4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this too. Also people speculating what Page 118 of the paperback/hardcover of The Handmaid's Tale entails.

For further source that the image is real, here is a link for the Northampton Community College quarterly publication, Northampton Magazine.

I'm actually confused on why this is a big deal? IMO based on what I remember across social media, in 2018, many people -- male and female -- raved, wrote book reviews, and joined book clubs about this book. I'm not seeing a connection to the murders here.

MOO.

Oh wow, he's IS front and center as one of the few males in attendance. How strange, but not.

MOO
Yeah, I think I counted six dudes, mostly on the periphery and up the back? And about thirty women and girls. (Assuming, of course, that everyone in the crowd adheres to the gender binary, which is unlikely, just based on the numbers, but anywho.)

I find profilers interesting even if I don't always agree with them, but I think Kelly is on the money. This is BK on the prowl at a public event for a specific kind of victim, which still counts, even if he never 'followed through' with any further acts of stalking or violence.

MOO

snipped for focus @Twistinginthewind Sorry if I bungled my edits of your post. Just wanted to get Shanon Gray's stmt in there.

Is Mr. Gray suggesting that the prosecutor's decision about whether to seek the DP will be BASED ON decedents' families' discussions w prosecutor, i.e., that the prosecutor will poll those families to decide DP or no-DP by MAJORITY VOTE, and that that's how the prosecutor SHOULD decide?

Anyone interpret Gray's stmt along same line? Sometimes I read waaay too much between the lines, and this may be one of them. IDK.

ID Statute
"CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
"CHAPTER 53
"19-5306. RIGHTS OF VICTIM DURING INVESTIGATION, PROSECUTION, AND DISPOSITION OF THE CRIME. (1) Each victim of a criminal or juvenile offense shall be:...
"(f) Afforded the opportunity to communicate with the prosecution in criminal... offenses and be advised of any proposed plea agreement by the prosecuting attorney prior to entering into a plea agreement in criminal ... offenses involving crimes of violence, sex crimes..."
(sbm, to delete ref's to juvie offenses)
Good points, @al66pine, that may be possible, I'm not sure what Mr. Gray's intentions are.
MOO:
Although it seems pedantic to me, and that he is simply going on the record before all the victims' families meet with the Prosecutor, Mr. Thompson, to weigh in on the DP considerations.

Doing the *easy* math ;) , the desires of the 2 families he represents should be half of the input for the prosecutor to consider from the 4 victims' families.

Here's a summary to date, AFAIK, of what the Prosecutor will take into consideration in making his decision about whether to go with a capital punishment/DP trial of BK, based on the "desires" of the families or lack thereof:

FamilyParent 1Parent 2
Xana’sLWOP*UNK*
Maddie’sDPDP
Kaylee’sDPDP
Ethan’sUNK*UNK*
* For Xana's family, her mother seems to be leaning towards LWOP (not confirmed source IIRC but in MSM), her father's desires one way or the other, or Ethan's family's desires, or lack thereof are unknown = UNK

I don't see Mr. Gray trying to "force the matter" or setting things up to try and "do an end run around" the prosecutor.

That is not happening, it's against the rules of law in ID, IMO, and entirely unnecessary.

Mr. Thompson has things well in hand and will make the best decision for the State to prosecute BK to the fullest extent of the law, and he will take the families' desires (all 8 parents) into account, obviously.

MOO !

Last edited:
I'm actually confused on why this is a big deal? IMO based on what I remember across social media, in 2018, many people -- male and female -- raved, wrote book reviews, and joined book clubs about this book. I'm not seeing a connection to the murders here.

MOO.
I read it in 2018 myself, because of Our Shared Shelf, Emma Watson's book club.

I think, based on BK's reported interactions with women in various settings, one could speculate he might read something like The Handmaid's Tale and instead of being shocked by the parallels between Gilead and our own society and understanding the need for greater equality and body autonomy, might think, 'Oh, gosh, this is the way forward. Enslavement of women, sign me up'. Not exactly the 'take away' Attwood would have been shooting for.

Very much my opinion only

I think, based on BK's reported interactions with women in various settings, one could speculate he might read something like The Handmaid's Tale and instead of being shocked by the parallels between Gilead and our own society and understanding the need for greater equality and body autonomy, might think, 'Oh, gosh, this is the way forward. Enslavement of women, sign me up'. Not exactly the 'take away' Attwood would have been shooting for.

Have not read it generally because this type of material does not appeal, anything that reinforces misogynistic thinking (even if it is brought up by the author to question societies roles of women) is something I would not want to be associated with, let alone be photographed attending.

It could be symbolic of how he sees women (remember the birthing hips comment from the girl he went on a date with?), where some of his ideas come from/cross over, or merely a student event attended.

I do not think it's related to the page 118 reference whatsoever. Just another weird aspect to BK, IMHO.

Again, anything is possible at this point, it seems to me! If that were the case, though, would we expect to see subpoenas for the Greek Judicial Process(es) results as well?

Community Accountability - Greek Life | University of Idaho
Early on in this case the rumors were rampant that the murders somehow had something to do with a fraternity or sorority at the University of Idaho. It would make sense that LE was probing to see if any of the victims or survivors had anything to do with the issues that had been going on with these organizations. For example, looking to see if any of the victims had been involved in a hazing incident that got out of hand or whatever caused the sororities and fraternities to be investigated and even put on probation. Pi Beta Phi was and is currently on probation. MM, DM, BF and XK were Pi Beta Phi and KG was Alpha Phi. LE was probably probing the victim's social connections trying to find out if anyone had made some enemies that led to the murders which is pretty standard in any murder investigation. As we all know, in most murder investigations where the murderer is not known, LE usually starts with those closest to the victim and then works their way to the outside of the victims circle of loved ones, friends and acquaintances. They may well have looked at the Greek judicial processes as a part of doing their due diligence in their investigation.

I wonder if this has something to do with the fraternities or sororities the Idaho students belonged to?
Could be! When I went back to read Title IX over again, there is specific mention of sororities and fraternities. Interesting to me that they include off school grounds as well if it carries over to the educational setting. MOO

Title IX provides protection for students in connection with all academic, educational, extra-curricular, athletic, and other programs of the school. This includes U of I-sponsored or U of I-related activities (off-campus trips, sororities and fraternities affiliated with school, etc.). This also affects students during academic breaks and summer. It may also cover activity that occurs off school grounds if there is carry-over into the educational setting (e.g., if a student is sexually assaulted off-campus by another student and must continue to interact with or see the other student on campus). All U of I students are expected to abide by the Student Code of Conduct as long as they are students at the U of I. The code applies to any location or any time of the year to current, accepted or enrolled students.

And under code of conduct:
By enrolling at the University of Idaho, students voluntarily accept responsibility for compliance with all University policies, including but not limited to this Code. Disciplinary action may also be taken for any violation of local ordinances, state or federal law, or on or off campus conduct that adversely affects the University community or the pursuit of the University’s lawful educational mission, process, or function.

Civil Rights Investigators​

The investigators provide administrative, educational, intellectual and compliance leadership to the Office of Civil Rights efforts around investigating alleged violations of the Student Code of Conduct and University policies. The investigators also conduct investigations as part of the Title IX investigation team. Additionally, they assist with educational outreach efforts for students, faculty, and staff across the University of Idaho

Code of conduct topics: Dishonestly, Misuse of Univ resources, Threat of harm or actual harm of mental health or safety, Discrimination and retaliation, Disruption/obstruction/interference of University Activities, Housing and Living groups violations, Use and misuse of substances, Violation of Laws or University Policy.

BBM
MOO
edit: spelling because I'm still tired and can't type right

Last edited:
Early on in this case the rumors were rampant that the murders somehow had something to do with a fraternity or sorority at the University of Idaho. It would make sense that LE was probing to see if any of the victims or survivors had anything to do with the issues that had been going on with these organizations. For example, looking to see if any of the victims had been involved in a hazing incident that got out of hand or whatever caused the sororities and fraternities to be investigated and even put on probation. Pi Beta Phi was and is currently on probation. MM, DM, BF and XK were Pi Beta Phi and KG was Alpha Phi. LE was probably probing the victim's social connections trying to find out if anyone had made some enemies that led to the murders which is pretty standard in any murder investigation. As we all know, in most murder investigations where the murderer is not known, LE usually starts with those closest to the victim and then works their way to the outside of the victims circle of loved ones, friends and acquaintances. They may well have looked at the Greek judicial processes as a part of doing their due diligence in their investigation.
I agree, but the point I was trying to make & obviously failed was that a thorough investigation, it seems to me, would include the Greek Life judicial processes because sometimes the buck stops there for a variety of reasons & don’t make it to the Dean of Students or the OCRI. Indeed that’s a fairly common concern throughout the nation about those “closed” processes. MOO, as always.

MOO.
Agree!
And another article with a descriptive word that is not accurate IMO.
"Clutching" :rolleyes:

clutched; clutching; clutches
: to grasp or hold with or as if with the hand or claws usually strongly, tightly, or suddenly

IMO he is just holding a book.

IMO, this type of speculation is what really kills me about this case. BK is out and about doing what many, many, many people did, but for him it has sinister meaning based on no evidence at all, but on the narrative spun by the MSM.

MOO.

IMO, this type of speculation is what really kills me about this case. BK is out and about doing what many, many, many people did, but for him it has sinister meaning based on no evidence at all, but on the narrative spun by the MSM.

It's also based on the fact that he's been arrested for and charged with the brutal knife murders of four people, including three young women.

So, I looked up this NEH lecture in 2018 at Northhampton Community College: and found an interview with Margarete Atwood that was done in 2020.

Found some photos from this interview with Margarete Atwood:

1686248491065.png

1686248660109.png
In this article, a photo without him in it.

And this is the caption under the photo in the article:

NEH Lecture Series, Keynote Speaker Margaret Atwood, meeting with selected students, staff and faculty prior to her public lecture

Five years later. Even if he's guilty, it doesn't mean that 5 years earlier, he was prowling for other victims.

I guess? This type of crime rarely occurs in a vacuum. (I'd say "JMO", but I've been following true crime for way too many years, and I just can't think of another mass slaying where there weren't warning signs that were apparent, if only in hindsight.)

IMO, the MSM is shooting itself in the foot. Their reporting is nothing more than tabloid and sensationalistic headlines. Soon, we'll see a photo of him at age 12 buying a candy bar from a female cashier at the Piggly Wiggly. Their desperation to find something -- anything -- about BK that they can use for clicks and profits will (hopefully) cause the judge to maintain the gag order.

June 8, 2023 rbbm.
''The Pennsylvania native is seen clutching a copy of “The Handmaid’s Tale,” Atwood’s best-selling 1985 dystopian novel set in a patriarchal, white supremacist society in which women known as “handmaids” are forced to produce children for the ruling class.''

View attachment 427465
Kohberger, now 28, is spotted front and center at the 2018 event at Northampton Community College.Northampton Community College
His head looks like it doesnt belong in this pic and where did his long neck go? MOO

Edit to add: Look a couple of posts above at Nila's pic, you cant even see his head in the pic she posted, did the photographer ask him to duck? LOL

Last edited:

MOO.
Exactly. However, I do think this is being caused by the gag order. Lacking any other news about the case, some journalist (or jounalists) has/have decided to investigate BK's past and write articles about his past coloring them with what he is accused of. First we had him lying about cutting fish, now we have him attending an event with mostly women to perhaps stalk them or select a victim. I'm sure the media can go on and on this way making him look more and more guilty for nearly anything he has ever done right up to the trial.

MOO.
The images themselves are no big deal to me, at least not as much as some people on SM are making it out to be. What got my attention was when people started asking about Page 118. If you recall, in the search warrant for his home in PA, Item #2 is "Book with underlining on Page 118" (SS and link to full list below). That has some significance, don't you think? Some initially speculated Elliot Rodgers manifesto, but that is not in book form that I know....MOO

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 14
I guess? This type of crime rarely occurs in a vacuum. (I'd say "JMO", but I've been following true crime for way too many years, and I just can't think of another mass slaying where there weren't warning signs that were apparent, if only in hindsight.)

I have experience in forensics and I can tell you that while they "rarely" occur in a vacuum, they can occur in a vacuum (and this is assuming the crime is exactly what LE says it is -- BK acting alone, killing total strangers; I'm not convinced that's true). But even if it's true that BK had prior warning signs, that still doesn't mean that every single thing he ever did in the history of his existence was for sinister purposes. This is exactly my problem with the MSM. They publish this crap and everyone associates BK with what could very realistically be a totally innocent lecture he attended.

IMO and IME.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member