NC NC - Madalina Cojocari, 11, reported Missing Dec 2022 three Weeks After Last Seen, Cornelius, *Parents Arrested* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really hard to know which way to think in this case since we still know very little. I do have a question though, for those who might tend to think Diana disappeared Madalina to protect her from something.

If that's the case, what's stopping her from disclosing the truth about where she is, to the authorities?
In other words, who is she protecting?

Not sure if the warrant has been posted

If Diana disappeared Madalina between the time CP left for MI (the morning of the 24th, after her and him allegedly fought the night before) and the time he got back (on the 26th), and wanted to set up CP for her disappearance, his alleged response to Diana in point #3 on page 5 makes a heck of a lot more sense. She claims to have waited until CP got back home on the 26th to ask him where Madalina was, to which he then asked her the same in return. A perfectly reasonable thing for him to say, if Madalina wasn't there when he got back.

It makes even more sense to me that she disappeared that girl during that time since CP has said she wasn't there when he got back from MI, and since when she was speaking this Octavian person on 12.2 about "smuggling" (future tense) Madalina, according to her own statement, she hasn't even seen Madalina since 11.23 at 2200. According to her, Madalina had already been missing for 8 days when she had that "extensive communication". It smells like an attempt at an alibi.

It's really hard to know which way to think in this case since we still know very little. I do have a question though, for those who might tend to think Diana disappeared Madalina to protect her from something.

If that's the case, what's stopping her from disclosing the truth about where she is, to the authorities?
No idea.
My question is where did she want to be smuggled to?

She had a vehicle.
Where did she want to go?
Or did she?

If Diana disappeared Madalina between the time CP left for MI (the morning of the 24th, after her and him allegedly fought the night before) and the time he got back (on the 26th), and wanted to set up CP for her disappearance, his alleged response to Diana in point #3 on page 5 makes a heck of a lot more sense. She claims to have waited until CP got back home on the 26th to ask him where Madalina was, to which he then asked her the same in return. A perfectly reasonable thing for him to say, if Madalina wasn't there when he got back.

It makes even more sense to me that she disappeared that girl during that time since CP has said she wasn't there when he got back from MI, and since when she was speaking this Octavian person on 12.2 about "smuggling" (future tense) Madalina, according to her own statement, she hasn't even seen Madalina since 11.23 at 2200. According to her, Madalina had already been missing for 8 days when she had that "extensive communication". It smells like an attempt at an alibi.
I'm getting that sense too but I hope I am wrong.
Ditto re passports.

Yes, circumstances may change as more information comes out but right now I’m not seeing much that indicates Diana was a victim of domestic violence or afraid of CP other than her own statements.

We know she lied to her family about reporting Madalina missing so IMO all her statements should be taken with a grain of salt.

So far it was her car that the drug dog alerted to. It’s her relatives who appear to be involved in some sort of drug activity. It was Diana who last saw Madalina. She said she and CP argued, which implies she wasn’t afraid to do so.

I dunno, I’m not ready to say Diana is a victim of anything. IMO the only victim here is Madalina!

On the human smuggling part, the warrant on the last page, second to last sentence, is where the human smuggling comes into play. That part is based on "affiant's training and experience" that persons associated with drug activity are also associated with human smuggling.

So it's not that the people they were calling were known human smugglers, it's that in the detective's experience, those who deal in drugs also deal in human smuggling.

This is something the DEA talks about as well (I"m on my HOA board and we get briefed by local police on gang activity, drug activity, etc. so this comes up often and they often provide us with handouts from the DEA on various matters).
Thanks @Lawnguylander1964 This is a point well-taken. I attended a trafficking conference a fews years back in my city. We learned that human and drug smuggling often go hand-in-hand. This was a very eye-opening learning experience.

Thank you! I have only seen snip its.
This is interesting. Diana's Mother and Diana were asking for help smuggling Diana & Madalina away from home.

"In an interview with Octavian Cebanu(adistant relative ofDiana) he stated that Diana Cojocari and her mother asked him if he would assist Diana with “smuggling” her and Madalina Cojocari away from the residence. Octavian stated that she told him she was in a bad relationship with co-defendant Christopher Palmiter and wanted a divorce."
AND HER MOTHER? that sure adds another level

My thought process would be she is protecting Madalina. IF her hiding her is legit. The fact that LE already had wire taps separately on these phone lines pre Madalina tells me the people potentially involved are not just a small group of street drug dealers.

Even if CP was not in trouble with this group of people, IF DC used them to hide Madalina for some reason, hiding her could cause issues for them if DC came out with the truth. At this point she might see it as better to just keep her mouth shut. She could be more scared of them instead of what LE can do to her.

I don't know that she knew any traffickers. Her distant relative did.

This changes the calculus for me.

Perhaps she's willing to go silently to prison if it means her daughter is safe. Until I know more, perhaps she had no other way. We don't know the power dynamic, if there is one.

Me, I'm holding out hope that M is somewhere safe.

JMO
Getting possible smugglers involved suggests that the girl's situation is worse, not better. I hope that proves to be wrong.

IMO it seems most are thinking of this random family member that has Drug Trafficking ties. However, this MSM reporter gave the name Octavian. Octavian is the name of someone who had a Christmas stocking on the fireplace in the photos on FB. He may be distantly related but he seems to have been really close to the family. So it is possible he had a relationship with Madalina, could even be a close relationship. If he himself feared she was in trouble, he might have no problem calling any and all connections to keep her safe.

It seems like having her passport in the car meant they thought of leaving the country by what everyone would consider normal. But since DC still had the passports, either they didn't leave the country or someone helped MC cross the borders behind the scenes, which I cannot think would be too hard for drug traffickers. This is all my guessing and speculation based of the thought process that she was handed off to someone for protection.

I think it could be possible that CP was involved in drug trafficking through DC's Connections and somehow got them into trouble. Just my guessing and thought process.
Do we know that these are the same Octavians? Maybe the Christmas stocking Octavian is named after the distant relative, or Octavian is a family name that reappears in the family?

agree with the alibi attempt, just tell the whole truth already.... If Madalina is safe and in hiding, it would be safe at this point to bring her home... I fear the worst.

Do we know that these are the same Octavians? Maybe the Christmas stocking Octavian is named after the distant relative, or Octavian is a family name that reappears in the family?
Not that MSM was confirmed and sleuthing someone who is not named a suspect and posting their info here is against TOS.

i'm wondering what the issue date of her bank card was and how much funding it allowed her to access?
Was she trafficked? I doubt the cop just threw it in there along with the drug trafficking links of her contact. Especially following the description of her alleged conversation with him
By who to who for how much?
Who gained?
Why ask relative about springing herself and the child 10 days or so after child allegedly disappeared?
Who else did she communicate with prior to Madalina's disappearance?
Are there records? If there are and the police have them but not Madalina they can't be very useful.
How many phones did she own?
Either or both ?

It doesn't feel right.
Is all.

A needle in a haystack': New warrants provide glimmer of hope that Madalina Cojocari is alive​

Search warrants obtained by WCNC Charlotte show the case is now taking a different direction as police investigate possible connections to drug and human trafficking.

The revelation Diana Cojocari had asked a distant family member to help “smuggle” her and her daughter away from her husband adds a new element to the investigation. According to the U.S. State Department, 41% of human trafficking experiences are facilitated by family members.

“That does change the dynamic,” M. Quentin Williams, a former FBI agent not involved in the case said.

From the start of the investigation, Cojocari maintained that she did not know where her daughter was.

“We all know if we don’t recover someone in the first 24 hours the trail starts getting colder and colder,” Roy Taylor, a law enforcement consultant also not involved in this case, said.

“I would be working closely with the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Federal Bureau of Investigation and comparing the names that we have and developed in this investigation with people that are known associates,” Taylor said.

It broadens the investigation but also presents new challenges.

“Now we can start looking, doing a Venn diagram of family members and known associates and friends and their involvement in drugs, so it gives another investigative tool and gives more hope that the young girl is still alive,” Taylor said. “Maybe she was able to be smuggled to another area with family or friends who can keep her safe so that’s our hope, but we just don’t know.”

Both Taylor and Williams said untangling the web of a human trafficking ring can be extremely tedious and difficult.
“It’s a needle in a haystack,” Williams said.

There is more at the link.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads