Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I post this graphic periodically on a missing persons thread for my part of Southern Oregon that goes back nine years (Stephanie Warner). It seems appropriate in Kiely’s case. Of course it may be that no one knows anything and she just drove off the road. But I do hope there are clues that the party-goers can tell LE that will fill in the blanks so Kiely can be found.

1660241958735.jpeg

I am still leaning toward tragic accident and not found yet.

But one way for foul play to have occurred and her car to have also gone missing is if more than one person was involved. Let’s say she is getting ready to drive off and leave and two or more guys come up saying “Hey let one of us drive you home. You’re drunk and it’s not safe.” One gets in her car with her to “drive her home” while his friend(s) follow in a second car under the impression the guy driving her car will need his friends for a ride home after getting to her place. But instead they all take her somewhere else. Her car (and her body sadly) could be dumped somewhere far away.

This is all just a theory and I don’t even think it’s my #1 theory but just throwing it out there as some asked how she would be kidnapped in her own car.

Is there anything to be read into the fact that the link seems to classify this as a kidnapping, or is that standard for how the FBI shares flyers for a MP case?
From my understanding, from what other officials have said in the past, what they classify a case to be has more to do with the resources they want to have access to than what they actually believe happened.

"We are getting to the point where I don't know how to move forward without new information," said Nevada County Sheriff's Captain Sam Brown at public forum in Truckee Wednesday night. The video of the forum was shared on social media.
A photo from May 2022 of missing Truckee teen Kiely Rodni.  The teen is still missing six days after being at a party at Prosser Campground, just 10 miles outside of the mountain town.

"In this case we are focused on place last seen," said Brown. "When you talk about expansion, to send people on countless days and hours just to search anywhere for no cause, that is not a responsible thing to do."

About 70 people attended a teen and young adult meeting in nearby Tahoe City on Tuesday night. A similar meeting with young people is scheduled at Incline High School tonight.

Does anyone else's theory change from one moment to the next? I have been so convinced this was an accident and she would be found, but with no car being found after 6 days I am starting to doubt this. When I go down the rabbit hole of if not an accident, than what it gets messy and overwhelming. Please let today be the day this girls poor family gets answers.
The longer it takes for the car to be found, the more I lean towards KR accidentally driving into a body of water.

It would be really helpful to get clarification about the iPhone location/history.

"August 6, 8 a.m. - Kiely's Mother woke up not knowing where her daughter was. She checked Kiely's phone location and it stated her last location was at the Prosser Campground. She called Kiely's best friend who said she left the party early and was supposed to meet at a Starbucks to go camping at 9 a.m. Kiely's friends go to the Prosser Campground and did not find Kiely or her car."

At 8 am Kiely's mom used location services to find Kiely's phone, which showed the phone at Prosser Campground. This means location services on Kiely's phone was enabled and the phone was trackable, at least up until the party.

Question: (1) When mom used location services to track the phone at 8 am did the phone pop up at its CURRENT location? As in, the phone was at Prosser Campground at 8 am when mom looked for it?

OR - (2) Did the phone NOT appear when mom used location services and she had to go into location HISTORY to find it?

If (1), the phone was still at Prosser at 8 am. If (2) the phone location service was either deliberately turned off AT the campground leaving Prosser as its last trackable location, or the phone was smashed or submerged very, very near the campground.

*Note: Location services on iPhones works whether the phone is On or Off, even if the battery is dead. To disable it, you have to go into the settings.

IMO

Link to quoted text:

I’ve been a little hung up on the phone timeline. If I understand the timeline, it was around 11 PM that it would have been plugged in to be charged. I don’t know how long the charge was or how long that charge would have powered the phone for. But if the car could charge the phone properly, doesn’t that mean that she for some reason didn’t plug it in when she (presumably) departed the party? Otherwise it wouldn’t have lost power without someone manually turning it off.

Also, a potential theory I’ve not seen discussed: could the car battery have been drained enough during the time they were in the car to charge their phones to not allow her to turn the engine when she was ready to leave? If so, it opens up the possibility of someone giving a jump start and offering to follow her to make sure she didn’t have issues OR to offer a ride or makeshift tow somewhere.
That has crossed my mind too. Besides my seatbelt, one of the first things I do is plug in my phone. It's just habit at this point. Kiely's phone lost service roughly 3 minutes after hanging up with Sami if I recall correctly. So whatever happened, happened quickly. The battery died, it broke or was taken from her or in the water. If searches aren't showing that Kiely is in the water, foul play is looking like more and more the answer.

This is a new angle I haven't heard before and could be a possibility.! don't believe a quick charging of phones would deplete a car battery that quick, but ya never know. And depending on the phone, it may have not been a big boost in battery power. Some phones have a quick charge though.

Also, I still can't shake the abandoned truck in the mud missing its license plates. If I got my vehicle stuck in the mud my first inclination wouldn't be to remove the license plate. That just seems very odd to me.

JMO

"We are getting to the point where I don't know how to move forward without new information," said Nevada County Sheriff's Captain Sam Brown at public forum in Truckee Wednesday night. The video of the forum was shared on social media.
A photo from May 2022 of missing Truckee teen Kiely Rodni.  The teen is still missing six days after being at a party at Prosser Campground, just 10 miles outside of the mountain town.

"In this case we are focused on place last seen," said Brown. "When you talk about expansion, to send people on countless days and hours just to search anywhere for no cause, that is not a responsible thing to do."

About 70 people attended a teen and young adult meeting in nearby Tahoe City on Tuesday night. A similar meeting with young people is scheduled at Incline High School tonight.
So now 70 people were at this party? I thought it was between 200-300?

I don’t know what’s fact or fiction anymore.

Re: Cell Phone
I wasn’t sure what exactly was considered a ping, so after searching online and getting really confused, I realized the guy I sleep next to every night is Apple/Android certified. Duh!

Here are the circumstances that could cause a phone to not be located (dead, off, or other terminology used all mean the same thing…they cannot tell why from the data they have):

1. The phone was powered off manually
2. The phone battery died
3. Airplane mode was enabled (disabling cellular/WiFi/Bluetooth)
4. The phone was damaged/destroyed to the point it is no longer operable
5. The phone is in a location where there is absolutely no cell service or WiFi available.
6. Purposeful disruption of signal (signal jammer, etc.)

There are many articles on internet that will say your phone can be “tracked” in several of the above circumstances. You have to read deep into them to see, they are referring to the fact that your phone will track the location and store it internally until service restored. It will not transmit this information until there is some form of communication via cell signal, WiFi or Bluetooth.

Additionally, disabling location services only keeps apps and FindMy service from using the information. Cell carriers still ping the phone. This is to related to how they provide service from multiple towers, etc. The carrier is the only source of this information in this circumstance.

Sources for reference:
Gadgets Now
TechwithTech

I did live in Tahoe, and we called it the Donner Pass. Yes, it’s a paved highway, but it can still be sketchy to navigate especially during harsh conditions. The western approach is easier, but it still can be a dangerous road. Especially for an impaired young driver at night.

The weather in the Donner Summit/Donner Pass area is extreme. The average annual snowfall is nearly 400 inches (10 meters). That’s 33 feet, about as tall as a three-story house. This is one of the snowiest places in the contiguous states. During winter storms wind gusts over 100 miles (160 kilometers) an hour are common. Blowing snow can reduce visibility to zero. Sub-zero (Fahrenheit) (-17.8 C) temperatures are not uncommon.

*Note: Location services on iPhones works whether the phone is On or Off, even if the battery is dead. To disable it, you have to go into the settings.

Link to quoted text:

This is not correct. Once the phone battery is dead the phone operating system stops all functions and all services cease to work. Locations serivices will also not work if there is not connection or location services are turned off or the phone is turned off.

****Also of note in your personal setting in “battery saving” mode you can turn off location services to conserve power and then would also loose the location services of find my phone***. This could explain how she was charging the phone but not connected.

Since the boat ramp is less than 2-3 minutes from the party my Theory is the phone was dead, started to charge but then submerged in water before it had a chance to charge.

The location the phone last had connection will be reported.

[snipped for focus]

don't believe a quick charging of phones would deplete a car battery that quick, but ya never know. And depending on the phone, it may have not been a big boost in battery power. Some phones have a quick charge though.

JMO

Yeah, I didn’t want to write more than needed, but to expand on what I was thinking: most teenagers aren’t going to consider the car battery in their equation. If they need to stay in the car to charge the phone, they likely have radio, some air, and possibly interior lights on too. So the phone itself wouldn’t drain the car battery, but if you’re in there with an older car battery drawing a bunch of accessory power for an hour, it might be enough to dip the battery too low to turn the engine when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member