4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 72

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like they have them.

Latah County Jail Commissary, Care Packs, Gifts | Moscow, Idaho

How Inmates Can Use a Tablet to Access Services at Latah County Jail​

To find out how to get access to a tablet for inmate read the following:
1. First, Register or Sign In to GettingOut/GTL
2. Purchase the services you want for your Latah County Jail inmate.
3. All inmates have free access to the tablets to read their letters from family & friends, but there are many other services available to keep your inmate busy while incarcerated... such as Games, Books, Music and Movies. These other services come with fees that you can pay for when you pay for phone service.
Yeah, I read that, too. However, I think people are confused and think that these tablets have access to the internet like people who are NOT in prison do.

There is an old reality series called 60 Days In that shows regular people going into the prison system for 60 days. By regular people, I mean those who have not committed crimes and they are going into jail kind of undercover for the police. I noticed on that show the inmates also had tablets, but it certainly was not to surf the web all day! They were able to add money to their commissary, purchase commissary, etc. Strictly for things like that. To be honest, I think it's a good thing that they are allowed to have these to "keep your inmate busy while incarcerated... such as Games, Books, Music and Movies. These other services come with fees that you can pay for when you pay for phone service." As they say, an idle mind is the devil's workshop. :)

There is just no way in h3ll that prisoners are going to be allowed to have access to the outside world by use of an tablet with internet access. Never going to happen.

I went back to check and in the PCA, the words "frozen shock phase" are in quotes, so it appears they were directly quoting her at that point. But were they? I had never heard that expression in my life until this case. I googled it two or three times and every single link came back to this case so, apparently, it's not in common usage.

I know it's meaning has been discussed on here and interpreted as anything from momentarily started to terrified motionless.

There were a couple of articles where "experts" explained what it meant and they were just as all over the place as we were. LOL Something tells me the judge had some questions about what that meant.
Exactly. Thanks for reiterating my point. Leaving that language in there (whatever it means) & either redacting it or offering a brief statement to protect the victim from speculation would have been the right (& obvious) thing to do IMO.

I believe they should do something to correct this oversight but realize that legally there is no onus on LE or the court to do so.

It's a shame. We have several more months of speculation ahead of us. I hope DM is ok. She deserves to be defended & a gag order prevents that even if it was possible to do so.

I hope a lesson about protecting victims is learned here. I would retain counsel to advocate for me were I in her position. Of course, once again, an overly broad gag order prevents this. I hope the media can get it lifted.

MOO

I am not sure about Idaho but in Ky., one can plead guilty, and agree to the DP as their sentence. This happened in the Chapman Case.

More recently, in the case of David Sparks, and his guilty plea, regarding the death of Savannah Spurlock. That case was not only statewide, it went worldwide. DS was not up for the Death Penalty due to the case not having certain "aggravator" charges, that are required for a DP trial, in the state of Ky. However, the judge gave him the maximum sentencing, allowed by law, IIRC. So he really got nothing for his plea, except, I think, that his mother would not have to sit through her son's murder trial. He seemed to care, somewhat, that he'd disappointed her. He has never released the details of "why" or "how" SS was murdered.

What Happens If I Plead Guilty at an Arraignment?

On the off chance that BK decides to plea, without a jury trial, the sentencing for the charges will be in the hands of the judge, alone. BK has nothing, like DS, to make a plea deal with. He might get the DP off the table, with a full confession, and guilty plea, as it would benefit the state, and Latah County. By pleading guilty to his charges, it would be saving them the monetary costs of a trial, putting everyone through a very traumatic trial, and getting the case wrapped up and DS out of their county jail, and into prison for LWOP. IANAL so this is all just theory based on other cases/trials.
Idaho Code Section 19-2515 specifies that a jury will be empaneled to consider the death penalty if a guilty plea to an eligible offense is entered after the prosecutor files the required notice of intent to seek capital punishment. The statute also states that the jury can be waived, in which case the judge is to conduct a hearing to consider the evidence and make the findings required to support imposition of the death penalty.

I read the statute to require a hearing at which evidence is offered to support the Constitutionally required findings that aggravating factors exist that justify imposition of the death penalty. I think a law that allows the defendant to stipulate the exististence of such factors would be unconstitutional.

The Latah County Commissioners have approved a Capital Criminal Defense Provider Agreement with Kootenai County in Coeur d’Alene. The contract was obtained from Kootenai County through a public records request by Amanda Roley at KREM in Spokane. The deal also needs approval from the Kootenai County Commissioners.

Under the agreement, Latah County is formally hiring Kootenai County Chief Public Defender Anne Taylor to represent Kohbeger. Taylor has the qualifications that are required to defend a death penalty case in Idaho. The contract notes that the Latah County Prosecutor’s Office may seek the death penalty. The contract is retroactive to December 30th when Taylor started representing Kohberger on the day he was arrested.

It seems he wasn't at WSU for very long BEFORE he started arguing with his Professor and things ramped up very quickly!
I wonder if he did not like being criticized or challenged.

He liked to let people know how smart he was, according to a post on here.

People who are know-it-alls do not like criticism or challenges to their points of view. His professor gave him constructive criticism and informed him of things and I believe tired to have normal discourse with him but he got defensive and difficult to talk to or reason with - I imagine.

I remember reading somewhere where the faculty gave him chances to improve but he refused to change.

Yeah, I read that, too. However, I think people are confused and think that these tablets have access to the internet like people who are NOT in prison do.

There is an old reality series called 60 Days In that shows regular people going into the prison system for 60 days. By regular people, I mean those who have not committed crimes and they are going into jail kind of undercover for the police. I noticed on that show the inmates also had tablets, but it certainly was not to surf the web all day! They were able to add money to their commissary, purchase commissary, etc. Strictly for things like that. To be honest, I think it's a good thing that they are allowed to have these to "keep your inmate busy while incarcerated... such as Games, Books, Music and Movies. These other services come with fees that you can pay for when you pay for phone service." As they say, an idle mind is the devil's workshop. :)

There is just no way in h3ll that prisoners are going to be allowed to have access to the outside world by use of an tablet with internet access. Never going to happen.

Good post.

People think inmates getting email, computer, iPad access etc...means they have internet access but they never do. Plus, inmates have to pay for games and music and things to keep them busy on an iPad - not everything is free to them.

Latah County Jail Remote Visitation Announcement - January 4, 2023​

Inmates at the Latah County Jail, now that the COVID pandemic is waning, once again allows inmates to get visits from friends and loved ones. Visits are either on-site (no contact) at the facility, and/or using the remote video services of the third party company outlined below.

Call 208-882-2216 for remote inmate visitation updates as schedules and policies can change without much advance notice.

Latah County Jail inmates are allowed to have no limit on the number of visits when using the remote video visitation service.

Exactly. Thanks for reiterating my point. Leaving that language in there (whatever it means) & either redacting it or offering a brief statement to protect the victim from speculation would have been the right (& obvious) thing to do IMO.

I believe they should do something to correct this oversight but realize that legally there is no onus on LE or the court to do so.

It's a shame. We have several more months of speculation ahead of us. I hope DM is ok. She deserves to be defended & a gag order prevents that even if it was possible to do so.

I hope a lesson about protecting victims is learned here. I would retain counsel to advocate for me were I in her position. Of course, once again, an overly broad gag order prevents this. I hope the media can get it lifted.

MOO
trying to redact, alter, or "clarify" an affidavit for a warrant isn't allowed. They are stuck with it. That is what LE believed to be true at the time, it is what the judge relied upon.

The Latah County Commissioners have approved a Capital Criminal Defense Provider Agreement with Kootenai County in Coeur d’Alene. The contract was obtained from Kootenai County through a public records request by Amanda Roley at KREM in Spokane. The deal also needs approval from the Kootenai County Commissioners.

Under the agreement, Latah County is formally hiring Kootenai County Chief Public Defender Anne Taylor to represent Kohbeger. Taylor has the qualifications that are required to defend a death penalty case in Idaho. The contract notes that the Latah County Prosecutor’s Office may seek the death penalty. The contract is retroactive to December 30th when Taylor started representing Kohberger on the day he was arrested.

That is yet another case of a attention grabbing headline that is not supported by the article.

trying to redact, alter, or "clarify" an affidavit for a warrant isn't allowed. They are stuck with it. That is what LE believed to be true at the time, it is what the judge relied upon.
I understand. It stands as is.

I am suggesting some other public statement on her behalf, as legally impractical as that may be.

Surely there is some recourse for a victim in an instance such as this?

Obviously IANAL. :cool:

I am suggesting some other public statement on her behalf, as legally impractical as that may be.

I am guessing that if she wanted such a thing, she could probably arrange it. However, I think it is best for her to do exactly what she's doing and keep mention of herself or appearance of herself out of the public eye. Completely. To not attempt any PR moves such as this.

It will just stir things up again. And it seems to me that about 25% of posters on places like WS or reddit or Twitter or Daily Mail are wanting very badly to dispute anything she may have said AND to criticize her unfairly. Why would she want to restart it when it is just now starting to die down?

She has several possible actions if she wants to say something directly to the public. A victims' assistance group will give her free help with this. Many attorneys will do a pro bono press conference if asked, in a situation like that. Unfortunately, studies seem to show that it makes no difference - the negative people will continue to be negative, perhaps even moreso, as they feel contradicted.

There are theories about why people can take such harsh and negative views, and George Fletcher did quite a bit of research, first published in the mid 1990's. He says that people consciously or unconsciously identify with parties to criminal cases, and take up stances based on that.

Fortunately, the sense of unfairness that some people have (even accusing some victims in this case of being responsible for deaths, not on WS, obviously - but easy to find elsewhere) is in this case moderate. Do you all remember how people harassed the Laundrie family? No one knew at the time (for sure) that BL was the killer of Gabby, but a bunch of people decided the Laundrie family was somehow guilty and it was a circus.

We've seen nothing like that, in this case. Fortunately. But just this morning, I saw a news outlet (similar to NewsNation, IMO) that was stirring up rumors about DM and BF, again. Since it's not in any MSM that I consider to be MSM, I assume it's just another muckraker who has started a random website. BF and DM would have to hire a lawyer, I think, to try to shut that down and even then, it might not be easy or possible. Better to just ignore it, IMO.

If either of these young women is feeling harassed, though, they can contact the Latah County DA and receive assistance, IMO.

Idaho Code Section 19-2515 specifies that a jury will be empaneled to consider the death penalty if a guilty plea to an eligible offense is entered after the prosecutor files the required notice of intent to seek capital punishment. The statute also states that the jury can be waived, in which case the judge is to conduct a hearing to consider the evidence and make the findings required to support imposition of the death penalty.

I read the statute to require a hearing at which evidence is offered to support the Constitutionally required findings that aggravating factors exist that justify imposition of the death penalty. I think a law that allows the defendant to stipulate the exististence of such factors would be unconstitutional.
Idaho Code Section 19-2515 specifies that a jury will be empaneled to consider the death penalty if a guilty plea to an eligible offense is entered after the prosecutor files the required notice of intent to seek capital punishment.

I do not believe that BK will plead guilty under these circumstances. It is extremely rare for this to happen, very rare.

99% of the time a death penalty defendant will not plead guilty without first getting the death penalty removed. Most often they plead guilty in exchange for LWOP.

BK's attorneys would do everything they can to keep BK from pleading guilty without the DP being dropped.

It is a death penalty attorney's main job to keep their client off of death row.

Is there something in the PCA that is incorrect? If she made those statements, then there is nothing to correct. If LE misquoted her, then there is a problem. I assume she gave a written statement and signed it. or gave a verbal statement, transcribed , and then signed. As far as we know she hasn't objected to anything, so I assume its all correct. If there is a misquote, the DA should bring it up before the defense does. If she just misstated in her interview, she will need to correct that herself. Or just let it go. We don't know what her full statement or statements say. So its tough to say if any correction needs to be made.

I went back to check and in the PCA, the words "frozen shock phase" are in quotes, so it appears they were directly quoting her at that point. But were they? I had never heard that expression in my life until this case. I googled it two or three times and every single link came back to this case so, apparently, it's not in common usage.

I know it's meaning has been discussed on here and interpreted as anything from momentarily started to terrified motionless.

There were a couple of articles where "experts" explained what it meant and they were just as all over the place as we were. LOL Something tells me the judge had some questions about what that meant.
It’s a gen Z phrase. MOO just means to be shocked.
MOO my interpretation is she shocked and scared to see a strange man in the house.
MOO I think she thought a roommate had a weird dude in the house.

Is there something in the PCA that is incorrect? If she made those statements, then there is nothing to correct. If LE misquoted her, then there is a problem. I assume she gave a written statement and signed it. or gave a verbal statement, transcribed , and then signed. As far as we know she hasn't objected to anything, so I assume its all correct. If there is a misquote, the DA should bring it up before the defense does. If she just misstated in her interview, she will need to correct that herself. Or just let it go. We don't know what her full statement or statements say. So its tough to say if any correction needs to be made.
I'm not going to argue about it. I have expressed my viewpoint. It is what should have been said by the writer to better limit or prevent emotional harm to a victim that I have a problem with.

Others may not see it that way or agree with me. I'm cool with that.

Just my 2 cents minus inflation :)

IMO, That is a logical step to pursue the DP as that is the ultimate punishment and the fallback position is Life Without Parole if the perp confesses and comes clean about the murders. (Assuming he committed the crimes)

Given that the tone on social media, I understand your concern. Anyone even remotely related to this has been subject to ugly scrutiny including neighbors, boyfriends, families of victims, educatiors, random people at the food truck and the most intense ugly scrutiny has been directed at the two survivors.

I suspect the gag order prevents anyone from officially making a statement but I do know that SG clearly reminded people in one of his last big interviews that they should remember that DM is a victim as well.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members