ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a bit of a daft question but....

Have any members felt more spooked or been more cautious since they started following the case?
( My OH is away for work and I've noticed am being more security cautious despite being nowhere near Idaho. Normally we don't even lock our doors as we're in a very low crime area)

I've even taken a garden machete* and a kitchen knife..... to bed!! Have just practised my swing* - it needs work
TBH, yes.

I know this sounds judgy but I’ve always been irked by people who have CCWs that open carry. But since this, I have been open carrying everywhere, if just to let anyone who may be thinking of something that I’m armed.

Before this, all I did was conceal.

I believe cremation is more of a personal or religious choice as opposed to a geographical one.

Yes, I mentioned that back when it was 103 pieces but gave benefit of the doubt since it was so early on. But three weeks in - 113 pieces of evidence is not a lot. MOO
Help! Can someone fix all of these quotes on my reply? Idk how I did that and can’t fix it on my phone. Sorry mods!

Have any members felt more spooked or been more cautious since they started following the case?
( My OH is away for work and I've noticed am being more security cautious despite being nowhere near Idaho. Normally we don't even lock our doors as we're in a very low crime area)

I've even taken a garden machete* and a kitchen knife..... to bed!! Have just practised my swing* - it needs work
Yes. We have a big old sliding door I am seriously side-eyeing. Going to try to make that a bit safer and beef up the locking mechanism.

In the meantime I am locking all the doors at night, which I didn't always do before (another low-crime area). And I am also closing all the blinds as soon as it gets dark, which I often didn't bother with.

I am nowhere near Idaho but it made me think. I have been pretty careless in the past. Not sure how much all that helps if someone is seriously determined though...

I was thinking that too. Have you seen the photo of the 2nd floor window with a cinderblock set under it?
Good line of thinking. Do you propose the murderer entered the home whilst the roommates were out-on-the-town only to return at a later date? This is something I wouldn’t rule out. Granted, it means he was able to keep tabs on the roommates either physically, digitally, or a combination of the two.
well, let me preface this with 'I'm not actually a homicidal maniac' but... I totally agree with you, pre-crime access.

what I would have done I to familiarize myself with everything about them. my guess is that he became interested because of peripheral interaction and/or social media looking for a 'type'. once he'd found he perfect girls, I do believe he would have visited. Partly prep, partly power. I think he may have gotten into the house with either a reason or a party, but I also think he returned alone to examine, prey, plant, etc. he probably went in at night while they were there to get comfortable. I also think it would have given him a power rush. 'I have access to you, I can own you at any time' kind of thing. I also see someone in my mind who is powerfully built - whether it's because of bulk or muscle strength, idk, but I think this guy is physically confident and much stronger than he'd look under his bland attire. (Next visual is disturbing) I think he is someone strong enough to stab with one hand while holding another woman down by her throat/neck. I know, not a pretty thought, but this is not. pretty person.

I would not have hidden in the house that night, however. too much risk of discovery. one unpredictable move and there go all the best laid plans. no, I'd have waited in my lair with my AV surveillance. no way I'd have waited inside. trapped.

Might not be a great move telling people you're alone CW!
thanks for that transcript

upsetting to hear the pain but very interesting to see the detail. ( I find it much easier to get an accurate account via transcript, rather than just listening )

just wanted to add re X's dad's account that he seems to be saying that E lived with her but IDK if WSers have established whether he had formally moved out of his other address

not a pleasant thought re the bruises from fighting off an attacker. I hadn't realised he'd specifically mentioned bruise injuries.

sorry but the curfew does not work because you get killed at home in your own bed. you should never go home and you should never go to sleep. The irony to me is that these students were safe at a bar, at a frat,at the food truck, in a car.... just not at home in bed IMO.

You don't know that they were safe at those places. Those places are the perfect locations for predators to stalk their prey. If that's what occurred in this case, and a curfew put in place because of it, then there are fewer chances that someone else would be stalked, followed home, attacked, and killed in their beds.

My opinion.

Last edited:
While scrolling I've noticed there seems to be talk that Xana's dad says Ethan and Xana were watching a movie that night. Can someone please point me in the direction of where they've seen this?.
I just searched the word “movie” in this thread to see if someone had brought that up because I was wondering the same thing!!!

This is what I could find that he actually said:

Xana is one of the victims of the brutal stabbing at the University of Idaho, leaving four college roommates dead on Sunday. “I heard from her I think before we went out,” Kernodle said. “I think midnight was the last time we heard from her and she was fine.”

<snip>

Kernodle is now struggling to understand how this could have happened. Why Xana? “They were just hanging out at home. Xana was just hanging out at home with her boyfriend,” he explained.

IMO I’m not sure if he’s saying they were hanging out at home when he talked to her at midnight or when the murders happened. If it was midnight, we have no way of knowing right now if that was true.

Yes. We have a big old sliding door I am seriously side-eyeing. Going to try to make that a bit safer and beef up the locking mechanism.

In the meantime I am locking all the doors at night, which I didn't always do before (another low-crime area). And I am also closing all the blinds as soon as it gets dark, which I often didn't bother with.

I am nowhere near Idaho but it made me think. I have been pretty careless in the past. Not sure how much all that helps if someone is seriously determined though...
I recommend the Master Lock door security bar to everyone. My house was broken into several years ago and the police officers who responded recommended it. I have one on my front and back doors before I go to bed every night.

Long time lurker here. I work in the home security industry in the uk. Most keypad entry systems can be overridden where the control panel is. Usually next to the fuse board. All someone would need to do is drop the power, and the doors will release, as they would in a fire. There’s always a battery back up but again, very easy to override without tools

well, let me preface this with 'I'm not actually a homicidal maniac' but... I totally agree with you, pre-crime access.

what I would have done I to familiarize myself with everything about them. my guess is that he became interested because of peripheral interaction and/or social media looking for a 'type'. once he'd found he perfect girls, I do believe he would have visited. Partly prep, partly power. I think he may have gotten into the house with either a reason or a party, but I also think he returned alone to examine, prey, plant, etc. he probably went in at night while they were there to get comfortable. I also think it would have given him a power rush. 'I have access to you, I can own you at any time' kind of thing. I also see someone in my mind who is powerfully built - whether it's because of bulk or muscle strength, idk, but I think this guy is physically confident and much stronger than he'd look under his bland attire. (Next visual is disturbing) I think he is someone strong enough to stab with one hand while holding another woman down by her throat/neck. I know, not a pretty thought, but this is not. pretty person.

I would not have hidden in the house that night, however. too much risk of discovery. one unpredictable move and there go all the best laid plans. no, I'd have waited in my lair with my AV surveillance. no way I'd have waited inside. trapped.
I wanted to piggyback off of this reply because you made great points about lowering the risk of being caught.

My question is, if all of that type of planning happened, why use one of the messiest/riskiest weapon choices out there?

IMO: because the perp didn’t care. They just got lucky.

MOO

thanks for that transcript

upsetting to hear the pain but very interesting to see the detail. ( I find it much easier to get an accurate account via transcript, rather than just listening )

just wanted to add re X's dad's account that he seems to be saying that E lived with her but IDK if WSers have established whether he had formally moved out of his other address

not a pleasant thought re the bruises from fighting off an attacker. I hadn't realised he'd specifically mentioned bruise injuries.
You're welcome.

Yeah I don't think it's been confirmed where he lives, but the consensus is that her dad probably just means that Ethan frequently stayed over at Xana's. I think that's probably more accurate.

Yep. I have a vivid imagination anyway, and since I was a child and saw a picture in one of my mother's magazines (innocuous magazine, but had a scary story), I've had a fear of this and always been hyper chicken little, but this has me back to bedroom door block again. it would be very hard to access my place anyway, but why take chances. I also sleep with my phone and a search and rescue whistle by the bed. you can whistle even if you're too scared to scream, and those things travel for miles.

I just searched the word “movie” in this thread to see if someone had brought that up because I was wondering the same thing!!!

This is what I could find that he actually said:

Xana is one of the victims of the brutal stabbing at the University of Idaho, leaving four college roommates dead on Sunday. “I heard from her I think before we went out,” Kernodle said. “I think midnight was the last time we heard from her and she was fine.”

<snip>

Kernodle is now struggling to understand how this could have happened. Why Xana? “They were just hanging out at home. Xana was just hanging out at home with her boyfriend,” he explained.

IMO I’m not sure if he’s saying they were hanging out at home when he talked to her at midnight or when the murders happened. If it was midnight, we have no way of knowing right now if that was true.
Emerald, do you mind searching the thread for ' champagne glasses'
I'm rubbish at using that search functuon

The member who mentioned E & X hanging out at home mentioned he/she'd seen champagne glasses and popcorn & assumed it might be from E & X's movie night. I can't find the member's post - have just been scrolling up & down.

THREAD IS UNLOCKED. CONTINUE PLEASE

Hey Everyone,

I need your help. We need to recognize the great work our moderators do on Websleuths. If you could donate even a dollar to our yearly moderator fundraiser that would be great. Please use one of the following apps to donate

PayPal
Pay Websleuths.com using PayPal.Me
Venmo name Tricia-Griffith-14
OR
Cash App $tgrif14
Bank to Bank using zelle please use the email address triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com
Please be sure to put in the memo "FOR THE MODS"

We understand not everyone can donate. Without donating you can still let our mods know how much you appreciate their work by posting a note of thanks on THIS THREAD if you cannot donate.

Every penny raised goes to the moderators.
Thank you
Tricia

Last edited:
Emerald, do you mind searching the thread for ' champagne glasses'
I'm rubbish at using that search functuon

The member who mentioned E & X hanging out at home mentioned he/she'd seen champagne glasses and popcorn & assumed it might be from E & X's movie night. I can't find the member's post - have just been scrolling up & down.
Is this it?

Post in thread 'ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 20'
ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 20

I was thinking that too. Have you seen the photo of the 2nd floor window with a cinderblock set under it?
What do you think about enter on the second, exit on the third either balcony/jump or climb out the far left window or middle window of the 3rd floor (looking from parking area) onto the roof of the second floor and jump to the side yard and up to the side road? From what I can see in pictures posted, all front windows are side sliders with a front door. Second floor windows are up and down opening with a sliding glass door, third floor windows are side sliders (one with an A/C unit so doubtful on that side), and sliding glass door. From what I can tell, I don’t think there are any windows on the sides of the house. After I saw the Fox Digital pictures posted today I started looking at all the windows. I thought 2nd floor roof when I caught a bit of yesterday‘s service and saw a photo of XK (at 2:17:36 w/ friend in black top) sitting on what looked like a roof (shingles in picture) and it looked like the blue house and fencing we’ve seen in many pictures….I have no idea if it is, but it made me look at the second floor roof/window lay out!…..just a thought!

I wanted to piggyback off of this reply because you made great points about lowering the risk of being caught.

My question is, if all of that type of planning happened, why use one of the messiest/riskiest weapon choices out there?

IMO: because the perp didn’t care. They just got lucky.

MOO

my answer: Thrill. The need to use that weapon, get in their face, and take a risky weapon and be perfect. like I'm going to go to all that and just shoot them?? noooooo. knife. I don't want to torture them or delay, either. knife. terrifying.

I’ve started putting the dowel I’ve never used in my slider door…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab