ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide, Moscow, 13 Nov 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
taking down four adults? I guess depending on where bodies were found they could have been sleeping and unaware of the roomates being attacked....
I wonder if the perp said he wasn't going to kill them, and forced them to tie each other up. And then stabbed them. The other possibility, of course, was that they had been sleeping, and may have been sleeping off a hangover or a late night, etc. and the attacker took advantage of the situation. I'm also wondering when they were killed versus when the "unconscious" person was found. Around midday. It's possible the person I assume was outside "unconscious" might have actually been dead. They may have tried to flee and expired before reaching help.

I do wonder where each body was found in the home. It's highly possible they were either already in bed or sleeping in a common area like a living room. If it's true that one of the victims was found outside of the residence, it's quite possible that that was the person who opened the door to whoever murdered them.

Now, I am interested in who found the body and called 911. From the reports, it sort of sounds like whoever found the first body thought it was just one victim and didn't even attempt to enter the residence until help arrived, which was the smart thing to do.

Can someone confirm if the male victim also lived there? I'm guessing he didn't, but confirmation would be great. So, I'm guessing the three female victims lived there with two other girls who weren't there...? I can totally see a young college kid getting home from a party and sleeping over at a friend's or a significant other's house at noon, and it isn't too far fetched that everything was still very quiet at that time since it appears the area is a party spot on the weekends.

3-4am, perhaps they were stabbed in sleep? MOO, due to timeline. Absolutely HORRIFIC for them to claim “no threat to public” in such a violent murder! Unless they know FOR SURE. They’ve reported it could be crime of passion (which is often targeted) or burglary gone wrong (often a random act). Those are conflicting statements. How is there no threat? MOO. This is absolutely tragic.
At that age, I was just getting started at 11 PM and often up at 3 on weekend nights, so I think it's possible that they were awake, and the reason the timeframe is more or less known is that that's when activity stopped on all of their phones... but obviously I have no idea what happened.

I agree that it doesn't seem like a great idea to say that there's no threat to the public when nothing is really known.

JMO

Odd wording, ''a unique occurrence'',imo
rbbm.
''BOISE, Idaho -- Investigators are looking for a suspect in the deaths of four University of Idaho students whose bodies were found at an off-campus home during the weekend, a newspaper reported.

Authorities in the city of Moscow, Idaho, have released little information about the deaths, including the cause, but have said all four students are victims and that there is no active risk to the community.''

''The students likely died between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m., but they weren't discovered for hours, Bettge said.

“The police got there at noon, nothing happened in the interim and nothing happened afterward, so it seemed to be a unique occurrence that was not apt to be repeated,” said Bettge. That timeline helped authorities determine that there was not an active risk, he said.

Dahlinger declined to confirm or deny Bettge’s description of the timeline.''

I wonder if the perp said he wasn't going to kill them, and forced them to tie each other up. And then stabbed them. The other possibility, of course, was that they had been sleeping, and may have been sleeping off a hangover or a late night, etc. and the attacker took advantage of the situation. I'm also wondering when they were killed versus when the "unconscious" person was found. Around midday. It's possible the person I assume was outside "unconscious" might have actually been dead. They may have tried to flee and expired before reaching help.
Articles indicate they died between 3-4am. We aren’t really clear on if there was an unconscious person outside.

There are 15 pictures in the article. I’ve chosen one of the search dog.

View attachment 379931

Lucca Musick and Decker Rilenge live in an apartment building next to the residence where the four students were found.

They were cleaning their apartment Sunday when a friend messaged Rilenge and told them about the reported homicide. Musick and Rilenge looked out the window and saw police cars, along with a group of women crying while draped in emergency blankets.

“You don’t think something like that’s going to happen here,” Rilenge said.

Musick said they told a police officer they could hear loud music Saturday night, indicating there was a party going on in the neighborhood. They said parties are a regular occurrence in that area.

Rilenge said they did not hear any screaming or gunshots that night.
From your link:

They were cleaning their apartment Sunday when a friend messaged Rilenge and told them about the reported homicide. Musick and Rilenge looked out the window and saw police cars, along with a group of women crying while draped in emergency blankets.

Curiouser and curiouser. Why was a group of women outside draped in emergency blankets? IMO we’ll get a fuller story in the next few days but in the meantime it seems like some parts contradict other parts. LE is looking for a suspect in a multiple homicide case where an edged weapon was used but they believe there’s no significant danger to the public? What are we missing?

From your link:

Curiouser and curiouser. Why was a group of women outside draped in emergency blankets? IMO we’ll get a fuller story in the next few days but in the meantime it seems like some parts contradict other parts. LE is looking for a suspect in a multiple homicide case where an edged weapon was used but they believe there’s no significant danger to the public? What are we missing?
I would speculate that a "group of women in emergency blankets" could be other roommates that either returned home to the scene or were present at the scene.

It feels like you either have a) a violent (possibly unknown) criminal killer - who may very well kill again or b) a violent killer - possibly someone the police are looking for - who they think is not likely to continue the spree.

If A or unknown... the statement re: public danger makes little sense.

oh my this does sound possible and absolutely horrific.... I am waiting for the rest of the story, I cannot imagine 4 young lives with promising futures taken, I mean we don't personally know them, but they are just babies, starting lives.

I do wonder where each body was found in the home. It's highly possible they were either already in bed or sleeping in a common area like a living room. If it's true that one of the victims was found outside of the residence, it's quite possible that that was the person who opened the door to whoever murdered them.

Now, I am interested in who found the body and called 911. From the reports, it sort of sounds like whoever found the first body thought it was just one victim and didn't even attempt to enter the residence until help arrived, which was the smart thing to do.

Can someone confirm if the male victim also lived there? I'm guessing he didn't, but confirmation would be great. So, I'm guessing the three female victims lived there with two other girls who weren't there...? I can totally see a young college kid getting home from a party and sleeping over at a friend's or a significant other's house at noon, and it isn't too far fetched that everything was still very quiet at that time since it appears the area is a party spot on the weekends.
I don’t believe the male victim lived there. This is a post by Maddie saying, “meet the roommates”.

could be a lot of different scenarios, maybe a unit directly sharing a wall with the victims was evacuated and those were the ladies in emergency blankets, or they could have been regular blankets. Roomates arriving home to the police scene? or neighbors concerned for friends ran out in the cold and the cops asked them to wait to answer some questions about the victims and gave them blankets to warm up ?

In light of the comments of the neighbors regarding Saturday night's party (which sounds to me like it took place at the victims' house--is this everyone else's understanding, too, or am I misreading it?), I wonder if perhaps the victims had turned someone away from their party/gathering and the individual returned hours later to exact revenge on the people who had not let them in?

Thanks for this. For those who haven't watched, new info I heard in the report: the weapon has not been found, classes are in session today and that a memorial vigil that was planned has been postponed until after the Thanksgiving break.
I’m surprised they are going to wait that long for a memorial!

I was in Moscow and Pullman back in 2003 and really liked both towns...I thought about retiring to Moscow, until I looked up real-estate prices there :(.....It doesn't strike one as the sort of place where this thing could happen. Yikes.

This is one I'll follow closely.

If students are leaving early to head home/escape the unknowns of a killer potentially being around, it will make it harder/longer for LE to gather info from anyone who may have been a witness, seen a possible clue, remember some tidbit, etc.

I don't blame the students for leaving & would surely want mine to come home early in this situation. But I fear it may slow the investigation. A lot.

MOO.

From your link:

Curiouser and curiouser. Why was a group of women outside draped in emergency blankets?
BBM
IMO, it is probably the victims grieving friends and the other 2 roommates who I dont think were there at the time of the murders based on not being mentioned in the media. Photos at the scene show people bundled up a bit, so maybe it was cold and they went to the scene as soon as they heard, not thinking to dress warm so they were given emergency blankets. Just speculation, but it's the simplest and only plausible explanation I can think of. I don't think it is anything worth being too curious over.

I’m surprised they are going to wait that long for a memorial!
My Opinion Only: I think the “memorial vigil” is a public event to be held in Moscow and does not refer to any memorial services that the families may have. With so little information available, a public event might cause more anxiety for students and community members at the moment.

Some families might choose to wait for the bodies to be released, and it sounds like autopsies are still pending. Very sad to think of services being scheduled Thanksgiving week, especially for those who were planning to celebrate Thanksgiving with the victims.

JMO.

In light of the comments of the neighbors regarding Saturday night's party (which sounds to me like it took place at the victims' house--is this everyone else's understanding, too, or am I misreading it?), I wonder if perhaps the victims had turned someone away from their party/gathering and the individual returned hours later to exact revenge on the people who had not let them in?
I think its possible, but yet the multiple victims and the very personal nature of the attacks (stabbing) could also suggest somebody with closer connections to the group than a turned away party goer.

In the end, I think an unhinged partier would more likely choose the standard and far less personal "spray and pray" drive by form of retaliation. The headline would then be:

- One Student Dead after Shots Fired into Home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member