Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

Status
Not open for further replies.
While this is precisely what many on here speculated would be the outcome, the question that remain (at least for me) is time of death. I just dont even understand (and cant fathom) being a parent knowing my child is out there about to take their own life and not call LE. Some have posted that the alternative was jail, well that alternative sounds better to me and being able to still see my child and talk to my child than knowing I did NOTHING to prevent their death. MOO.

I was agreeing to the quoted post, sorry if I wasn’t clear. IMO I found everything the parents didn’t do and the attorney’s comments irresponsible.

No, I'm sorry. I realized after I posted that it seemed like I was yelling at YOU, but I wasn't. I knew what the feel of your post was! Sorry for how I came across!

While this is precisely what many on here speculated would be the outcome, the question that remain (at least for me) is time of death. I just dont even understand (and cant fathom) being a parent knowing my child is out there about to take their own life and not call LE. Some have posted that the alternative was jail, well that alternative sounds better to me and being able to still see my child and talk to my child than knowing I did NOTHING to prevent their death. MOO.

Exactly. IMO the Ls and SB have been playing fast and loose with the timeline of this pivotal week.
Here’s something further to consider :
“In the State of Florida, there are no laws that include circumstances for which assisted suicide is made lawful. Florida Statute 782.08 affirms that anyone who intentionally causes or aids another person to commit self-murder will be guilty of manslaughter, a felony offense of the second-degree.”

Criminality of Assisted Suicide in Florida | Euthanasia Laws

This is strange. Why didn't the ME see the bullet hole in BL's head? Wouldn't the gun and spent casing be laying with the remains? That would have been a big clue. JMO.

Brian Laundrie autopsy: Forensic anthropologist says fugitive died of suicide

Because, as they said, the skull was in fragments. The ME certainly saw it and the ME almost certainly thought it was a gunshot wound.

But to make sure, and after all the thoroughness of this investigation, they wanted to be really sure. So they had the skull reconstructed and studied by a forensic expert, which the ME is not.

I figured he shot himself most likely that same Monday night he left home. My feelings have always been that the parents were clueless but suspicious. If I recall, they did go to the Reserve to look for him, but it was raining that first night. After that Monday night, the part of the Reserve he was at was flooded. If I was in his parents situation, I would think he did something terrible to himself. I can't imagine what they were going through. I am sure they would have rather he be in jail where they could see him.

Their adult son put them in such a terrible position. Sad for everyone involved.

I just rewatched the long WFLA coverage previously linked. The car search happens around the 30 - 31 minute timestamp. JMO, but there is no sign of any case nor any other evidence found and bagged by the two officers completing the brief search. It appears that their search is inconclusive.

Much later on, around the 2:03:00 - 2:04:00 timestamp, two officers with bright neon vests arrive and walk through the crowd. One of them is carrying an armful of pizza boxes and a square case. It appears they have come from somewhere other than the Laundrie residence. The case is handed to one of the two officers who had been standing guard, then it gets opened and to me it looks like the contents are being checked - more like they are making sure everything is in there. It doesn't look like evidence taken from the residence, but rather equipment being brought onto the site. That's just my opinion, anyway.

I just wanted to point out that the two events are being conflated into one event and that actually the case with the foam padding is not connected to the mustang search. You can check the video yourself to confirm.

That being said, I do think LE were told there was a handgun missing and they were searching the mustang to be thorough and confirm it wasn't in there somewhere.

Thank you! I appreciate this response. I have zero knowledge of how those things work.

And I have a ton of forensic anthropology atlases, which have always fascinated me. My own work is not with bones, but has to do with MRI's, SPECT, etc analysis of still living criminals, as well as data collection on their behavior.

My closest colleagues are forensic anthropologists, and they actually do forensics - my background in bone reconstruction is purely academic. But it is truly fascinating what one can learn from skeletal remains.

Someone suggested he could have shot upward under his chin, in which case, the bone entry would have been on the inside of the upper skull, and then a larger exit wound. Same thing if he shot through his mouth - again, there are entire atlases of known bone injuries and their causes of death.

There are even bone libraries, where good specimens of different kinds of disease/death processes are kept.

I'm not sure, but the poster is a verified anthropologist, so the poster would have an understanding that I may not.

We have no information on what the forensic anthropologist actually found, and since this is a suicide, we very likely will never have it.

IMO…below is the statement release by the Laundries lawyer, S. Bertolino. After reading it several times, IMO, I feel they are acknowledging the fact their son BL, intentionally or accidentally killed Gabby. The statement part the L’s say,
‘(We) are hopeful these findings bring closure to both families.’ Why would the suicide of BL bring closure to Gabby’s family unless he was at fault. They had to know what he did to Gabby. I believe there is more evidence that shows BL killed Gabby. The L’s could have just have said, ‘they now have closure’…..but they know more, by saying findings bring closure to both families.”

JMOO

Attorney: Brian Laundrie death ruled a suicide by gun

“Chris and Roberta Laundrie have been informed that the cause of death was a gunshot wound to the head and the manner of death was suicide,” Bertolino told ABC7 via text. “Chris and Roberta are still mourning the loss of their son and are hopeful that these findings bring closure to both families.”

Ugh. I can't quite put my finger on why his comment that the Laundrie family's "hope" that the revelation that Brian ended his own life "bring(s) closure to both families" is so bothersome to me. I guess reading that from Gabby's family's point of view, it's so offensive and patronizing....

https://twitter.com/WFLAJosh

The most recent 3 tweets (as of right now) are curious:

FAMILY STATEMENT: “The Schmidt and Petito family has been aware of the circumstances surrounding the suicide of the sole suspect in Gabby’s murder. Gabby’s family will not be making a statement at this time due to the request of the United States Attorney’s Office…” (1/2)

“and the Teton County Prosecutor’s Office. The family was asked to not make any comments and let the FBI continue their investigation. The family was also asked to wait for the United States Attorney’s Office to make a determination on whether any additional individuals…” (2/3)

“will be charged. When that determination is made, we will have a statement.” (3/3) - Rick Stafford, Petito Family Attorney
https://twitter.com/WFLAJosh/status/1463250555489378305

And I have a ton of forensic anthropology atlases, which have always fascinated me. My own work is not with bones, but has to do with MRI's, SPECT, etc analysis of still living criminals, as well as data collection on their behavior.

My closest colleagues are forensic anthropologists, and they actually do forensics - my background in bone reconstruction is purely academic. But it is truly fascinating what one can learn from skeletal remains.

Someone suggested he could have shot upward under his chin, in which case, the bone entry would have been on the inside of the upper skull, and then a larger exit wound. Same thing if he shot through his mouth - again, there are entire atlases of known bone injuries and their causes of death.

There are even bone libraries, where good specimens of different kinds of disease/death processes are kept.

We have no information on what the forensic anthropologist actually found, and since this is a suicide, we very likely will never have it.

I just keep thinking he shot himself through the mouth only because that is what the main character in the movie "Fight Club" did. It seemed to be a book/movie that captivated him. JMO

Exactly. IMO the Ls and SB have been playing fast and loose with the timeline of this pivotal week.
Here’s something further to consider :
“In the State of Florida, there are no laws that include circumstances for which assisted suicide is made lawful. Florida Statute 782.08 affirms that anyone who intentionally causes or aids another person to commit self-murder will be guilty of manslaughter, a felony offense of the second-degree.”

Criminality of Assisted Suicide in Florida | Euthanasia Laws

That's really reaching IMO.

From the above link:

How Do Criminal Laws Define “Assistance”?

A person may be charged criminally for assisted suicide only when they physically help another individual end their life—often by providing medication known to terminate human life.

From what we know (& I admit that's not alot) no one has suggested the L's physically helped B commit suicide. What people seem to be saying (here anyway) is that they failed to stop him because they didn't turn him in to LE. I can't believe anyone would consider charging them under those circumstances. By that reasoning, any family member of any suicide could be looking at criminal charges for failing to act to prevent the suicide.

JMO

In a previous post you said “That's why they hired a forensic anthropologist. The skull was pieced back together. One side had a small bullet hole and the other had shattering consistent with a point blank firing of a handgun. The gun was likely found immediately adjacent to the remains.”

Is this your conjecture? Are you making this statement on assumptions and your readings or can you cite an article?

That's really reaching IMO.

From the above link:

How Do Criminal Laws Define “Assistance”?

A person may be charged criminally for assisted suicide only when they physically help another individual end their life—often by providing medication known to terminate human life.

From what we know (& I admit that's not alot) no one has suggested the L's physically helped B commit suicide. What people seem to be saying (here anyway) is that they failed to stop him because they didn't turn him in to LE. I can't believe anyone would consider charging them under those circumstances. By that reasoning, any family member of any suicide could be looking at criminal charges for failing to act to prevent the suicide.

JMO
I can and I hope that they do. JMO.

https://twitter.com/WFLAJosh

The most recent 3 tweets (as of right now) are curious:

FAMILY STATEMENT: “The Schmidt and Petito family has been aware of the circumstances surrounding the suicide of the sole suspect in Gabby’s murder. Gabby’s family will not be making a statement at this time due to the request of the United States Attorney’s Office…” (1/2)

“and the Teton County Prosecutor’s Office. The family was asked to not make any comments and let the FBI continue their investigation. The family was also asked to wait for the United States Attorney’s Office to make a determination on whether any additional individuals…” (2/3)

“will be charged. When that determination is made, we will have a statement.” (3/3) - Rick Stafford, Petito Family Attorney

Additional individuals. Hmmm....

Ugh. I can't quite put my finger on why his comment that the Laundrie family's "hope" that the revelation that Brian ended his own life "bring(s) closure to both families" is so bothersome to me. I guess reading that from Gabby's family's point of view, it's so offensive and patronizing....

It is a weird statement.

What I find bothersome about it is that while Gabby's family may never have "closure," crucial ingredients in that process are still missing: A report on what is known about what happened to Gabby, and also on what happened when BL went back to Florida.

The latter part brings us to the possibility of "charges against additional individuals" -- which might be the Ls themselves if they obstructed justice. I'm sure the Ls are grieving, but they may also wish for closure for all and especially themselves. But that wish may be premature.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members