ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 52

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, but all they can prove is that the knife was his and his car was in the area often, and D claims to have seen him in the house with a mask on. He can claim the knife was stolen and that he liked to drive around a lot and that D saw someone else, someone who is 5'10, not 6 feet tall like he is. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
"all they can prove"? This is just the probable cause affidavit and not their entire case. And good luck to him explaining why the sheath to his knife was found next to her body, in the intimate zone, without the knife in it. I would personally love to see the jurors faces if he testified that he just likes driving around a lot, particularly on the street where the murder took place. But only late at night or early in the morning. And D's statement was that the person was "at least" 5'10", not exactly 5'10". I thought her description was really excellent considering that the killer was moving toward and past her, and we don't know the light levels. She couldn't have done much better on the description unless she had whipped out her phone and taken a picture of this person. MOO :)

I think the timeline LE had been giving for a while was 3:00 to 4:00. But in reality it was right around 4:15-4:20.

The combination of D.M.'s statements to law enforcement, reviews of forensic downloads of
records from B.F. and D.M.'s phone, and video of a suspect video as described below leads investigators to
believe the homicides occurred between 4:00 a.m.and 4:25 am.
From the PCA it looks like LE is saying the murders took place between 4:00 and 4:25 am. So around a 25 minute time frame.

ETA. Maybe the timeline is tighter. The PCA states that the suspect vehicle left the King area at 4:20 am.

Suspect Vehicle I is next seen departing the area of the King Road Residence at approximately 4:20 a.m. at a high rate of speed

Last edited:
Unless we were in "her shoes" at that moment - we have no idea how we would react in that same situation. My opinion only -IMO we are in no position to judge her actions. She is not the killer - she is a victim. I would do nothing but extend grace to this child - she has a hard road ahead without the media and internet questioning her actions - JUST IMO
Yes. I'm disappointed the PCA leaves her open so many questions. They really should have closed that loop since she is a victim. I feel terrible for her being caught in this PCA release shock unable to explain her actions, which are likely completely understandable with just a few simple details.
JMO

It disturbs me so much (SO MUCH!) that he returned to the house at ~9am. Was he confident that LE would not have been contacted yet, despite knowing that D saw him? If so, what was the reason for his confidence?
WHAT? Where did you glean that he returned to the house??

Timeline from between 4am and 4:20am as detailed in PCA.
Approx 4am: XK collects DoorDash order.
Approx 4am: DM hears what she believes to be KG playing with her dog on the 3rd floor.
A short time later: DM hears someone she thinks is KG saying like 'There's someone here.' DM opens her bedroom door, looks out and does not see anyone. LE indicates this may have been XK as her phone indicates she was awake and using TikTok on her phone at 4:12am.
Unspecified time: DM hears what she believes to be crying coming from XK's room, DM opens her door for a second time and hears a male voice say something to the effect of, 'it's okay, I'm going to help you.'
4:17am: Dog is heard barking on a security camera. Camera also picks up audio sounds of voices or a whimper followed by a loud thud.
Unspecified time: DM opens her door for a third time and sees a figure clad in black clothing and a mask covering their mouth and nose walking towards her, the male walked past DM and towards the sliding doors.
4:20am: Suspect vehicle seen departing area of King Road residence at a high speed.

My opinion on the timeline is that XK stopped using TikTok when she made the statement 'there is someone here' around 04:12am. DM said she thought KG made that statement but LE included that it may have been XK, I think LE included this detail because the LE timeline may indicate that XK and EC were killed first.
Between 04:12 and 04:17 BK murders XK and EC.
At 04:17 BK goes to the third floor, hence the dog barking and kills MM and KG.
Tight to be in the car and speeding away at 04:20 but the only other thing I could think is, the murders upstairs were done at 04:17 and BK lifted the dog and threw it into a room, causing the whimper, thud and subsequent barking? (A point to add, not all vegans are animal lovers, some hate animals and hate the thought of eating from them, I believe one of the more infamous school shooters fitted that criteria.)

I wondered if perhaps XK had to walk round the front of the house to collect the door dash order, thus exiting through the sliding glass doors, if BK was watching the house he may have taken his chance to enter, hidden somewhere and waited around 10 mins until the knew XK was in bed before attacking? I can't see a timeline where he attacks MM and KG first.
Updated OP

Last edited:

That explains why the 1st cop’s camera was pointed at the car door and the 2nd cop had his arm in the frame, they weren’t trying to get footage of his hands. Otherwise I’d recommend a class in cinematography for their bodycams.

-Took his phone with him while stalking the house multiple times
-Drove his own car
-Left the sheath behind with his DNA on it
-Left a living witness

Amateur.

This is what I understand as well. I think the "there's someone here" was Xana (who was awake, just received Door Dash and was on TikTok) and the "It's ok, I am going to help you" was Ethan. It is too bad he didn't just leave after being upstairs. It makes me wonder if E or X confronted him? Unless his plan was to come to them as well. He could have taken DM as well, but he didn't. She was frozen with fear. Perhaps he left her because he was exhausted, or she was never a target.

I think he wanted to use a particular killing method, involving sleeping people and people lying on beds with bedclothes. He was trying to minimize his contact with blood. He knew that such a method would make his own practiced style of knife use feasible. He even chose where he stabbed/placed the knife wounds in advance and a standing victim was not in his play book (she likely would have screamed, as well).

He is, IMO, the kind of person who is very compulsive/rule-bound and strictly plans out his daily life, perhaps down to minute details. He has a hard time reversing or changing course. Linear and analytic in his thinking, he has chosen tasks in the past that use those mind skills, but has not functionally shown any of the flexibility that actually leads to success for most people, analytic or not.

My thoughts on DM. No one can prepare themselves for how they will act in an emergency. I have been in situations (not nearly as serious as this) where I could have acted right away but I froze instead. My bet is that as soon as she was able to get back to her room and lock the door, she completely froze...terrified to even take a breath in case he was coming back around. She didn't sleep, she likely didn't even move, and perhaps she didn't even have her phone in the same room. I am guessing it wasn't until the other roomate woke up that she allowed herself to emerge, and given the experience she just went through I bet she is the one who passed out when she came outside. The other roomate, not having had experienced any trauma (yet) would have placed the 911 call.

Timeline from between 4am and 4:20am as detailed in PCA.
Approx 4am: XK collects DoorDash order.
Approx 4am: DM hears what she believes to be KG playing with her dog on the 3rd floor.
A short time later: DM hears someone she thinks is KG saying like 'There's someone here.' DM opens her bedroom door, looks out and does not see anyone. LE indicates this may have been XK as her phone indicates she was awake and using TikTok on her phone at 4:12am.
Unspecified time: DM hears what she believes to be crying coming from XK's room, DM opens her door for a second time and hears a male voice say something to the effect of, 'it's okay, I'm going to help you.'
4:17am: Dog is heard barking on a security camera. Camera also picks up audio sounds of voices or a whimper followed by a loud thud.
Unspecified time: DM opens her door for a third time and sees a figure clad in black clothing and a mask covering their mouth and nose walking towards her, the male walked past DM and towards the sliding doors.
4:20am: Suspect vehicle seen departing area of King Road residence at a high speed.

My opinion on the timeline is that XK stopped using TikTok when she made the statement 'there is someone here' around 04:12am. DM said she thought KG made that statement but LE included that it may have been XK, I think LE included this detail because the LE timeline may indicate that XK and EC were killed first.
Between 04:12 and 04:17 BK murders XK and EC.
At 04:17 BK goes to the third floor, hence the dog barking and kills MM and KG.
Tight to be in the car and speeding away at 04:20 but the only other thing I could think is, the murders upstairs were done at 04:17 and BK lifted the dog and threw it into a room, causing the whimper, thud and subsequent barking? (A point to add, not all vegans are animal lovers, some hate animals and hate the thought of eating from them, I believe one of the more infamous school shooters fitted that criteria.)

I wondered if perhaps XK had to walk round the front of the house to collect the door dash order, thus exiting through the sliding glass doors, if BK was watching the house he may have taken his chance to enter, hidden somewhere and waited around 10 mins until the knew XK was in bed before attacking? I can't see a timeline where he attacks MM and KG first.
My only issue with this is that DM saw the killer walking towards her, past her, and then out the sliding door. That describes the direction he would have walked coming from X's room. If he had come from the upstairs, he would not have been walking past her to get to the sliding door. JMO. Unless he went back to X's room for some reason before leaving, but I don't think so. JMO.

There’s an entire page of redacted info after
Yes. I'm disappointed the PCA leaves her open so many questions. They really should have closed that loop since she is a victim. I feel terrible for her being caught in this PCA release shock unable to explain her actions, which are likely completely understandable with just a few simple details.
JMO
the paragraph about her if I’m viewing the page correctly.

My only issue with this is that DM saw the killer walking towards her, past her, and then out the sliding door. That describes the direction he would have walked coming from X's room. If he had come from the upstairs, he would not have been walking past her to get to the sliding door. JMO. Unless he went back to X's room for some reason before leaving, but I don't think so. JMO.
Yes ! I realised this and followed my post up… This would mean DM saw him before he had killed MM and KG…

If BK left the knife sheath in Maddie's room, it's possible that Maddie and/or Kaylee were the first victims.
I believe he could have first went to the top floor, to MM? Perhaps his intention was not to kill her per se but to commit a sexual act or voyeurism, but was confronted by her, she resisted him, or he was spotted because she awoke.

He may have been disturbed by KG during or just following his attack on MM, perhaps as he was trying to leave? He was then aware of or saw others who were awake in the home, EC and XK, and decided to kill them.

Of course, entering a property with an offensive weapon is aggravating, and its goes to his intention or mens rea to commit murder (or serious harm), as well as his premediation or preparation to murder (or cause serious harm), but facts such as this could help to lower his culpability in some way - he was intending (and was prepared for) a sexual attack - and had not planned/premediated murder (or serious harm).

Just my own opinion, and speculation. I would be interested in hearing from a legal expert in Idaho or the USA about how he could escalate to the intention to commit murder, if he entered the property with a weapon and was committing some other crime. I also would like to know if Idaho/USA makes a distinction between the act and the intention, and in the case of murder whether the intention to cause serious harm is sufficient for intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member