ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 45

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t seen this posted yet-still catching up-but I want to ask first-is TMZ considered to be an MSM allowable source? TIA

KTBV

all IMHO

So just throwing this out there.
Public defender Lebar says BK is “MENTALLY STABLE“ in NBC KTBV interview per above link. Defender throws that in there when being asked about BK’s previous drug use and such.

Lebar will be passing the buck in the next day or two to Idaho but he wants to be sure the world knows that BK is not going to get anywhere with an insanity defense.

I think some of these defenders must privately LOATH and despise their assigned clients.

again IMHO

There is always that presumption of “how in the world” can they actually believe their client is innocent. I think most of the time they don‘t believe it (public defenders) but they are walking a tightrope- required to defend the guilty (or innocent upon occasion.)
There is no insanity defense in Idaho.

And any criminal defense (public or otherwise) attorney signaling culpability of a defendant or injecting personal opinions pro-guilt or responsibility is going to be subject to potential censure or disbarment, as it would potentially be a violation of any state's professional responsibility rules around advocacy.

The statement was [likely] meant to address to Kohberer's current capacity to make his apparent decision not to fight extradition. As well, it counters speculation that BCK is suicidal (which is often interpreted by the public as another suggestion of guilt). This reading is supported by LeBar's added statement that BCK believes he will be exonerated.

I am rarely caught up enough to post on this tread but here I am. I keep having this thought.....if LE was on to BK before the cross country road trip with dad, how sure could they be that dad was safe? I keep getting the heebeegeebies thinking about them in a hotel together. I mean....I know it is his dad but kids do bad things to their parents.
it just all sits bad with me. MOO but I am guessing the 2 stops by LE on the way were welfare checks? But how could that ensure dad's safety? I literally get creeped out thinking of his dad sleeping next to him in a hotel room. Yikes. MOO
I think they were just shy of the evidence needed for an arrest, so they had eyes on him. Could have been pulled over for welfare check or maybe they lost him a couple times. They allowed for him to be (sleep interact with people) at the family home as well as with dad on the cross country trip because they were waiting for enough to arrest him. I don't know if the Elantra is big enough to slouch down for a nap? Maybe they couldn't see one of the occupants for an extended period and had them pulled over? Hopefully we will find out or the body cams will be released?

Anyone who decides to kill others like this has to be somewhat dumb, IMO. Their emotions and desires overcome logic, I think. And once they’re actually committing the crime, or in the process of planning it, it’s hard for them to visualize every detail that could cause them to be caught. Because it’s personal for them. They’re emotionally invested in it.

More simply, anyone who thinks killing others is a solution to their problems or a “fun” thing that they decide they should do, isn’t functioning on a logical level. It’s irrational. (I believe).

P.S. I certainly hope he was dumb!
There is one common denominator among murderers: they all believe they are committing the perfect crime and are smarter than everyone else, including the police. So, they make stupid mistakes---- at least most get caught: we don't hear about the ones that actually do get away with murder--- they are definitely out there. Those murderers represent cold cases that are never solved.

IMO, the theory of an actual car makes more sense for reasons you stated. It would also explain the addition of 60 more FBI agents added to the case on December 19th. It would make sense, IMO, for them to have a kind of relay race hand-off going on at certain checkpoints to avoid a specific car detail being detected by BK.

ETA date additional FBI agents added
If BCA was to dump evidence on the trip back to Pennsylvania, and the FBI was checking each stop, hopefully the defense couldn't argue on chain of custody probability

I was just thinking a few minutes ago about where I’d hide a weapon. My first thoughts were to duct tape it somewhere that’s not even really hidden. Like on the inside top of my dresser drawer. Or on top of ceiling fan blade. Lol.
The Purloined Letter by EA Poe. Hidden in plain sight, the police couldn't find it, they had only looked in places they would have chosen. If you have 2 different storage rooms, or closets, fasten one with a super hefty lock and hide your item in the unlocked place.

Out here in the west, we drive a considerable ways to travel by air, especially now that air travel is so chaotic and expensive. Is that also true in the Eastern part of the US if you’re in a rural area?

Depends what you would call "a considerable ways". I live in a small city in New England that has a decent sized airport, but the prices to fly out of here tend to be high and the flight times can be inconvenient, so when we want to fly somewhere we'll check out larger airports that are up to 4 hours away. Lots of my friends do the same thing.

It probably doesn't mean anything...but do y'all remember that there was an HVAC repair van that was at the 1122 King property just a couple of days after the killings? I always thought it was odd that LE seemingly called in a air conditioning and heating company to the crime scene so close after the murders.
I might guess that having an HVAC expert come inspect the ducts is standard crime scene processing for any house with ductwork? Especially if it appears there might be evidence located inside, such as blood spatter, a hidden weapon, or worse (thinking of poor Kelsey Berreth's tooth).

As for the halting of cleaning on arrest day, I think CSI had previously collected all evidence they could find, and waited as long as seemed prudent before starting the process of returning the house to its owner (starting with the post-CSI cleaning).

But once they knew someone was about to be arrested, the court instructed them to pause just in case BK talked and gave information that would lead them to look somewhere they hadn't or find any evidence they had previously missed. This is just my guess. Assuming BK doesn't talk anytime soon, I'll guess that maybe the cleaning will resume in a few days to a few weeks.

And yes, they do need to make sure the pipes don't freeze in the meantime, so I'm sure the heating has been left in a functioning condition, whether that meant a repair was required first or not.

I'm rather afraid that when all is known to the public (probably not before trial), there will be some really unpleasant/gory/graphic scenarios described. I feel like that is what prompted MPD to describe the killings as targeted in the first place.

All my speculation and opinions.

Last edited:
Pure speculation.

If BK is" looking forward to exonerating himself.

Do you think he went to one of the parties.. blended in as best he could. Toured the whole house ( to get his bearingS). so was in each room ( far fetched.. ?) . IF LE has an item that they found in his apartment that belonged to one of the victims , he can claim he was given it? Took it at the party? Can confirm by witnesses that he was there? WHAT IF the item is on social media photo shares and it precedes the crime and ALSO precedes this party visit. I am creating, probably silly, as a theory as part of his exonerating defense

All the above is MO Speculation.. jelly bean theory.

Hope , as he is LE's only suspect, that his DNA is layered on top of the crime and directly connected to their bodies , no door nobs.. surfaces..etc This DNA comment is based on an entry here at Websleuths from a DNA scientist who stated that the DNA would have to come from the direct contact with the victims. I am sorry I have no link and should have saved, thus it is just fluff but it seemed logical.
MOO

thoughts?

Agree. I am not the DNA scientist you quoted, but I can try to explain how this works, forensically (and this is in manuals for forensic anthropology - and is in the operating manuals of the FBI and most state police labs too).

There is a zone called the "intimate" zone of the victim. That's the victim's body, clothing, and blood. It is the first focus and collected very very carefully, in a process similar to doing delicate archaeological work.

Then there are intermediate and distant zones within the crime scene. Ideally, one wants to find the perp DNA in all those places. Finding it on the door knob is fine - as long as there's also intimate zone DNA. It paints the whole picture.

I still can't figure out how he left his DNA at the scene in the intimate, aside from self-injury, and now I'm wondering if he did not wear a mask. Did he not wear a hat? Surely...he wore gloves, right? But I'd think he would have tried to cover as much of his skin as he could - but maybe not. Perhaps it is DNA from victims' skin (sweat, saliva, eyelashes). Maybe Xana's hands or arms came in contact with some skin. If so, just another example of him planning poorly. The arm contact idea is iffy, but possible. We will find out soon enough, because I believe we'll get the full PCA.

It's intriguing that he paid for a Master's program and then, apparently, failed to actually write a proper thesis and needed a kind of exemption to graduate (and convinced the instructor he was brilliant, even though she never met him). He may have a pattern of fantasizing his deeds rather than actually doing them and carrying them out properly. I'd love to know whether his utterances in his doctoral classes were specifically on point (to the readings) or whether he was just giving extemporaneous speeches, using big words.

In the context of all the other evidence, if he stole something from 1122 King Road or otherwise leaves any evidence that he was there, his goose is even more cooked, IMO. Doesn't exonerate him at all.

He's thinking that because he left his cell phone home that night or for some other set of reasons, he can "exonerate" himself. That smacks of a person who has talked his way out of every wrong he ever did and has not suffered any or many consequences for bad behavior in the past. We *all* have performed some form of negative behavior and had a reason for a parent or teacher to point it out (late assignments is the example here; in this case his lateness and irresponsibility in getting data for his thesis was overlooked and even papered over by the professor). It's a hard one, as most universities these days are not-so-subtly encouraging profs to go a little easier on the students.

It may have been a lifelong pattern in the life of BCK, that people came to his aid rather than administered negative consequences for negative behaviors. And some people's personalities seem to invite that kind of exchange. I will say that I have been persuaded by a tale of woe from a student, only to find out later that I maybe ought not to have been persuaded. It took a long time for me to develop checks, balances and a certain kind of fairness/toughness.

Last edited:
Yes. There are. Or at least somewhat functional. But it is rare, I think. To be a heroin/opioid addict? First, you need money. Second, you need to be able to obtain the drug. Third, people tend to need more and more to get high.

All together, it seems very difficult for someone to maintain a job and get good grades in college under those circumstances.

That being said, this guy is described as being OCD with food, at least. So it is possible he was “disciplined” when it came to drug use and trying to simply maintain.
It depends how one thinks of the addiction and the definitions change. As I mentioned earlier I stopped smoked cigarettes' 15 years ago but I consider myself a nicotine addict that has to stay completely away from tobacco.

This guy could have are one time been a light, moderate or heavy user of opiates and just not a user currently. He still can be considered addicted, an addict. Brain scans of people with substance addiction show affects/receptors etc that can be seen decades later. Also he could have multiple relapses' as well as many periods of non-use.

As far as this guy and food, it isn't just about possible OCD. while many many vegans are just regular people otherwise, many vegans really wear it on their sleeve and are extremely judgmental and nasty to people who are not vegans. Part of their identity is being vegan and a good deal of their interactions are condemnatory of peopel who are not.

The food issue also goes to the prior contact with victims, one or two of whom worked at one of the more well known vegan restaurants. That may have been where the alleged perp initially came into contact with the victims.

My clinical work is in neuro, not psych, but IME any competent evaluator will base that evaluation on a preponderance rather than single test or even small suite before subjecting results to a stats analysis, making it difficult to do more than tilt results.

But I'm not sure why BCK would want to fail a psych eval -- if he's pleased with what he's done he'll want the credit for it, and if he's looking for a way out I don't see any clear path to an insanity defence given his behaviour prior to or after the alleged crimes.
That makes sense. Thanks for explaining. :) I would also think it would be pretty tough to convince a judge that he's sane enough to pass a doctor's level semester in Criminology but too crazy to be held accountable for killing someone.

The Purloined Letter by EA Poe. Hidden in plain sight, the police couldn't find it, they had only looked in places they would have chosen. If you have 2 different storage rooms, or closets, fasten one with a super hefty lock and hide your item in the unlocked place.

Years ago two guys broke open a sliding door on a train car, said it took long time with crowbar finally got it open only to see the door on the side was open.

Nothing inside.

IMO if they somehow find "the knife" or a knife unless they can tie it back to BK some way including DNA it really does not mean much.

The county coroner said toxicology won't be relevant. I think carbon monoxide has instant blood markers so they would have some idea of that by now.

I think it was a mix of victims being:
1. asleep and drowsy
2. intoxicated
3. totally in shock (many sober, awake people would be frozen silent in this situation anyway)
4. element of surprise by a fairly large man - only E really stood a chance physically, IMO BK incapacitated them fairly quickly and they were stabbed in a way that they physically were not going to be screaming
5: roommates being in what was a former garage, + living in a party house - so lower level both fairly well insulated, and used to lots of noise. If they were drunk as well they could have slept through it no problem.

Bundy killed multiple in the Chi O house and there were 30+ girls there who heard nothing. I think the movies really overestimate the amount of screaming from a person being stabbed
IMO, if the offender put a substance in the vents to incapacitate the victims he himself would also suffer the effects of that substance. So that theory, IMO is unlikely.

I haven’t seen this posted yet-still catching up-but I want to ask first-is TMZ considered to be an MSM allowable source? TIA
Sometimes you can find different sources for the same info. Was it this?

BK and father were pulled over twice in Indiana while driving to PA.

Maybe so, but he doesn't miss an opportunity to talk when asked. Not certain that's a good idea. It looks like he gained a client in representing BCK's parents, if I read that correctly.
@rescuemom "It looks like he gained a client in representing BCK's parents, if I read that correctly."
Briefly, IDK if LaBar gained BCK's parents as clients; I doubt the release can be read "correctly."

Not so briefly.
LaBar's press release implies he reps fam by virtue of including them (rather generically, the K. FAMILY, PARENTS, not w given names) and reporting their sympathy for students’ families, cooperation w LE, etc.
If LaBar is not representing them, and if they did not authorize and approve the release, why did LaBar say that?
[[[EDIT: Was behind on reading thread, so now deleting my comment about no letterhead. @Cindizzi TYVM for your post, showing a new Tweet w the complete release on PD letterhead. TYVM @Cindizzi. Always spot on]]]

The release does not seem to speak on BCK’s behalf (except to mention presumption of innocence) but closes w LaBar's specific role in the judicial proceedings, rep’ing BCK:
“Jason Allen LaBar, Esq.
Chief Public Defender
Counsel for Mr. Kohberger.”

If parents/family had not actually engaged LaBar as their counsel, seems imo he may have taken "LIBERTIES" in phrasing press release to imply/state? they had. ICBW.

Last edited:
This stuck out for me: "According to LaBar, Kohberger's dad had flown into Seattle, to Spokane and then drove into Pullman to get his son and drive back to Pennsylvania during the holiday. It was a planned trip." I had no problem with the idea of him flying out and driving back in BK's car, but this trip sounds really convoluted. If he went from ABE in Allentown, I can't find a direct flight to Seattle, and the flights add up to nine hours or so. Maybe he went from Philly? Did he leave a car at one of those airports? Then another 1+hour to Spokane? Did BK pick him up in Spokane and they drove from there? Did the dad spend the night in Pullman before starting this drive? This is beginning to sound like a trip that was "planned" qsometime after November 13, for a very specific reason.
Today on Expedia.com the flights to Sea-Tac and Spokane from Philadelphia were comparable in price, but often two-leg flights are cheaper. Also if dad has miles on, say, Delta, he’d go with Delta offers. (And he might have established an account with Alaska Airlines or Delta, planning to visit his son in WSU). Consider that the ticket might need to be refundable, if purchased in advance, and it becomes even a bigger headache. And it is also one-way, even more problematic. JMO. “Convoluted” usually means, “cheaper”.
Strictly from my traveller’s experience, often flights from NJ or NYC are cheaper than from Philly.

Last edited:
What boxer pointed out is that a 2011-2013 Elantra has completely different wheels than a 2015 Elantra. If LE has video with 2011-2013 wheels, it won't match a 2015. Now, could LE have been asking about the wrong years but had 2015 wheels in the video? Sure. But the assumption was LE was asking about 2011-2013 because that is what they saw in the video. I, personally, thought they HAD to have narrowed down by lights and wheels because those changed in 2014.

If video shows 2014 and later wheels, yay. If not, that's going to be a tough sell that a 2015 was there if that is needed for prosecution. If not needed for prosecution, no worries.
I just went and googled the different model years and found some for sale on Carvana, etc., and found multiple wheel styles in each year. So not sure that's such a big deal after all. I hope these links come through properly. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member