Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly. I just dont think any witness would be able to give such a detailed description of what NB was wearing that was in the Police statement. But I could be wrong about that.
Usually when someone goes missing their family/partner/parents or whoever they live with, give details of what they were last wearing to the police. So the police have given the public that information. I hope that now those photos are published that they will be able to issue a more accurate description.

I think there’s lots of missing persons and not all can warrant suspicion of criminality and associated resource use from the off - so have to have more suspicion or proof before big guns pulled out.
Like can’t full body MRI for every lump or bump, if not high suspicion have to do more conservative things and let the situation “declare itself”.
Otherwise just not ethical - not enough resources to go round and leads to damage when resources needed more elsewhere or at a later point in time but all used up.
This is a weird one with lack of evidence all round - though lots of posters have posted similar stories so less rare than I thought.
I hope (&think) the police have done a lot more than we know.
If they suspect foul play and drawing someone out I would hope they don’t think the person is a big risk to the public or are keeping close tabs. Would obviously be awful if it happened to anyone else. Hopefully the publicity is making everyone very careful

Nicola Bulley search handed boost as 'world's best' tech to scan whole river 'in a day'

Speaking to Express.co.uk, founder Peter Faulding, who pioneered bringing forensic sonar search equipment to the UK, said: “We have the best sonar equipment for the world that’s available, for the highest frequency for this particular search. That river, we can literally scan within a day, a day and a half.

“Our kit is the best you can buy, it’s the highest frequency, there are forces who carry sonar but it’s a lot lower frequency generally.

“I’m not criticising the police, I work for them all the time, and I have great respect for them. I have had a very productive call with Lancashire Police this afternoon, we will build an excellent working relationship.

“What I’m doing is offering our services free of charge to try and eliminate this river so the police can get on with their other enquiries and find out where Nicola is. It’s the pain, the agony that this family are going through, you shouldn’t have to search and search for 10 days."

“Eliminate this river so as the police can get on with their other enquiries” ??

Think it's clear from her Facebook and the police description exactly what she was wearing. The first outfit on the inner layer - same coat, black Jeans and ankle length green wellies. This gilet over it - clearly black not blue as the CCTV image seems to show.

Attachments

• 310698132_195617569512057_7004441575630812929_n (2).jpg
    310698132_195617569512057_7004441575630812929_n (2).jpg
    115 KB · Views: 224
  • 318114641_207091101698037_2394119977735421668_n (2).jpg
    318114641_207091101698037_2394119977735421668_n (2).jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 221
I just completed a deep dive of the press conference on this thread, and have skimmed most of the rest of the posts. My reading is that:
a. The dog has gone down towards the steep part leading to the river bank, and behaved in a way so as to cause the missing person to panic.
b. In this situation, getting the dog out of perceived trouble has been more important than any teams call, and the phone may have fallen to the ground.
c. The MP (sorry I wish to distance myself rather than pretend to be familiar) has slipped or lost footing when trying to help the dog, potentially sustaining an injury.
d. Realising the predicament, the MP has released the dog from the harness which may have been on, and thrown it back towards the path - or the dog has grabbed the harness and taken it down towards the river in a hopeless attempt to re-engage the owner.
e. MP has done best to swim, with the current of the river, at some point has gotten out of the river, or has remained in the water.
f. Hypothermia has resulted from the cold.
g. With great regret, I conclude that either unconsciousness has resulted and the MP has been carried further than expected, or has exited the river at some point much further than expected, and succumbed to hypothermia.
h. In the best case, the MP is surviving but severely impaired or injured. If hypothermia set in due to the cold, it would be extremely difficult in the circumstances to recover core body temperature.

There are obviously alternative hypotheses, but this is the one that came to mind. I sincerely hope that the MP is found as soon as possible.
It's not about being 'pretending to be familiar' with Nicola/NB it's so there's no confusion on who someone is talking about. MP I fear will cause confusion.

Can you expand and say why you don't think that please.
The sonar search expert said:

“Normally when a person drowns, if they are left a number of days they don't move very far.

"This is not a fast tidal river. So I would have expected her to be found by the police divers by now."

Think it's clear from her Facebook and the police description exactly what she was wearing. The first outfit on the inner layer - same coat, black Jeans and ankle length green wellies. This gilet over it - clearly black not blue as the CCTV image seems to show.
Yet none of those coats, or the one from the home CCTV are ankle length.

I know if the water theory is accurate, it's very unlikely to make any difference between a knee length and ankle length coat, but in any kind of missing person enquiry, accuracy of description is vital

This seems to show a hip length blue jacket and knee length gilet. The description given was a black, waist length jacket and ankle length gilet. LE were quite emphatic about 'specific clothing,' which is why it's a bit odd that the confusion has occurred.

I don't think we can assume what she was wearing from NB's FB pages. The discrepancy is something LE can clear up with the help of PA probably.

Thank you for that. I wonder why they couldn't have used those photos to aid their description ?

EXACTLY
He has changed his tune ... now has to admit police do have a side sonar.

and he's now saying that this is a very long stretch of river for them to do but this morning - when he wasn't involved and he was complaining - it was easy peasy and could have been done in a day

hours later and now he says it's a ' huge task for the police'

prior to that Faulding said the investigation was ' a mess'
Now he says he's not been criticising the police.

“The sonar used by the police is pretty low-tech. It's very unlikely they would be able to find a body with it,' he said. 'The divers the police are using are very experienced and professional, but searching that way is a very slow process.

<modsnip>
Does anyone know what the visibility is like under the surface? Is it very silty?

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems to show a hip length blue jacket and knee length gilet. The description given was a black, waist length jacket and ankle length gilet. LE were quite emphatic about 'specific clothing,' which is why it's a bit odd that the confusion has occurred.

I don't think we can assume what she was wearing from NB's FB pages. The discrepancy is something LE can clear up with the help of PA probably.
I think we can - the logo is even clearly visible in other images. <modsnip - snark>

Attachments

• 310284463_195617472845400_4273832831752756303_n (2).jpg
    310284463_195617472845400_4273832831752756303_n (2).jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 89
There are a few things that leave me confused about this case, not least whether LE actually have footage of NB in the walk area on the day, but for now I only want to think of the family and friends for what tomorrow may bring.

If the new river search is to locate something, then it's the ending they must be fearing.

If the new search turns up nothing, then where do they go from here. LE don't seem fully convinced by other possibilities.

Yet none of those coats, or the one from the home CCTV are ankle length.

I know if the water theory is accurate, it's very unlikely to make any difference between a knee length and ankle length coat, but in any kind of missing person enquiry, accuracy of description is vital
I'm routinely surprised by how much publicised photos of missing persons appear to be quite old/different from the appearance of that person at the disappearance time. Not in this case admittedly.

My guess (and that is all it is) is yes, it could be silty - the weir isn't too far away. I wild swim in a river lake with a small weir, not dissimilar to this - it's impenetrably murky to the naked eye.
Divers are then basically diving blind using their fingers to feel IMO

^^^This. Comparing the clothing on her FB to what she was seen wearing that day is not reliable and can't be taken as fact.

In all likelihood it may well be, but we don't and can't know for sure until it's officially confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member