GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, importantly, he didn't deny killing them -- he denied hurting them. IMO in his mind he didn't hurt them -- he ambushed them and executed them so quickly that they were dead before they could even fully process what was happening.
It seemed like a confession when he admitted to the judge that he saw his wife and son, all day and all night, everyday.

Judge Newman's commentary was EPIC. There were so many highlights to his personal perspective of the entire situation.
I lost it when he commented that Paul annd Maggie surely visit him nightly in his dreams.

Glad this wasnt a capital murder case because, time and money. Consecutive life sentences - doesnt get any better than that.

I hope in subsequent interviews about this case somebody asks Rogan or others if Paw Paw was a common nickname used. I know it’s a small detail, not relevant to the evidence but dang I’m curious if he made that up for the witness stand which it appears to me he did. Hearing him use it today made my skin crawl Moo
I wonder if it could be an old nickname? It sounds like something a toddler (BM) learning to say Paul might say.

I hope in subsequent interviews about this case somebody asks Rogan or others if Paw Paw was a common nickname used. I know it’s a small detail, not relevant to the evidence but dang I’m curious if he made that up for the witness stand which it appears to me he did. Hearing him use it today made my skin crawl Moo

Yes I would like to know that too. AM didn’t seem to care if he was coming across phoney to his friends or family. He was going for it, all in.

Court is now in session.

Lead prosecutor Creighton Waters says the state has no victim impact statements to offer this morning.

Waters on the evidence: “It shows this man to be a cunning manipulator, a man who placed himself above all others, including his family, a man who violated the trust of so many - including his friends, his family, his partners, his profession, but most of all Maggie and Paul.”

Waters asks for two consecutive life sentences for Murdaugh. “A man like that should never be allowed to be among free, law abiding citizens again.”

Waters offers his condolences to the Murdaugh family. On Maggie and Paul: “Both of them, like everyone else, was unaware of who he really was.”

Waters: No one really knew this man. “I’ve looked in his eyes. He liked to stare me down as he walked by me during this trial. And I could see the real Alex Murdaugh.”

Waters reiterates that none of Murdaugh’s relatives want to speak today.

Murdaugh’s attorneys say they have no comment. But Alex Murdaugh himself stands to speak: “I’m innocent. I would never hurt my wife, Maggie, and I would never hurt my son Paul.” That's it.

Newman: This has been one of the most troubling cases that I’ve handled. “We have a wife who has been killed, murdered, a son savagely murdered, a lawyer - person from a respected family who has control of justice in this community for over a century …”

Newman: "... - a person whose grandfather’s portrait hanged at the back of the courthouse - that I had to have ordered removed in order to ensure that a fair trial was had.”

Newman: “It’s also particularly troubling, Mr. Murdaugh, because as a member of the legal community … you’ve practiced law before me, and we’ve seen each other at various occasions throughout the years. It was especially heartbreaking for me to see you go in the media from …”

Newman: "... being a grieving father who lost their wife and son to being a person indicted and convicted of killing them.”

Newman: “And you’ve engaged in such duplicitous conduct here in the courtroom, here on the witness stand.”

Newman: “Appeals are probably expected or absolutely expected. I would not expect a confession of any kind." Newman notes this case qualifies for the death penalty, though the state did not seek it here.

Newman: “Over the past century, your family - including you - have been prosecuting people here in this courtroom, and many have received the death penalty - probably for lesser conduct.”

Newman: On the witness stand, you said “oh what a tangled web we weave.” What did you mean by that? Murdaugh: “I meant that I lied and continued to lie.” Newman: “The question is, when will it end? When will it end?”

Newman: “A notice of alibi was filed in this case by counsel in November. We conducted a pretrial hearing in which you claimed to have been someplace else at the time the crime was committed.”

Newman: "Then, after all the witnesses placed you at the scene of the crime, at the last minute or days, you switched courses and admitted to being there.”

Newman: You will reflect on the last time they (Maggie and Paul) looked you in the eyes.

Newman says he is surprised Murdaugh didn’t say more today other than claiming his innocence.

Murdaugh: “I’ll tell you again. I respect this court, but I am innocent, and I would never under any circumstances hurt my wife, Maggie, and I would never under any circumstances hurt my son Paul.”

Newman: “It might not have been you. It might have been the monster you’ve become. If you take 20, 40, 50, 60 opioid pills, you become a different person.”

Newman on the remaining cases in the Murdaugh saga: “But there are other victims whose cases deserve to be heard. This case has jumped some of the other cases.”

Newman: Law enforcement has been maligned in this trial for the past 5-6 weeks “by one who had access to the wheels of justice, to be able to deflect the investigation.”

Newman on the pressures AM was facing 6/7/21. “But amazingly, to have you come and testify that it was just another ordinary day, that my wife and son and I were out just enjoying life. Not credible. Not believable.”

Newman: “You could convince yourself,” but clearly you could not convince anyone else.

Judge Newman sentences Alex Murdaugh to LIFE IN PRISON for the murders of his wife, Maggie, and son Paul. Sentences will run consecutively.

I liked when the Judge basically told Alex even if your world was crumbling down that day and you were high on pills, it was still You that killed your Wife and Son. I think in Alex's mind he consided himself a different person and that person wouldn't "hurt" his family.
I loved this Judge.

Well he def got Smoked! A shame he still believes in his innocence. No emotion. At least the judge made him squirm for a few minutes. What an epic fall from grace! This is going to be looked at as the Great American Tragedy. It had a little bit of everything and I suspect we've only scratch the surface of this man's depravity. I hope the truth of everything comes out one day. For now, I tired of looking at this monster's face.
I believe we are going to be hearing a lot more about dirty deeds Alex & Company have been up to in the months ahead. But like you, I am glad to be rid of seeing his duplicitous, dark, eyes. Now he can go and just be a number SC Inmate #BR549123 (ex.)

MOO

No one spoke on behalf of Maggie and Paul! Does this mean they don’t think he did it? I can’t imagine any other reason.

Judge is so disgusted with AM and has no doubt he did it! Consecutive LWOP!

I will say if I were innocent and in front of the judge sentencing me to life I would be shaking/losing my mind. AM was so composed and rehearsed in his denial!
Maggie‘s sister testified on the stand, that she believed in his innocence until the roadside shooting then things started to change". I do not believe she thinks he is innocent, I understand her maintaining her privacy, which she has done throughout this trial. If she is at peace with not making her feelings public, I am OK with that. In today’s social media environment I think sometimes the less said the better, no telling what it opens you up to making yourself visible. As far as Alex’s sisters and brothers if they do feel, I know that he did it. I don’t think they would ever say that publicly or say anything that they would view shaming the family. MOO

AM proclaims his "innocence". Nice move, Judge Newman told him, "It probably wasn't you, but the monster created by your opioid addiction.".

Maybe that is true. Talking heads on Court tv state that "narcissists don't usually commit suicide". Interesting. I have never heard that, and I don't believe it.

Yeah, he just had to use “Paw Paw” in those few words he spoke to the judge

Alec had an opportunity to ask for mercy from the court, to tell his first truth.

But how can you confess to the lies when you yourself are the lie?

The judge was reasonable, tempered, fair.

Alec earned his two life sentences and he earned them consecutively.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member