GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was the first person in his family to be born in a hospital.

“For many South Carolina residents, the optics of watching Newman, 71, who is African American and grew up going to the state’s segregated schools, rule with such finality over the fate of the scion of one of the most powerful legal families in the state was astonishing. So were the sometimes scathing but also heartfelt words Newman spoke to Murdaugh, often sounding more like a pastor than a judge”

What's your source on the 9/3 vote? How did we establish this?

As all I've read in MSM is 11/1 and I believe that's from the juror who spoke on GMA. Then there's the other juror who said it took them 45 minutes to get from 11/1 to unanimous. Getting from 9/3 to unanimous in 45 minutes must be a world record.

Anyway, would be much obliged if you share your source on that one (I probably missed it).

Totally agree with you about it not being a reversible error if in fact 3 people contacted Judge Newman to say she was discussing the case out of turn (which it appears is what happened). He had no choice.

IMO.
Initial straw vote showed 9 guilty, 2 not guilty, 1 not sure. Juror speaks out after Alex Murdaugh found guilty in murder of wife, son

I agree! I think regardless of what one believes personally, there is something connecting and calming about prayer. Having a unified jury that starts the day wanting to see the truth and hear the evidence with good open clear minds is wonderful.

Also of note was when the dismissed juror said one brought in eggs for them, it showed they were connected as a group from their time eating meals and having breaks together.

Oh and one more note, I like that they were able to write down questions they had on the breaks and that stayed in the jury room, but it also helped them remember what question they had and if they were answered during the testimony.
Amen and we call it by many names, a higher power, karma and so on. One cannot keep knocking on the Devils door and not expect someone to answer it sooner or later.

I agree with removing her. Doesn't matter what she said. The fact that she said anything was a violation of the oath she took. DH balking at her removal by taking the position that what she said wasn't that bad just shows how little regard he has for rules and the judicial system as a whole. He's the perfect lawyer for AM. Two of a kind.
Exactly.

Furthermore, since she discussed her opinions freely, against her oath, her opinion in favor of AM had clearly gotten back to the defense.

That is like the “NO-est” of the “no-nos.”

And, as you said, DH was ready to roll with it if he could have.

I am quite happy that since the defense trucked in a State Senator, the prosecution countered with the State Attorney General.
I hope the good people of South Carolina do not re-elect Dick Harpootlian, if he’s eligible for re-election.

JMO

[bbm]

but this article says cell phone data and car data put him there - did this juror forget about that?

That's 2 different jurors. One spoke out on Friday and is a carpenter named Craig Moyer. The other is from today and is a 22 year old who works in construction who wants to go only by James. See my links in last post on the previous page.

Brilliant, the juror answered the question about not taking notes during the trial:

The jurors were not allowed to take notes throughout the six-week trial. However, James said he and his fellow jurors wrote down questions they had on paper in the jury room during 15-minute breaks. Sometimes, those questions were answered during testimony in the trial. The unanswered questions were discussed in the jury room following an initial vote that had Murdaugh guilty 9-3.

“We did have a few that were not on the same page, so we did like an anonymous vote, in the beginning, to see where everybody was at and make sure everybody was on the same page,” James said. “Once we found that out, we kind of just opened the floor for anybody, whoever had questions, and then we would talk through those. We had the evidence in the other room.”

James said the jurors were asked whether or not they wanted to order dinner Thursday evening about 30 minutes before they took the second vote, leading to a unanimous guilty verdict. The jurors were still working through some of the questions they had compiled.

For example, James said some jurors were not familiar with firearms, so they didn’t understand how shell casings from the 300 Blackout rifle Paul Murdaugh used near the home with a friend in spring 2021 could be determined to come from the same firearm as shell casings from the crime scene without having the firearm for comparison.

The rifle used to kill Maggie Murdaugh has never been found. A firearms examiner testified that a shotgun that Alex Murdaugh had with him when Colleton County deputies arrived at the scene the night of the murders could not be ruled in or out as the weapon that killed Paul.

ETA: I recall the undecided juror had questions about the shell casings and the explanation by his/her fellow jurors obviously satisfied the concern.

Per the first juror that spoke out right away. I don't recall his name but he was on a major msm station...cbs or one of them. He was clear 9 guilty, 2 ng and 1 undecided.
He was the guy who was on GMA the morning after the verdict. Yes, he said to start it was 9 G, 2 NG, 1 undecided.

The juror interview on watched on GMA said 9 guilty, 2 not guilty, 1 not sure, 45mins - 1 hour to discuss and have 12 guilty

Wow. Thank you for that. I saw it quoted elsewhere differently. Just went and listened - that's exactly what he says. And he seems quite trustworthy.

Amazing that it took only 45-60 minutes to get 3 jurors to come around.

Much obliged for narrowing that down for me!!

Will someone please explain how the 9 jurors were able to convince the 2 jurors that thought AM was not guilty to change their views?
Or really just in general?

The man on GMA says it came down to "the evidence" and then first mentions the kennel video (and we hear Alec's voice) and then apparently the times of the murders were agreed upon (somehow).

Personally, though, my view is that when you have an exhausted jury and 9 people are on one side, everyone knows the game. They could argue and argue, but 2 are not going to convince 9. The undecided person probably indicated quickly that they could see their way to a guilty vote. Why the other 2 people changed their minds, I don't know, but perhaps they decided to see if they could get consensus on when, exactly, the two victims were murdered. They surely used the prosecution's times (phone times). That put Alec there almost as it happened (and that young man who was texting Paul let police know that he could hear Alex there - and Paul stops texting). Alec calls that young man many times (probably going to try and "fix" the situation somehow).

At any rate, that agreement on time and manner of death, along with the video and the young man's testimony may have done it.

It's a fascinating topic.

IMO.

Will someone please explain how the 9 jurors were able to convince the 2 jurors that thought AM was not guilty to change their views?
Or really just in general?
Look for Seattle 1's post about 3 before yours above (you probably missed it while posting). It explains how they came to agreement.

How about a poll. Did you think AM was the suspect before he was arrested?

I did.

Jmo

What's odd is while I thought he was a suspect, I also thought... good luck on proving it. ETA: Actually, it might have been the "suicide" attempt that made me think he was the suspect.

I thought the power and control of the M's (and pals) would prevent getting to the truth. I really wasn't even interested in watching the trial and had it on in the background while doing other things... not even paying that much attention. But, little by little, day by day more info began to come to light and I was interested. And, then learning AM would be taking the stand... well, well, I'm in for that show! From the first high-pitched tone of his the voice, the first snot rocket from his nose, and the first utterance of "Pau-Pau"... well, that was it for me. Things just went from there that kept proving his guilt.

jmo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads