TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
What possible defense could she mount? Jilted lovah? Snapped and accidentally went on the lam? Amnesia? Didn't know how she wound up on a beach in Costa Rica with someone else's nose on her face?

Yeah, I'm afraid she missed the whole point of yoga.

But no worries, she'll have plenty of time to grow her hair out. Like a lifetime. LWOP.

Horrible, senseless crime.

JMO
i am not sure what defense can be mounted, but I am certain that, with the high-powered attorney she has secured, she isn't about to plead guilty to anything. This trial will not be a slam dunk for the prosecution. Every piece of evidence, physical, forensic, or circumstantial, will be contested. Only two people know exactly what happened in that apartment that night, and one of them cannot talk. I am sure some story will be spun that could possibly place doubt in at least one juror's mind, and one juror is all it takes. And remember, she is being charged with capital murder, so even a conviction on a lesser charge will be something of a win. The prosecution had better come to trial prepared, because you can bet the defense will be.

i am not sure what defense can be mounted, but I am certain that, with the high-powered attorney she has secured, she isn't about to plead guilty to anything. This trial will not be a slam dunk for the prosecution. Every piece of evidence, physical, forensic, or circumstantial, will be contested. Only two people know exactly what happened in that apartment that night, and one of them cannot talk. I am sure some story will be spun that could possibly place doubt in at least one juror's mind, and one juror is all it takes. And remember, she is being charged with capital murder, so even a conviction on a lesser charge will be something of a win. The prosecution had better come to trial prepared, because you can bet the defense will be.
She has hired a VERY GOOD attorney. I was just reading that last year Rick Cofer managed to have 94% of his cases dismissed.

All very excellent questions, for sure. Look at KA - she is super attractive to many, I'm sure, and could "get" any man she wanted. I understand that perhaps she didn't go after CS instead, so as to torture him - now he can't have his younger woman anymore, and she can still have CS. Or maybe it wasn't planned to just kill Moriah. Maybe if both he and Mo had been in that house, they'd both be dead.

But really? You want to live with a guy who supposedly cheated on you, did lie to you about his whereabouts, and more? As you said, he will just do this again. Why was KA (or any woman in that situation) so connected that she wouldn't just say he's not worth it and move on? She had intelligence and looks, and past careers, not dependent on him.

What happened between the October fling and May? Did he go out of his way to insist Mo was out of his life and he'd never cheat again, period? Then again he said the Oct relationship was during a break. Maybe there was no break - all his words.
I don't believe for a second that CS had a one week relationship. By his own admission in the affidavit, Mo thought they were still dating at one point and texted CS how she was confused and did he just want to be friends, and how he had shown up with KA who was supposedly his ex. And he just gave a lame, pathetic, "That was of me" etc.

I don't know what made KA kill - many, many women get cheated on or are the victim of a misleading, lying , who's pretending to be single when he's really still in the relationship. And don't go kill the rival. So yoga girl's got some major screws loose. And then to have the balls to fly on a passport that isn't hers, get cosmetic surgery, already get a job teaching yoga... I mean, I haven't even gotten to my pile of laundry yet and girl's got a new face and a new job.

But - sometimes it's easier said than done to just move on from the guy who cheated and lied to you. To say he's not worth it and move on. People see it that way from the outside, but when you're it in and you still have feelings, it's hurt, anger, jealousy, rage, heartache. I don't even think it's about dependent on him or not. Or maybe it's that attachment anxiety and the way CS played her, it's almost like it created an addiction in her brain. When he pulled away, she went into withdrawal, needed him more, etc. I honestly think it can be chemical. CS made this so much worse by lying, deceiving, misleading. I do think that is such a mindf*ck and causes major emotional damage. I even think it can be a complex betrayal trauma. It impacts and deregulates the whole nervous system.

That said, I don't think that's any defense or excuse for murder. I think she's batshit and had no excuse to take a life. No matter what. I do think the way he played them both and was still lying to KA that day about where he was and who he was with - I think that triggered whatever led her to do that. But again, lots of women find out about a partner's betrayal and don't snap and then casually jet off to Costa Rica to become a yoga teacher at the beach.

I bet the defense attorneys are going to smear both CS and Mo for having a relationship. And I can see a female juror having some sympathy for KA if they go down the “he cheated and lied to her, they were having an affair” route.

I don't believe for a second that CS had a one week relationship. By his own admission in the affidavit, Mo thought they were still dating at one point and texted CS how she was confused and did he just want to be friends, and how he had shown up with KA who was supposedly his ex. And he just gave a lame, pathetic, "That was of me" etc.

I don't know what made KA kill - many, many women get cheated on or are the victim of a misleading, lying , who's pretending to be single when he's really still in the relationship. And don't go kill the rival. So yoga girl's got some major screws loose. And then to have the balls to fly on a passport that isn't hers, get cosmetic surgery, already get a job teaching yoga... I mean, I haven't even gotten to my pile of laundry yet and girl's got a new face and a new job.

But - sometimes it's easier said than done to just move on from the guy who cheated and lied to you. To say he's not worth it and move on. People see it that way from the outside, but when you're it in and you still have feelings, it's hurt, anger, jealousy, rage, heartache. I don't even think it's about dependent on him or not. Or maybe it's that attachment anxiety and the way CS played her, it's almost like it created an addiction in her brain. When he pulled away, she went into withdrawal, needed him more, etc. I honestly think it can be chemical. CS made this so much worse by lying, deceiving, misleading. I do think that is such a mindf*ck and causes major emotional damage. I even think it can be a complex betrayal trauma. It impacts and deregulates the whole nervous system.

That said, I don't think that's any defense or excuse for murder. I think she's batshit and had no excuse to take a life. No matter what. I do think the way he played them both and was still lying to KA that day about where he was and who he was with - I think that triggered whatever led her to do that. But again, lots of women find out about a partner's betrayal and don't snap and then casually jet off to Costa Rica to become a yoga teacher at the beach.
I agree. Betrayal trauma is real. But most normal people survive it without killing someone. And then all the things KA did AFTER the murder just tell me she is cold and calculated, and had no remorse for what she’d done.

I agree. Betrayal trauma is real. But most normal people survive it without killing someone. And then all the things KA did AFTER the murder just tell me she is cold and calculated, and had no remorse for what she’d done.
I know. Her actions to kill and then just jetting off and making concrete plans for a new life on the beach does seem like a sociopath.

I bet the defense attorneys are going to smear both CS and Mo for having a relationship. And I can see a female juror having some sympathy for KA if they go down the “he cheated and lied to her, they were having an affair” route.
But that would mean admitting she did it. They might simply challenge the prosecution's case, as per OJ Simpson...

I don't care about her nose job. We see nose and face jobs done on lots of people in show business, so who cares? She ruined so many lives, including her own...it really, doesn't matter.
I don't care about her nose work either. I do think it is significant on a legal level, in terms of her actions to try to hide her identity. But I am sad when anyone mutilates their body, for any reason.

I hope that KA is under suicide watch. I was surprised at how tiny/petite she is. I think she is a strong woman and has been functioning under a lot of adrenaline over the last month and a half, but once she crashes, which is probably now, she could be quite vulnerable.

I don't care about her nose work either. I do think it is significant on a legal level, in terms of her actions to try to hide her identity. But I am sad when anyone mutilates their body, for any reason.

I hope that KA is under suicide watch. I was surprised at how tiny/petite she is. I think she is a strong woman and has been functioning under a lot of adrenaline over the last month and a half, but once she crashes, which is probably now, she could be quite vulnerable.
She’s 5’8 tall, not exactly a petite woman, but very thin, yes. But it appears she has always maintained and thin and fit frame -even back in high school when she played sports. No doubt she’s running on adrenaline. You’d almost have to be after murdering someone and living on the run for 43 days. I don’t know if I would classify her as strong. She certainly didn’t display strength with her emotions when she followed Mo around and shot her multiple times, but she’s something alright. I hope they are watching her close as well.

Last edited:
Haven’t been able to locate her as an inmate at the Harris County Jail.
Maybe she’s still at the airport at the Federal Inspections office. Lol - I read that sign in the above tweeted photo where she’s on the moving sidewalk with the US Marshall’s. There is a sign to the above right. Wonder where she is?

Maybe she’s still at the airport at the Federal Inspections office. Lol - I read that sign in the above tweeted photo where she’s on the moving sidewalk with the US Marshall’s. There is a sign to the above right. Wonder where she is?
I think that’s customs and border inspections. I don’t think she’s there because we have the video of her walking out of the airport.

As was suggested on the previous thread, we only assume she had a nose job because of the supposed bandaged nose and bruising under the eyes, but it is possible that she had other work done as well. The receipt does not specify what was done. She may have had more Botox injections, eyelid lift, fillers, or other things. I think she was very pretty before, and really didn't need to do anything, but if the thought was just to alter her appearance to avoid detection, I suppose that was good enough reason. JMO
Looking at photos, I have to wonder whether this isn't the second time that her nose is surgically re-arranged.

May 11: 34 y.o. woman murdered 25 y.o. woman; appears to be jealousy
May 12: sister requested new driver licence day before murder suspect arrived in NY
May 13: suspect sold car, flew Austin to Houston, arrived in New York (visit sister)
May 13: stayed at campground 1-2 hours from airport
May 18: fraudulent passport to fly from New Jersey to San Jose, Costa Rica
May 19: Murder warrant
June 24: plastic surgery; nose job, botox, etc
July 2: arrested, deported/landed in Houston

She screwed up by giving a different name to police than the name on the passport she used to enter the country. There was no record of the name she gave to police at the hostel matching a name used to enter the country, so she was obligated under second questioning to provide the passport name she used to enter the country.

It's hard to figure out whether the USA contacted Costa Rica and asked whether a wannabe yoga instructor was loitering at hostels, or whether Costa Rican police acted independent of the USA when they discovered a foreigner without papers and then discovered that she is wanted for murder.

In the series of Twitter photos by the news agency ^^^, there is a PBS photo of KA in a TSA (or Costa Rican equivalent) line. To me, it seems odd that she's not surrounded by cops. There's one in the background, but they are definitely not all around.

Perhaps LE doesn't go through metal detectors because they carry weapons? And why would a prisoner be going through airport security? Let along the public version. They can't possibly have left anything on her that would fail at airport security. I wonder if LE wanted something ancillary, like a record of her eyes for facial recognition and one of those photos they can take that are instant xrays.

PS, I would be really cold in flip flops, and miserable in those cheapies being walked at the double by LE.

And, y'all who thought CR was a backwater with an unsophisticated LE and BOP infrastructure, look at that airport! US travelers would be so lucky!

Attachments

• FWtRyZ5WQAE8VKM.jpeg
    FWtRyZ5WQAE8VKM.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Looking at photos, I have to wonder whether this isn't the second time that her nose is surgically re-arranged.

May 11: 34 y.o. woman murdered 25 y.o. woman; appears to be jealousy
May 12: sister requested new driver licence day before murder suspect arrived in NY
May 13: suspect sold car, flew Austin to Houston, arrived in New York (visit sister)
May 13: stayed at campground 1-2 hours from airport
May 18: fraudulent passport to fly from New Jersey to San Jose, Costa Rica
May 19: Murder warrant
June 24: plastic surgery; nose job, botox, etc
July 2: arrested, deported/landed in Houston

She screwed up by giving a different name to police than the name on the passport she used to enter the country. There was no record of the name she gave to police at the hostel matching a name used to enter the country, so she was obligated under second questioning to provide the passport name she used to enter the country.

It's hard to figure out whether the USA contacted Costa Rica and asked whether a wannabe yoga instructor was loitering at hostels, or whether Costa Rican police acted independent of the USA when they discovered a foreigner without papers and then discovered that she is wanted for murder.
The US Marshal said she had been under surveillance, so there seems to have been some kind of cooperative attempt to gather evidence before they rounded her up.

@otto , are you saying KA might have had plastic surgery during the campground visit? Or more than once in CR?

I wonder if the LE has some compassion towards KA because many have daughters who used to date cr@@@y guys.

CS is in the center of attention, too. All we got as, of recently, from him was "f off". How does it look in the context of the woman who he was involved with, if platonically, but who was killed for it? How does it look if we think about the other woman, who lived with him, obviously, loved him, was lied to, and one day, "snapped" and used the gun he bought for her?

How does it look if we think about both families, of both women? They both are grieving about their daughters.

The journalists are merely doing their job. I want to thank them for throwing the light on this case and btw, in a very professional way, not pulling out salacious pieces. CS could have politely said, "sorry, no interviews till the court case is over".

He is alive, he is not going to have LWOP, he is listed as "former" cyclist on Wiki, but after all, he is 35, not too young for an elite athlete.

He is not dumb, he has an engineering professional, he has a life.

I am happy that KA is caught, but LE have all their media and texts. Maybe they want to give KA some time outside because she is going in for a long time? And much as a murder is a murder, I bet the way she saw the situation was very different from the reality.

If this young woman had the guts to find a good therapist to process what was going on, she'd be able to break her infatuation with CS and leave.

As to her bolting, she has other things hanging above her head, one of them would be her sister's passport... I think she is a low flight risk. JMO.
That's not the impression I have from reading news updates. My impression is that the suspect and her boyfriend had a bit of a break. During that time he met the 25 year old cyclist. When Wilson was in Austin for a competition, she called Strickland. They had a swim and a burger, he was on his way home to his 35 year old girlfriend before 9 PM.

The murder suspect was so paranoid and insecure that she electronically followed her boyfriend when he went out. It sounds like she went completely nuts the night her boyfriend spent 3 hours with a cyclist friend he connected with while they were separated.

I think it is questionable that he bought the gun that she used to murder, but perhaps he didn't understand how unstable she was. I don't know when he bought the gun for his girlfriend - was it before, or after, their relationship break?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa