ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
potentially, but really, if you've just successfully (in the killer's mind) murdered four people, are you going to risk going out of a window when you can just open the door and slink away?

editing to add: I'm also going to have left the door cracked when I came in, even if it was unlocked already, to eliminate as many stray noises as possible, and I'm going out the same door I went in, clean up on both sides, in case I left some errant DNA or clue. BUT that is because I would have planned this so many different ways, I'd be ticking off my to-do list as I went. probably important to mention that I'm not actually a killer and this is all my vivid imagination combined with too much reading and an interest in criminal law.
I was thinking enter through the window, leave through the kitchen

How would you confirm an alibi for somebody* who was asleep in their bed all night ( incl 3-4am) and whose phone also places them at home? ( You've checked the pings and that phone never moved, it was left on & it connected to the network near the person's home all night long.) They also appear straightforward and honest, volunteered to come down for an interview, no lawyer. Really helpful person etc

They live at home with their mother and their mother confirms their child was home, although cause she doesn't sleep in the same bed & is a deep sleeper she can only confirm physically seeing them when she went to bed at 11pm and again the next morning when she saw them, say 1oam?

what would be your next step OldCop?
* the somebody is a high priority but not a PoI
Sometimes you can never confirm an alibi, so now you start with CCTV (near the crime scene obviously), but also near this person’s home. Did a neighbor’s ring doorbell catch him leaving after he said he was home for the night? How about the corner gas station?
You can also check his vehicle’s telematics if he has one. You can ask if he’ll provide a DNA swab. What have you learned about this person that makes him suspicious to you? You do a deep dive on his phone or computer if you have enough PC to get a warrant. You interview his friends, coworkers, employers. He knows you are doing this. If he’s guilty, he may get nervous. He may slip up. Maybe he will get rid of the knife that he wanted to keep. You’re pretty sure you know who the killer is, but you just can’t prove it. Yet.

Sometimes you can never confirm an alibi, so now you start with CCTV (near the crime scene obviously), but also near this person’s home. Did a neighbor’s ring doorbell catch him leaving after he said he was home for the night? How about the corner gas station?
You can also check his vehicle’s telematics if he has one. You can ask if he’ll provide a DNA swab. What have you learned about this person that makes him suspicious to you? You do a deep dive on his phone or computer if you have enough PC to get a warrant. You interview his friends, coworkers, employers. He knows you are doing this. If he’s guilty, he may get nervous. He may slip up. Maybe he will get rid of the knife that he wanted to keep. You’re pretty sure you know who the killer is, but you just can’t prove it. Yet.
How often does perpetrator’s family cover up for him or her?

Like Manson Family doing their 'creepy-crawlings' stuff in numerous homes before August '69. I'm thinking the same, actually. Each time I hear/read 'it's thought the perp may have been inside before 11/12' my mind immediately questions that with 'was he in there knowingly to the tenants, or unknowingly?'

I want to relentlessly compare this case to the Tate-LaBianca case, as well as the Holly Bobo case. Why?! IDK. Understandbly each case is different and are case-by-case scenarios. I get that. Constant variables and such. But, those are the main two I go to when comparing, for some reason.

Having said all that, it leads me to two more points.

1) Karen Bobo is the gold-standard when it comes to a grieving parent going before media, imo. Press conference after press conference and saying what she had to say/was able to say without revealing what LE didn't want her to say and not answering too many q's from the press or public.

2) The perp's name has crossed the desk of LE at some point prior to 11/12/22, imo. Fights with family members/domestic assaults, car theft/theft of property, public nuisance, drunk and disorderly, poss of meth (hard for me to believe perp wasn't amped up by something on 11/12/22), endlesss possibilities. But, my point is, his name has likely crossed a desk prior to 11/12/22. Zach Adams' name had, Jason Autry's name had, Shane Austin's name had, and countless names of Manson Family Members had. So, imo, this perp's name has been in the mix somewhere prior to that night, maybe in different jurisdictions, but it's there somewhere.

All just my opinion and pure speculation.
I hope you are right, and if he had interacted with LE before, that they have his DNA on file and that despite his many precautions he left that one small piece of him behind at the scene, and it can be matched.

Like Manson Family doing their 'creepy-crawlings' stuff in numerous homes before August '69. I'm thinking the same, actually. Each time I hear/read 'it's thought the perp may have been inside before 11/12' my mind immediately questions that with 'was he in there knowingly to the tenants, or unknowingly?'
That's exactly what I thought of when OldCop posted that! It seems like the Mansons were doing it as a training exercise. Then I thought about BTK and GSK doing the same thing.

From thread 19 from travelingpartyof 5

“Absolutely, yes— this idea. I am wondering too. The combination of one family saying the daughter complained of having a stalker and another family saying Dad just changed Xana’s locks leads me to think something creepy was happening.”

Do you have a link for Xana’s dad saying he changed her locks? I would like to read that in the original source, thank you!
^^BBM

I found it!

IMO, Banfield spent most of her interview putting words in Xana's mother's mouth (Cara Kernodle) who clearly had little info to offer (for very good reason).

If one LISTENS TO the interview by Kenneth Kernodle on 11/17/22 -- he talks about a combination door lock to enter and how he himself had to go to the slider but never says anything about repairing a lock or changing the door lock.

What he does say is that he thought his daughter had "CHANGED A LOT" -- not to be confused with CHANGED A LOCK!

11/17/22

Kernodle is now struggling to understand how this could have happened. Why Xana? “They were just hanging out at home. Xana was just hanging out at home with her boyfriend,” he explained.

Two other female roommates, Madison Mogen and Kaylee Goncalves, were killed along with Xana’s boyfriend, Ethan Chapin, who Kernodle loved.

“Her and Ethan were together about a year, give or take. And she, really, when I went up there she, I saw her just a week before that and she changed a lot.

She had a life. She got to see what it was like to have a boyfriend you live with. And she really turned around. She was really responsible. Helping him out with his studies and stuff. I was really impressed,” he said.

Last edited:
Y
I don't think so, LEO are skilled at deceptive questioning and interrogation. Most crimes are solved based on inconsistent answers to questions, when police question potential suspects, prior to reading them their rights to remain silent.

However, if a person obtains counsel, for any questions from the beginning, LEO won't have an opportunity to attempt to obtain any information, to investigate for discrepancies. The investigation has to be done using evidence to connect the person to the crime for an arrest. Far more difficult than getting a confession, or investigating alibis.
Even if you are innocent I would have my attorney present while I answer questions in a formal interview. This is not a traffic ticket, it’s the murder of 4 people.

^^BBM

IMO, Banfield spent most of her interview putting words in Xana's mother's mouth that clearly had little info to offer (for very good reason).

If one LISTENS TO the interview by Kenneth Kernodle on 11/17/22 -- he talks about a combination door lock to enter and how he himself had to go to the slider but never says anything about repairing a lock or changing the door lock.

What he does say is that he thought his daughter had "CHANGED A LOT" -- not to be confused with CHANGED A LOCK!

11/17/22

Kernodle is now struggling to understand how this could have happened. Why Xana? “They were just hanging out at home. Xana was just hanging out at home with her boyfriend,” he explained.

Two other female roommates, Madison Mogen and Kaylee Goncalves, were killed along with Xana’s boyfriend, Ethan Chapin, who Kernodle loved.

“Her and Ethan were together about a year, give or take. And she, really, when I went up there she, I saw her just a week before that and she changed a lot.

She had a life. She got to see what it was like to have a boyfriend you live with. And she really turned around. She was really responsible. Helping him out with his studies and stuff. I was really impressed,” he said.
Great observations @Seattle1 - thanks!

In Banfield's interview with Xana Kernodle's mother (Cara Kernodle), she asks CK if she can confirm whether or not Kaylee (or others) had a stalker. Again, this information seems conflated from the Gonsalves interview on 11/20 where Kaylee's mother Kari provided how Kaylee was aware of her surroundings and would call her parents thinking she was being followed and when mom would tell her to call the police, Kaylee would say "never mind, the person turned at 7-11 store"... i.e., she was NOT being followed.

Lawrence Jones Cross Country
November 20, 2022
14:25
CLIP

Thanks OC
That really helps.

I know they have the 80 strong team now, but also realise that there are so many personal connections for each student that it's a lot of people to process & eliminate and so, at first instance you cannot throw the kitchen sink at every possible suspect to triple check every person to get air tight alibis in the first phase.

Even if you are innocent I would have my attorney present while I answer questions in a formal interview. This is not a traffic ticket, it’s the murder of 4 people.

Also, LE can't question without mirandizing except for the questions around basic things:

'...Most crimes are solved based on inconsistent answers to questions, when police question potential suspects, prior to reading them their rights to remain silent....'

and while Miranda rights came from the case name, they are related to constitutional rights, and 4th, 5th nd 6th are very important during any interaction with LE.

editing to add Miranda Warning

"Miranda warning" refers to the constitutional requirement that once an individual is detained by the police, there are certain warnings a police officer is required to give to a detainee.

"The requirement to give Miranda warnings came from the Supreme Court decision, Miranda v. Arizona, 384 US 436 (1966). In Miranda, the Court held that a defendant cannot be questioned by police in the context of a custodial interrogation until the defendant is made aware of the right to remain silent, the right to consult with an attorney and have the attorney present during questioning, and the right to have an attorney appointed if indigent.

These warnings stem from the Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination and the Sixth Amendment right to counsel."

I included lots of links above re this. Anyone-regardless of guilt, and esp if innocent-should not speak to police without an attorney present. The atty would counsel on when to answer, when questions became interrogation (they can look very similar, and we know this because of the number of cases based on this that go through the appellate courts), how long someone could be detained, etc., etc.

Last edited:
^^BBM

IMO, Banfield spent most of her interview putting words in Xana's mother's mouth (Cara Kernodle) who clearly had little info to offer (for very good reason).

11/17/22

wow - that's quite a contrast.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members