UK UK - Ruth Wilson, 16, Dorking, 27 Nov 1995

On another note, I havent seen any mention of Ruth carrying any luggage or having taken any personal effects or clothes ect from her house ?

Not definitive proof that she didnt intend to leave for long. But definitely odd behaviour to run away with nothing on her person.
A witness who knew Ruth reported seeing her walking along Reigate Road with a suitcase on the day of her disappearance, or the day after.

The CCTV from the newsagent one year after the disappearance seems to show that Ruth did make it, if it was Ruth. If it wasn't her, who else might have wanted a copy of each local paper on that particular day?

Sorry I just remembered she is 16 and already working in music shop -

But eventually as time went on and workplaces need to check ID ect, she must have had to get a fake ID or something. How do you even begin to navigate government gate ways, tax ect on fake documentation in UK ? It is hard enough as an actual citizen >_<

I really don't think she would have resources to accomplish that on her own at all.
Back in 1995 it was still easy to get a driving licence as photo licences were not introduced until 98 or 99. Possession of such a licence could then be used to leverage other forms of identification. Although only 16 Ruth would have been able to apply for such a licence for a moped. The British Visitors passport (a one year passport, much easier to get than a full passport) was also still available in 1995 (it was withdrawn in 1996). I seem to recall that a driving licence would have been an acceptable form of identification for this passport which could be got over the counter at Post Offices. Seems surprising but much has changed since those days.

A witness who knew Ruth reported seeing her walking along Reigate Road with a suitcase on the day of her disappearance, or the day after.

The CCTV from the newsagent one year after the disappearance seems to show that Ruth did make it, if it was Ruth. If it wasn't her, who else might have wanted a copy of each local paper on that particular day?
I am doubtful about the shop sighting, but it is possible. However I find the Reigate Road sighting more persuasive as it was someone who knew her. The problem, as has been previously discussed, is that Reigate Road runs several miles from Dorking to Reigate and it is important to know where she was seen on that road - information which I have not seen. A precise location could indicate proximity to home, Betchworth station, friends homes etc. The comment that she was seen 5 miles from the pub where she was dropped makes no sense and I suspect is a 'by road' distance (as you would need to go back to Dorking and out by road). There are many pathways across Box Hill to get from the pub down to the Reigate Road much quicker.

Just catching up with this thread after recently finding out about Ruth's disappearance and watching the Martin Bright/Liam MacAuley documentary (Vanished: The Missing Surrey Schoolgirl). It's an intriguing case, and there are many interesting points and theories in this thread. A few other thoughts have come to mind:

There's a detail on Nesta Wilson's death certificate (attached in this post: UK - UK - Ruth Wilson, 16, Dorking, 27 Nov 1995) that caught my attention, one that I don't think anyone else has mentioned - that Nesta died at hospital, so some time after hanging herself. So desperately sad. Perhaps this aspect affected Ruth badly, too, as well discovering how her mother died.

Also, like others here, I have wondered if Ian Wilson had any involvement in Nesta's death (directly or indirectly), and wonder if the possibility was considered or investigated sufficiently at the time.

The open letter Ian wrote to Ruth in 2006 (Daily Mail, 21.12.2006) seems very strange - quite narcisistic and victim-blaming - as suggested here: THE EXTREMELY BIZARRE & MYSTERIOUS DISAPPEARANCE OF RUTH WILSON, Cold Cases with Colette
(analysis of the open letter from ~27m 10s). The letter begins: "Dear Ruth, We still have the presents we bought you for Christmas in 1995.", full text at: 'MISSING: OPERATION SCHOLAR: RUTH WILSON' by scepticpeg: MISSING: OPERATION SCHOLAR: RUTH WILSON

Apparently, a body can easily be missed, despite intensive searching for four weeks, eg Richard Morris, diplomat missing for five months before his body was found in August 2020: BBC News 'Richard Morris: Body found in search for missing diplomat': Richard Morris: Body found in search for missing diplomat However, I am not sure this is a good example, as I would lean towards the theory that the body was placed there after the search.

I'm fairly conviced Ruth went missing deliberately and is out there somewhere - that's what the available evidence seems to show, and that she had help, and someone knows more than they are saying.
That video was a very very interesting share - I found out several new things.

My first post on Websleuths (I joined after being interested by this thread!)...Not sure what others think, but for me the suicide theory just doesn't add up. So, she takes a taxi to Box Hill, takes an overdose and leaves the empty packets hidden under a bush along with the 3 'suicide notes', but no body is ever found? If Ruth's intention was to end her life up on Box Hill, it makes no sense to me that she would have hidden those items, or that she would then walk some distance away and find a hiding place in which to die. In my experience, if a person leaves a suicide note, they either leave it on their person, in their immediate vicinity or at their home address.

Also, the trip to the library prior to going missing, maybe that's when she wrote the notes? It strikes me that she likely wouldn't have kept them in her room at home in case her parents found them.

Question...does anybody know the exact location of the below:

1. Where she was dropped off? I note some reports say it was a lay-by outside what is now The Tree at Box Hill pub, but I'm unable to find a lay-by anywhere near (I appreciate the road may have changed).

2. Where the notes were found? I've seen a couple of reports saying they were near a quarry, but unsure if that's true and, if so, where it is.

If she was dropped off at the pub it seems a little odd if she was trying to avoid being seen, is it not more of a landmark you'd arrange to meet someone at? Just throwing ideas out there.

1. Where she was dropped off? I note some reports say it was a lay-by outside what is now The Tree at Box Hill pub, but I'm unable to find a lay-by anywhere near (I appreciate the road may have changed).

2. Where the notes were found? I've seen a couple of reports saying they were near a quarry, but unsure if that's true and, if so, where it is.

If she was dropped off at the pub it seems a little odd if she was trying to avoid being seen, is it not more of a landmark you'd arrange to meet someone at? Just throwing ideas out there.
I assumed references to dropping off were used fairly loosely and, most probably, the taxi driver just dropped her at the pub car park where it would be easy to pull in and turn round. Not a lay by in the strict sense but the obvious place. The old quarry is at the base of Box Hill if you follow a straight line from The Tree down the hill toward Brockham (which is next to her home village of Betchworth). It is just on the Box Hill side of the railway line and is now a fishing lake. I think there are additional minor quarry workings in the vicinity of the lake but tree covered and much less significant. At the time the quarry area was searched by both police and sniffer dogs, to no effect. I do not know if the lake was dived but given the commercial fishing use a body would have almost certainly been snagged or detected during maintenance.
I agree about the pub as a meeting place but very little about this case makes much sense apart from the obvious planning involved.

I assumed references to dropping off were used fairly loosely and, most probably, the taxi driver just dropped her at the pub car park where it would be easy to pull in and turn round. Not a lay by in the strict sense but the obvious place. The old quarry is at the base of Box Hill if you follow a straight line from The Tree down the hill toward Brockham (which is next to her home village of Betchworth). It is just on the Box Hill side of the railway line and is now a fishing lake. I think there are additional minor quarry workings in the vicinity of the lake but tree covered and much less significant. At the time the quarry area was searched by both police and sniffer dogs, to no effect. I do not know if the lake was dived but given the commercial fishing use a body would have almost certainly been snagged or detected during maintenance.
I agree about the pub as a meeting place but very little about this case makes much sense apart from the obvious planning involved.
Thanks for the response! So, from what you've said I'm guessing the quarry is what's now marked as "The old quarry fishery and trials" on Google...very odd. So, she gets dropped off at the pub which is about a mile away (as the crow flies) from the quarry where the notes were found. I don't know the area, but from Google maps it would seem strange to get dropped off at that location when the A25, a main road, is much nearer the quarry. As you say, nothing seems to make much sense!

The taxi driver specifically said he dropped Ruth at a bridleway near the pub (star on the map). According to the Ordnance Survey map the only bridleway is virtually opposite the pub and leads east around what could also be quarry to the B2032 road, or south-west towards the quarry marked on OS map (see image). In the 'Vanished' documentary, the entrance to the bridleway (nearly opposite the pub) appears to be the location where they talk to Kay and Roxy.

I don't know exactly where the notes were found, I'm not even sure if the Police have revealed that information. As far as I know, the Police referred to the notes as "farewell" notes, rather than suicide notes, but is that because they weren't suicide notes, or because they want to be careful about how much information about them that they give?

The family and the Police being reluctant to give information or push for more investigation is very frustrating. I watched the documentary again on tv (available on STV catchup), and even that investigation was going on for seven years and they still thought Ruth was happy at home and assumed she was still on Box Hill. Suicide is least likely to me, it seems obviously staged. I just hope Ruth is safe and well somewhere.

Attachments

• Box Hill.jpg
    Box Hill.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 22
Given that Ruth got flowers delivered to her house in advance. I can't see why she would leave a note for her family in a quarry. Surely she would leave it in her own room or somewhere that people could find it after she had already gone. Was it ever actually verified that it was Ruth's handwriting ect ?

Given that Ruth got flowers delivered to her house in advance. I can't see why she would leave a note for her family in a quarry. Surely she would leave it in her own room or somewhere that people could find it after she had already gone. Was it ever actually verified that it was Ruth's handwriting ect ?
I believe the handwriting was verified as being hers, but the police have never stated the contents of the notes. I think you're right though. If her intention was suicide, she could have done it at home when everyone was out. If she wanted to go elsewhere to take her own life, then you'd expect the notes to either be on her person or left at home...in my view anyway.

The taxi driver specifically said he dropped Ruth at a bridleway near the pub (star on the map). According to the Ordnance Survey map the only bridleway is virtually opposite the pub and leads east around what could also be quarry to the B2032 road, or south-west towards the quarry marked on OS map (see image). In the 'Vanished' documentary, the entrance to the bridleway (nearly opposite the pub) appears to be the location where they talk to Kay and Roxy.

I don't know exactly where the notes were found, I'm not even sure if the Police have revealed that information. As far as I know, the Police referred to the notes as "farewell" notes, rather than suicide notes, but is that because they weren't suicide notes, or because they want to be careful about how much information about them that they give?

The family and the Police being reluctant to give information or push for more investigation is very frustrating. I watched the documentary again on tv (available on STV catchup), and even that investigation was going on for seven years and they still thought Ruth was happy at home and assumed she was still on Box Hill. Suicide is least likely to me, it seems obviously staged. I just hope Ruth is safe and well somewhere.
Thank you! It really helps seeing it on an OS map. What strikes me is the number of possible exit routes via the footpaths. Martin Bright stated in the article below that she used to go there a lot after school. She knows the area, knows the footpaths and would likely be able to navigate her way around after dark.

It's so frustrating that, compared to other missing person cases, this has received such little media attention. I know they have their reasons, but it's so frustrating that the family also don't seem to want to push for information, unless they know something we don't... (from the notes etc.).

Does anybody know which school Ruth attended by any chance? And what time the school day finished? Long shot I know...

Does anybody know which school Ruth attended by any chance? And what time the school day finished? Long shot I know...
She attended Ashcombe School, the main secondary school for that side of Dorking. But I do not think times are material. Whilst the school day would finish circa 3.30pm she was in the 6th form and these A level pupils often only need to attend if they have classes (and would not be missed/chased if missing for a single day). This was certainly true with my own daughter about 10 years later and also in Surrey.

She attended Ashcombe School, the main secondary school for that side of Dorking. But I do not think times are material. Whilst the school day would finish circa 3.30pm she was in the 6th form and these A level pupils often only need to attend if they have classes (and would not be missed/chased if missing for a single day). This was certainly true with my own daughter about 10 years later and also in Surrey.
Thanks for the info! I was wondering if, given that Ruth used to go to Box Hill regularly after school, this is why she waited until after 4pm to get the taxi up there - so, for example, did she used to meet someone up there regularly after she finished school around that time? Is that why she waited all day? I'm just brain storming ideas - as you say though, being in sixth form she likely finished at different times throughout the day anyway, so I may be way off the mark!

For anyone who hasn't seen this link, it's a great summary of the case along with bits of info I wasn't aware of. If anybody wants a read :)

MISSING: OPERATION SCHOLAR: RUTH WILSON
This is a really useful summary of the case and highlights a couple extra questions for me;

- She met her ex boyfriend Will Kennedy both nights before her disappearance, for dinner Saturday and then at his house Sunday. She travelled to a road with a pub on and the taxi driver reported her waiting by the road as though expecting someone. The pattern would point towards meeting Will. I wonder what his alibi was. I think Will would be a key person who is probably at least withholding some information.

- I also didnt realise that Levi Bellfield (serial killer) abducted Millie Dowler only 10miles away from this. If he did just so happen to be in that area, a young girl standing by the road in a rural area would be a sitting duck for him. He is suspected of many other murders in the 90s in the area. Levi has abducted other girls nearer to/ in London but 2 of the girls were abducted in Surrey (Hampton and Walton-on-Thames) so it's not a stretch that he might have been prowling further south.

For anyone who hasn't seen this link, it's a great summary of the case along with bits of info I wasn't aware of. If anybody wants a read :)

MISSING: OPERATION SCHOLAR: RUTH WILSON
It is fine as a summary but be aware of two things (mentioned on this thread before);
* Mark Williams Thomas is not a neutral observer. He is now a media personality with a a career to promote and he left Surrey Police under a cloud (and was charged with blackmail shortly after, and acquitted and has been subject to strong criticism by a judge in another case).
* There have been multiple case reviews over the years including the most recent by a Superintendent. Any errors would have been identified in that process.
Surrey police are far from perfect, but the extent of the initial search was unusual in both scope and methods (dogs, many men, heat seeking). I have never been able to reconcile the MWT version of events with the published details of events at the time.

It is fine as a summary but be aware of two things (mentioned on this thread before);
* Mark Williams Thomas is not a neutral observer. He is now a media personality with a a career to promote and he left Surrey Police under a cloud (and was charged with blackmail shortly after, and acquitted and has been subject to strong criticism by a judge in another case).
* There have been multiple case reviews over the years including the most recent by a Superintendent. Any errors would have been identified in that process.
Surrey police are far from perfect, but the extent of the initial search was unusual in both scope and methods (dogs, many men, heat seeking). I have never been able to reconcile the MWT version of events with the published details of events at the time.
Absolutely agree with the above. I have seen a few things MWT has presented before, and always tend to get the impression that the intention is less about actually solving a case and more about dramatising it. But I do think the link is quite well set out and just gives a summary for anybody wanting a general overview of the case.

This is a really useful summary of the case and highlights a couple extra questions for me;

- She met her ex boyfriend Will Kennedy both nights before her disappearance, for dinner Saturday and then at his house Sunday. She travelled to a road with a pub on and the taxi driver reported her waiting by the road as though expecting someone. The pattern would point towards meeting Will. I wonder what his alibi was. I think Will would be a key person who is probably at least withholding some information.

- I also didnt realise that Levi Bellfield (serial killer) abducted Millie Dowler only 10miles away from this. If he did just so happen to be in that area, a young girl standing by the road in a rural area would be a sitting duck for him. He is suspected of many other murders in the 90s in the area. Levi has abducted other girls nearer to/ in London but 2 of the girls were abducted in Surrey (Hampton and Walton-on-Thames) so it's not a stretch that he might have been prowling further south.
I do think these 2 points are still significant regardless of MWT integrity.

Obviously I am sure these things have already been looked into as much as possible by police ect.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back