Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher, 34, Abducted While Jogging, Memphis, 2022 *arrest* #5

The fact that they had the DNA from the prior rape, indicates she DID intend to press charges, and had a rape kit performed.

I don't know how to explain that they didn't show a match, and have charges pressed at the time. I think we'll know more about why that was in the months to come.
From Eliza Fletcher's alleged killer investigated in 2021 for rape

“The second person provided more specific details about the investigation, asserting that the 2021 rape victim provided police with Abston’s phone number, his social media handle, his home address and a description of his car.

But when police did a photo lineup, the victim grew confused.

“She said, ‘I think it’s number five. But he didn’t have dreadlocks.’ So, (the detectives) said, ‘Note to file: Get a more recent photo.’ And they never did,’’ the person said.

“They dropped it.’’

“The second person provided more specific details about the investigation, asserting that the 2021 rape victim provided police with Abston’s phone number, his social media handle, his home address and a description of his car.

“She said, ‘I think it’s number five. But he didn’t have dreadlocks.’ So, (the detectives) said, ‘Note to file: Get a more recent photo.’ And they never did,’’ the person said.

“They dropped it.’’
Omg!!

I agree with your reasons, but will add - her families name probably helped as well. The number of agencies involved was pretty phenomenal, you just don't see such a quick response, searches, or resolution that often. I'll leave it there ...
I would believe some favors were called in. Unfortunately sometimes it’s who you know.

“They dropped it.’’
OMG! She was able to give so much specific information that even with the photo lineup confusion one would think they would have brought CA-H in for questioning at the least. Conduct a live lineup! I live near Memphis and am very well aware of the crime issue but we just cannot accept being too busy to conduct a proper and timely investigation.

Unfortunately, I’m afraid this happens more often than we’re aware of (or want to admit). I’m sure every state in the country has at least one monster who is living the life AH was a week or so ago. Free to do as they please knowing the atrocities they’ve committed, unbeknownst to almost everyone.

A truly frightening thought.

I hope that if he does have other victims they have the courage to come forward.

Updated article 12/2/2021

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) received a grant Thursday of more than $975-thousand from the New York District Attorney’s (DANY) Sexual Assault Kit Backlog Elimination Program.

And, per report linked below

$3.9 million federal funding was received by City of Memphis Sept 2015

$1.07 million grant received by City of Memphis Oct 2017

And there was a $49 million House appropriations pkg for SAKI

So, how much did Memphis and TBI receive from 2015 to 2021 to get caught-up but then let this happen?? It's 2022.

ETA: I have no doubt that Memphis is not alone in rape kit processing. Many US cities have same problem.

This is just heartbreaking.

Last edited:

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) received a grant Thursday of more than $975-thousand from the New York District Attorney’s (DANY) Sexual Assault Kit Backlog Elimination Program.

So, how much did Memphis and TBI receive from 2015 to 2021 to get caught-up but then let this happen?? It's 2022.

ETA: I have no doubt that Memphis is not alone in rape kit processing. Many US cities have same problem.

the more information that comes out, the more infuriated i become...

“They dropped it.’’
@$&#%!!!! THIS makes me angry. Rape is not something to be “dropped”. I had the unfortunate experience of rape in my younger years. I know of at least one other victim of my attacker. We were told to drop it because “it was a misunderstanding, he’s young”. In 2004 it was unacceptable. In 2021/2022 it should be NON EXISTENT! EVERY report should be FULLY investigated, especially when a full report is given!! No excuses! Liza would possibly be alive today if they hadn’t dropped that case. I’m just….livid!

To add to it, DNA tests are becoming cheaper and cheaper. Checked: commercial autosomal kit costs about $120. You multiply it by 1000, it makes way less than 4 million. Probably, rape kits from police in bulk cost less.

@$&#%!!!! THIS makes me angry. Rape is not something to be “dropped”. I had the unfortunate experience of rape in my younger years. I know of at least one other victim of my attacker. We were told to drop it because “it was a misunderstanding, he’s young”. In 2004 it was unacceptable. In 2021/2022 it should be NON EXISTENT! EVERY report should be FULLY investigated, especially when a full report is given!! No excuses! Liza would possibly be alive today if they hadn’t dropped that case. I’m just….livid!
I’m so so so sorry. And I agree completely.

The theft was decriminalized in CA. The personal crime in the U.S. cost more than $3 trillion annually and rape will be decriminalized too. This is the EF's lesson: we don't have resources to keep population safe, and if you are not well connected - your case will be "dropped".

In one of prior posts, I said about the need to look at the mileage of his car, seeing that, given reports of his female neighbors about him creepily sexually proposing to them, he is a cross-racial predator. I thought there would be prior murders and that he was like Green River killer.

And now there is another woman abducted between Durand and EF. Raped.

How do we know that Eliza was his first murder?

There might be some seasonality in his crime pattern - maybe late summer/early autumn would make him more violent. Or perhaps, there will be some other victims disappearing in TN between that woman assaulted in 2021 and EF? They don’t talk because they are dead. I have a feeling there should be more.

He definitely uses the same approach, to abduct at gun point. It is horrible to post, but maybe there is similarity between the type of attack on that woman and what can be said about Eliza given the state of the body (e.g., was he choking that woman he raped, something else?). It would be important to see how he approached Durand and that victim, and then Eliza?

I wonder if there will be more murders found. This man is incredibly dangerous.

Last edited:
I’d almost be willing to bet he had victims even while incarcerated. His first victim was a male so I don’t think being locked up with only males would have stopped him. Terrifying to think about really. I wonder if his prison disciplinary records will come to light eventually.

If he assaulted sexually anyone at prison, it would also be important to collect the information about approach, etc. Such predators have their own obsessive handwriting.

I agree with your reasons, but will add - her families name probably helped as well. The number of agencies involved was pretty phenomenal, you just don't see such a quick response, searches, or resolution that often. I'll leave it there ...

And now death of Eliza has saved many other women from a violent rapist, abductor and killer.

But - I have to say it. Whoever was dealing with that rape case of 2021 completely dropped the ball. They had his photo. Not too difficult for LE to see that he spent 20 years in jail, and for what type of crime. Victim impact statement was there. Durand’s abduction was there. Not too difficult, being in LE’s shoes, to connect the dots and see where this man was going. One abduction at gunpoint, driving the man to different ATMs to withdraw money. 21 year later, after prison, abducting a woman at gunpoint and rape. This is not a mere ex-convict. This is recidivism.

Mr. Durand was not a regular lawyer. He was Yale-educated, he dedicated his body to science. He was logical, and apparently, he was willing to give another man in that case a chance. If he saw something especially dangerous in CA/CH, and spoke about it, and was believed, it was for a reason.

So I understand, there might be many rapes, murders, burglaries happening in Memphis. But that woman’s abduction and rape in 2021, with information about CH being there, was not a mere red flag, it was writing on the wall. They should have prioritized processing her rape kit. I am very upset, too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jlop
Back