ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't you check with the other housemates before calling someone's brother who doesn't live there?

It wouldn't be uncommon for a couple to have their door locked but if you went upstairs and you see a empty bedroom and another door locked and couldn't wake them ...that would cause alarm.
It's possible that the upstairs roommates had plans that the downstairs roommates knew about, and they assumed they'd gone out - if they didn't look outside and see the car, there would be no reason to think they were home.

For the folks that think Universities have no say what happens in off campus housing. That is incorrect.
Thank you very much for posting this link.
Just started reading but may be enlightening.

Or maybe, the person wasn't old enough to buy a gun or couldn't get a gun permit because of his background or didn't want to leave that kind of "trail". Just my thoughts.
Good points.

To clarify, there’s no bottom age limit in Idaho with parental consent. Once someone is 18, parental consent isn’t required.
Gun & Weapon Law

Updated Nov 30, 2022

SUMMARY​

On the evening of November 12th, Kaylee Goncalves and Madison Mogen were at a local bar called Corner Club at 202 N. Main Street, in downtown Moscow, between 10 p.m. and 1:30 a.m. on November 13th. At approximately 1:40 a.m., Kaylee and Madison were seen on video at a local food vendor called the “Grub Truck” at 318 S. Main Street and used a private party for a ride home from downtown to arrive at their 1122 King Road residence around 1:56 a.m. (Arrival time has been updated based on digital evidence collected by investigators.)

Investigators have determined that Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were seen at the Sigma Chi house on the University of Idaho Campus at 735 Nez Perce Drive. At approximately 1:45 a.m., Ethan and Xana are believed to have returned to the residence at 1122 King Road. It was previously reported that Ethan resided at the home; however, it has been determined that he was only visiting.

Detectives believe that on November 12th, the two surviving roommates had also been out in the Moscow community, separately, but returned home by 1 a.m. on November 13th. The two did not wake up until later that morning.

On November 13th, the surviving roommates summoned friends to the residence because they believed one of the second-floor victims had passed out and was not waking up. At 11:58 a.m., a 911 call requested aid for an unconscious person. The call was made from one of the surviving roommates’ cell phones inside the residence. Multiple people talked with the 911 dispatcher before Moscow Police arrived at the location. Officers entered the residence and found two victims on the second floor and two victims on the third floor.

Autopsies were conducted on November 17th. The Latah County Coroner confirmed the identity of the four murdered individuals and their cause and manner of death as homicide by stabbing. The coroner stated the four victims were likely asleep, some had defensive wounds, and each was stabbed multiple times. There was no sign of sexual assault.

It's possible that the upstairs roommates had plans that the downstairs roommates knew about, and they assumed they'd gone out - if they didn't look outside and see the car, there would be no reason to think they were home.
Idk, if something was wrong I’d probably assume something might have happened to them preventing them from going out.

Investigators have determined that Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were seen at the Sigma Chi house on the University of Idaho Campus at 735 Nez Perce Drive. At approximately 1:45 a.m., Ethan and Xana are believed to have returned to the residence at 1122 King Road.
Thanks for posting the update S1 ….

So this would suggest there is no missing 5 hours…. in the timeline …. Mystery solved … IMO

But at 3am?
People order food to be delivered at 3 am. That is not the issue. The perpetrator is confident and knew why he was there and what he was doing. He had it thought well, planned every detail, he certainly thought of what kind of excuse he can make if he was caught not by one person but by group of people sneaking around. Even the dog was silenced without being harmed, as a dog owner I am seriously puzzled how he did it. Does he have a dog or used to be around dogs?

DBM for focus.

I don't agree that 10050 Cielo Drive was the "target" for Manson. A person Manson believed to live there (probably record producer Terry Melcher) and his family/guests were the target; Manson just didn't know his target had moved and the Polanskis had rented the house.
Correct

N no N

For that type of call, the police may have rolled up on the students without sirens &/or flashing lights.
Fox is not a news organization. It is an entertainment organization. As such, their credibility is lacking.

Saying that the coroner or ME didn’t see the bodies as fast as normal is a ridiculous statement. Many bodies are found days, weeks later.

Many disciplines are needed to narrow TSD.

There’s a new book out published by the:
National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information

Methods Of Estimation Of Time Since Death​

Shrestha R, Kanchan T, Krishan K.

“Forensic pathologists are essentially required to estimate the time since death (TSD) to assist in death investigation by limiting the investigation period and thus helping narrow down the number of suspects in homicide cases. TSD also provides valuable information in establishing the timeline of events that lead to death.”

I will provide the link if you want to read more, but basically LE, medical professionals, etc must all work together to determine TSD. In this case, we know when they got their food; when they arrived home; when they were found. Also, all 4 of them were likely killed and found about the same time. There will be minor variations, but LE will be able to eliminate numerous POI by narrowing the TSD. DNA will tell the order of the attacks as first victim will only have blood from themselves and/or the killer and possibly the other victim in the room; 2nd and 3rd will have more—unless killer went back and forth between victims or rooms. It will take awhile to put all of the information together to figure out “what happened” “when it happened,” and if killer is caught, perhaps we’ll learn the “why.”

Please forgive my long posts. I have a BA in Journalism and can’t tolerate opinions presented as facts. No offense to poster intended. MOO

I could see that if he was knocking on the door but LE isn’t going to be walking around inside your dark house at 3am.
He could have said that they got a call for this address and he was ringing the door bell at the front but noone answered so he went to check the house from the back to be sure that everyone is well and not harmed. He could have even express concern that the sliding door was left open. He was too confident and he would have come with plausible excuse, this is what is important. If the girls already met him, as I suspect, he would have said that he was concerned about their safety and wanted to check they are good.

When investigators say this is a targeted attack what do they really mean? We've had lots of theories regarding the individual who committed this crime. He's an incel, lives at home, never dated, jealous of Greek life, has a superiority/inferiority complex, etc.

I don't know whether the assailant is 20 or 40 years old, has ever kissed a girl or had a good job, lives in his mom's basement or outside the city. He could be any or many of those things. But why did he choose to enter a home and kill four people? Did he let 2 people live or was he not aware of them?

I don't know whether LE are framing the word 'targeted' as a descriptor meaning one of the deceased received more injuries than the other three. That doesn't necessarily mean they were the actual target though; it just might mean they were harder to kill. Perhaps E sustained more injuries since he might have confronted the killer. And maybe it wasn't even confrontational. Maybe he just got up because he heard a noise and then had to go pee and because he was a big guy, the killer had to inflict more damage on him.

K's family said she had a stalker and I believe that's what's fueling the theory that she was the target even though LE have not verified that claim. It could be a strategy, however, to keep the killer off balance.

Some theories of 'why' are: assailant was disrespected, is small and unattractive and takes his self hatred out on women, drug deal gone bad, theft turned deadly. But what if it is something completely different? What if it doesn't have anything to do with sexy girls and frat boys and menial jobs, lack of sex appeal, no future, etc.

What if it's ideological in nature? Religious or political. IMO

Whatever the reason behind the killings I hope all investigating bodies hold their cards close to their vests, provide updates when needed and keep some of their spokespersons on a short leash.

Whatever parents and family members of the deceased say, they say out of grief, because every minute the murderer isn't caught feels like a month and every day feels like a year. I hope they are getting some counseling.

Murder investigations take a long time. The first few hours and days of an investigation a lot of information is amended and discarded as new clues are unearthed. Out of chaos comes order. It's a fact that sometimes first responders create a kind of forensic nightmare for the investigators because their first priority is to save lives. A living victim can provide more evidence than trace evidence ever could.

An interesting link of a defense attorney who used to be an EMT:

People order food to be delivered at 3 am. That is not the issue. The perpetrator is confident and knew why he was there and what he was doing. He had it thought well, planned every detail, he certainly thought of what kind of excuse he can make if he was caught not by one person but by group of people sneaking around. Even the dog was silenced without being harmed, as a dog owner I am seriously puzzled how he did it. Does he have a dog or used to be around dogs?
Do you think it was a pizza delivery person or food delivery person?

In Moscow Idaho? Ordering food at 3 am? Sorry can't get that down here in San Antonio. Delivery ends around midnight here.

This made me sad that no one spoke on her behalf that was a loved one.
Both Xana's father, Jeffrey, and her sister spoke to the media earlier from Avondale, AZ, and provided that his daughter was in constant communication with her family and nothing about that night seemed unusual. Dad visited his daughter only a week earlier for parent's weekend. :( All are welcome to attend a service for Xana, Ethan, Madison and Kaylee at 11 a.m. Friday, Dec. 2, at Real Life Ministries in Post Falls, Idaho.

In addition to the loss of Xana, I'm afraid they might be dealing with other unfortunate family matters where they'd rather not be available to the media.

Regarding the interview with Latah County Prosecutor Bill Thompson, we feel his responses were messaged to support the implication that new information had been released. Specifically, generalized statements regarding the potential of targeted victims and the involvement of drugs were redefined into an affirmative answer. At this time, there is no change or new information in this case, and references otherwise would be inaccurate.

11/30 Update
Yikes. This makes it sound like the DA was slapped on the hand trying to imply they’d made some progress, when in fact there has been none. I hope what they meant is “while the investigation is turning up new information, nothing new is being released at this time to protect the integrity of the investigation”.

Also, I wish they’d quit saying they have no suspects and all previous POI have been cleared. It’s depressing, and IMO misleading. If nothing else they’re at least investigating random tips about “my creepy neighbor”. Right??? I originally hoped they were saying this to mislead the killer but they’ve repeated it so many times I’m beginning to believe them.

I’m pretty confident this case will be solved based on seeing how the FBI, State BI’s and local LE agencies typically make significant progress in early weeks of an investigation even when we don’t know it. IMO, for someone who doesn’t follow true crime and only has these statements to go by, catching the killer would seem hopeless. The residents of the community must be getting more terrified by the day.

I am a strong supporter of LE in general and give this team the benefit of doubt they’re doing a fine job. But FCOL, the person crafting the public relations strategy should be sent to a 101 LE communications seminar STAT.

Only my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members