Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher, 34, Abducted While Jogging, Memphis, 2022 *arrest* #5

Zach H Curlin is only 3.9 miles from Oliver Avenue. CAH has a comfort zone he operates in. I wonder if additional victims are going to start coming forward?

Last edited:
Perhaps Eliza's case will lead to a national task force/Blue Ribbon Committee or the likes, to look at the issue across the country and see how rape charges and rape kits are handled and make it a priority, perhaps federal money involved, to process rape kits more efficiently in order to protect women and communities across the country.

I doubt this is only a problem in TN, although it may be that TN tops the list once the data is made available. Congress could take this up, or state legislatures in the meantime.
I believe change begins locally in communities that are fed up and make it clear to their local politicians that they just won't accept the status quo. City budgets are determined individually and separately from federal budgets. The problem with federal money is that it is usually fungible meaning that the feds can "suggest" it be used for one thing but city administrators can turn around and use it for something else. Local citizens should make it known that crime prevention and LE should receive funding that protects the citizens, but in many US cities lately the opposite has occurred. Nothing will change unless individuals demand it of their local politicians.

A TBI spokesperson confirmed the agency received the sexual assault kit September 23, 2021, but the evidence was placed in a "queue of unknown assailant kits, as no request was made for TBI analysis to be expedited, and no suspect information or DNA standard was included in the submission."

The kit was eventually pulled from evidence storage, according to TBI, along with 19 other kits on June 24 and the first results were received August 29. When the 2021 DNA was entered into a national database, it returned a match for Henderson and TBI reported this to MPD.

Henderson's kit was one of 316 submitted to TBI from all Shelby County law enforcement agencies, which was the most of any county in Tennessee. Knox County was in second with 168 kits. A TBI spokesperson further elaborated on the workload the Jackson Crime Lab faces, with a small staff.

"The Jackson Crime Lab's average turnaround times for SAKs (sexual assault kits) ranged from approximately 33 weeks to 49 weeks between September 2021 and August 2022," the statement read. "The length of time to work these cases is attributed to the workload of the four scientists assigned to this unit. These forensic scientists work every biological evidence submission, ranging from homicides to SAKs, to robberies, assaults, and break-ins."

In 2021, those categories totaled 602 evidence submissions. TBI will rush DNA tests when requested by local law enforcement agencies, which they did for Fletcher's abduction, but MPD did not ask for the 2021 sexual assault kit to be rushed.

TBI has one crime lab in West Tennessee, the Jackson Crime Lab. TBI has a field office in Memphis, but it doesn't include a lab for testing evidence.

I like this reporter, by the way. He actually investigates and isn't just reporting canned news!
Lucas Finton-covers breaking news for The Commercial Appeal.

Thank you—that definitely clarifies things.

I am shocked and speechless on one hand and totally not surprised on the other. I am grateful the 2021 victim was not killed at least but Liza absolutely did not have to die to get this predator off the streets.

Looks like Jennifer Case, attorney for CA-H, has extensive experience in the Office of the Public Defender of Shelby County, as she is listed as a supervisor in major cases.

She may appear to be young, as OP mentioned above, but she has been a practicing attorney for many years, taking the bar exam probably just after graduation from the Law School at the University of Memphis about 18 years ago or thereabouts.

Replying to
@LucasFinton
Great work Lucas, thank you. Do we know if Henderson was named in the victim’s initial report to police in 2021?

Lucas Finton@LucasFinton
We have requests out for two incident reports from September 21. But, as it’s still the weekend, those are not likely to be available until sometime next week. When those are available, we will have further coverage. Thanks for reading and supporting local journalism!

Looks like Jennifer Case, attorney for CA-H, has extensive experience in the Office of the Public Defender of Shelby County, as she is listed as a supervisor in major cases.

She may appear to be young, as OP mentioned above, but she has been a practicing attorney for many years, taking the bar exam probably just after graduation from the Law School at the University of Memphis about 18 years ago or thereabouts.
With all the evidence in the case how do you possibly defend this? I don't see any way this case goes to trial. He can't argue insanity..

I believe change begins locally in communities that are fed up and make it clear to their local politicians that they just won't accept the status quo. City budgets are determined individually and separately from federal budgets. The problem with federal money is that it is usually fungible meaning that the feds can "suggest" it be used for one thing but city administrators can turn around and use it for something else. Local citizens should make it known that crime prevention and LE should receive funding that protects the citizens, but in many US cities lately the opposite has occurred. Nothing will change unless individuals demand it of their local politicians.

There's lots of "pork" in the federal budget that includes block grants. Citizens can lobby their congressional leaders, working with their local communities, to secure block grants that address issues that are important to them. Local, state, and congressional elected officials all need to work together on this. JMO.

Last edited:

If this becomes a capital case, is she DP certified?

Interesting maybe. ETA: It's not as if they didn't know a backlog existed for YEARS!

Aug 2022

From an Atlantic article published three years ago...An Epidemic of Disbelief

Meaghan Ybos calls the SAKI program “a big charade.” Ybos was raped in her family’s home in 2003, when she was 16. The Memphis police shelved her rape kit for nine years. In the meantime, five other women and a 12-year-old girl were raped by the same man. When Ybos discovered, in 2012, that her kit had never been tested, she began a public fight with the city, talking to reporters, questioning officials at public hearings, and finally suing the city in 2014. The Memphis police admitted to having 2,000 untested kits, a number they later raised to more than 12,000. Still, SAKI officials and women’s-advocacy groups have praised Memphis: With the $4.5 million the city received from the SAKI program, it has sent all its kits for testing, and according to numbers submitted to the Justice Department, it has opened more than 1,000 new investigations, and won more than two dozen convictions or guilty pleas—more than most other SAKI grantees. Ybos counters that city officials for years misled the public about untested kits and continue to fight victims seeking compensation. The funding and praise Memphis has received—“that could be seen as rewarding the worst actors,” she says.

In Christ Alone - written by
Keith Getty / Stuart Townend

In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid Ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand.
In Christ alone! - who took on flesh,
Fullness of God in helpless babe.
This gift of love and righteousness,
Scorned by the ones He came to save
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live.
There in the ground His body lay,
Light of the world by darkness slain:
Then bursting forth in glorious day
Up from the grave He rose again
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ
No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me
From life's first cry to final breath,
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand
Till He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.

Such a beautiful and touching song. Rest in Paradise sweet Eliza.
What a hymn to end with

Per this, they were shipping 400-500 kits per month to the lab.

2014 Memphis - Eliminating the SA Kit Backlog

Q: How long will it take to get through all of the kits in the backlog?
A: The Memphis Police Department is assembling and shipping between 400 and 500 kits per month to TBI certified laboratories. We will not eliminate the backlog overnight but with this pace we will make steady, sustainable progress. To be clear however, testing is just the first step. There will considerable resource and manpower requirements required to support victims through this process, and to investigate leads and build cases for prosecution. While testing can be completed in the next two years, investigation and eventual prosecution will take several years more.

Q: What role does Shelby County Dist. Atty. Gen. Amy Weirich’s Office have in addressing these sexual assault cases?
A: Members of the office’s Special Victims Unit (SVU) are devoted to prosecuting sex offenders, including those cases in which the victims are children, adults and vulnerable adults. Six prosecutors regularly receive and review these cases as they are presented to them by Memphis Police Department investigators. In addition, the District Attorney is fully committed to utilizing the full resources of the office - which includes 109 prosecuting attorneys - to ensure that justice is served for the victims and for all of the citizens of Shelby County.

Q: Can a rapist be indicted even if he or she is unidentified?
A: Yes. If a DNA profile is developed from semen, saliva or other material collected at the crime scene, a Jane or John Doe indictment can be obtained by using the suspect’s DNA profile depicted by a long series of numbers and letters. This also stops the statute of limitations from becoming a problem. The profile, meanwhile, is parked in CODIS where it may later match a known subject profile.

In Christ Alone - written by
Keith Getty / Stuart Townend

In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid Ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand.
In Christ alone! - who took on flesh,
Fullness of God in helpless babe.
This gift of love and righteousness,
Scorned by the ones He came to save
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live.
There in the ground His body lay,
Light of the world by darkness slain:
Then bursting forth in glorious day
Up from the grave He rose again
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ
No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me
From life's first cry to final breath,
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand
Till He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.

Such a beautiful and touching song. Rest in Paradise sweet Eliza.
A favorite of mine. May she rest in peace and rise in glory!

The death penalty can't be carried out quickly for lots of reasons, many due to the extensive review that is required before the state is entitled to take a person's life. Also, in most states, the drugs that are required for the execution are not available, as drug companies don't want to provide them and be associated with state executions. Some states have brought back firing squads in order to continue with their executions.

It's complicated.
It is complicated. And I know all that. I understand how the system currently works. Currently. A complete overhaul of the system should be examined -- and let's start with the tiny percentage of people whose lives are constant violence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whimzee
Back