ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 63

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK, only the Goncalves family has retained an attorney who is, interestingly, a criminal defense attorney.

They badly needed someone to walk them through the process and I'm sure someone who has criminal trial experience will give them a great deal of comfort because he will be able to guide them through the process.

People shouldn't blow this out of proportion.

That is boilerplate language requesting pretty much every type of evidence the prosecution could have obtained. The defense has no idea what exists outside of the PC affidavit so they ask for everything. It absolutely does not mean a co-defendant is in play.

I'm sure this won't stop the internet train but it is the truth.

Any guesses as to why she contacted the FBI?

Perhaps the FBI has been asking for people who knew him in PA to talk with them?
That could be all it is. On the other hand, if she'd known him to threaten girls with a knife, or something like that, she might have felt compelled to report it. Who knows.

Perhaps @Alethea could tell us her learned opinion of item #2 in the Defense Request for Discovery?

Source:

It’s just standard. The state has an ongoing discovery obligation to turn over evidence to the defense. If anyone ever was named as a co-defendant, the defense would be entitled to these materials. They probably thought it was easier and more efficient to ask for everything now than have to update later if there were a change.

The state will just respond that there are no responsive materials as there are no co-defendants in the case.

It doesn't mean "he thinks" there's a co-defendant, it is 1 of 18 requests by the defense today to The Court, and so is not significant, IMO:

Idaho Murder Suspect Bryan Kohberger Requests Info on Mystery 'Co-Defendant' as Next Hearing Is Set for June​

Inside Edition
By CHRIS SPARGO
First Published: 8:58 AM PST, January 12, 2023

Bryan Kohberger briefly appeared in court on Thursday where he waived his right to a speedy preliminary hearing.

"Bryan Kohberger briefly appeared in court on Thursday where he waived his right to a speedy preliminary hearing.
This means that the Washington State University PhD student, who is accused of murdering four University of Idaho students in the early morning hours of Nov. 13, will not appear in a courtroom again until June 26.

Kohberger and his defense team also filed a request for discovery this week, asking among other things for information about a "co-defendant" in the case.

The probable cause affidavit does not identify a co-defendant and authorities have not suggested that Kohberger may have had an accomplice when he allegedly murdered Madison Mogen, 21; Kaylee Goncalves, 21; Xana Kernodle, 20; and Ethan Chapin, 20.

Inside Edition Digital previously reported that Kohberger did ask members of law enforcement if they had arrested another individual in connection with these murders after he was taken into custody last month.

In the court filing submitted by his public defender Ann Taylor, Kohberger requested: "Any written or recorded statements by a co-defendant, and the substance of any relevant oral statement made by a co-defendant whether before or after arrest in response to interrogation by any person known by the co-defendant to be a peace officer or agent of the prosecuting attorney, or which are otherwise relevant to the offense charged."

That is just one of the 18 requests for discovery Kohberger submitted to the court.""

Bryan Kohberger Requests Info on 'Co-Defendant' in Idaho Murder Case

To plead not guilty means the defense thinks another person or persons committed the crimes. It is helpful to the defense if they can suggest to the jury who else might have done it. BK already said it could be fraternity students.

The defense has to proceed as if someone else committed the murders which they are doing. Because BK is charged with the murders anyone else the defense accuses would technically be BK's co-defendant.

BK immediately upon arrest asked if anyone else was arrested, he needs to make it look like there is someone else out there who did it.

Already there is media buzz about a "mystery" co-defendant. This is what the defense wants, get potential jurors to think someone else is roaming around out there and they committed the murders.

Defense lawyers get around gag orders by filing accusations in Motions that the public sees. I have seen this happen many times. Sometimes the prosecution asks for a Motion to be sealed, like if the Motion identifies a specific witness or a minor, etc...

Before a recent trial I followed the defense filed all kinds of Motions the media wrote about that said their client didn't shoot anyone, that his co-defendant who turned State's evidence was a liar and "crazy," that there were witnesses who said other people did the crimes, that the defendant wasn't being treated fairly and so on and so forth.

2 Cents

Last edited:
Moving on from BK's Tinder date and the receptionist at his doctor's office, we now have an interview with his 6th grade crush. Photo included! /s

FBI agents have interviewed Bryan Kohberger's middle school crush in hopes of piecing together the psyche of the man they believe is responsible for the gruesome murders of four Idaho college students.

Kim Kenely, 27, contacted the bureau shortly after learning her former classmate had been arrested for allegedly knifing four housemates to death at a university just 15 minutes from where he was studying in November.

The two were sixth-grade students at Pleasant Valley Intermediate School in Brodheadsville, Pennsylvania, when Kohberger, 28, developed a crush and began romantically pursuing the girl who would go on to be a high school cheerleader.

'She told the FBI whatever she could tell them,' Kenely's mother Sandra confirmed to DailyMail.com on Wednesday.

'It was so long ago. I couldn't imagine what she had to tell the FBI. I guess it was for the character purpose.'

View attachment 394905

She does resemble the victims.

Perhaps just a ploy to cause reasonable doubt?
i mean, this is going out on a big limb- i dont actually believe this would even be the case, but just to put it out there with the bits we have seen today- could he be trying to implicate DM or the other roommate, or possibly someone else, like from the frat house?

also, a question. do we know those 12 car trips were driving by only or could those possibly by visits to something/one near the house.

Any guesses as to why she contacted the FBI?

Perhaps the FBI has been asking for people who knew him in PA to talk with them?
Perhaps investigating his past to look into past crimes in the PA area? Just guessing here. JMO, MOO
Edit: disregard this thought, I didn't realize the girl contacted FBI first. I thought FBI was doing the digging.

Last edited:
There are about 15 million high school students in the US in an average year. Let's say half are boys: 7.5 million. Let's say 10% of them were bullied like that by the popular pretty girls. That's 750,000 bullied high school boys. Stats say there are about 25-50 serial killers in the US at any given time. That would mean, even if we had 25-50 new serial killers every year (which clearly we do not), 749,950 bullied boys do not go on to become killers. It's not the bullying. Bullying is awful, but it is not "the cause" or "the reason" people go on to kill.
It would not be a motive for most people but could still be part of the motive for him. He tried to completely transform himself into someone these girls would like but it didn’t work because he couldn’t transform his personality. He was able to lose weight but probably still came across as someone most girls would want to avoid.

This makes me strongly curious as why WHY he thinks there's a co-defendant when there has been no public mention of one by LE...
Ok, far fetched here - but I am hoping he didn't get a reply from another killer for this thesis project and they "worked together" online researching and discussing how to plan a perfect murder or something like that.

Maybe BK interviewed and interacted with another killer and the other killer "advised" him how to do things right. BK might try to pin it on the other person.

Last edited:
This item is interesting:

• "Provide to the defendant all documents pertaining to the existence and substance of any payments, promises of leniency, preferential treatment or other inducements or threats made to prospective witnesses."
Myabe BK blabbed something to another prisoner or jail employee during his short stay in PA or perhaps even already in ID. Sounds kind of boilerplate info request from the Defense to me. IDK

MOO

It doesn't mean "he thinks" there's a co-defendant, it is 1 of 18 requests by the defense today to The Court, and so is not significant, IMO

ETA: it could be a way for the defense to "clear the bench" and put LE on notice that if "a" co-defendant" (LE accuses anyone else of these same crimes) is identified, LE has to share that:

Idaho Murder Suspect Bryan Kohberger Requests Info on Mystery 'Co-Defendant' as Next Hearing Is Set for June​

Inside Edition
By CHRIS SPARGO
First Published: 8:58 AM PST, January 12, 2023

Bryan Kohberger briefly appeared in court on Thursday where he waived his right to a speedy preliminary hearing.

"Bryan Kohberger briefly appeared in court on Thursday where he waived his right to a speedy preliminary hearing.
This means that the Washington State University PhD student, who is accused of murdering four University of Idaho students in the early morning hours of Nov. 13, will not appear in a courtroom again until June 26.

Kohberger and his defense team also filed a request for discovery this week, asking among other things for information about a "co-defendant" in the case.

The probable cause affidavit does not identify a co-defendant and authorities have not suggested that Kohberger may have had an accomplice when he allegedly murdered Madison Mogen, 21; Kaylee Goncalves, 21; Xana Kernodle, 20; and Ethan Chapin, 20.

Inside Edition Digital previously reported that Kohberger did ask members of law enforcement if they had arrested another individual in connection with these murders after he was taken into custody last month.

In the court filing submitted by his public defender Ann Taylor, Kohberger requested: "Any written or recorded statements by a co-defendant, and the substance of any relevant oral statement made by a co-defendant whether before or after arrest in response to interrogation by any person known by the co-defendant to be a peace officer or agent of the prosecuting attorney, or which are otherwise relevant to the offense charged."

That is just one of the 18 requests for discovery Kohberger submitted to the court.""

Bryan Kohberger Requests Info on 'Co-Defendant' in Idaho Murder Case
I haven't seen a co-defendant request as a boilerplate discovery request before - but I don't practice criminal law.

My intrigue comes from the combination of him asking if someone else was arrested and then a specific request for co-defendant info when we know there isn't a co-defendant. Yes, it could just be throwing everything into the request at once. Just is interesting to me when the two are looked at together. MOO is that he's trying to create reasonable doubt in the media by alluding to the fact that there is someone else involved.

My first thought was are they trying to insinuate something about DM? Sorry I don't even know the poor girl, yet I find myself being very protective of her.

No, it's about soliciting information about BK. The Chief wants "context" for the actions of BK, he mentioned no one else.

And he's getting exactly that although perhaps not entirely in the form he wanted, as some are taking their views to MSM and to TikTok.

I have a feeling that Chief Fry is equally protective. If it were to turn out that BK is a light or medium weight weed dealer, as I implied via SPECULATION, and if it were to turn out that 1122 King Road had had deliveries from him, I think LE would endeavor to establish that in a way that didn't involve DM.

If I were a U of ID weed consumer who had used the services of BK and knew it was BK, I would contact police. But that's JMO and my inclination.

Probably already discussed on here, but BK dumping the cleaning supplies/garbage at 4am before he was arrested is going to be a treasure trove of evidence.

Quote snipped by me.
Could someone please provide a link about this? I unfortunately missed this discussion (about him dumping cleaning supplies) completely, as I've had to skip practically entire threads to keep up. And this seems important. Is this a fact? Sorry and TIA.

When a defendant has been charged with an offense punishable by the death penalty, there's a list of standard motions attorneys are required to file on their behalf.

Here's a link to a 2018 manual that covers a lot of this. The purpose is to provide adequate defense for people facing capital crimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici