Found Deceased NC - Devin Clark, 18, Lyric Woods, 14, found murdered after going missing in Alamance Co., 16 Sep 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the timeline!!!

I don’t know why some news sources are reporting that an Amber Alert was issued. When I read that, I went back through my phone to make sure that I hadn’t missed it.

I’m not doubting a witness statement, but trying to understand how someone could see someone in a vehicle in the middle of the night? Was the vehicle at a convenience store or something? I live out in the country, much like the layout of this area where Lyric lives and was found, and if I saw a car pass by my house at 3am (say, I was letting my dog out - no other reason for me to be outside at that hour) I wouldn’t be able to see who was in the vehicle unless wherever I was was well lit and I was right up on it.

I will just add that as a senior I am up sometimes at 1:00, 2:00, or 3:00, I start falling asleep about 8:00. I get up make coffee, I don’t smoke in the house, so I go outside to smoke. I turn off the porch light and sit in the dark. With that I can see just fine, truth be told I see better in the dark. Sounds that are made are louder in the night when most are asleep. It was clear that nite, the moon was waning it was at 63% .

Had a friend that lived in Arizona few yrs ago, rural/desert, he could tell you who was coming down the dirt rd from 2-3 miles out from the sounds. Said Tacoma trucks were the best.

Jmo

Last edited:
Who ever it is had about a day and a half to get out of town.

Jmo

Agree. But how does a 17 yr old manage to disappear? Possibly he has a family/group who is helping him evade police? It typically takes weeks or more of planning for someone to disappear. I don’t get the impression this crime was planned in advance. But I guess anything is possible!

Looking at maps Efland, between richmond rd and redman crossing rd on 70 there is traffic stopped. Nothing to indicate why.

Curious

Eta cleared now.

Agree. But how does a 17 yr old manage to disappear? Possibly he has a family/group who is helping him evade police? It typically takes weeks or more of planning for someone to disappear. I don’t get the impression this crime was planned in advance. But I guess anything is possible!

Limited Learner's Permit - Level 1

A person at least age 15 and under age 18 may obtain a limited learner's permit if the person has passed a driver education course and a written test administered by DMV.

Limited Learner's Permit - Level 1

A person at least age 15 and under age 18 may obtain a limited learner's permit if the person has passed a driver education course and a written test administered by DMV.

Sure, the suspect could drive away. But he could be tracked via cell phone, bank card, etc. It’s possible the suspect could cover his tracks with a day or two of planning. And if he is on the run, he could get pretty far because there’s no BOLO and no physical description. This is puzzling. If they know where he is, I imagine they would take him into custody. If law enforcement doesn’t know the suspect’s whereabouts, there must be little concern for public safety. Just my opinion.

I’m using male pronouns when referencing the suspect, as that is what I have seen in the media reports. Official statement from OCSO does not indicate gender.

This area is a few hours drive from Atlanta, DC and a few more hours to NYC. I do feel like the suspect is much closer, though.

I still don’t know why they haven released a description of the car, if the suspect is the one driving the car. So far we have to be on the lookout for a 17 year old. It’s only 9:20 and I feel like I’ve already seen sooooo many 17 year olds. I need a hint.

I feel like they mat find the suspect in Durham or Greensboro.

MOO
IMO

Also the ballistics on the ammo. The neighbor seemed to think it was full auto. Full autos are legal in NC to own.

Jmo

David White lives just feet from where the two friends were found dead with gunshot wounds. He says he heard about 20 gunshots Friday night.

“I heard about close to 10 shots going off, like an automatic gun, and then, a pause for a little bit and five more shots went off,” he said.

A report states a neighbor said they saw Woods riding in a vehicle around 3 a.m. Saturday near where her body was found. Deputies believe the teen got a ride from someone in that car.

Conception also says she believes a third person was involved in the high schoolers’ disappearances and is responsible for their deaths.

“Where’s the other person? Who’s the other person that picked either one of them up? Who is the person or people that dropped them off?” she said.

Did anyone get a good timeline of when the neighbor heard the shots fired vs when Lyric was seen in the car at 3 am? I still feel fuzzy on this.

I thought I had read somewhere that the neighbor heard the shots around 1:30, but I cannot find any information to confirm that. Either it’s been edited out of news articles, or my memory is failing me :)

Edited to add: gunshots at 1:30 would not be consistent with the neighbor who saw Lyric in a car at 3a. Ugh.

I thought I had read somewhere that the neighbor heard the shots around 1:30, but I cannot find any information to confirm that. Either it’s been edited out of news articles, or my memory is failing me :)

Edited to add: gunshots at 1:30 would not be consistent with the neighbor who saw Lyric in a car at 3a. Ugh.
I was just looking, because I had seen the same report, but have not found the link again yet. Neighbor said he had sat down to watch tv around 12-1, and heard the shots a few minutes after that, around 1:30 IIRC JMO

General questions for locals/familiar with that area: how typical is it to hear gunshots at night? DW remembers it happening, but didn't report it (at first)? Does 1 a.m. or after 3 a.m. make a difference? IMO any automatic (or semi-auto, perhaps) fire would be alarming.

Also - very speculative - maybe the neighbors saw the car when reviewing security camera footage? Maybe that's why they know it was 3 a.m.?

General questions for locals/familiar with that area: how typical is it to hear gunshots at night? DW remembers it happening, but didn't report it (at first)? Does 1 a.m. or after 3 a.m. make a difference? IMO any automatic (or semi-auto, perhaps) fire would be alarming.

Also - very speculative - maybe the neighbors saw the car when reviewing security camera footage? Maybe that's why they know it was 3 a.m.?
Unless an interior light was on, and the car was not moving, I cannot imagine anyone was really able to identify someone inside a car at 3am. If it was near where the bodies were found, I am pretty sure there are no streetlights, but I do suppose there was still substantial moonlight. I wonder if the car was recognized moreso than Lyric was, and after hearing the news, the neighbor then placed Lyric in the car as a logical inference. JMO

Last edited:
Question — we know the suspect is 17 and has technically been charged accordingly but for some reason has yet to be apprehended… IF the suspect were to turn 18 just prior to LE apprehending him could LE re-charge him as an adult? If so, could that maybe be the reason for the delay in arresting him? Or would turning 18 before the arrest not factor into the way he gets charged since he committed the crime at 17?

Question — we know the suspect is 17 and has technically been charged accordingly but for some reason has yet to be apprehended… IF the suspect were to turn 18 just prior to LE apprehending him could LE re-charge him as an adult? If so, could that maybe be the reason for the delay in arresting him? Or would turning 18 before the arrest not factor into the way he gets charged since he committed the crime at 17?
Great question, IMO.

No doubt he's eventually going to be charged as an adult -- this is only a technicality due to a law change with juveniles. This law is also helping LE not release any details about this case while they hunt the suspect down. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ