM?

William’s sister, who cannot be named for legal reasons, recorded a message that was played at the end of a 19-month inquest into the three-year-old’s suspected abduction.

“I hope this speech makes you solve the case,” she said.

“If it doesn’t, when I am officially adult, I will be in the police force, a detective specifically, and I will find my brother and not give up until he is found.

“Please help my family, most of all me, find our precious William.”

William’s foster grandmother had been supervising the pair, but when she went inside to make a cup of tea, the little boy disappeared.

William Tyrrell's sister tells inquest she will become a detective and find him

IMO, I’d say she was reading from a script, 11 year olds do not talk like that….

As I said, happy to agree to disagree, but there was a very fine line about whether he actually did or not. A matter of a small amount of time that the warrant had expired, from memory.

Anyway, I stand by my belief that he has the right to defend himself. Happy for others to believe that he doesn't.

That’s not right. In the interests of ensuring accuracy on this page, there was no “fine line” about whether GJ illegally recorded conversations. The Magistrate who convicted him of 4 counts of illegally recording conversations said about his actions “It strikes across the heart, extent, nature and purpose of the Surveillance Devices Act".

GJ appealed against his conviction and Court of Appeal dismissed his appeal.

Neither Court found that his culpability was lessened because warrants had recently lapsed. Rather, they said that he knew the warrants had lapsed but went ahead anyway.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-08/william-tyrrell-detective-gary-jubelin-sentenced/12133594

How dangerous of the department to hav left the sister in the care of thies people who took their eyes off the brother and he was never seen again, especially the fact its always possible that they could of been invited because no one else has ever been convicted, now the sister has bruising and its both FM and FF being charged and restraining order, I wonder if the real family can sue the department for failure to keep the sister safe after the brother disappeared, even if thies people are not involved the department should of cancelled their foster carer status just to protect the department from any law suits in the future and removed the sisters
Do bio parents get their other bio children taken away if one of their kids is missing and considered as possibly abducted?

IMO, I’d say she was reading from a script, 11 year olds do not talk like that….
I know 11 yr olds who do speak like that. She sounds like a caring, intelligent young lady.

It may have been rehearsed because she knew she was speaking to a group of people and nervous, so planning her words makes sense. JMO

I just watched the FF walkthrough and he stated William had asthma and it would be too hard for him to walk up a hill. This seems odd when we were told he's been riding his bike and running and jumping around.
It is not necessarily odd. I have asthma and my nieces both have it as well. As kids, we could run around, ride bikes, jump around with no problem. But there is a limit and if running a long distance, or doing something that really pushes your lungs to the limit, like walking up a steep hill, your asthma can suddenly kick in. JMO

IF Laidlaw was shaking his head during the recorded statement of LT, that suggests he already had suspicions about the new POI at the inquest.

Can anyone confirm that Laidlaw actually did this? Can anyone confirm the date that LTs statement was read out?

If someone put me under the spotlight while I was under extreme duress and asked for every thing, even the smallest detail on what I did today. I mean retrace every smallest detail I’d be absolutely all over the place as well.
Backwards, forwards and sideways, remembering the fill-ins and then remembering other things as I thought.
I’d be sounding like a mad person. Team that up with a grumpy looking detective in an ill-fitting suit with beady eyes staring me down like I was a liar I’d have guilty written all over my face.
SBM.

It's not easy. I've had to do it and it's very hard to recall details before the actual event because you didn't feel the need to remember those details at the time. It's very easy to second guess what you remember.

It is my understanding that the minor child did not appear in person at the inquest, and had merely had 'her letter' read out on her behalf. imo.

ETA: Ok, looked it up.. it was a 'recorded message' that was played at the inquest:

My daughter is the same age, I could never imagine her writing or coming up with this sentence on her own.

That’s not right. In the interests of ensuring accuracy on this page, there was no “fine line” about whether GJ illegally recorded conversations. The Magistrate who convicted him of 4 counts of illegally recording conversations said about his actions “It strikes across the heart, extent, nature and purpose of the Surveillance Devices Act".

GJ appealed against his conviction and Court of Appeal dismissed his appeal.

Neither Court found that his culpability was lessened because warrants had recently lapsed. Rather, they said that he knew the warrants had lapsed but went ahead anyway.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-08/william-tyrrell-detective-gary-jubelin-sentenced/12133594
Tyrrell detective sentenced over illegal recordings of person of interest
IMO LE are held to a higher standard ,they are entrusted with access to information that can make or break a case. Behind these case these are real human beings with real situations that they r going through and most often than not going through possibly the worst time in their lives. My point being that when LE don't follow these laws some people might feel let down or misguided ,jaded by the very people they are supposed to trust. Just my own thoughts when I see this type of scenario happening.

I am one for wanting to know as many potential laws and evidence involved with a case. Even more so when a child's life is involved. I like fact based evidence. I never feel comfortable speculating when I do. Not saying I don't speculate because I already have done so here openly. I am one for waiting as full a picture as possible because at the end of the day that's what helps solve cases IMO

I reckon the pressure is on. I think WA police handling of CS case and amazing police work has put spotlight on this case. I remember reading references to William Tyrrell still missing whilst they were still looking for CS

Looks like I am not alone in my thinking… Caroline Overington from the Australian has stated this

“Three things have happened this year to bring the police investigation to this point, including the discovery – or rediscovery – of these emails…

First, a new team of detectives was assigned to the case, after the departure of high-profile former homicide detective Gary Jubelin. They have been working their way through all the old evidence. And it doesn’t come by the boxful. It comes by the roomful.

They looked at all the old photographs of William, and they re-read everyone’s statement, from before and after he went missing. They found one photograph, taken just a few weeks before he disappeared, in which he appears to have a black eye.

The foster mother years ago explained that he’d fallen against a table, and she’d taken him to hospital as a precaution. But his biological family – who didn’t think he needed to be in foster care in the first place – were upset when they saw him with the bruise, and they wanted an investigation.

Police then found an email dated September 9, 2014 – three days before William disappeared – in which social workers described William’s foster mother as being concerned about his behaviour.

She was at the time trying to adopt William. He had started calling her Mummy. In her triple-0 call, she called him “my son”.

This was causing tension between the two families, who were still tussling over who would get to raise him.

According to the social workers, William’s foster mother said she was “close to giving up or giving in”. She was concerned about William being “emotional” after contact visits with his biological mother and father.

He was also having difficulty sleeping.

The social workers talked among themselves about “a certain amount of distress” and “dysfunction” being normal in foster children.

One then said the foster mother had told them she was “heading to her mother’s house this weekend” – and it was, of course, from her mother’s house, in the quiet village of Kendall on the NSW mid-north coast that very weekend, that he went missing.

So, that’s the first thing that happened to trigger this week’s new search.

Fresh eyes, you could call it.

Next – and this seems random at first – a little girl called CS, 4, went missing from a campsite in Western Australia, and after 18 days she was found alive and well. The WA police, the Prime Minister, the public – everyone was elated, and everyone agreed the search for CS was gold-standard, perfect policing.

Of course, there is a degree of professional rivalry between the state police forces. How come the WA cops could solve the CS case so quickly, while William was still missing after seven years?

NSW police chief Mick Fuller, who is about to retire, put a rocket under the strike force working on William’s case. Like everyone, he knows that the coronial inquiry into William’s disappearance, which is due to report in February, is likely to be critical of the NSW police: why didn’t they immediately seal the area when William went missing, as happened in the CS case?

Why didn’t they put up police tape? Why didn’t they check every car, look under every tarp, peek into every roof cavity? Why didn’t they collect all the rubbish in the street and DNA-test it? Download data from the mobile phone towers? Why did they let so many people come and go without checking their bona fides?

Why did they spend so long so publicly looking at certain “suspects”, at least one of whom is now suing for having his life destroyed in the process?

The search near Kendall less than 1km from where William Tyrrell was last seen. Picture: Peter Lorimer
William’s foster parents have been savagely critical of police, too. His foster mother told the inquiry that the new team of detectives, who replaced Gary Jubelin, wanted to turn it into a “cold case” because nobody believed it could be solved.”

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said, happy to agree to disagree, but there was a very fine line about whether he actually did or not. A matter of a small amount of time that the warrant had expired, from memory.

Anyway, I stand by my belief that he has the right to defend himself. Happy for others to believe that he doesn't.
I'm with you p&g.

Do bio parents get their other bio children taken away if one of their kids is missing and considered as possibly abducted?

No, but a foster care situation is different to a biological or adoption situation. Under foster care, the “parent” is actually the Minister for Family and Community Services. Foster carers need permission from the department to even get them a haircut, or to leave the Sydney area for a weekend.

So WT’s sister, like WT, was still under the care of the minister, and was placed in the foster carers home. Given one child went missing in unknown circumstances, I too am surprised the sister remained in their care. They weren’t adoptive parents, they were foster carers under the Department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500