ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a possibility based off the hand print picture that the perp put his hand on the window and moved his face closer to the window to get a better peek before entering the home??! I’d have a hard time believing it would be easy for anyone to get through a window quietly! Gosh knows what’s around you and that kitchen looks like a typical college household before you’ve woken up the next day and cleaned up your home.
I have an antique truck that I've locked the keys in before, if I apply firm pressure to the slider window in the pick up cab with my palms I can slide it open, reach in an unlock the door, our slider glass door lift up and out of the tracks, my first thought was the perp used palms like I do on my truck to lift the slider door up enough to bypass the flip lock, then enter through there.

Quite aware. but there's only one door. if you look at the layout, you'll see that on the second and third floors, the killer would have more escape options.
It’s obviously standard procedure, but the examination of the windows definitely has me theorizing of at least an alternative exit than what most believe to be the screen door.

I believe that a brutal crime like this perpetrated against students by an unknown person or persons who generally targeted them in their home while they likely slept, according to official accounts, should come with substantial warnings to students and the immediate public, and that the school should have issued a strong warning while at the same time implementing either mandatory online coursework or at a minimum, imposed a curfew, until the suspect is caught or known.

Ambiguously sharing generic information with the public about a crime of this magnitude is not enough, and isn't conducive to cultivating public trust in community officials.

My opinion.
I am trying to follow your train of thought regarding the “curfew” suggestion.
The victims were home in their house when they were killed so wondering how a curfew helps? The four victims arguably would still be alive if they stayed out all night and never went home that night. What am I missing? JMOO

Appreciate your time and experience for us all. Can I ask - if LE was pursuing some people more than others in questioning - and say they soon after got legal counsel - Do you think this would or could be leaked or discovered by the media?
I would say yes, either could happen. Leaks are the bane of all LE agencies, government entities, big business and others. Leaks can really punch a hole in a tight investigation. Why do some people, including some LEO’s, get a rise out of leaking to the press? Because it boosts their ego. It makes them feel important. They are the keeper of secrets.
In some of the worst cases, LE officers, DEA agents, and FBI agents have leaked information about investigations to criminal enterprises such as the Mafia or Drug Cartels. They are usually paid for their information. Leaks can derail months of work and in the case of undercover officers, can put their lives in danger.
The elite investigative units in all agencies hand pick their personnel and they are sworn to secrecy, but leaks still happen, unfortunately.
In this case, we’ve seen how the media has hounded people they think could have been involved. If someone who is part of the investigation leaks that a potential suspect has lawyered up, the press will have a field day.

Could anyone, not necessarily the OP, post a pic of what one of these coded locks might look like? I must live a sheltered existence or am just old...I don't think I have ever seen a lock outside a bedroom door in a home.
Example:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kwikset-Sm...y-Electronic-Handle-Lighted-Keypad/1001223664
Heck, I had no idea that people had these types of locks on bedroom doors, but I'm also old.

I would think they would be common in "rooms for rent" (where people don't know each other), but it seems like in this home, the occupants were all friends and knew each other. (So, it's one of those things that just isn't answered)

It’s obviously standard procedure, but the examination of the windows definitely has me theorizing of at least an alternative exit than what most believe to be the screen door.
potentially, but really, if you've just successfully (in the killer's mind) murdered four people, are you going to risk going out of a window when you can just open the door and slink away?

editing to add: I'm also going to have left the door cracked when I came in, even if it was unlocked already, to eliminate as many stray noises as possible, and I'm going out the same door I went in, clean up on both sides, in case I left some errant DNA or clue. BUT that is because I would have planned this so many different ways, I'd be ticking off my to-do list as I went. probably important to mention that I'm not actually a killer and this is all my vivid imagination combined with too much reading and an interest in criminal law.

Last edited:
We had boys and we always checked security at their college rentals. We added locks as well as, security pins and wedges especially to sliding glass doors. We felt compelled by our love and hoped that our boys would use and apply security measures. That's the best we could do.
You could fit the best locks in the world, but it won't matter unless the person uses them.
And I'm sure some students will get lax about that, particularly in a small town in Idaho. The 'unsafe feeling' wouldn't be there in Mosocw as much as it would be, say, in Philadelphia or Chicago or Houston.

I think it's wise even if it wasn't a "party" house.

In a video of the victims posted in an early thread, they were doing imitations of each other. If I remember correctly, someone imitating X had her being concerned whether everyone had done their assigned chores that day and was holding a broom or mop. It made me think that X was likely an organized and tidy person.

As for someone asking why X's dad would have installed a new lock vs. a landlord taking care of it, my opinion is dad probably was going to do a better, faster job because it was for someone he loves vs. a rental company that would probably put it on a to-do list and might get around to it someday. It's also possible the rental company told them they could do it and submit a receipt for the new lock to them for reimbursement.

All MOO.
It’s also possible that he changed the locks himself bc he did not want a stranger/maintenance guy having a key/the combo etc or even want a maintenance guy in the house.

I have an antique truck that I've locked the keys in before, if I apply firm pressure to the slider window in the pick up cab with my palms I can slide it open, reach in an unlock the door, our slider glass door lift up and out of the tracks, my first thought was the perp used palms like I do on my truck to lift the slider door up enough to bypass the flip lock, then enter through there.
Never thought of that!!!

remember when Ashleigh Banfield reacted to the number of items collected and said that 113 is very small considering the number of victims?

I hadn't thought about it until she mentioned it but if you think it through for 4 victims ( or include two survivors too ) and communal rooms it does seem quite a small number.

This is all MOO -
- What if the 2 surviving roommates had boyfriends who either stayed over or the roommates often stayed with them - so the killer was unsure if they would be there or not. So - if X and E put up a fight of some sort and made noise, considering they were the closest to level 1, the killer did not go there thinking that the roommates and potentially their boyfriends were awake and prepared to confront them. And since the victims all arrived home at a similar time, if the killer was watching at that time, he knew who was on levels 2 and 3, but level 1 was somewhat unknown..
- Also, with the weather so cold, I cannot imagine leaving any doors or windows open, unlocked maybe, but not wide open.

I apologise if these points have already been discussed, I have not seen these possibilities mentioned yet..

"To Xana and Ethan – the two best friends but perfect pair together," Mortensen wrote. "They had this unstoppable, loving relationship. They'd both look at each other with so much love. Everyone knew they were the perfect duo. They both had this fun, passionate, crazy but good energy. They both were the kind of people who cared about everyone and would help anyone."

I am trying to follow your train of thought regarding the “curfew” suggestion.
The victims were home in their house when they were killed so wondering how a curfew helps? The four victims arguably would still be alive if they stayed out all night and never went home that night. What am I missing? JMOO
As well none of them lived on campus, as far as I can tell, so I am unclear how a school imposed curfew on their residences would affect what I am guessing is the majority of students who don't live in residence.

LE stated on their website that the private party who drove K and M home wasn't involved, so they must know the driver's identity.
That's what I thought, too. Didn't the witness at grub truck also say that he saw them get in the dark sedan and that the driver yelled for them to "hurry up" ? Must have been the DD sent per sorority or fraternity service...either that, or they called him and asked for a ride, but I think that we would know that much, now. JMO

Example:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kwikset-Sm...y-Electronic-Handle-Lighted-Keypad/1001223664
Heck, I had no idea that people had these types of locks on bedroom doors, but I'm also old.

I would think they would be common in "rooms for rent" (where people don't know each other), but it seems like in this home, the occupants were all friends and knew each other. (So, it's one of those things that just isn't answered)
My experience in a university town is that many homes are set up for students, so while this group of students all know each other well, they don't always. The locks may have just been there as part of the usual unofficial "student" housing if this house was always used for students.

Example:

Obviously, I am old, too. This got me to thinking. We’ve all been wondering if the killer might have been in the house prior to the killings. I wonder if any of the roommates thought someone might have been in their room while they were out; not necessarily a burglary but maybe they noticed small things moved around or out of place?

Quite aware. but there's only one door. if you look at the layout, you'll see that on the second and third floors, the killer would have more escape options.
I'm assuming you're referring to a few extra windows on the second and third, since there's a door on each floor (although 3rd has no stairs down). Not disputing, just trying to understand/clarify.

Excellent thought - I think this day in age ( who can forget the Anthony searches for chloroform) this killer very well may have done exactly that AND it likely would take time to get that info from their phone/computer. If they did it on a library computer I wonder if it would be logged?
the searches would be logged, and if id were required, then id of person searching. probably a sign in log for usage, etc. I'd imagine this killer used a burner phone for research and many other tech tools, if they're tech savvy and organized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolibery