4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 72

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic!

What great evidence this would be if true.

BK's phone and/or computer showing he searched specifically for the 4 murders BEFORE they were discovered.
Only the killer would know before the discovery - before the 911 call.

They will do a forensic audit of his computer and phone searches.

That is a REALLY GOOD POINT. Did not think of him doing a search or police scanner link trying to see if his "work" had been discovered.

MOO Shock phase means momentarily shocked. She could be shocked her roommates had some weird dude over.
MOO Anyway she didn’t suspect a quadruple murder, so she proceeded as it was a situation of noisy roommates that had a weird dude over. She probably thought she had to talk with them the next day.
You and I can interpret it in this benign way. My point is that it is a phrase that leads to unnecessary questions and that could have been avoided. And SHOULD HAVE IMO.

Reactions: IDK
February 14, 2023

MOSCOW, Idaho — The public defender representing the University of Idaho students' murder suspect will earn $200 per hour during her standard work week, according to an agreement KREM 2 obtained through a public record request with Kootenai County.
(snip)
The "Capital Criminal Defense Provider Agreement" outlines several provisions, including how much Latah County will pay Taylor for her defense services. It also points to the likelihood of this murder case becoming a death penalty case.
According to the agreement, Latah County wanted to establish competent defense counsel to represent the suspect and a team of attorneys who are qualified in death penalty cases.
The agreement also details compensation for Taylor and her team. Latah County will pay Kootenai County $200 per hour during the standard 40-hour work week. If Taylor works any hours beyond that, Latah County will pay her $200 per hour directly.
That may sound like a lot. But, KREM 2 asked local attorneys and they say that rate is on the lower end for this type of agreement.
The second attorney working on this case will be paid $180 per hour during the standard 40-hour work week. This attorney's pay will follow the same protocol as Taylor's pay.
Latah County also agreed to reimburse the attorneys for mileage, lodging and meal costs. Additionally, Taylor's investigators will be compensated at a rate of $45 per hour.
Latah County Commissioners approved a draft of the agreement on Feb. 7, and Kootenai County approved the same agreement on Tuesday. However, The agreement went into effect on Dec. 30, 2022.

Mentions of death qualified attorneys in the agreement are a big indication the Latah county prosecutor may pursue the death penalty. And the cost to do this can add up quickly.

More at link

I’ve touched on this before but I just wanted to clarify IMO the PCA has two problematic phrases. Those are “frozen shock phase” and “bushy eyebrows”. I’ll explain why I see this as the case.

1. Frozen shock phase leads the reader to infer that the witness had an understanding something was seriously wrong. It could be argued that the impact could be the same if the reader is indeed a warrant granting official.

2. Bushy eyebrows leads the reader to believe that the “witness” had a clear view of the intruder. Clear enough to sit on a stand and point out if a suspect’s attributes are consistent.

Here is the problem, if there is a possibility that these phrases were fill in the blank type words that actually came from the interviewer and reluctantly agreed to by the interviewee that could be an issue. If thrown out, a star eye witness testimony could go with it and the case takes a hit.
BBM. I never heard of any evidence of LE leading the witness. Sounds like rumour, IMO.

I agree but my point is in my opinion, she might not have come out and clearly said that at least not without a little help. We shall see.
Why would LE put words into the witness' mouth during her interviews in the days immediately after the crime? Or are you suggesting something else? It's not clear what you are implying,IMO.

BBM. I never heard of any evidence of LE leading the witness. Sounds like rumour, IMO.
The defense has asked for discovery of how the interview with DM was conducted. This was in the request for discovery documents from the defense to the prosecution.

Although the prosecution did not necessarily "lead the witness," it's important to know if they provided any "stock phrases/terms" that LE may have introduced to help DM with her descriptions (such as "bushy eyebrows," etc.). That would be significant to the defense. JMO.

Edit for spelling

Last edited:
MOO Shock phase means momentarily shocked. She could be shocked her roommates had some weird dude over.
MOO Anyway she didn’t suspect a quadruple murder, so she proceeded as it was a situation of noisy roommates that had a weird dude over. She probably thought she had to talk with them the next day.
Yea, IMO DM would have said to LE during interviews something along the lines of she was shocked when she saw the stranger, she froze as they walked towards and past. I don't think LE would have deviated much, if at all, from what DM herself stated in interview/statement. While she went through this short phase she was able to view the stranger and thus provide the basic description we see in the PCA. MOO

The defense has asked for discovery of how the interview with DM was conducted. This was in the request for discovery document from the defense to the prosecution.

Although the prosecution did not necessarily "lead the witness," it's important to know if they provided any "stock phrases/terms" that LE may have introduced to help DM with her descriptions (such as "bushy eyebrows," etc.). That would be significant to the defense. JMO.

Edit for spelling
I agree.

ETA: I just give LE enough credit not to have lead the witness when we don't have access to the discovery docs to show anything to the contrary. .

He could have a handheld scanner. Nothing would be recorded.

Possibly. But I doubt it. This was a phone- and computer-based guy. Not only do the scanner apps work really well, but it's an all-in-one device. Not sure how much BK was willing to spend on his kill kit. The knife might have been the major purchase, the coveralls could be purchased at Walmart (if there were coveralls, which it appears there might have been) for about $40. There were other things he needed, of course.

There's a cheesy handheld on sale at Amazon for $80, but most of them are far more than that. Interestingly, I don't see any available at my local Walmart, they are all sold online or at specialty stores. But if he had one, he clearly didn't trust it, as he drove over to check out the scene, himself.

IMO. I do wonder if we'll find that BK had funded his various lifestyle choices, over the years, with a little prowling and B&E. It's possible.

At any rate, the scanner (if it existed) did not provide him with the news he needed, so he drove over to the crime scene around 9 am on Sunday morning, per the PCA. IMO.

Why would LE put words into the witness' mouth during her interviews in the days immediately after the crime? Or are you suggesting something else? It's not clear what you are implying,IMO.

That would only make sense if there was some belief that LE had a suspect in mind before DM gave her statement and I really don't think they did. LE tends to record conversations with witnesses so while the PCA has summarized some of her statement, there will be access to her full statement.

I actually don't think she has much to offer as far as picking BK out of a lineup and any testimony she would provide would be more related to the timeline of the killings.

Well, after a minor crime happened to me, LE asked me to go through their computerized sketch system—which presented pairs of facial features, and asked which was more like the person I’d seen.

Now, it was a very minor crime, so LE wouldn’t have needed to worry about contaminating a witness. (It was 20 years ago, and they wanted to try out their new computer program!) But if such a program is used these days, it might well present a pair of dramatic eyebrows juxtaposed to more average ones.

The defense has asked for discovery of how the interview with DM was conducted. This was in the request for discovery documents from the defense to the prosecution.

Edit for spelling

The prosecution interviewed DM? Where did you find that? Or are you saying the DA was on the phone, feeding phrases to LE once they arrived at the crime scene?

DM spoke to LE and then LE put what she said into the PCA. There was no "prosecution" at that point in time, because when the PCA was written, BK was not yet arrested. Are you saying that the DA was there when DM was interviewed? I'd be very, very surprised and wonder where you found that the prosecution was even involved in speaking with this witness?

I seriously doubt that LE suggested "bushy eyebrows" when they spoke to DM in that first week. For one thing, they didn't have the Elantra connection yet and no one had any idea BK was involved. You think LE asks about as many specific facial features as they can think of? If so, DM then landed on one that fit BK (he has prominent and overhanging brows, which give the appearance of what many people call "bushy" eyebrows).

And I figure that DM's recollections were more crisp during that first week. I also believe (but it's just opinion) that they interviewed both BF and DM on Sunday, Nov 13, at some point, after removing them from the scene to a safe place. Both would have been anxious to tell all they remembered, IMO.

So you're saying that LE consulted with the DA before they talked to these two young women? And were perhaps given stock phrases? I've never seen that, do you have any examples where you know that happened? Truly curious. If we do find out that the bushy eyebrow statement was made by DM much later, then that's quite strange. But to my knowledge, DM left Moscow soon after the murders and was at home. If she was re-interviewed after that first week, I'd be very surprised, as Moscow PD seems extremely victim-sensitive to me.

IMO.

Well, after a minor crime happened to me, LE asked me to go through their computerized sketch system—which presented pairs of facial features, and asked which was more like the person I’d seen.

Now, it was a very minor crime, so LE wouldn’t have needed to worry about contaminating a witness. (It was 20 years ago, and they wanted to try out their new computer program!) But if such a program is used these days, it might well present a pair of dramatic eyebrows juxtaposed to more average ones.
Wow!
So you might call yourself one of the pioneers involved in developing a modern system helping to catch criminals :)

RBBM
If what you say is true & I lean in that direction myself, why does this particular PCA characterize the feelings of DM & leave open for wide interpretation & speculation what she was thinking about & reacting to?

I find the "shock phase" statement problematic because it is a loaded expression that has been used against a victim in this case. The writer(s) wrapped a ribbon around her without tying the bow. The PCA should not leave an innocent bystander in this predicament since it has the potential for creating further victimization, WHICH IS OCCURRING.

Redaction would have been one way to deal with this weakness in the PCA.

Language matters greatly when a victim's behavior is publicly subjected to unnecessary speculation & criticism.

It was easy to prevent misunderstanding here - clarify in simple wording what the two surviving victims were doing between commission of the crimes & the time of the 911 call.

"Shock phase" will live on in the annals of poor affidavit writing IMO. And it should.

JMHO
I don't know why that phrase was used. But it's not that unusual that mistakes are made when text is written for public consumption. Look at how often politicians "walk back" written comments/speeches! And of course, the primary purpose of the PCA was not to serve as a statement for public consumption. So it may not have occurred to the writer(s) how that phrase would be interpreted. I don't know.

What I do think

1. The words "frozen shock phase" have quote marks around them. So it seems likely those could be DM's words, not words chosen by the PCA writer to describe DM's reaction.

2. The words may have been used by the writer in the PCA (whether they were initially DM's words or the writer's) in a mistaken effort to shield DM from criticism.

It's pretty obvious questions would be asked about what the survivors knew and when they knew it. There would be questions no matter what when 4 in a house are killed and 2 are not. But since the PCA reveals DM saw the alleged killer yet LE wasn't called until the next day, of course there are lots and lots of questions from the public and from the families. By using those words the reader may assume DM was in shock and could not act although I'm not sure that's what the words really mean. (Nor do I think the victims could have been saved at that point if she had acted.) But living in a college party house with multiple roommates one does see strangers wandering around at unexpected times. That's just the way it is. Seeing someone at an unexpected time can be quite startling but usually not shocking. But I don't know how DM felt. If those are her words though, I guess she may have been shocked into "a phase" of immobility.

3. I have no reason to think DM was led to use certain words-- except that an overly sympathetic relatively inexperienced officer might have done that. Officers are human and sometimes efforts to avoid appearing to blame a bystander do occur (& usually backfire.)
JMO

The Daily Mail has names.

August: Started teaching assistant job at Washington State University
September 23: Altercation with Professor John Snyder at Washington State University
October 3: Had a meeting with Snyder regarding his 'professional behavior'
October 21: Kohberger received an email informing him he failed to 'meet expectations'
November 2: Had a meeting with Snyder to discuss an 'improvement plan'
November 13: Kohberger allegedly kills four University of Idaho students
December 7: Had a meeting with a group of professors who cited his 'sexist attitude toward women' and that his 'behavioral issues' were concerning
December 9: Had a second altercation with Snyder, who told the criminology student he 'had made no progress regarding professionalism'
December 19: He was officially terminated
December 30: He was arrested at his parent's home in Pennsylvania

edit: not sure which names prev post was referring to.
Bedtime.

It seems he wasn't at WSU for very long BEFORE he started arguing with his Professor and things ramped up very quickly!
I wonder if he did not like being criticized or challenged.

Than

BBM Thank you for that information and helpful link. My husband is SERT Corrections Sergeant. I just learned the other day that inmates in my county will soon have iPads, which infuriates me. It has not yet been determined what the internet limitations will be (if any, although I cannot imagine there wouldn't be), but criminals will be criminals and find their way around it. I wasn't sure how far this progressed nationwide, and was curious whether BK or had access or not.
I would be willing to bet that Latah County doesn't have the funds to purchase such items for their inmates. Besides, this particular jail has so few inmates I just don't see this being a fancy facility with all the bells and whistles that larger ones may have.

Last edited:
I would be willing to bet that Latah County doesn't have the funds to purchase such items for their inmates. Besides, the jail have so few inmates I just don't see this being a fancy facility with all the bells and whistles.

It looks like they have them.

https://www.jailexchange.com/city-a...ah-county/latah-county-jail/inmate-commissary

How Inmates Can Use a Tablet to Access Services at Latah County Jail​

To find out how to get access to a tablet for inmate read the following:
1. First, Register or Sign In to GettingOut/GTL
2. Purchase the services you want for your Latah County Jail inmate.
3. All inmates have free access to the tablets to read their letters from family & friends, but there are many other services available to keep your inmate busy while incarcerated... such as Games, Books, Music and Movies. These other services come with fees that you can pay for when you pay for phone service.

RBBM
If what you say is true & I lean in that direction myself, why does this particular PCA characterize the feelings of DM & leave open for wide interpretation & speculation what she was thinking about & reacting to?

I find the "shock phase" statement problematic because it is a loaded expression that has been used against a victim in this case. The writer(s) wrapped a ribbon around her without tying the bow. The PCA should not leave an innocent bystander in this predicament since it has the potential for creating further victimization, WHICH IS OCCURRING.

Redaction would have been one way to deal with this weakness in the PCA.

Language matters greatly when a victim's behavior is publicly subjected to unnecessary speculation & criticism.

It was easy to prevent misunderstanding here - clarify in simple wording what the two surviving victims were doing between commission of the crimes & the time of the 911 call.

"Shock phase" will live on in the annals of poor affidavit writing IMO. And it should.

JMHO
I went back to check and in the PCA, the words "frozen shock phase" are in quotes, so it appears they were directly quoting her at that point. But were they? I had never heard that expression in my life until this case. I googled it two or three times and every single link came back to this case so, apparently, it's not in common usage.

I know it's meaning has been discussed on here and interpreted as anything from momentarily started to terrified motionless.

There were a couple of articles where "experts" explained what it meant and they were just as all over the place as we were. LOL Something tells me the judge had some questions about what that meant.

I went back to check and in the PCA, the words "frozen shock phase" are in quotes, so it appears they were directly quoting her at that point. But were they? I had never heard that expression in my life until this case. I googled it two or three times and every single link came back to this case so, apparently, it's not in common usage.

I know it's meaning has been discussed on here and interpreted as anything from momentarily started to terrified motionless.

There were a couple of articles where "experts" explained what it meant and they were just as all over the place as we were. LOL Something tells me the judge had some questions about what that meant.
In my native language we have the expression
"freeze in terror"
"She froze in terror" / couldn't move

It is quite popular :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics