4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m in the minority as I tend to think these were his first murders—he was so bad at covering his tracks in many different ways—especially bad for someone in his field of study. I believe someone said in the early days that this could be the work of a budding serial killer and I was skeptical; however, after reading a bit, it seems most serial killers make their first kill in their late 20s.

The other two most common characteristics are bed wetting and humiliation. Animal harm is pretty high on the list and there are other things.

The speed and “overkill” might mean first-timer. Leaving the sheath behind, leaving a digital trail, could be indicative of inexperience. Time will tell. JMO
There is a really interesting paper from the FBI on “Serial Murderers” …. and cites many true crime cases as references ….

It does support your thinking….about possibly being his first murder… especially with the mistakes he appears to have made ….

Offenders committing a crime for the first time are inexperienced. They gain experience and confidence with each new offense, eventually succeeding with few mistakes or problems.

And…

A serial murderer’s motives may evolve both within a single murder as well throughout the murder series.

Pub 2005

Edit to add: I agree with your hypothesis about possibly being the first time for the killer due to the amount of errors … but JMO

Last edited:
I’m in the minority as I tend to think these were his first murders—he was so bad at covering his tracks in many different ways—especially bad for someone in his field of study. I believe someone said in the early days that this could be the work of a budding serial killer and I was skeptical; however, after reading a bit, it seems most serial killers make their first kill in their late 20s.
And I think he was mostly living at his parents house up until the phd move? Do we know if and for how long had he lived on his own before? Might be hard to actually pull off a murder, especially stuff like stabbing, while living with mum, dad and sister(s) etc?

If there are periods when he lived alone, I'd look into these periods for possible previous assaults or murders.

For the most part, serial murder involves strangers with no visible relationship between the offender

I personally believe, as this case progresses there will be a “link“ of some sort between the offender and one or more of the victims ….

I don’t believe this case was an “out of the blue“ slaughter of four young people, even though any potential motive or reason for it, will not make any sense whatsoever to a reasonable person….
JMO

And I think he was mostly living at his parents house up until the phd move? Do we know if and for how long had he lived on his own before? Might be hard to actually pull off a murder, especially stuff like stabbing, while living with mum, dad and sister(s) etc?

If there are periods when he lived alone, I'd look into these periods for possible previous assaults or murders.
Both degrees at DeSales, close to home ….

Kohberger received his undergraduate degree in psychology in 2018. After that, he began master’s degree studies in criminal justice, also at DeSales University.

As a commuter student,
Kohberger came and went from DeSales’ campus during his undergraduate psychology studies.

Edit to add: He also commuted to NCC

Northampton Community College, or NCC, where Kohberger received an associates of arts and psychology degree in 2018.

“Northampton Community College is a beautiful school. It’s a well respected academic institution,” Hauck said. “I would call it a pillar in the community, there’s a lot of kids that go.”

Kohberger himself commuted about 50 minutes from Albrightsville to the NCC’s Bethlehem campus while studying for the degree.

Last edited:
The Mad Greek....

I have no idea how long the manager has been managing there but is it possible that BK had in fact not been there in the fall of 2022.... but had been, when he may have been scoping out his prospective grad school town? Maybe much earlier than anyone considered. Maybe at a time other employees worked there and a different manager managed...

Maybe he didn't even eat there. Scoped it out. Sniff test, as it were... chatted outside with an employee... who wouldn't give him her home address...

Jmo
BK being such a staunch, dedicated vegan, I'd wager he had been to MG on more than one occasion. There is no way an owner, manger or whatever can remember every single customer in and out of their restaurant.

I feel bad if this has hurt their business, they have no culpability regardless.

All MOO

I believe that Dateline prattled about the ‘panty raid in car’ incident, which occurred in the spring of 2022—a time when, although it might have been physically possible for BK to be in Washington, there’s no evidence that he was anywhere but Pennsylvania.

MOO
Did BK visit WSU in person for a time before he enrolled?

It's possible although I expect virtual visits for prospective students were still common in spring 2022. Most schools started that approach earlier in the pandemic.

For me the issue with the press bringing up the car/underwear incident is there is absolutely no evidence BK was anywhere but the East Coast at the time. So it becomes a "prove he wasn't there" situation.
JMO

I don’t know the answer specifically to your question, but his father came over with him initially to help set him up in his unit etc..And helped to try and introduce him to other people that lived in the same unit complex.

Martinez, who lives just across the hall from Kohberger’s old apartment, says he remembers the accused killer moving to the area in summer 2022.

“I met his dad in the parking lot. He just stopped and started talking to me,” Martinez said. “His dad was wanting to introduce me to Bryan. And he said something, I don’t remember the exact word he used to describe him, but it was something that was like, ‘He has a hard time making friends,’ or, ‘He’s kind of shy,’” Martinez explained.

But I did find that a few weeks before the murders that BK was hanging out at University of Idaho

A law enforcement source recently told media that they believe Kohberger spent some time on the University of Idaho campus.

Last edited:
It's possible although I expect virtual visits for prospective students were still common in spring 2022. Most schools started that approach earlier in the pandemic.

For me the issue with the press bringing up the car/underwear incident is there is absolutely no evidence BK was anywhere but the East Coast at the time. So it becomes a "prove he wasn't there" situation.
JMO
IMO, it points towards another possible suspect? Not a very strong suspect, but LE should have investigated. The defence could try and use it.

IMO, it points towards another possible suspect? Not a very strong suspect, but LE should have investigated. The defence could try and use it.
Yes! IMO, I thought Dateline was trying to introduce the idea that there could have been another criminal lurking around, but also balanced with the idea that "it could have been BK". Very dramatic, tho

Yes! IMO, I thought Dateline was trying to introduce the idea that there could have been another criminal lurking around, but also balanced with the idea that "it could have been BK". Very dramatic, tho
RBBM

I was just reading an older article in the Idaho Statesman…. that mentions possible passengers….

What if BK was just the driver???

Police first asked for the public’s help in locating a white 2011-13 Hyundai Elantra on Dec. 7, stating that they believed the driver or any passengers had knowledge that could help the investigation.

This thought most likely falls into the possible category, rather than probable ….

<modsnip>

I'd say that all of the serial offenders I've interviewed try to cover up, afterwards, but keep working the same criminal veins they worked before. Antisocial types are characterized by not feeling much - until they are caught then they are self-interested. I'm not talking about formal diagnostics, but about the kinds of traits that both LE and others regard as "antisocial."

I think there was definitely a trigger for this crime. I think BK had been in that neighborhood before, for whatever reasons, and that he was planning crimes as he went along his criminology route. Maybe he thought it was just "thinking and planning, in order to be a better criminologist; to understand the criminal mind."

Perhaps the ejection from his doctoral program meant that he "went to the dark side" with his knowledge about crime. I can definitely picture that. Perhaps, like Elliot Rodger, he had quite a mental map of what crimes he wanted to commit and in what style and what order.

IMO.

Thank you for this information. In your opinion, would you say that some people who are fairly antisocial or 'outsider' become desirable of being institutionalised if their life plan hasn't worked out? A form of 'death by cop' sort of exit plan but still alive? I wonder if maybe they're particularly angry about something or have an obsessive desire to perpetrate something, they may set aside usual inhibitions and 'just do it', possibly having been thwarted in their life goals?

I'm asking this as my personal opinion is that BK could have felt very thwarted in many aspects, rightly or wrongly. I have personally observed people throw in the towel and give up trying to be a decent human being, albeit in far less horrific ways, and harm others by making that decision. Not like this of course but the gist of it is they no longer value or have hope for their own life so decide to cross the threshold to enacting a sadistic rage that an average person would call antisocial, criminal, immoral, and beyond any comprehension. JMO MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Best he could get is not guilty. Being found innocent isn't possible. But, MOO, his relatives won't have to worry about awkwardness, I don't see family reunions with him happening anytime soon or later.
If guilty he victimized everyone close to him as well.
The betrayal of the support and care he recieved from his parents is
heartbreaking. Massive waste of son space.

RBBM

I was just reading an older article in the Idaho Statesman…. that mentions possible passengers….

Police first asked for the public’s help in locating a white 2011-13 Hyundai Elantra on Dec. 7, stating that they believed the driver or any passengers had knowledge that could help the investigation.

This thought most likely falls into the possible category, rather than probable ….
If he were not overtly involved in the murders, and possibly didn't know that was the plan? He would be a fool not to get a plea deal and testify.

If he were not overtly involved in the murders, and possibly didn't know that was the plan? He would be a fool not to get a plea deal and testify.
As the OP who posted this idea said, it likely falls into the category of "possible" rather than "probable." BUT, that said, IF BK did drive a couple of people to a house, a house that became a bloody crime scene that night, deciding to rat out people who you now know are brutal killers might not be quite as easy as it sounds. Certainly if he can convince himself he might get off anyway...
JMO

RBBM

I think LE was intentionally being vague in order to keep the killer from panicking and leaving, just like they continued to use the 2013-2016 Elantra model year.

MOO

IMHO, BK did it and did it alone. How did his (and his alone) DNA get on the knife sheath if it wasn't him?

Have to invent some strange scenario where BK drove but the true murderer was in the car and got BK's DNA and not his on the sheath. This is not believable to a jury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname