ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 62

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will rake the two survivors over the coals regarding the house not having window coverings and the doors not being secure. It is going to be BRUTAL if and when it comes to trial.

Why would the survivors be responsible for household window coverings and while I'm sure you don't mean to, you comment feels like your blaming the victims.

The health information privacy issues are interesting, but complex. There are actual regulations, but many of the protections afforded are actually governed by a privacy notice form to which patients agree when entering a hospital or medical office. The nature of the privacy notice varies from facility to facility and often have options the patient can choose to waive certain rights, such as allowing clergy access to the patient's name, location and religious preference.

Most privacy notification documents give providers great leeway with sharing information with law enforcement when required.

Speaking with the press was probably not a good idea for the practice involved. But describing a person's appearance before medical care was provided, especially if no health information is released, is a gray zone.
I don't have a problem with a doctor's office releasing any kind of info to LE as appropriate. I am really appalled that a receptionist would basically gossip publicly about how someone is acting in an office. Whether or not it is strictly illegal or against policies, it is very unprofessional. If she is saying this publicly about BK, what is she saying privately about average Joes in the office? There will never be any shortage of people seeking to talk to the press in a case like this I suppose.

Can’t see that being relevant to defense of BK on charges of four counts of murder. His DNA on sheath places him at crime scene at time of murders.
They want to paint a picture that anyone but him did it. They will say the sheath was planted by someone else. I hope they have way more DNA to nail him with.

I am curious about the photo on the ID badge he is wearing in this photo but can’t clearly distinguish if he has sun glasses on or if it is similar to his Visual Snow avatar?
Has anyone else seen that photo ID clearly?
As SillyBilly mentioned, I too had and have big doubts about the veracity of his supposed symptoms and wonder if he didn’t choose that obscure forum to begin exploring another kind of effects of possible depersonalization. I have also entertained the thought that he was looking to understand another close family member’s mindset and behavior.
He was in the LE club as a Sophmore in 2011, thinking about becoming an Army Ranger at the time he did the VS posting. He graduated in 2013? Had supposedly been into Heroin between Jr and Sr high school year? Enrilled in CC in 2016?9
Do we know when he dropped out of the Vocational training program or true date date range of his employment as a Security Guard?
Why would such a bright person be in high school classes only half a day? Would he have been placed there for behavioral issues?
It doesn’t all add up IMO.
IMO, no visual wear would be allowed for photo ID badge. His eyes are dark including deep set eyes and bushy eyebrows and that is what it is. Only a guess of mine.

Last edited:
They didn't specify any conditions, To that he was at an appointment so I don't think it matters

I don't think they're going to look at it as fleeing though. He stuck around for several weeks after..

Right—the prosecution trying to claim that he was fleeing, in any ordinary sense of the word, would only make them look silly. I believe, however, that they arrested him with a ‘fugitive’ warrant, but I believe that that’s just the legal terminology used when someone is arrested in another state.

MOO

Tried to quote. In answer to the question as to whether our family is still being stalked. It has been a few years but I gave up speaking and we moved. When I resume speaking, I will have to see. I am now better prepared and my children are not young any more. My guard is never down. Being hunted changes your entire perspective. My now adult children are also very aware of their surroundings having experienced this so young. Thanks for asking.

ETA - I will say that this experience has led my entire family to stand for abuse victims. My adult children have served as child advocates. I protect foster care children and my special needs daughters shares locally about the effects of abuse. There is some healing in getting your voice back after being stalked.

Last edited:
They will rake the two survivors over the coals regarding the house not having window coverings and the doors not being secure. It is going to be BRUTAL if and when it comes to trial.
Logically, leaving windows visible and doors unlocked could potentially make one more vulnerable to being targeted, but legally (and morally), those things do not justify someone coming in and killing them. The survivors, nor the victims, did anything legally wrong by living there and going to bed with the doors unlocked. Would they be any more victimized had they locked the door and he busted in? The victims' actions have no bearing on what the killer did, IMO.

I think there is a parking lot behind the house, bordered by trees, IIRC. That looks to have been an ideal place to stake out the house late at night/early in the a.m. under cover of dark. He could have easily parked somewhere, then walked over to that area for a closer view of the house and its inhabitants.
Indeed there are options behind the house, but my criteria (which may or may not be his criteria) is that it needs to have a view of the 3rd floor window and needs to be a place where one could watch inconspicuously. Not a lot of options…

Disclaimer though: my thoughts at this point are probably biased as I believe M was the intended target.

Throughout the investigation, before the arrest, LE was asking for tips and telling people they were interested in information to gain context into the events. They repeatedly posted : "Our focus is the investigation, not the activities."

Looking back now, what do you make of this?

At the time, and now, I believed and believe that they were sending a signal to nervous college students that they weren’t going to be hassled for underage drinking, marijuana use, etc.

We also don’t know about the timing of his LE internship application and its status. Presumably, he would need some sort of reference or endorsement to be considered. If BK perceived rejection in both the TA and internship endeavors, I would liken that to the job loss condition that is considered to be a major life stressor. Add to that his recent cross country move, another major life stressor.

Obviously, most people cope with these types of situations just fine, but there are those who don’t and who act out in extraordinary ways.

It will be interesting to learn about the timing of the TA and internship events, imo.
Can someone post a link to the referenced "TA incident"? I haven't heard about this and I'm curious to hear more details. Sorry I must have missed it. Agree with what @Parsnip says above.

Just a small note -- it's pretty common, at least in my experience, to be "thrown" into teaching or TAing without much training. It can be frustrating if you don't have prior experience. Not to defend BK if he was in fact struggling or was even penalized for this performance as a TA, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me if his perceived failure of this new leadership role had a large impact on his self worth.

Why would the survivors be responsible for household window coverings and while I'm sure you don't mean to, you comment feels like your blaming the victims.
I don't think the defense will play hardball with the survivors but the outward appearance of the house may very well end up being a theory for the prosecution. BK may be a killer who is attracted to a house and not the victims individually.

I guess I'm confused, are they allowed to say untrue things? I would have thought in court you have to be honest. Per pervious comments- I'm niave to court room procedure- but learning! JMO
Defense attorneys can basically put forth any type of defense- even if it is far fetched, with not one scintilla of evidence to support it--- The defense would say, well it isn't a lie, it certainly is possible a bushy haired stranger murdered my client (when he knows full well that is BS)-

They can confirm if patient is there. Quote: "What HIPAA says: Location and general health status (i.e., directory information) can be disclosed if the requester identifies the patient by name unless the patient has objected to such disclosures.".

Think about it, sort of like, when you call to talk to a friend in the hospital, the hospital operator puts you through. The hospital just cannot give out patient's condition, medical info. Behavioral Health tho is a different matter.
I still have issues sometimes, even though my husband authorized his doctors (on their office consent form) to speak to me. I'm the one who for the most part takes care of all the medical/insurance phone calls.

At the time, and now, I believed and believe that they were sending a signal to nervous college students that they weren’t going to be hassled for underage drinking, marijuana use, etc.

But for what purpose? Because they might have been up in the middle of the night? The police were looking for witnesses who could be torn apart by the defense related to their lack of sobriety at the time?

I completely agree about the bizarre intervention.
I don't think we are blaming the professor for the murders when we note this strange group criticism could have extremely humiliatingly to someone with ego issues. It could have been perceived by the accused as organized bullying and been part or even the main thing that send him spinning down. I was a TA in two years of grad school and even in very large (75 to 125 undergrads) classes with many TAs I never even heard of anything like that.

I could not agree with you more. I suppose this is a bit of an aside, but I taught ESL for over 30 years in Taiwan, and cannot understand in what universe a professor could possibly imagine to themselves that that was a good idea. It reminds me of nothing so much as the "criticism" sessions employed against professors and other intellectuals during the Cultural Revolution, which drove countless victims to commit suicide. "Unprofessional" is putting it kindly.

To bring this round to the subject at hand: If it turns out that BK is indeed the culprit, I find myself wondering if, in the past, life with family and a friend or two and the familiarity of Pennsylvania acted as something of a check on his inclinations. Perhaps the move to Washington left him completely untethered, so that he began to indulge his urges more and more and finally decided to act them out. I can see where incidents like the rejection from the police internship and the criticism session may have had a triggering effect, although I think that he would eventually have done something of the sort anyway.

None of the above excuses such a heinous act, though. Nothing does.

All MOO.

When police reported to the home prior to the murders on a distrubance call, there was a period where they were waiting for one of the residents to come to the door, police canvas the house while they wait. Start looking at the video below at 33:35. Police bodycam picks up a set of golf clubs through the curtains in the 1st floor spare room to the right of front door. These could be Ethan's IMO

Thanks for this video. It illustrates what a perfect target this house was. It's pitch dark outside with great visibility through the uncovered windows. A great place to stalk and watch from a distance. It also contains the DNA, footprints and fingerprints of literally dozens and dozens of people to confuse the issue. Vulnerable occupants. I understand perfectly why this house would have been selected.

I also think it's possible it was not the #1 favored target. I suspect there was another house east of Moscow that was the preferred target. That is why Kohberger went there first that night and why he initially popped up on the 700 block of Indian Hills Dr. I think he was watching another house there, but it didn't work out that night so he diverted to the secondary target on King Rd, drove past several times and concluded the circumstances/risks were acceptable to take action on the King Rd house.

I believe it's likely he was surveilling several locations in the Moscow area narrowing down the targets as he went. The King Rd house is pretty darn perfect. Pitch dark, excellent visibility to the interior, female residents who are much easier targets than a house full of young male residents, huge game on Saturday followed by lots of drinking and partying, striking at 4 am when many people are likely to be asleep and/or inebriated following the festivities.

I also think if his full cell records are ever released we are going to find other gaps in time when his cell phone was turned off. The PCA wouldn't mention this because they wanted to focus only on the 3-5 am period of Nov 13th, but I would not be surprised if there were prior dates that Kohberger's cell was off grid in anticipation of a crime that did not work out.

Interesting case. My opinions only.

Approximate Distance of security camera from X's room on West side of 1122 King Rd. Exhibit A states that it is located less than 50' from 1112 King Road. I used Google Maps to determine the distance, and Exhibit A to determine the location of the room from the exterior. The 2nd Google Image shows House Numbers and Street Names (old entrances from King Rd). The audio, picked up the dog barking numerous times, according to the NYTimes.

1122google map.jpgXKRoom near Surveillance Camera_Less than 50'.jpg

Attachments

• AudioCapturesDogBarking.jpg
    AudioCapturesDogBarking.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 21
I think he almost had to go upstairs first. He entered at 4:05 but X was on TikTok until 4:12. That is the time frame when M and K were killed upstairs. I think he entered and X was in bed in the dark with Ethan sleeping while eating her DD and watching TikTok with headphones on, so she didn't hear him walk by, but probably heard something going on upstairs (a thud or something, although the thud D heard was actually X) and went out to investigate as BK was coming down, and then gets into a confrontation with him (where he says "I'm here to help you" before killing her and then Ethan in their bedroom). After that, D sees him as he is running out. That's pretty much the only way the whole timeline fits together.
We don’t know when he entered. We do know a dog started barking at 4:17 and he was speeding away at 4:20. Relying entirely on the assumption that the barking dog was Murphy, and that he was barking in response to K being murdered on the other side of that door, there just isn’t enough time to proceed from there to kill X and E before leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kforbes862