SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #31

Status
Not open for further replies.

During the trial, Waters asked Murdaugh if he had any evidence to back up the theory that “someone off social media” with a vendetta slipped onto his property and killed Paul and Maggie during the narrow window when he was not with them.

Murdaugh didn’t respond to the question, nor did he elaborate on why Maggie would have been targeted.

Murdaugh’s wild theory came the day after he admitted in court to lying about being near the kennels with his wife and son just moments before they were shot dead.

Murdaugh, who comes from a powerful lineage of South Carolina lawyers, has also admitted on the stand to stealing money and being addicted to opioids at the time of the slayings.
He also said no one else was at the Kennels, which is why the fogs didn't bark. No one the dogs didn't know, which means only Alex could have done it.

He was in a financial dumpster fire. I am now wondering if he was wanting to eliminate some of his dependents, help solve his money problems while distracting from the lawsuit and thefts from the firm. Assets were in Maggies name, he could not borrow against them without her ok, probably would have forged her signature. IIRC, MB testified he lost all of his land investments during the recession. I don’t think they ever cut back on their lifestyle to adjust for that. Bought Moselle after a big settlement instead of paying debt. Looks like the money went to support the expected lifestyle. While he still earned a substantial income, it was not near enough to support 3 houses, trips, etc In 2019 income was 655k.

MOO
In 2014 reported income was over $1M? Alex assumes Waters has a document that says that.
In 2015, $2M; 2016, $900K; 2019, 655K
During that period of time, you were still stealing? Absolutely. Doesn’t dispute that, haven’t disputed since he was confronted on September 4. Stolen money, mislead people he cared about still cares about, loved, and still loves and mislead them all.
During that time, were you borrowing significant amounts of money from Palmetto State Bank? Yes
You had a $1M debt outstanding and $600K line of credit maxed out? Yes
You borrowed money from law partners? From Johnny Parker
And you used the stolen money to pay back those loans? I don’t dispute that
When you needed money, you borrowed from your father? Yes
And you used stolen money to pay back those loans? I don’t dispute that if that’s what records show
Moving to June 7, you were out of liquid funds—money you could readily access? Don’t agree with that. Alex said between January to June of 2021, he could borrow from his father, Parker, the bank, and had equity in the Edisto house in his and Maggie’s name; Moselle was in Maggie’s name it had equity that could be borrowed from; for those reasons, Alex disagrees with Waters that he couldn’t access funds.
The vast majority of money paid to you from the firm comes from the end-of-year bonus? Yes
That’s why you stole Ferris fees? You were in desperate need of funds and couldn’t wait until the bonus? One of the reasons, yes
Any way you cut it, in the end it was definitely all about Money, the Root of All Evil. Pathetic.

I just don’t see it. Most people (or me if I was called) do that right off the bat. If true, yes, she should be dismissed. I’m feeling A Wednesday verdict. Closing should be Monday. In an ideal world the verdict is Monday as well. Late Tuesday makes the most sense… but South Carolina. Been there, done that, so I can say what I just said.
The Defense has 4 witnesses yet to call, the State said they had at least 2 rebuttal witnesses and then you have cross. That could take up most of Monday. Closing arguments on Tuesday, jury has the case by lunch or late on Tuesday. IMO

A verdict, I am guessing Wed afternoon or Thursday at the latest. This jury will want to be home by the weekend for sure.

moo

Alex for the Grammy!
HIs obviously Fake blubbering and angry side glances, along with all his condescending lies showed obvious Guilt to me. We all have watched this closely and been discussing along the way, and I think We have a better idea of the Truth. I am thankful for Members who have been inside the Courtroom, as they had great perspective as well.
Prediction: If the Jury deliberates long, it may be Hung. If shorter, I feel Guilty. No way will All say Not Guilty. MOO
And the beat goes on...

“I would never intentionally do anything to hurt either one of them,” Murdaugh said, tears running down his cheeks.

He said about everything except use the word “kill”

Yes Jersey, exactly what I heard as well. Also, in the Police Building Interview the Officer directly asked him if he Killed his wife and son, and Alex said No firmly.

Now we know why the Bailiff or Lawman stopped all and went to talk to the Judge in the midst of the trial. Letting him know. Maybe they found 'something ' in his cell, all I can think of.
I don't think so. The Guard/lawman called out for no one to leave yet, then walked up to speak to the Judge. Apparently, he wanted Alex to leave First before anyone else, as some people were trying to pass him contraband. Remember the picture of Alex patting his son's butt-No Contact Allowed!

The Defense has 4 witnesses yet to call, the State said they had at least 2 rebuttal witnesses and then you have cross. That could take up most of Monday. Closing arguments on Tuesday, jury has the case by lunch or late on Tuesday. IMO

A verdict, I am guessing Wed afternoon or Thursday at the latest. This jury will want to be home by the weekend for sure.

moo
IF the Judge allows the Defense to have two of them do the Closing, which the Judge has said is not normal and is leaning to not allowing it, then it could take longer. An all day Closing on one side?! UGH! We shall see. The Jury can deliberate as long as they need/
want, so we shall see.

I think testimony given by MM's sister was critical as it relates to why MM was there, because she wasnt normally. it was the last time her sister actually spoke to MM on June 7th around 4 in the afternoon. MM called her and part of the discussion was AM wanting maggie to come to the estate and maggie didnt plan on it and maggie was told by MM that Paul was going to be there. the AM reason for asking maggie per her sister: because of his ailing father and they would go visit his parents together. she encouraged MM to go and be supportive and she did. no doubt in my mind he lured her there because obviously there was no plan to go visit together. her sister encouraged her to go. so sad for her. :(
As usual with AM, he used the good will of others to destroy them. Diabolical criminal who has practiced deception for a career.

IMO, AM does not seem to be much of a businessman. AM testified he was a minority shareholder in the land investment and when the majority owners stopped paying/forfeiting their investment, AM allegedly took on the project 100%. A prudent business person would have forfeited his minority interest too. What part of having to steal funds to meet the expenses of a bad investment makes sense? It's crazy thinking. o_O
Beyond crazy thinking, seems his only skill was schmoozing people.

I need to start planning some normal human being activities for when this trial is over. I will have lots of free time then.
That’s the thing about Websleuths. While we are sitting here, there’s some person somewhere about to commit a horrible crime, kill their family, pick up a runner on the side of the road, etc.

To the next case to follow….wouldn’t it be nice to live in a world where there weren’t literally hundreds of cases to follow. So in theory m you really won’t have a lot of free time!

he testified she would sign papers without question. IMO he would not have been able to do anything with something in her name only. her living arrangements are more than meets the eye IMO. FACT: her housekeeper testified she was upset about the upcoming boat settlement, some $30mil which she said even if she liquidated everything it wouldnt cover it. she had no idea of his thefts at that point. Her reputation and community view of them had shifted significantly and maybe she was going to try to salvage what was left of her life...without him. possibly made up her mind to dump him. just the mere fact her housekeeper said she revealed info she was concerned he was keeping financial info from her, if she was smart, she would have started the digging process. hey, in a divorce, he was in financial ruin which she really didnt know the extent yet. and sadly, never would.
What I find so appalling and unbelievable during the trial, all the documentaries I’ve watched - never did I hear anyone say Alex and/or Maggie were devastated a child died by the hands of their own child. Everything related to money and community shame. But never “the death of Mallory and what she suffered that night and how her parents continued to suffer brought the Murdaugh family down to their knees in grief etc.”.

Alex Murdaugh was not the only shameful person in this family.

I cannot get over him saying he had been up to IT..... It being the crime scene, I guess, but IT??? IT????

Not your wife?? Not your child???

moo
Shows he mentally distanced himself from “it” all to protect himself emotionally and help him lie.

And another time while testifying, he said, “I went down there. I did what I did, and I came back.”
suspicious in so many ways…

Could this be it? Impersonating a police officer w/ badge?

South Carolina Criminal Code 16-17-720: Impersonating Law Enforcement Officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member