Found Deceased MO - Cassidy Rainwater, 33, *GRAPHIC CONTENT* nude & caged in photos, Buffalo, 15 Jul 2021 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this normal? All the rescheduling? Anyone know?
I haven't had time to look into all of the docket entries -- and boy there are a lot -- however, one thing that stuck out to me was that the local media (KY3, KOLR10) were denied access to film video or record audio for either the motion hearing or preliminary hearing -- maybe both? When I initially saw that on the docket, I presumed it has something to do with affecting a potential jury selection, however IMO that's going to be the case if they try this case in the county where the murder took place. I'm surprised the attorneys for the defendants have not filed a motion to change venue, as it is my understanding if they were to do so they would have already done it.

Let me get off that tangent though and back to what I really find interesting -- the media was denied coverage and the judge presiding cited Court Operating Rule 16.03. Of course I had to look that up. It would appear that on 3/18, according to the docket entry on that date, the media coordinator for the 30th circuit, Mr. Gene Hartley, not only inquired about the Court Operating Rule, but a protective order was also granted for discovery. Could anyone with a broader legal background elaborate as to why there would need to be a protective order requested? It's my understanding discovery is never accessible to the media or anyone besides counsel. It just seems like a strange thing -- paranoia almost at information leaking. Again this could all go back to tainting a jury pool. It would appear KY3 and KOLR10 did not request access to the hearings in time, violating Court Operating Rule 16.03 which states in entirety (reason I believe they were denied, at least on paper, in bold for easier reading):

Approved for publication Aug. 21, 1995. Amended Feb. 22, 2000; Mar. 21, 2018, eff. July 1, 2018; May 29, 2018, eff. July 1, 2018.)
16.03 PROCEDURAL

• (a) Media Coordinators.

• (1) Each circuit and appellate court shall provide this Court with the name and contact information of the person recommended to serve as its media coordinator. Media coordinators shall be appointed by this Court. A media coordinator may be either a member of the media or a local court employee.

(2) In the event a media coordinator has not been appointed or is not available, a judge for a particular proceeding, or his or her designee, shall serve as media coordinator.

(3) Media coordinators shall be responsible for all arrangements for media coverage, including initial requests for coverage and any issues that may arise during the course of coverage.
    (b) Advance Notice of Media Coverage. Subject to a judge extending or reducing these times to ensure adequate notice, to prevent delay in a trial or other judicial proceeding, and to ensure the efficient administration of justice:

• (1) All requests by the media for media coverage or otherwise to use media equipment in the courtroom shall be made to the media coordinator in writing as soon as practicable after the judicial proceeding is scheduled but at least two business days in advance of the scheduled proceeding. If a proceeding is scheduled with fewer than two business days' notice, then any request for media coverage must be made as soon as practicable thereafter. This Court's communications counsel shall post the names and contact information of the media coordinators on the Missouri Court website.

(2) The media coordinator, in turn, shall give notice in writing of said request to counsel for all parties, parties appearing without counsel, and the judge as soon as practicable. In addition, the media coordinator shall submit a copy of the notice to the clerk of the court in which the proceeding is being held.

(3) Before trial commences, counsel shall inform any person counsel may call as a witness that the witness will be subject to media coverage unless the judge limits or prohibits such coverage.

• (c) Any media making a request to a media coordinator for media coverage of a judicial proceeding shall include the name of the person seeking such coverage; the affiliated entity, if any; and the media equipment to be used. The media coordinator shall provide this information to the judge, as to all media granted access to media coverage under this operating rule, as soon as practicable before a judicial proceeding is scheduled to begin.

(d) Objections. Upon the objection of a party or a participant or on a judge's own motion, a judge may prohibit any or all media coverage of a participant in a judicial proceeding or any or all of the participant's testimony.

(e) Media Hearing. A judge may hold a hearing concerning applications or plans for media coverage. During the hearing, the judge may hear any objections to media coverage and set terms and conditions of media coverage.

Thoughts or elaborations anyone?

I haven't had time to look into all of the docket entries -- and boy there are a lot -- however, one thing that stuck out to me was that the local media (KY3, KOLR10) were denied access to film video or record audio for either the motion hearing or preliminary hearing -- maybe both? When I initially saw that on the docket, I presumed it has something to do with affecting a potential jury selection, however IMO that's going to be the case if they try this case in the county where the murder took place. I'm surprised the attorneys for the defendants have not filed a motion to change venue, as it is my understanding if they were to do so they would have already done it.

Let me get off that tangent though and back to what I really find interesting -- the media was denied coverage and the judge presiding cited Court Operating Rule 16.03. Of course I had to look that up. It would appear that on 3/18, according to the docket entry on that date, the media coordinator for the 30th circuit, Mr. Gene Hartley, not only inquired about the Court Operating Rule, but a protective order was also granted for discovery. Could anyone with a broader legal background elaborate as to why there would need to be a protective order requested? It's my understanding discovery is never accessible to the media or anyone besides counsel. It just seems like a strange thing -- paranoia almost at information leaking. Again this could all go back to tainting a jury pool. It would appear KY3 and KOLR10 did not request access to the hearings in time, violating Court Operating Rule 16.03 which states in entirety (reason I believe they were denied, at least on paper, in bold for easier reading):

Approved for publication Aug. 21, 1995. Amended Feb. 22, 2000; Mar. 21, 2018, eff. July 1, 2018; May 29, 2018, eff. July 1, 2018.)
16.03 PROCEDURAL

• (1) Each circuit and appellate court shall provide this Court with the name and contact information of the person recommended to serve as its media coordinator. Media coordinators shall be appointed by this Court. A media coordinator may be either a member of the media or a local court employee.

(2) In the event a media coordinator has not been appointed or is not available, a judge for a particular proceeding, or his or her designee, shall serve as media coordinator.

(3) Media coordinators shall be responsible for all arrangements for media coverage, including initial requests for coverage and any issues that may arise during the course of coverage.
    (b) Advance Notice of Media Coverage. Subject to a judge extending or reducing these times to ensure adequate notice, to prevent delay in a trial or other judicial proceeding, and to ensure the efficient administration of justice:

• (1) All requests by the media for media coverage or otherwise to use media equipment in the courtroom shall be made to the media coordinator in writing as soon as practicable after the judicial proceeding is scheduled but at least two business days in advance of the scheduled proceeding. If a proceeding is scheduled with fewer than two business days' notice, then any request for media coverage must be made as soon as practicable thereafter. This Court's communications counsel shall post the names and contact information of the media coordinators on the Missouri Court website.

(2) The media coordinator, in turn, shall give notice in writing of said request to counsel for all parties, parties appearing without counsel, and the judge as soon as practicable. In addition, the media coordinator shall submit a copy of the notice to the clerk of the court in which the proceeding is being held.

(3) Before trial commences, counsel shall inform any person counsel may call as a witness that the witness will be subject to media coverage unless the judge limits or prohibits such coverage.

• (c) Any media making a request to a media coordinator for media coverage of a judicial proceeding shall include the name of the person seeking such coverage; the affiliated entity, if any; and the media equipment to be used. The media coordinator shall provide this information to the judge, as to all media granted access to media coverage under this operating rule, as soon as practicable before a judicial proceeding is scheduled to begin.

(d) Objections. Upon the objection of a party or a participant or on a judge's own motion, a judge may prohibit any or all media coverage of a participant in a judicial proceeding or any or all of the participant's testimony.

(e) Media Hearing. A judge may hold a hearing concerning applications or plans for media coverage. During the hearing, the judge may hear any objections to media coverage and set terms and conditions of media coverage.

IANAL, but it does appear they're concerned about pre-trial publicity, tainting the jury pool, etc. The details are going to be very graphic. In the pre-trial process I've been following for a gruesome, brutal mass murder in Ohio, there are some discovery documents that are available to the public. They don't have much detail, though. There is a gag order on that case and, up until recently, everyone has obeyed it. They do allow the hearings to be broadcast live on a media "pool" video set up.

From what I understand in the Ohio case, many of these motions are considered highly recommended or mandatory in death penalty cases, so it may be the same in MO. Sounds like the court is being careful to avoid a mistrial, though with a DP case, appeals are inevitable.

Thanks for the great summary!

JMO

16.03 PROCEDURAL

Thanks for all this research!

I am not a lawyer but I would also add there is also a protective order over the
"Griffeye file list volume" which is:

"Griffeye Analyze is used by law enforcement across the world for processing, sorting and analyzing large volumes of images and videos—with a focus on cases containing child sexual abuse material"

I would take a wild guess that the protective order for discovery is about the nature and circumstances of the facts of the case.

Also Protecting any witnesses? and maybe even protecting JP and TN. If their lives are in danger from the discovery of other people involved? So no media.

Thanks for all this research!

I am not a lawyer but I would also add there is also a protective order over the
"Griffeye file list volume" which is:

"Griffeye Analyze is used by law enforcement across the world for processing, sorting and analyzing large volumes of images and videos—with a focus on cases containing child sexual abuse material"

I would take a wild guess that the protective order for discovery is about the nature and circumstances of the facts of the case.

Also Protecting any witnesses? and maybe even protecting JP and TN. If their lives are in danger from the discovery of other people involved? So no media.

Thanks, that puts the court rules and procedures in context. There's a lot of evidence they don't want released before the trials, for very good reason. Horrible evidence.

I'm hoping the LE investigators who had to study all those images received some counseling and support for what they saw. Same for the "nature and circumstances" of the facts of the case.

Also predicting these trials will attract news media from around the world. It will be a lot of work managing the news media.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how much new information about the case, if any, will be disclosed to the public at the "Criminal Setting". I live in the area and intend on going to the trial if possible. Last docket entry for James Phelps is "4/19 "entry of appearance". Last docket entry for Timothy Norton is 4/26 "Plea/Trial Setting".

What I find really interesting is that the same DA and assistant DA are prosecuting both cases. Not sure how typical that is in such a small county. Phelps has four lawyers and someone listed as "co counsel", from various other cities. Norton just has one attorney. Neither of these innocent until proven guilty lunatics are using public defenders anymore, then again Phelps still has a public defender listed on Casenet along with two other public defenders, and a lawyer whose Google search yields nothing more than a dated photo and "injury law" associated with the address. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in the beginning they were only using public defenders.One of Phelps' attorneys is listed as a personal injury lawyer in Springfield, though the address on case net says Bolivar.

I really wonder how they're getting the money to pay for representation. Is it typical to have multiple public defenders? Not to jump down any rabbit holes, but I also find it hard to believe their families would have that kind of money either. I mean lets face it, this isn't a case that most law firms or attorneys in general would want to be associated with IMO. Those from the area -- maybe Dee Wampler would have been all over this, as he was with Craig Michael Wood.

I always say follow the money, but I doubt anyone is going to be able to find out how they're paying for representation.

Also wanted to add, as I commute through Lebanon regularly from Springfield, I saw a semi truck on Friday with old Missouri plates. By old, I mean they updated our license plates years ago, at least three if memory serves me correctly. Truck drivers are always suspicious to me, even if I'm not conscious of it -- too many sickos drawn to that career. Just thought it was interesting, being as it was on I-44 near where this crime occurred. Many sheriffs and Highway Patrol out that day, as there was an accident and traffic was backed up a good mile or two. Didn't see the truck get pulled over.

Interested to hear your thoughts everyone. I never mind doing the research because you all make such good points and always build on it.

I'm wondering how much new information about the case, if any, will be disclosed to the public at the "Criminal Setting". I live in the area and intend on going to the trial if possible. Last docket entry for James Phelps is "4/19 "entry of appearance". Last docket entry for Timothy Norton is 4/26 "Plea/Trial Setting".

What I find really interesting is that the same DA and assistant DA are prosecuting both cases. Not sure how typical that is in such a small county. Phelps has four lawyers and someone listed as "co counsel", from various other cities. Norton just has one attorney. Neither of these innocent until proven guilty lunatics are using public defenders anymore, then again Phelps still has a public defender listed on Casenet along with two other public defenders, and a lawyer whose Google search yields nothing more than a dated photo and "injury law" associated with the address. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in the beginning they were only using public defenders.One of Phelps' attorneys is listed as a personal injury lawyer in Springfield, though the address on case net says Bolivar.

I really wonder how they're getting the money to pay for representation. Is it typical to have multiple public defenders? Not to jump down any rabbit holes, but I also find it hard to believe their families would have that kind of money either. I mean lets face it, this isn't a case that most law firms or attorneys in general would want to be associated with IMO. Those from the area -- maybe Dee Wampler would have been all over this, as he was with Craig Michael Wood.

I always say follow the money, but I doubt anyone is going to be able to find out how they're paying for representation.

Also wanted to add, as I commute through Lebanon regularly from Springfield, I saw a semi truck on Friday with old Missouri plates. By old, I mean they updated our license plates years ago, at least three if memory serves me correctly. Truck drivers are always suspicious to me, even if I'm not conscious of it -- too many sickos drawn to that career. Just thought it was interesting, being as it was on I-44 near where this crime occurred. Many sheriffs and Highway Patrol out that day, as there was an accident and traffic was backed up a good mile or two. Didn't see the truck get pulled over.

Interested to hear your thoughts everyone. I never mind doing the research because you all make such good points and always build on it.
Good points you have stated here. I too wonder about the attorneys. A public defender is appointed to a defendant as fas as I am aware. IMO I have long suspected that the dark web is involved somehow. There are a number of reasons that its possible. I am very surprised as my tendency on Websleuths is to ponder the mysterious circumstances of a case (if there are any in a case) that people in general and other sleuthers seem to not want to accept the possibility of a wider angle and possible multiple people's involvment due to the dark web. If the the dark web is involved possibly then financial gain may be had by a perp. So its not just one motive it could also include financial as well and who knows how that plays out for a perp. So yes, I too find it interesting how he could have four attorney's. All MOO!!

@DetectiveDraper I believe the rules for legal representation are different when perps are facing the death penalty. In that case the state usually has to provide attorneys qualified to defend them. Each state usually has a pool of DP qualified attorneys to draw from and they're often in private practice.

That said, four attorneys seems like a lot.

It will be interesting to learn from the trials if this was part of a larger network of criminal activity on the web. Phelps didn't seem to have any regular job. He must have been making a living this way.

Good points you have stated here. I too wonder about the attorneys. A public defender is appointed to a defendant as fas as I am aware. IMO I have long suspected that the dark web is involved somehow. There are a number of reasons that its possible. I am very surprised as my tendency on Websleuths is to ponder the mysterious circumstances of a case (if there are any in a case) that people in general and other sleuthers seem to not want to accept the possibility of a wider angle and possible multiple people's involvment due to the dark web. If the the dark web is involved possibly then financial gain may be had by a perp. So its not just one motive it could also include financial as well and who knows how that plays out for a perp. So yes, I too find it interesting how he could have four attorney's. All MOO!!
I'm glad you picked up on what I was throwing down there. If there are other people involved, how would they ensure they are never linked to paying for counsel for the defendants? I wonder if there are any laws that make it mandatory to disclose how you are paying for your lawyer(s)?

I'm glad you picked up on what I was throwing down there. If there are other people involved, how would they ensure they are never linked to paying for counsel for the defendants? I wonder if there are any laws that make it mandatory to disclose how you are paying for your lawyer(s)?

Do you mean someone like an "unindicted co-conspirator"? If the FBI is working on this, and it involves ongoing investigations of the "dark web", one would think they would be watching to see if something like that happens. If this involved horrible sex and other crimes on the "dark web", it's possible they're investigating this as part of a much larger network or whatever.

ETA: JMO, but I pray the FBI is watching over all of this, along with investigating these creeps ties in the dark web.

Here's a link about DP certified attorney guidelines in Missouri

Sometimes DP attorneys do use assistants in the courtroom. I'm thinking of the Rhoden Family Massacre case in Pike County, OH, where 4 members of the same family killed 8 members of another family. All 4 are facing the DP, all have teams of DP certified private practice attorneys. One team has 2 women legal assistants who sometimes come to court with them. One has even argued a motion in court. They're part of the team, but I'm not sure if the state pays for them, too. Likely, they pay them a stipend that covers the attorneys and the cost of work their staff does on the case, whether or not they appear in court.

Here's Billy Wagner in court with his attorneys and one of the legal assistants/attorneys sitting behind him.

I think that may be priviledged information between an attorney and their client so disclosure may not be obligated by law, IMO. I could be wrong though. Unfortunately most ordinary people/citizens aren't aware of how far the reach of the dark web is. Often times its rings of similar thinking and behaving people and many of them are technologically smart. So I think they run very sophisticated operations that even the police and FBI have a tough time tackling. Its unfortunate people who for one reason or another are lured into being harmed by them or for whatever reason the individual/s are vulnerable and are thus harmed by them. So I really have had discussions on other cases and its not really given precedent that the Dark Web could have a huge influence on criminal behaviour.

Another thing I have to say is that the Dark Web exists because like minded people are controlling it. Its like anything IMO its only going to get worst. That's why LE has to be on top of it and I'm sure they are to a certain extent when victims come forward or are somehow rescued only then do these things become general knowledge, otherwise, who knows? It is a reality unfortunately. As much as we don't want to accept it its there!

About truck drivers I have to say that many can also be harmed as well so its a case by case basis IMO. They go to desolate places. So that is always an isuse and as one can see it can allude to so many situations. Although we recently had a truck driver who saw a deceased woman on the side of a highway and reported it to LE. She was the victim of a homicide, she led a precarious life as in a transient manner, sadly. It was the truck driver's observation that alerted authorities. I realize your point that's why point noted is that they drive in and to desolate areas so anything can happen and to them as well. In todays age though we have dash cams. Possibly that may be a deterrant. All moo.

I don't know why post #975 turned out the way it did I apologize. Its very long, sorry.

Those from the area -- maybe Dee Wampler would have been all over this, as he was with Craig Michael Wood.

It's really a shame that Wampler's obit didn't mention his hard work in helping this killer win acquittal.

I was shocked to read the current city prosecutor of Springfield praising Wampler and talking about how much he learned from him. The man was a menace who used underhanded tactics and bullying to help a lot of murderers stay free, all in the name of being a "good Christian".

JMO, it influenced the number of cold case murders that happened in that town.

Never forget Wampler's team getting an aquittal for John Feeney, who killed his wife and two kids, then pretended it was an intruder. I read that book, what a miscarriage of justice.

Look how long its taken this guy to go to trial

Didn't he also get an acquittal for a guy who killed his wife in front of his daughter, then helped him keep custody of the daughter?

I am just starting to read about this case and when I looked at that list of deviants I wanted to throw up! So many sexual atrocities with minors! This is horrible.
I wonder if they were aware of one another or knew each other. My next thought would be like minded tend to be on good terms with one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark