NC NC - Madalina Cojocari, 11, reported Missing Dec 2022 three Weeks After Last Seen, Cornelius, *Parents Arrested* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that appears to be the case and LE has confirmed. Here’s the arrest report which explains how it unfolded:

Basically the school attempted a home visit but no one answered the door so they left a truancy packet. Then the counselor finally convinced Diana to come in with Madalina to discuss her absences.

When Diana showed up without Madalina the counselor requested the resource officer to sit in on the meeting. Diana then disclosed that Madalina was missing and the officer filed a report with Cornelius police.
Thank you! That’s what I thought but I wanted to make sure.

How long does it take a school in NC, legally speaking, to report a missing student?

There have been 3 weeks within which nobody at that school gave a damn about Madalina's absence.
In NC, a student has to have 10 consecutive unexcused absences before a school can start a truancy investigation/truancy proceedings.

She was at school on 11/21, confirmed by the bus stop video.
11/23-11/25 were Thanksgiving break so, technically, she only missed 11/28 - 12/9 which is 10 days.
The following week (the week of 12/12) is when the school started truancy proceedings. I don’t want to quote exact dates so as to not be wrong (they should be in the case timeline by @wnk ) but the counselor and SRO dropped off a truancy packet early in the week of 12/12, called to follow up a day or two later to make sure DC got the packet, then the following day is when DC went to the school.

Thankfully, the school did as they are required, otherwise we wouldn’t know MC was missing. That said, 10 consecutive days seems a bit long, IMO, and should be shortened.

Three weeks... three weeks, neither the school nor the so called parents "noticed" Madalina's absence...what's going on?
The school noticed. The school called. The school tried to reach out. The school went for a home visit. The school was concerned. This was far beyond any effort made by the parents.

"After ten (10) accumulated unexcused absences, the principal shall review any report or investigation prepared by the school social worker/student assistance program in accordance with G.S. 115C-381."

Madalina was absent 10 school days, 11th missed day - guidance counselor and SRO planned home visit, 12th missed day - they went together to the home. No one answered the door. Truancy packet left. The mother called the school and arranged a meeting. She said that she would bring Madalina with her.

All states have different truancy laws and protocol to follow.

Do you have children? Have your children ever missed multiple days due to an illness? What about an illness such as Covid? Pretty common for students to miss a minimum of a week if they have Covid. IMO, Covid has changed things. Students are frequently missing an excess of a week. It wouldn't raise red flags like it might have prior to Covid. The whole family could have come down with Covid and be caring for each other.

I wish people would quit blaming the school. Bailey Middle School is a great school, with caring teachers and a wonderful Principal. The parents deserve ALL the blame.

In NC, a student has to have 10 consecutive unexcused absences before a school can start a truancy investigation/truancy proceedings.

She was at school on 11/21, confirmed by the bus stop video.
11/23-11/25 were Thanksgiving break so, technically, she only missed 11/28 - 12/9 which is 10 days.
The following week (the week of 12/12) is when the school started truancy proceedings. I don’t want to quote exact dates so as to not be wrong (they should be in the case timeline by @wnk ) but the counselor and SRO dropped off a truancy packet early in the week of 12/12, called to follow up a day or two later to make sure DC got the packet, then the following day is when DC went to the school.

Thankfully, the school did as they are required, otherwise we wouldn’t know MC was missing. That said, 10 consecutive days seems a bit long, IMO, and should be shortened.
The school can't comment on the case. We really don't know what they doing during those consecutive 10 days. After 3 days, the teacher may have personally called. After 6 days, the counselor or Principal may have called. We don't know if they received any response back during that time or if DC/CP simply ignored them.

IMO, it's clear that DC stalled the investigation an extra couple of days because the truancy packet was left on Monday, DC called on Tuesday and arranged a meeting promising to bring Madalina, she showed up on Wednesday without Madalina. LE began a criminal investigation at that time.

The school noticed. The school called. The school tried to reach out. The school went for a home visit. The school was concerned. This was far beyond any effort made by the parents.

"After ten (10) accumulated unexcused absences, the principal shall review any report or investigation prepared by the school social worker/student assistance program in accordance with G.S. 115C-381."

Madalina was absent 10 school days, 11th missed day - guidance counselor and SRO planned home visit, 12th missed day - they went together to the home. No one answered the door. Truancy packet left. The mother called the school and arranged a meeting. She said that she would bring Madalina with her.

All states have different truancy laws and protocol to follow.

Do you have children? Have your children ever missed multiple days due to an illness? What about an illness such as Covid? Pretty common for students to miss a minimum of a week if they have Covid. IMO, Covid has changed things. Students are frequently missing an excess of a week. It wouldn't raise red flags like it might have prior to Covid. The whole family could have come down with Covid and be caring for each other.

I wish people would quit blaming the school. Bailey Middle School is a great school, with caring teachers and a wonderful Principal. The parents deserve ALL the blame.
"The school noticed. The school called. The school tried to reach out." - yes, it did: after three weeks, it's a fact, and nobody's blaming the school here, and this has nothing to do with Covid or other illnesses. A good mother would have reported her child's illness to the school for absence, which is not the case here.

"The school noticed. The school called. The school tried to reach out." - yes, it did: after three weeks, it's a fact, and nobody's blaming the school here, and this has nothing to do with Covid or other illnesses. A good mother would have reported her child's illness to the school for absence, which is not the case here.
You can't count the Thanksgiving holiday and weekend. School was back in session after Thanksgiving on 11/28. They were on the doorstep of the Palmiter/Cojocari household exactly 2 weeks later.

You say that nobody's blaming the school, but your post below certainly sounds like blame to me.
There have been 3 weeks within which nobody at that school gave a damn about Madalina's absence.

We have covered opinions on this subject extensively in earlier threads.
LE has not given many details on this case, and so all we can do is speculate.
JMO.

The school can't comment on the case. We really don't know what they doing during those consecutive 10 days. After 3 days, the teacher may have personally called. After 6 days, the counselor or Principal may have called. We don't know if they received any response back during that time or if DC/CP simply ignored them.

IMO, it's clear that DC stalled the investigation an extra couple of days because the truancy packet was left on Monday, DC called on Tuesday and arranged a meeting promising to bring Madalina, she showed up on Wednesday without Madalina. LE began a criminal investigation at that time.
DC was so shook up about truancy threat she finally decided to say something. At this point, I wonder what did she think would happen once she was reported missing? Did DC do something to Madalina after the reported fight? Did CP return to the home after he left and leave or hurt Madalina at that time. They need to be held in solitary or the worst conditions at thr jail until they tell where Madalina is.

Wonder why the judge had a higher bond for the mother than the father. Guess who most everyone suspects...
We believe it is because she has relatives abroad, and originates from a foreign country. She (mother) might have ties to places where the she can NOT be extradited to face charges in the USA.
DC might not be a US citizen yet and might hold more than one passport. Even without a passport, people get in and out of the country. Hence the ankle monitor order if DC (& step-dad) are released.
This was discussed in thread #1, but that’s about 50 pages of reading to locate WS Member thoughts on this.

As this case progresses, (and I’m hoping good, solid evidence is found) ….. they raise both their bonds into the million $ range.
I want neither escaping justice for Madalina, regardless if she is alive, deceased, drugged, sold into the sex trade, the weird cult like religious views, or any other theory out there.

Hope fades for me every passing hour. With the snow storm of the century occurring between her home and the supposed step dad’s trip to Michigan, any evidence might be buried until spring thaw, unfortunately.

Re MC's school attendance, I am not an attendance officer but my first thought would have been that the family went to Moldova for a longer visit than school rules allotted for, not this horror. In my experience, it's not all that unusual for families with out of country relatives to overstay. In any case, from what I've read, it does appear that the school followed the law and proper protocol.

Also, if anyone is interested, apparently Moldova does not have an extradition treaty with the US. So if DC was able to get there, she'd have been out of the reach of the US legal system.

Countries with no extradition treaty with US

These countries currently have no extradition treaty with the United States:
www.wsfa.com
www.wsfa.com

Last edited:
Maybe DC finally found a way to report M missing that CP couldn't blame her for?

If M is indeed in the backyard under the remains of the fire, :(, then why did CP drive all the way to Michigan?
IDK but it's possible he was just trying to distance himself from the whole thing to LE, the same as when he said he hadn't seen MC for a week before he left for Michigan (if he even really went to Michigan).

Christopher Palmiter graduated from Grand Ledge High School in Michigan. Some of the family have moved outside of that area but it was still home for a majority. Grand Ledge is a very small rural farming town. Population under 10K. IMO, it's the type of town where "everyone knows everyone".

I don't know how often CP visited family in Michigan but I assume that it was a route that he was very familiar with. If I were CP doing what many of us speculate he was doing on that drive, I would have my phone turned off so towers aren't pinged and I would take a detour somewhere off the main route. I'm afraid that CP may be the only person that knows Madalina's exact location.

Per Google Maps, from Mecklenberg, NC to Grand Ledge High School:

NC; West Virginia; Columbus, Ohio; Michigan or NC; WV; Dayton, Ohio; Indiana; Michigan.

Anyone familiar with highway camera locations?

Agree that toll roads could be a big help!

From link below - Dec 30. 2022
.....CORNELIUS, N.C. — An assistant district attorney with Mecklenburg County told Channel 9 Friday that all search warrants connected with the case of missing 11-year-old Madalina Cojocari have been temporarily sealed by the court.

Authorities returned to the Cornelius home on Dec. 21 to execute a search warrant. Investigators took several items from the home. It is unclear what they took. Those details will not be known until they are talked about inside a courtroom, or the warrants are unsealed....

From link below - Dec 30. 2022
.....CORNELIUS, N.C. — An assistant district attorney with Mecklenburg County told Channel 9 Friday that all search warrants connected with the case of missing 11-year-old Madalina Cojocari have been temporarily sealed by the court.

Authorities returned to the Cornelius home on Dec. 21 to execute a search warrant. Investigators took several items from the home. It is unclear what they took. Those details will not be known until they are talked about inside a courtroom, or the warrants are unsealed....

I find this encouraging. The sealing part. It gives me hope that something in that warrant or the resulting seized items feels like a credible lead to LE, hence the seal. Fingers crossed LE has productive leads that eventually get us to answers.

Per Google Maps, from Mecklenberg, NC to Grand Ledge High School:

NC; West Virginia; Columbus, Ohio; Michigan or NC; WV; Dayton, Ohio; Indiana; Michigan.

Anyone familiar with highway camera locations?

Agree that toll roads could be a big help!
3 tolls on I 77 in WV.
Near Ghent, North Beckley and Chelyan.

Edit-I do believe there are cameras as I have received a mailed warning from EZ Pass regarding the speed limit through the tolls.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member