ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
“When someone has been stabbed in the lungs they cannot yell or scream in warning to others.” “The lungs make a good primary target to allow you to set up a second strike.”
I wonder if the perp knew that? Would they have researched stabbing techniques beforehand?

Bumping this forward correctly (I hope) in spite of being behind:
Post in thread 'ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 19'

Lots of good insight, but I wanted to emphasize this:
1) No police leaks: Reporters CULTIVATE relationships with members of law enforcement year-round so that they can get information from a confidential source, a person who has asked to remain anonymous, a credible source, etc. There have been NO police leaks in this case which means that they have a TIGHT LID on information. By now, there could have been leaks about who the prime suspect is and details about the crime itself. But there have been NO leaks which is amazing.”

There were LE/public official leaks very early (Day 1 especially, also on Day 2). I just want to say that I think it’s a tribute to this community that those early leaks have ~continued~ to be tightly held. “They” aren’t looking for 25 minutes of fame; “they” don’t want to say/do anything that could even remotely compromise a prosecution or answers for the devastated loved ones.

While those kids weren’t born/raised in Moscow, they were “adopted” by this community as all UI students are & as WSU students are as well. While life goes on, many of us will continue to carry these kids in our hearts forever. Not just the horrific murders, but also the sad things that happen to our “adopted” kids here.

I don’t know if that happens in other college communities, but it’s an ethos that’s been here as long as I’ve lived here.

All JMHO as a Moscow community member

Why didn’t the murderer go downstairs? Why upstairs?
my theory is because he's trapped downstairs. only one way out. upstairs, lots of options, and still four victims. someone who planned this and spent his time hunting his prey is probably pretty conscious of being trapped himself.

Last edited:
I wonder if the perp knew that? Would they have researched stabbing techniques beforehand?
Excellent thought - I think this day in age ( who can forget the Anthony searches for chloroform) this killer very well may have done exactly that AND it likely would take time to get that info from their phone/computer. If they did it on a library computer I wonder if it would be logged?

They will usually start with an interview and alibi check. If things aren’t adding up they will begin affidavits for cell phones etc.
The initial interview can be very telling. Some folks are good liars, some are not. If you are one of those people who get nervous just talking to LE even if you haven’t done anything, and there are many, and then you say you were home alone all night, you might get another look by LE.
So, an individual who seems to be forthright and honest and has a good alibi, ie in a public place with witnesses, would likely be cleared at this time. If your alibi puts you in a bar on video, that’s great, but what if upon reviewing the entire video, LE realizes that there was an extended period where the person wasn’t actually seen? LE would likely bring you back in for questioning and look for inconsistencies in your statement.
I believe there will be some difficulty corroborating alibis for people given that the crime likely took place sometime between three and four in the morning.
Appreciate your time and experience for us all. Can I ask - if LE was pursuing some people more than others in questioning - and say they soon after got legal counsel - Do you think this would or could be leaked or discovered by the media?

I don't think so, LEO are skilled at deceptive questioning and interrogation. Most crimes are solved based on inconsistent answers to questions, when police question potential suspects, prior to reading them their rights to remain silent.

However, if a person obtains counsel, for any questions from the beginning, LEO won't have an opportunity to attempt to obtain any information, to investigate for discrepancies. The investigation has to be done using evidence to connect the person to the crime for an arrest. Far more difficult than getting a confession, or investigating alibis.
Is there any indication that some of the people interviewed lawyered up and refused to cooperate? I have a feeling that this case could still go in any direction when it comes to the type of perp.

I also think that the mass media attention to this case, along with the websleuthing world being involved makes it less likely for someone to be as brazen as to show up at one or more funerals - especially since it has been reported that the killer would likely do so.

That’s a an entirely different level of brazen (or stupidity)
True, however it might be even more suspicious if they did NOT show up, especially if they would be expected to be there, being an acquaintance or "friend"...

X&E were watching at home watching a movie at least at midnight per X's Dad; 2 champagne like glasses at crime scene along with microwaveable popcorn; and police stated E&X returned home same time as M&K so it seems likely that X&E left 1122 King Road after movie and then came back to 1122 King Road. Ethan got a perfect parking spot at 1122. Wonder if roommates had a designated parking spot at 1122 King Road.
I wonder if she told her father which movie she was watching? Or I wonder if they ‘rented‘ it through the cable company. If Dad knows which one it was, LE can get the movie listing and the times it aired. If they rented it to watch, LE should also be able to obtain that information, too.
Did they return home from the frat house, watch a movie, then head back out to grab a bite to eat?

Is it a possibility based off the hand print picture that the perp put his hand on the window and moved his face closer to the window to get a better peek before entering the home??! I’d have a hard time believing it would be easy for anyone to get through a window quietly! Gosh knows what’s around you and that kitchen looks like a typical college household before you’ve woken up the next day and cleaned up your home.
in addition, just the physical awkwardness of going through the window. for that moment, you're frozen in place, and it's more suspicious to anyone who did happen to pass by or see.

I just listened to the Ashley Banfield phone call with X's mother. During the conversation, different photos were on rotation, and one of the photos showed a lock on the outside of what I am guessing is a bedroom door. If this is correct, and there is a lock on the outside of the door, how was it breached? Who had the code? Was it a former boyfriend? Was the door left cracked open? Was it a locksmith? Just thinking out loud.
Could anyone, not necessarily the OP, post a pic of what one of these coded locks might look like? I must live a sheltered existence or am just old...I don't think I have ever seen a lock outside a bedroom door in a home.

Many threads ago, a poignant statement was made that the flow of facts surrounding this case will likely be stagnant until a suspect is charged.

LE really is playing for the endgame here. It's easy to get frustrated with how we perceive the investigation is progressing, but that doesn't mean that the investigation has ceased progressing.

Could anyone, not necessarily the OP, post a pic of what one of these coded locks might look like? I must live a sheltered existence or am just old...I don't think I have ever seen a lock outside a bedroom door in a home.
Go to Amazon website and search for keyless door lock, there are many, the ones below are more sophisicated and modern but at least you have an idea

Last edited:
I don't think so, LEO are skilled at deceptive questioning and interrogation. Most crimes are solved based on inconsistent answers to questions, when police question potential suspects, prior to reading them their rights to remain silent.

However, if a person obtains counsel, for any questions from the beginning, LEO won't have an opportunity to attempt to obtain any information, to investigate for discrepancies. The investigation has to be done using evidence to connect the person to the crime for an arrest. Far more difficult than getting a confession, or investigating alibis.
as soon as questioning becomes interrogation, the rights are read, and it does not have to be a formal interrogation. if people think expectation of privacy rights are tricky, the grey area between interview and interrogation becomes a master class for those adept at criminal law defense. and if LE fails to Mirandize at the appropriate point, all that evidence is wrapped into motion to supress and is lost. Yet another topic that's not quite so simple as what's seen on tv.

@SusanA: You asked in the last thread when the FBI became involved. Here is a link to your post:

The thread has been moving fast so perhaps someone has already answered you, but in case not:

The FBI was already assisting by the first Moscow PD press conference on Nov 16. Chief Fry addresses that subject around 1:25 in that press conference. Video of that PC is here (if it doesn't link directly to PC, go down to bottom of page and first one is far right): King Road Homicides | Moscow, ID

I am wondering if the police on the first night followed any footsteps? How could someone kill 4 people with a huge hunting knife and and not have a considerable amount of blood on themself. And could they have changed their clothes in the house and or showered? I havent heard anything about checknig drains for blood. And if they changed their clothes did police go thru the garbage cans and dumpstsers to see if there were any blood clothes in them? It just doesnst seem like they were very proactive in the beginning. And I hope they havent ruled out that the person who commited this crime could be involved in law enforcement. I have watched enough ID shows to know this does happen and should be overlooked. And how do we know there wasnt another person? Not for certain but its only been revealed there was 1 weapon the knife and I believe they can tell if the knife wounds are consistent by depth, angle, which hand etc.to know it was done by 1 person.
The police seized three dumpsters early in the investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madamstraight