TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
At last Friday's presser, I recall the Director of DPS stating that there was a Jack & Jill restroom between the joint classrooms of Mireles and Garcia, or rooms 111 & 112.
That’s how my mom’s classroom was set up — she taught 1st grade. Her classroom shared a single stall bathroom the size of a small closet and a sink with the other classroom. The bathroom was only used by my mom and the other teacher. (They probably let a student use the sink if they were in a pinch.)

So basically, the setup was like this:
my mom’s classroom —> locked side door —> a small space the size of a closet (to the right there was another door that opened up to a single toilet and to the left was a single sink) —> locked adjoining teacher’s side door —> other classroom.

That’s how my mom’s classroom was set up — she taught 1st grade. Her classroom shared a single stall bathroom the size of a small closet and a sink with the other classroom. The bathroom was only used by my mom and the other teacher. (They probably let a student use the sink if they were in a pinch.)

So basically, the setup was like this:
my mom’s classroom —> locked side door —> a small space the size of a closet (to the right there was another door that opened up to a single toilet and to the left was a single sink) —> locked adjoining teacher’s side door —> other classroom.
One of the teachers, (I think Eva Mireles), was said to also teach special needs children. My nephew is special needs student and his classroom is required to have a restroom. I think it's probably why I recalled the comment by the Director. :)

Found this on the District website - it was posted today.

Seems Robb Elementary is closed period - states children will not return to that campus

Message from Dr. Harrell_6.1.22.docx.pdf

This is the district website:

Yes -- Ken5 News confirmed this during noon news today.

Also, there's a long-held tradition where the graduating Uvalde High School Seniors return to Robb Elementary school in their cap and gowns and march through the halls where the elementary students hold up signs of congratulations to the class of 202X -- where some of the students here are siblings of the seniors.

I believe the Class of 2022 did their senior march on Monday, the day before the shooting. (I previously saw the school march by the Class of 2021, and it brought tears to my eyes). MOO ^^bbm

Uvalde elementary walk day -- Class of 2022:

In an interview with The Washington Post, McLaughlin (R) said he rushed to Hillcrest Funeral Home about 15 minutes after “the first call”

He found himself standing next to an official he identified only as “the negotiator”, while frightened parents gathered outside the school and police waited for more than an hour to take storming the classroom.

“His main focus was trying to get this person on the phone,” McLaughlin said in the interview, which was conducted by Telemundo San Antonio. “They tried every number they could find,” but the shooter didn’t pick up the phone…

He said he didn’t believe the negotiator was aware there were children calling 911 and asking the police to rescue them while the shooter was in the classroom.
The mayor said he was not aware of these calls, nor did he hear any shots fired from inside the school across the street. McLaughlin said he had not been in contact with Pete Arredondo…

McLaughlin said he could not imagine the school returning to normal operation.
“I hope we tear it down to the ground,” he said. “I would never expect a teacher, a student, anyone to go back in that building.”

If teachers or the lunch lady feel comfortable being armed, but many do not.
I'd prefer guns weren't sold to 18-year-olds with sealed juvie records, but if the law cannot be changed or the age raised to at least 21 then schools will have to become locked down tight with armed security guards. But that includes all shopping malls, grocery stores, everywhere.
Literally, no place is safe.

Exactly! (Imagination helpfully draws the picture of a priest concealed-carrying under his cassock, or a surgeon opting for open carry in an operating room).

Either not paying attention or afraid of him!
Well, from what is written, his mother's house was dysfunctional; grandparents were probably old and didn't see his SM; father had a lengthy criminal record. Sister is alienated from the father and is in the Navy, as it seems, trying to break away from a dysfunctional family and make something out of her life.

Finally found an update on the injured victims:

6/1/2022

[..]

Three people injured by the gunman remained hospitalized Tuesday at University Hospital San Antonio. The gunman’s 66-year-old grandmother, who was shot in the face before the attack on the school, is in good condition; a 9-year-old girl is in good condition; and a 10-year-old girl is in serious condition, the hospital said.

More updates to the story about the teacher and the door:

Flanary added that the teacher even remembers pulling and holding onto the door — which has a horizontal push bar — while on the phone with 911.

The 911 call dropped

Dispatchers did not call her back

She tried to use the intercom to reach others in the school office, but there was no response

Once she could hear that the gunman was in the building, she hid and kept quiet.

Her own students were not in the classroom. They were at lunch

She could hear police in the building at 11:40

She was texting during this time

Police came for her at 12:10 pm

She said they do not have a resource officer at Robb

Last edited:
Interesting comment by a person that interacted with SR almost daily on Yubo group video live stream where SR last joined the group on Saturday, May 21. Seems SR only had two speeds -- angry and argumentative, or emotionless.

More updates to the story about the teacher and the door:

Flanary added that the teacher even remembers pulling and holding onto the door — which has a horizontal push bar — while on the phone with 911.

The 911 call dropped

Dispatchers did not call her back

She tried to use the intercom to reach others in the school office, but there was no response

Once she could hear that the gunman was in the building, she hid and kept quiet.

Her own students were not in the classroom. They were at lunch

She could hear police in the building at 11:40

She was texting during this time

Police came for her at 12:10 pm

She said they do not have a resource officer at Robb

Aren’t they supposed to call back? She really tried everything she could to warn people

Aren’t they supposed to call back? She really tried everything she could to warn people
The writer does not distinguish between "open" and "unlocked" well enough to know about the status of other two building doors. [I'm not sure of the relevance of the status of those doors unless they are part of the crime. Also, we are not told where are they located].

Does open mean standing open/ajar to any degree? Or does open mean unlocked?

Also, we need to know whether the door he went in had a handle. If it was closed completely shut with no external handle, how could he open it even if unlocked?

Also, any teacher who does not know whether there is an SRO assigned to her campus/building and how to reach that officer is not well trained/prepared for an emergency.

There is still lack of clarity. So many questions!

JMO

The writer does not distinguish between "open" and "unlocked" well enough to know about the status of other two building doors. [I'm not sure of the relevance of the status of those doors unless they are part of the crime. Also, we are not told where are they located].

Does open mean standing open/ajar to any degree? Or does open mean unlocked?

Also, we need to know whether the door he went in had a handle. If it was closed completely shut with no external handle, how could he open it even if unlocked?

Also, any teacher who does not know whether there is an SRO assigned to her campus/building and how to reach that officer is not well trained/prepared for an emergency.

There is still lack of clarity. So many questions!

JMO

Does this help? Teacher closed the propped open door, but it was not locked.

Does this help? Teacher closed the propped open door, but it was not locked.

No, because it does not say whether that door has an external handle. I'm not sure it does. We need to know exactly how he was able to open it. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member