Found Safe CA - Lateche Norris, 20, had a fight with bf, new to the area, San Diego, 5 Nov 2021 *At-Risk*

I hope she's safe.
I wonder what she said about their plans for housing.
Her boyfriend was newly homeless and she went with little money?

LE must be very overwhelmed, but IMO they should track down her boyfriend's location, if he's active on SM. Change her status to endangered missing and act accordingly.

NOV 29, 2021
Mother of missing woman Lateche Norris, 20, searches in San Diego | cbs8.com
[...[

The missing woman was last seen by an acquaintance on Nov. 4 at a 7-11 store on Park Avenue, next door to the downtown San Diego Library.

[...]

d861de2f-4ce9-45e0-a7b7-b0ee3c14e29f_1140x641.jpg

Credit: Madison County Sheriff

Booking photos and information from Madison County, Indiana indicated the couple was arrested on Sept. 28 on misdemeanor charges of “simple” domestic battery.

Neither Lateche nor Smith had a car in San Diego. The couple may have used the San Diego Trolley for local transportation, the mother said.

[...]

Walker filed a missing person’s report with SDPD via telephone on Nov. 9.

“My daughter would never go this long without contacting us. She would never not call back, especially given the conversation we had on the 5th,” said Walker.

[...]

“Do I think they're just out gallivanting around together? Absolutely not,” the mother said.

[...]

“SDPD is not considering her at-risk at this time. Anyone who has information should call SDPD or Crime Stoppers, “ responded Lt. Adam Sharki via email.

[...]

Hi! If you look at that Anderson, Indiana jail log link (Jail Log: Sept. 30), you can see that her BF is listed right above her.

• [Name of BF], 25, [Street address], Aptos, California. Booked 1:22 a.m. Tuesday, domestic battery.

• Lateche S. Norris , 19, [Street address], Anderson. Booked 1:39 a.m. Tuesday, domestic battery and failure to appear.

& this leads to further confusion as to how SDPD are naive enough to think she (or both of them) are not at risk.
This case has my head spinning…DV, drug debt, etc etc They could at least tread lightly and use some due diligence, did nobody in their office learn from Gabby’s case?
IMO Only but man these repeat DV cases really shatter my faith in people.

It's heartbreaking this is not getting press like Gabby's case. I was in SD 11/12-11/16 for a conference and didn't see flyers or anything and I was at the 7/11 she was last seen at multiple times.

A few observations from being there recently - I am similar in age and size to Lateche, but I am from a city. Going from Indiana to San Diego could be overwhelming and while I felt safe walking around SD alone, I wouldn't go out alone at night and there are definitely some streets just one block over from nicer streets that seem really desolate and sketch.

The water everywhere also makes me nervous. So many boats and marinas everywhere.

Is the boyfriend missing too? I know he posted on social days after she was missing. Has anyone made contact with him?

NOV 29, 2021
Indiana mom searches for missing daughter Lateche Norris (nypost.com)

Lateche Norris and Joseph “Joey” Smith are both aspiring tattoo artists.
Courtesy of Facebook

NOV 30, 2021
Missing Lateche Norris’ Mom Says She’s ‘Just as Important as Gabby Petito,’ as 20-Year-Old’s Disappearance Nears the One Month Mark – Crime Online
“I don’t care what anybody says, my daughter agreeing to rough it for a few days upon arriving here, does not mean she planned on being homeless. I know her, I’m not blind, and I’m not naïve,” she said, adding that her daughter does not have any previous or current issues with addiction.

It's heartbreaking this is not getting press like Gabby's case. I was in SD 11/12-11/16 for a conference and didn't see flyers or anything and I was at the 7/11 she was last seen at multiple times.

A few observations from being there recently - I am similar in age and size to Lateche, but I am from a city. Going from Indiana to San Diego could be overwhelming and while I felt safe walking around SD alone, I wouldn't go out alone at night and there are definitely some streets just one block over from nicer streets that seem really desolate and sketch.

The water everywhere also makes me nervous. So many boats and marinas everywhere.

Is the boyfriend missing too? I know he posted on social days after she was missing. Has anyone made contact with him?
CW, Lateche's mother, has called and left him messages, but he hasn't responded to her, and yet he's been very active on his social media accounts. Lateche had an argument with him and somehow he either took her phone or she lost it, so she found someone at the 7/11 who allowed her to use their phone to call her mother. Lateche told her mother that she had had a fight with her bf and needed his cellphone number so she could call him. Her mother gave her the number, then Lateche said she would call her mother right back after she talked to her boyfriend. When Lateche hadn't called back by the next day, CW called and messaged the boyfriend, when she got no response, she called the police. They told her "this happens all the time". So the PD is treating this like a homeless adult who doesn't want to stay in contact with their parents. CW is trying to show that her daughter isn't a runaway, she had routinely stayed in contact before this, hasn't even posted on social media since Nov 4, has a boyfriend with a previous violent history, and was currently living on the streets. I can't imagine her frustration.

One thing about San Diego I had noticed is that in downtown, there is a museum park. Several museums side-by-side. Very convenient, but here is what I am thinking: in Natural History museum, there is “All that glitters”, an expo with the most beautiful, rarest gems. Including red diamonds. They probably have cameras all around the building. (In my time, about 10 years ago, they had two security men guarding that place.) And around, too, there is one museum next to another. They have to check all these museum cameras, as in downtown, homeless move around. These two places, Petco Park and Museum Pask (Science Park) are not so far from one another, divided by I-5. And around Petco park, there are many hotels and the library and the pier, too.
All cameras need to be checked until it is too late. I don’t understand their police, (except for the fact that they are predictably overwhelmed). But a young non-local woman!

NOV 29, 2021
Indiana mom searches for missing daughter Lateche Norris (nypost.com)

Lateche Norris and Joseph “Joey” Smith are both aspiring tattoo artists.
Courtesy of Facebook

NOV 30, 2021
Missing Lateche Norris’ Mom Says She’s ‘Just as Important as Gabby Petito,’ as 20-Year-Old’s Disappearance Nears the One Month Mark – Crime Online
“I don’t care what anybody says, my daughter agreeing to rough it for a few days upon arriving here, does not mean she planned on being homeless. I know her, I’m not blind, and I’m not naïve,” she said, adding that her daughter does not have any previous or current issues with addiction.

IMO - My thoughts are that Lateche didn't go there broke - she probably had money and intended to find them a place to live. I wonder if the BF took her money? Would she have had cash?

NewsNation Reporter Brian Entin posted this to Twitter it’s a bit ago.

https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1465773468138491909?s=21

I'll be filling in for Banfield tonight at 10pmET on NewsNation - and interviewing Lateche Norris' mother about the 20-year-old's disappearance.
She was last seen on 11/5 using a stranger's phone at a 7-11 in San Diego.
If you have info -- call San Diego Police 619-531-2446.”
https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1465774437907800065?s=21
“Lateche was last seen arguing with her boyfriend Joey Smith. His location is also not known. Just got off the phone with Lateche's mom Cheryl -- you can imagine she is extremely worried and says Joey was abusive. More at tonight on NewsNation.”

Lateche Norris' mom, Cheryl Walker, told the US Sun that Joey Smith broke at least four of her daughter's phones during arguments since May and followed her when she tried to cool off after a fight.

"He always followed her around. He wouldn't do anything or go anywhere without her," Walker said in an exclusive interview on Tuesday - more than three weeks after Norris went missing.

"He's an addict and went out to San Diego to get help," she said. "But he wasn't sober and was living on the streets."

More at Missing TikToker's boyfriend is 'possessive and broke her phone', mom reveals

The drug and homeless situation is SO much different on the west coast vs Indiana too. I’m Indiana it may be easier to find a shelter bed because of lower homeless populations. It is also probably not as easy as you think to get help for addiction in a huge city with tons of addicts. Finally, cost of living is drastically different even just for things like groceries and eating out. If his drug of choice was significantly more expensive in CA than IN, how was he paying for it?

someone in active addition needs a steady stream of income at all times.

If she called him from 7-11, they should have video surveillance of her there. I would hope they could look to see if he showed up as well. I think her mom needs to hire an attorney to talk to the police for her. The police need to take this seriously. I hate that they are brushing it off as a voluntary disappearance.

I hope they got footage from 7/11 to see if he came and met up with her. It frustrates me when, in missing persons cases, the footage is erased or police do not act urgently to get footage before it is gone. I had an experience where I needed to obtain security footage from a restaurant and could not without a police subpoena. They record over in three days usually, but I asked them to preserve it until the police could prepare a subpoena and they did. I hope when people are searching for missing loved ones they ask places like this to preserve the footage in case the police don't get it in time.

The drug and homeless situation is SO much different on the west coast vs Indiana too. I’m Indiana it may be easier to find a shelter bed because of lower homeless populations. It is also probably not as easy as you think to get help for addiction in a huge city with tons of addicts. Finally, cost of living is drastically different even just for things like groceries and eating out. If his drug of choice was significantly more expensive in CA than IN, how was he paying for it?

All major cities on West Coast have a huge problem with homelessness, mental health and addiction. However, Thanksgiving dinners… speak to organizers, Union Gospel, Salvation Army, etc. maybe some people feeding the homeless saw her? She had a face that is easily remembered.

If she called him from 7-11, they should have video surveillance of her there. I would hope they could look to see if he showed up as well. I think her mom needs to hire an attorney to talk to the police for her. The police need to take this seriously. I hate that they are brushing it off as a voluntary disappearance.
I think that's exactly what has happened. And by the time they get around to realizing their mistake, the trail will be cold.

Lateche sounds like a very loving and caring young woman who didn't realize she was getting in over her head. But the point is, she has a supportive family who are not going to stop and she will be found. My other concern is that the bf is keeping her from being able to contact people.

The homeless live under every bridge, bush and available spot in SD. I lived there for 2 years and saw them EVERYWHERE. LE has their work cut out for them if they are willing to do the work. Doesn’t sound like they are that motivated from the posts I’m seeing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda
Back