4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #81

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was the old police department which they vacated maybe 2 months before to the events. They have a new (probably state of the art) station on Highway 95 headed south towards Lewiston.

Perhaps he did not know? They have not relocated their address when you Google them, so interesting.
I’m apparently unable to skip any opportunity to share info about my home town, LOL!

For those interested in learning more about MPD:
Police | Moscow, ID

“In January 2022, after several years of planning and the successful passage of a voter-approved bond, the Moscow Police Department moved from an 8800-square-foot facility that originally operated as a creamery nearly a century ago, to a brand new 15,300 square-foot facility.”

Did his registration expire before he renewed it? Not understanding. MOO
No, apologies for not being clear. I was addressing the speculation here that there was nothing necessarily suspicious about the timing of BK’s application to change the vehicle registration/title from PA to WA 5 days after the murder.

I do find the timing curious. Just MOO.

That was the old police department which they vacated months before (not sure when exactly) the events. They have a new (probably state of the art) station on Highway 95 headed south towards Lewiston.

Perhaps he did not know? They have not relocated their address when you Google them, so interesting.

True. They should have had cameras. Also ATMs provided so much city coverage.

No, apologies for not being clear. I was addressing the speculation here that there was nothing necessarily suspicious about the timing of BK’s application to change the vehicle registration/title from PA to WA 5 days after the murder.

I do find the timing curious. Just MOO.
Thank you! So just to clear my own mind, he didn't wait for his PA regsistration to expire thus "...foolishly screwing himself out of in-state tuition for the first semester of the next academic year"? Because that might change the context and allow for the timing of his plate renewal/change over to be viewed in a different light. But this did not happen? TIA!

Thank you! So just to clear my own mind, he didn't wait for his PA regsistration to expire thus "...foolishly screwing himself out of in-state tuition for the first semester of the next academic year"? Because that might change the context and allow for the timing of his plate renewal/change over to be viewed in a different light. But this did not happen? TIA!

He did wait for the registration to expire (or about to expire). His PA registration expired in November 2022, so he had to register his car before November 30, 2022.

I don't think we know. And it doesn't really matter, because he was on a clock wherein he needed to establish residency in a timely manner in order to get the tuition break. Perhaps he did wait until the prior registration had come to an end (in which case, he might have been cutting corners with the fine print of the tuition policy at WSU; no way to know easily). He was out of compliance, legally and could have faced a fine as it was:

I would assume that WSU policy would be in accord with WA Vehicle Code. He had 30 days to re-register. And maybe he did re-register and had a paper registration and it took them two months to send the plate (long time, in my view).

IMO.

Replying to self: He did the swapover from PA to WA plates on Nov 18th and expiration was the 30th, though there was a wait before he received the new plates. But seems within the normal time limits. MOO.

Thanks for making my point much clearer than I did! It’s really interesting to me to see the different interpretations of the scarce available info & how it can shift over time. I appreciate so much folks sharing things that haven’t occurred to me, even if it doesn’t settle things in my mind.

Replying to self: He did the swapover from PA to WA plates on Nov 18th and expiration was the 30th, though there was a wait before he received the new plates. But seems within the normal time limits. MOO.

Again, in MOO, students attempting to establish residency for in-state tuition purposes at UI or WSU generally get going right away, so the decision to not register his vehicle in WA until 5 days after the murders (and well after the 30 days allowed by law) rather than when he arrived in July cost him thousands of dollars & is curious to me.

Especially if, as WSers here have speculated, BK had no intention of returning to WSU following Winter break.

I don't think we know. And it doesn't really matter, because he was on a clock wherein he needed to establish residency in a timely manner in order to get the tuition break. Perhaps he did wait until the prior registration had come to an end (in which case, he might have been cutting corners with the fine print of the tuition policy at WSU; no way to know easily). He was out of compliance, legally and could have faced a fine as it was:

I would assume that WSU policy would be in accord with WA Vehicle Code. He had 30 days to re-register. And maybe he did re-register and had a paper registration and it took them two months to send the plate (long time, in my view).

IMO.
Moscow suspect Bryan Kohberger changed title of Hyundai Elantra five days after murders

“According to a public records request filed by KTVB, Kohberger, 28, applied to transfer the title of the Elantra from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, which was issued on April 20, 2022, to Whitman County, Washington, on Nov. 18, 2022. It was then issued Dec. 5, 2022. Records show the vehicle was also registered.”

HTH

The University recommends that out of state students switch their car registrations over to Washington registrations to help establish in state residency, to save money. Out of state residents pay more. I think Bryan's TA position gave him in state tuition prices as a perk.

By switching to Washington it looks like he thought he might still be employed as a TA. Had he planned not to come back then no reason to change to Washington plates.

It's never been established if he thought he might keep his job and be back.

IMO.
I don't think we know whether he was out of compliance with the WA Vehicle Code or at least I don't. The link on that code you provided says it applies to people who move to WA AND are considered residents. It further says "You are considered a resident when you register to vote, receive state benefits, apply for any state license at residential rates, or seek in-state tuition rates." Honestly we don't know if he'd done any of those things prior or to November, do we? I know I don't. There's no reason to suspect he'd applied for in-state tuition rates yet (although he got a waiver from being a TA) and I doubt TA pay is considered a "state benefit." Do we know if he'd registered to vote?

According to this story, he received the WA plate on Dec 5.

So he was driving with PA plates well past the deadline of Nov 30 assuming he drove the car between Dec 1& Dec 5. (The link also notes the affidavit noted the PA plate expired Nov 30.) I know in my state, a receipt showing the new plate has been ordered can be shown to LE if it doesn't arrive in time. At any rate, he doesn't appear to have been stopped for having an expired plate. And it's unclear to me if he was in violation of the Vehicle Code.

JMO

Last edited:
I’m apparently unable to skip any opportunity to share info about my home town, LOL!

For those interested in learning more about MPD:
Police | Moscow, ID

“In January 2022, after several years of planning and the successful passage of a voter-approved bond, the Moscow Police Department moved from an 8800-square-foot facility that originally operated as a creamery nearly a century ago, to a brand new 15,300 square-foot facility.”
And I'm really glad that you share that info. Love your work!

Here's something interesting to me about LE collecting the surveillance footage in Troy and Kendrick. According to this article, on Nov. 30, they asked for footage from the Food City store in Kendrick.

Idaho murders: Investigators traveled at least 24 miles to collect surveillance video related to the killings

According to this article, Moscow LE asked regional LE to look for the white Elantra on Nov. 25, then three nights later is when the WSU officer ran a query for white Elantras on campus, which came back with the one from PA, and 30 min later the campus officer located BK's car.

The white sedan: How police tracked down Idaho killings suspect Bryan Kohberger

So LE didn't ask for surveillance in Kendrick until 2 days AFTER they knew who owned the suspected car. IDK why, but that's interesting to me...
Bet someone at the store called in a tip. JMO

Again, in MOO, students attempting to establish residency for in-state tuition purposes at UI or WSU generally get going right away, so the decision to not register his vehicle in WA until 5 days after the murders (and well after the 30 days allowed by law) rather than when he arrived in July cost him thousands of dollars & is curious to me.

Especially if, as WSers here have speculated, BK had no intention of returning to WSU following Winter break.
They use license plates to establish residency? Any time I’ve had to has been with a gas/electric bill.

Regarding WA State plates:
  • First, you must get your Washington (WA) driver license, then register your vehicle(s). You have 30 days to do this after you've moved here.
  • We have different offices for driver licensing and vehicle licensing. You won't be able to get your license and register your vehicle at the same place.
  • If you go into the office, you’ll get the plates right away. If you apply online, it may take up to 3 weeks from the date your application is received.

There is a pass you can print out online that will allow you to get over the "expired plate" issue until the new ones are received. His were expiring, so he had the choice of renewing in PA or, if he wanted to be a WA resident and/or receive state benefits or in-state tuition, he had to become a WA resident.

Other potential deciding factors - taxes and tuition:

There is no state income tax in WA, but there is in PA. That may also have been a factor. Even if he earned income in WA, part-year residents are subject to PA personal income tax on all income earned, received and realized from all sources when residents of PA.

One of the most common sources of funding is the graduate assistantship. Assistantship appointments provide financial support to a graduate student who engages in teaching, research, and/or service. Departments and programs generally make assistantship offers during the admissions process; however, current students may be eligible for an assistantship in their program if funding is available. Graduate assistantships may include a tuition waiver, health insurance, and a monthly stipend.

Assistantship Tuition Waivers

Graduate assistants who maintain at least a half-time (20 hrs. /wk.) appointment are eligible for full tuition waivers. Students appointed a quarter time assistantship (10 hrs./wk.) are eligible for half tuition waivers. To qualify for a tuition waiver, students must reside within the state of Washington. Non-resident graduate students on assistantship appointments are eligible for a non-resident waiver for the out-of-state portion of tuition during the first year they are on assistantship appointment at WSU. During that first year, students are responsible for taking all necessary steps to establish legal residency in the state of Washington. If residency is not established, non-resident graduate students will be responsible for non-resident tuition after their first academic year. International students are provided an out-of-state tuition waiver with their assistantship appointment throughout their academic career.

They use license plates to establish residency? Any time I’ve had to has been with a gas/electric bill.
Here's a list of what WSU requires for proof of residency Establishing Residency

Proof of residency for 12 months is required along with things like car registration. Honestly I've never heard of a state giving in-state tuition based only on a utility bill. That would seem to suggest all undergrads who live off-campus and pay for utilities would be eligible for in-state tuition. At any rate, WSU requires a long list of things.
JMO

Here's a list of what WSU requires for proof of residency Establishing Residency

Proof of residency for 12 months is required along with things like car registration. Honestly I've never heard of a state giving in-state tuition based only on a utility bill. That would seem to suggest all undergrads who live off-campus and pay for utilities would be eligible for in-state tuition. At any rate, WSU requires a long list of things.
JMO
Bryan got his out-of-state tuition waived while he worked on establishing his residency.

Ph.D. Students Departmental Funding:

Students funded by the department with a Teaching Assistantships (TA) or Research Assistantships (RA) receive a specified stipend each month (for nine months), health insurance benefits, and an in-state tuition waiver (for WA state residents).
Out-of-state tuition is waived the first year until the student establishes residency.

Graduate Student Support and Funding​

CRM J graduate students are funded by teaching or research assistantships. The majority of internal department funding is typically reserved for Ph.D. students, which are eligible for three to four years of teaching assistantship support. Additionally, Ph.D. and M.A. students may be eligible for a research assistantship with a faculty member depending on the faculty needs.

Teaching Assistantships:

Teaching Assistants are obligated to provide 20 hours of instruction-based service per week. The awarding of teaching assistantships is a very competitive process. There are two types of TAs: support and independent section TAs. Independent section TAs teach their own class.

Support TA positions assist a faculty member teaching a large course, usually with over 80 students.

(It sounds like Bryan was a support TA)

Last edited:
Proof of residency for 12 months is required along with things like car registration. Honestly I've never heard of a state giving in-state tuition based only on a utility bill.

Whoops, we double-dipped @NCWatcher! Deleting mine. I have been through the process of proving in-state residency and IME a utility bill alone doesn't work in my state :)

He'd have to have proof of identity to get his DL. By the time he had that, the plates are easier.

I wonder if he got an enhanced DL, too?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members