OH - Pike Co, 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jake said he picked her up that night and "just missed it." Then Angela had him correct it in a different article saying he had her at a different time. So 2 different days of picking her up are out there.

I don't think Angela liked Jake placing himself at the crime scene on the night of the murders.

Maybe someone has the 2 articles where it talks about these 2 different times she was picked up or with Jake etc....

Hanna Rhoden and Wagner shared custody of Sophia, who was supposed to be with her mom that fateful Friday evening, he said. But Wagner picked her up a day earlier than normal: "I reckon we missed it by just hours."
I have some time later today I am going to look through some old articles. I'll post if I come up with them!

Will Charlie Reader get a subpoena?? or has it been issued already?? TIA
We may not get a witness list before the trial but we will know a lot of witnesses from the subpoenas.
07/21/2022SUBPOENA ISSUED TO CHARLES CRAVEN GILLEY
07/21/2022SUBPOENA ISSUED TO PATRICIA HOWARD
08/16/2022SUBPOENAS ISSUED TO BRETT HATFIELD; SHAUN WATSON; LT ADAM BALL; DONALD STONE; LUKE RHODEN; TIM DICKERSON; JAMES MANLEY; APRIL MANLEY; DR. KESSLER, CORONER; EMMA MORGAN; CHIEF DEPUTY CORONER, KAREN LOOMAN, DO.O; BILLY MORGAN; BOBBY JO MANLEY; DR. CATHERINE FARINET; SA ED HUNTER; SA SHANE HANSHAW; SA GEORGE STALEY; SA TODD FORTNER; LT BRYAN WHITE; SAS JOSHUA DURST; KENNETH DICK, INV; SHERIFF TRACY EVANS Attorney: JUNK, PROSECUTING ATTORNEY, ROBERT

Last edited:
Wednesday, August 17th:
*Jury - Individual Voir Dire continues (Day 8) (@ 9am ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (37). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos.) and a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) – for *George Washington Wagner IV (27/now 30) (Jakes’ bro) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (11/28/18) with 8 counts aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count of 1st degree conspiracy, 4 counts of 1st degree aggravated burglary, 1 count of 5th degree unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts of 3rd degree evidence tampering, 1 count of 5th degree forgery, 1 count of 5th degree unauthorized use of computer or telecommunications, 1 count of 4th degree interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count of 5th degree obstructing justice, & 1 count of 1st degree engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek the DP. Per Jake’s plea agreement, DP is off the table if his testimony is truthful.
Trial set to begin on 8/29/22 (maybe!) with general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence, etc. (Trial is scheduled for 30 days).
8/15/22 through 8/19/22 - each day beginning at 9am - individual voir dire.
8/29/22 at 9am – (maybe!) beginning of trial, including general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence & so forth. The jury trial is scheduled for 30 days. 37 death qualified jurors seated as of 8/15/22.

Crime info & court hearings from 11/28/18 thru 7/27/22 including Jury Questionnaires (Day 1-3) 7/5 thru 7/7/22 & Jury Questionnaire Completion (Day 1-3) 7/12 to 7/14/22 & 8/1/22 to 8/5/22 & Jury Voir Dire (Day 1-6) 8/8 to 8/15/22 reference post #844 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-69.623311/page-43

8/16/22: Subpoenas issued to Brett Hatfield, Shaun Watson, Lt. Adam Ball, Donald Stone, Luke Rhoden, Tim Dickerston, James Manley, April Manley, Dr. Kessler, Coroner, Emma Morgan, Chief Deputy Coroner Karen Looman, Do_O, Billy Morgan, Bobby Jo Manley, Dr. Catherine Farinet, SA Ed Hunter, SA Shane Hanshaw, SA George Staley, SA Todd Fortner, Lt. Bryan White, SAS Joshua Durst, Kenneth Dick, Inv, Sheriff Tracy Evans & attorney Robert Junk.
8/16/22 Tuesday, Jury Voir Dire Day 7: Jury voir dire continues on 8/17/22.

*George Washington Wagner III (47/now 51)Last pretrial hearing on 2/1/22.
*Edward Jacob “Jake” Wagner (26/now 29) – Plead guilty (4/22/21) to all charges & will be sentenced to 8 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole & will testify in the trials.
*Angela Jo Wagner (48/now 51) – 9/10/21: Plead guilty to a plea deal to Counts 9 thru 22, Counts 1-8 were dismissed. Will be sentenced to 30 years in prison with no early release & has to testify against others at trial.
*Rita Jo Newcomb (65/now 69) – Last Motions hearing on 12/2/19 entered a plea of guilty. Expected to testify in the trials.
*Fredericka Carol Wagner (76/now 80) – 6/26/19 Charges were
dismissed without prejudice.

I recall hearing/seeing something about it being a full moon that night. I just looked it up and April 22nd 2016 was a full moon. Weather that is a reason it happened that night I don't know, but it would provide the most light assuming it was a clear night. Maybe they wanted the moonlight so not to use flashlights?
Yes, it was a full moon that night and a very clear sky. We were outside late that night and talking about how bright it was out there and kinda warm too. We slept that night with the windows open.

Last edited:

From video

Canepa says:

She (Angela) speaks vividly of recalling speaking to Jake and George and asking if they were sure they wanted to go through with this.

Just more evidence of George's direct involvement that lays waste to his and Jake's claim that George tried to talk them out of it.

And this article expands on George's involvement further as expressed by Angie, showing George voted for the murders.

Prosecutors lay out possible new evidence in …

Prosecutors pointed to votes taken by the family as another example of its solidarity. Canepa said the family members took a vote on the murders themselves. She said mom Angela Wagner told investigators about it when she pleaded guilty to conspiracy, evidence tampering, burglary and other charges last year.

"She speaks vividly of recalling speaking to Jake and George and asking if they were sure they wanted to go through with this, to which they both said 'yes,'" Canepa said.

So Jake and George can say all they want about George trying to talk them out of it and not planning to go along until the last minute to protect Jake from Billy, but Angela makes it clear that from the beginning George was all in for the murders to happen.

Also, if George had never planned to go along why would Angela buy shoes for him that April, just weeks before the murders? She would only have bought shoes for Jake if George had not planned to go along. So as late as April George planned to go along is how it looks to me.

Also George buying and I think it was said, modifying, the truck for that night, shows to me that George had planned to go all along. Jake said he and George were sitting in the truck when Billy went up to Chris's door.

Last edited:
I have some time later today I am going to look through some old articles. I'll post if I come up with them!

These are the 2 articles where the quotes come from but they are behind pay walls now.

Pike County: Death in the foothills
CHRIS GRAVES | CINCINNATI ENQUIRER
Updated 2:42 p.m. EST Nov. 13, 2018

Correction: An earlier version of this article incorrectly reported when Hanna Rhoden's daughter went to stay with her father, Jake Wagner. Rhoden dropped her daughter off on Friday, April 15, 2016.

Rhoden case: 'Hate seeing my daughter cry'
Chris Graves, cgraves@enquirer.comPublished 8:37 a.m. ET July 29, 2016 | Updated 12:53 p.m. ET July 29, 2016

Hanna Rhoden and Wagner shared custody of Sophia, who was supposed to be with her mom that fateful Thursday evening, he said. But Wagner picked her up a day earlier than normal: "I reckon we missed it by just hours."

Am, I the only one thinking we will not see G4 on the stand.
HA!

I will bet you that his attorneys would never allow it, would talk him out of it if he wanted to get up there. The prosecution would have a field day raking his testimony over the coals!!!!

Plus he has anger issues and the defense would freak out if the prosecution brought out his temper on the stand. And his arrogance, and having no remorse etc....

She was charged with lying about where she bought the vests. She said she bought them on Amazon and actually bought them on Ebay, problem is she never produced the receipts til months later so she was charged for lying. She did not give them receipts for when or where she had bought them after she had said she would.
She said she bought them on Amazon and actually bought them on Ebay,

I think that could be forgiven considering her age. Many times I have forgotten where I bought something. I don't think it makes any difference where she bought them anyway. Point is she bought them after the murders and did eventually produce receipts proving that.

For now, in my mind, she is a victim.

JMO

They drove up to CRsr on the night of the murders on their bought modified truck so I am not sure they were worried about moonlight, flashlights or any of those things. I do not think it has been said if they drove up to the other scenes for sure. They got access to CRsr that way per JW proffer, I believe. Do you think they actually broke into the other homes? I know they entered illegally either way, but I am not sure how they got in. I kind of think with keys thy took from CRsr to get in FR and DR.
I think FR's son let them in there. He knew JW and was on the couch in the living room. JW could have called out to him and asked him to unlock the door. Dana's house, I don't know.

JMO

Thursday, August 18th:
*Jury - Individual Voir Dire continues (Day 9) (@ 9am ET) - OH - Pike County 8 people dead: Christopher Rhoden, Sr. (40), his ex-wife, Dana Manley Rhoden (37), their three children, Clarence "Frankie" Rhoden (20), Christopher Jr. (16), Hanna Mae (19); Frankie's fiancée, Hannah Hazel Gilley (20), Christopher Rhoden Sr.'s brother, Kenneth Rhoden (44), & a cousin, Gary Rhoden (37). Hanna Rhoden's baby girl (5 days old), another baby (6 mos.) and a young child (3) were unharmed. (April 21-22, 2016, Pebbles) – for *George Washington Wagner IV (27/now 30) (Jakes’ bro) indicted (11/12/18), arrested (11/13/18), charged (11/15/18) & arraigned (11/28/18) with 8 counts aggravated murder, (plus gun specifications on each), 1 count of 1st degree conspiracy, 4 counts of 1st degree aggravated burglary, 1 count of 5th degree unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance, 3 counts of 3rd degree evidence tampering, 1 count of 5th degree forgery, 1 count of 5th degree unauthorized use of computer or telecommunications, 1 count of 4th degree interception of wire, oral or electronic communication, 1 count of 5th degree obstructing justice, & 1 count of 1st degree engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek the DP. Per Jake’s plea agreement, DP is off the table if his testimony is truthful.
Trial set to begin on 8/29/22 (maybe!) with general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence, etc. (Trial is scheduled for 30 days).
8/15/22 through 8/19/22
- each day beginning at 9am - individual voir dire.
8/29/22 at 9am – (maybe!) beginning of trial, including general voir dire for the jury, opening statements, evidence & so forth. The jury trial is scheduled for 30 days. 37 death qualified jurors seated as of 8/15/22.

Crime info & court hearings from 11/28/18 thru 7/27/22 including Jury Questionnaires (Day 1-3) 7/5 thru 7/7/22 & Jury Questionnaire Completion (Day 1-3) 7/12 to 7/14/22 & 8/1/22 to 8/5/22 & Jury Voir Dire (Day 1-7) 8/8 to 8/16/22 reference post #884 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bers-wagner-family-arrested-69.623311/page-45

8/17/22 Wednesday, Jury Voir Dire Day 8: No info available. Jury voir dire continues on 8/18/22.
*George Washington Wagner III (47/now 51)Last pretrial hearing on 2/1/22.
*Edward Jacob “Jake” Wagner (26/now 29) – Plead guilty (4/22/21) to all charges & will be sentenced to 8 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole & will testify in the trials.
*Angela Jo Wagner (48/now 51) – 9/10/21: Plead guilty to a plea deal to Counts 9 thru 22, Counts 1-8 were dismissed. Will be sentenced to 30 years in prison with no early release & has to testify against others at trial.
*Rita Jo Newcomb (65/now 69) – Last Motions hearing on 12/2/19 entered a plea of guilty. Expected to testify in the trials.
*Fredericka Carol Wagner (76/now 80) – 6/26/19 Charges were dismissed without prejudice.

He would want to kill JW to make it look like he was the only killer, it would take suspicion off of them. It would make perfect sense to me if it happened to be true, which is doubtful. Would still not excuse G4 participation.
Three guns were used at the murder/s but that does not mean that 3 were going to be or supposed to be used when they were planning, if things had gone to plan. Once things went south at CRsr, if there had been another plan it went away fast.
Why would he kill JW later?
The whol÷ concept just does not pass the smell test. Billy has no rational advantage to killing Jake. If anything it would point considerable scrutiny on g3 and Wagner. Remember the plan was to make it look cartel related. Also it's Jake and Angela who are pushing these murders under this concept it would be Billy who wanted to ki)l and then use Jake as a patsy. If Jake thought g3 would kill him why involve him in first place.. so g3 has a problem w crsr. And to solve it he kills 8 pp. And murders his own sonl to frame Jake? Nonsense.This whole
Situation is laughable. After blaming everything on g3 at g4 trial and saying g4 was under duress g3 will in turn claim insanity/diminished capacity. Billy killing Jake and g4s need to stop it. Now g4 thinks he's a hero.

idea Billy would murder his son story is bs . They are pushing everything onto g3 who will probly claim insanity defense. It's all

The whol÷ concept just does not pass the smell test. Billy has no rational advantage to killing Jake. If anything it would point considerable scrutiny on g3 and Wagner. Remember the plan was to make it look cartel related. Also it's Jake and Angela who are pushing these murders under this concept it would be Billy who wanted to ki)l and then use Jake as a patsy. If Jake thought g3 would kill him why involve him in first place.. so g3 has a problem w crsr. And to solve it he kills 8 pp. And murders his own sonl to frame Jake? Nonsense.This whole
Situation is laughable. After blaming everything on g3 at g4 trial and saying g4 was under duress g3 will in turn claim insanity/diminished capacity. Billy killing Jake and g4s need to stop it. Now g4 thinks he's a hero.

idea Billy would murder his son story is bs . They are pushing everything onto g3 who will probly claim insanity defense. It's all
JW is the one that said it in his proffer. I did not know they were trying to make it look cartel related. They seemed to have done a bad job at that if so. I think CRsr was not the only target. I believe HR would be the main target out of all of them but others were targets also.
I think BW is ruthless, as are all of them, so to kill one of them may not be that much of a stretch. He may be trying to think of how to get rid of JW since his confession.
JW is trying to help G4 by saying those things but if he really had wanted to help him he would not have put him at the scene at all, must not have thought his confession through well enough.

JMO...It wouldnt be surprised if the doors were unlocked and they walked in at FRs and DRs places. It's another topic Ihope eventually gets in the public.
It's possible, but I would think they would need a backup plan just in case the doors were not unlocked. Yes, we will find out in trial I hope, one thing I have always wondered about.

Last edited:
MO and Just wondering about the logic. What was the plan?

Killing Jake. Does that mean Billy killing Jake at the UHR scene? Leaving his body there. Or moving it?
Or G4 has to kill Bill to stop him from killing Jake.
It would be very difficult to move Billy’s body from the scene. He is big.
Wouldn't that, a body, or a missing Wagner, point to the Wagner family involvement in some way? Not a genius move.
So, G4 needs to explain how all of this could logically play out.
Makes no sense at al, regardless, if Billy would kill Jake or if G4 would have to kill Billy to stop Billy from killing Jake.

So, in this scenario if Billy kills Jake or if G4 kills Billy, and then they somehow cart the body away, wouldn’t there be some evidence left behind?
What would they do with a Wagner body?
What would the explanation for “disappearance“ be?

They could have continued their kill Jake, or kill Billy plan elsewhere if it was real. Maybe in Alaska.
Weren’t they afraid of each other afterwards?

Since we know the Wagners planned it all out so carefully, what was the plan for this possibility?
If there is a trial, and this is G4 defense strategy, we should hear all about it, and I can’t wait for the details.

Yes, it was a full moon that night and a very clear sky. We were outside late that night and talking about how bright it was out there and kinda warm too. We slept that night with the windows open.
Wasn’t it also the first day of Turkey Hunting season?
Maybe distant gun fire heard in the morning would be mostly ignored as it could have been thought to be Turkey Hunters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname