CANADA Canada - Madison Scott, 20, Vanderhoof, BC, 27 May 2011

I think it’s strange that the local media isn’t putting out much , also that we really haven’t heard much from locals
I understand why it may seem strange. IMO LE is being strategic and choosing to share very little as they're working hard and doing everything possible to build a solid court-withstanding case. There is a lot of red tape and politics in our Canadian law and justice system, so I truly believe LE is doing everything in their power to ensure justice for Maddy will be served. Vanderhoof police never closed the case on Maddy, our community has worked hard to support the Scott's search for Maddy.. that speaks volumes and shows that locals support LE, so won't be saying much as they don't want to jeopardize justice for Maddy. MOO.

Not surprised that LE isn't sharing much information. From my limited understanding, based solely on the Canadian cases I've followed on Websleuths, Canada has strong defamation laws. The average person, LE & the media are more careful about what they publicly state in order to avoid libel or slander. Canadians please correct me if I'm mistaken.

All we can do is hope that law enforcement finds everything they need to provide the Scott family w/ answers & justice.

Last edited:
Not surprised that LE isn't sharing much information. From my limited understanding, based solely on the Canadian cases I've followed on Websleuths, Canada has strong defamation laws. The average person, LE & the media are more careful about what they publicly state in order to avoid libel or slander. Canadians please correct me if I'm mistaken.

All we can do is hope that law enforcement finds everything they need to provide the Scott family w/ answers & justice.
I understand why it may seem strange. IMO LE is being strategic and choosing to share very little as they're working hard and doing everything possible to build a solid court-withstanding case. There is a lot of red tape and politics in our Canadian law and justice system, so I truly believe LE is doing everything in their power to ensure justice for Maddy will be served. Vanderhoof police never closed the case on Maddy, our community has worked hard to support the Scott's search for Maddy.. that speaks volumes and shows that locals support LE, so won't be saying much as they don't want to jeopardize justice for Maddy. MOO.
Exactly. Here in Canada, evidence gets thrown out SO EASILY. LE has to be on point, meanwhile criminals get to have their lawyer find any small flaw and get things thrown out. This is why you aren't hearing anything. They are working hard so everything can be used properly in court. It is very difficult.

That's a pretty blatant statement, "Consistently choosing to ignore some of them and not follow cause of some reasons", you have no proof of this at all. "Assumed scenario"? "Begging"........You're talking about this woman in a way that's actually really awful and disrespectful. "cops"? So many things i could say. So many things i just won't.
Statements, especially blatant ones usually aren't delivered in form of a question.

This was a question:

"So mom keeps begging for tips and cooperation with cops, while cops are consistently choosing to ignore some of them and not follow cause of some reasons, possibly accepting only these that fit their assumed scenario that may or may not be correct?"
"Consistently choosing to ignore some of them and not follow cause of some reasons", you have no proof of this at all.
I don't need a proof to ask a question.
Yet I have a proof that people responsible for this investigation went out to public and publicly stated that they polygraphed insane amount of people and ruled them out as possible suspects relying on those polygraph results.
If it was true, then they deserve much criticism, and if it wasn't they agreed to take this criticism for the sake of investigation.
"Begging"........You're talking about this woman in a way that's actually really awful and disrespectful. "cops"? So many things i could say. So many things i just won't.
It's only awful and disrespectful in eyes of someone who sees people who beg as awful and don't respect them.
You know it's not RCMP officers investigating this right? They're only helping in the investigation. Major Crimes Unit has taken over this case and I can assure you, they are doing their job.
I don't see Major Crimes Unit contact info listed below any of the articles or posts, it's RCMP.
Why do you think they are ignoring tips?
I was refering to what was discussed earlier.
Yes. I am very confused why this person thinks nothing is happening. They aren't gonna tell everyone everything they are doing until its finished so nothing goes wrong or can be thrown out. This is Canada. <modsnip: rude>
Pointing at suspicion that in the past some tips may not be looked into as thoroughly as they should is pretty far from thinking that nothing is happening.
I don't think they're going to tell everyone everything they were doing and not doing even after this case will end, no need for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand the local media not wanting to go crazy on this and really, local media is just Prince George.....but, what are you wanting to hear from locals? Nobody wants to come across as insensitive or potential even make the situation even worse with their rumors. Innocent until proven guilty and 2 young men's lives are on the line at the moment. In a small town, this is an extremely sensitive situation.
When there have been other high profile cases from the area there has been a lot more “chatter” out there.

your right about LE, They have to keep it under wraps, but the media and locals ? Have you ever been in the area of a high profile case ? When Tim Bosma remains were found in Ayr you couldn't move in the town for all the medai, even when they were searching the Kitchener Airport you couldnt drive down the road because of medai and looky loos. and it was non stop local chatter. When other profile cases have happened around vanderhoof there has been a lot more info and updates from the media, early on

When there have been other high profile cases from the area there has been a lot more “chatter” out there.
Well, like Cody L?(can't spell last name)........That could be because it was pretty immediate and he did not live in Vanderhoof so it was free and clear to yack about. He was literally caught at the scene. They had their suspect. He was already in custody. Here, no one is in custody and it's been 12 long years....we can wait awhile longer for an outcome. At least Maddy has been found and her family can give her a proper goodbye but in the meantime, what's there to chat about? Speculations? Assumptions? ....... It all goes nowhere and it's pointless.

your right about LE, They have to keep it under wraps, but the media and locals ? Have you ever been in the area of a high profile case ? When Tim Bosma remains were found in Ayr you couldn't move in the town for all the medai, even when they were searching the Kitchener Airport you couldnt drive down the road because of medai and looky loos. and it was non stop local chatter. When other profile cases have happened around vanderhoof there has been a lot more info and updates from the media, early on
Yes, I have. But this case is very different than most high profile cases. There is no suspect named by LE. There is no arrest(s) made. There isn't a single crumb for the Media to offer people to feed on, and locals here  support both LE and the Scott's, they've never stopped searching or talking about Maddy. So if LE isn't giving an update, local media is being respectful and sensitive, what more is there to chatter about other than gossip? And this site isn't for gossip.
This really is a unique case. Silence doesn't mean nothing is being done or that Maddy has been forgotten. JMO.

Well, like Cody L?(can't spell last name)........That could be because it was pretty immediate and he did not live in Vanderhoof so it was free and clear to yack about. He was literally caught at the scene. They had their suspect. He was already in custody. Here, no one is in custody and it's been 12 long years....we can wait awhile longer for an outcome. At least Maddy has been found and her family can give her a proper goodbye but in the meantime, what's there to chat about? Speculations? Assumptions? ....... It all goes nowhere and it's pointless.
The media speculates on that kind of stuff all the time . Like I said do you not think it’s strange the lack of any articles in almost 2 weeks ? I understand no LE statements, that’s obvious.

Yes, I have. But this case is very different than most high profile cases. There is no suspect named by LE. There is no arrest(s) made. There isn't a single crumb for the Media to offer people to feed on, and locals here  support both LE and the Scott's, they've never stopped searching or talking about Maddy. So if LE isn't giving an update, local media is being respectful and sensitive, what more is there to chatter about other than gossip? And this site isn't for gossip.
This really is a unique case. Silence doesn't mean nothing is being done or that Maddy has been forgotten. JMO.
media being respectful ? History would suggest that isn’t an explanation. This has been highly publicized over the years , the body was discovered 3 weeks ago today and only 3 articles written ( I know more than 3 , but the others are reproductions of 3 main articles.)

media being respectful ? History would suggest that isn’t an explanation. This has been highly publicized over the years , the body was discovered 3 weeks ago today and only 3 articles written ( I know more than 3 , but the others are reproductions of 3 main articles.)
I'm gonna say this cause it needs to be said. We are really not entitled to know any more than we already do. As long as the Crime Unit and RCMP are in contact with Madison's family, that's all that really matters. If there was a reason to be worried with a killer on the loose, i'm sure we would be alerted to that fact. As the general public, we will sit and wait. It's a period of quiet. It's a period of giving the family space to digest what has occurred. It's not a time to have a media circus around this so this is all the family see's and hears on the TV and papers. It's frankly none of our business.

Typically speaking, it's not the case, but as someone who has lived in a major hub city as well as now locally in small town Northern BC, there is a significant difference in how the media behaves, and that is what I was speaking to.

The Scott's have stated:
We trust that with patience, persistence and belief that we will receive answers, and remain motivated to achieve closure.

We need to trust and be patient alongside them. @offgrid50 said it best, BBM:

I'm gonna say this cause it needs to be said. We are really not entitled to know any more than we already do. As long as the Crime Unit and RCMP are in contact with Madison's family, that's all that really matters. If there was a reason to be worried with a killer on the loose, i'm sure we would be alerted to that fact. As the general public, we will sit and wait. It's a period of quiet. It's a period of giving the family space to digest what has occurred. It's not a time to have a media circus around this so this is all the family see's and hears on the TV and papers. It's frankly none of our business.

Personally, if it were someone close to me that this happened to, I’d much prefer this tightlipped silence in the media to some of the open media speculative investigations that we see in other cases. I hope they’re communicating with the family, but as far as we the public go, we have no right nor need to know what’s going on behind the scenes.

Statements, especially blatant ones usually aren't delivered in form of a question.

This was a question:

"So mom keeps begging for tips and cooperation with cops, while cops are consistently choosing to ignore some of them and not follow cause of some reasons, possibly accepting only these that fit their assumed scenario that may or may not be correct?"

I don't need a proof to ask a question.
There is a statement in that question. You even put commas around the statement to distinguish it from the question part.

You don’t need proof to ask a question, you’re right, but your question is assuming facts here. If that’s part of the question, it’s unclear. If you’re uncertain and that’s part of a question, it would be more clear if you wrote something like “are cops consistently choosing to ignore some of the tips? And if so…”

Last edited:
<modsnip - please don't respond to obvious trolls, just report>

Luckily there is a break now. And yes, I do think something went wrong during the investigation <modsnip> (humans sometimes do make mistakes, RCMP is no exception despite all their good work) You may have a different opinion, that's oke.

*I applaud the loyalty and patience from the locals here. Not wanting a media circus in their town etc, let RCMP doing their job, I totally get that. But I hope within some time for a bit more 'transparancy' from the RCMP. I think they do owe this to the Canadian tax payers.....

And if nothing else: I hope at least they keep the Scott family updated about their progress....

Last edited by a moderator:
ADMIN REMINDER:

IF it becomes obvious via MSM that LE is treating someone as a POI or suspect without having officially named them, Tricia or WS Admin may make a thread specific exception which would be announced on the thread. Unless/until that happens however, it is business as usual at Websleuths which is:

Members may NOT make direct or indirect accusations or insinuations against any individuals who have not been officially designated by LE to be a POI or suspect.

Members who violate this basic rule will find themselves banned from this discussion.

Post accordingly. Thank you.

I could see the RCMP saying things like "everyone at the party has been cleared" simply because one of their "go to" strategies at the time was the Mr. Big sting and that won't work particularly well while the suspect believes themself a suspect.

It appears to work better when, as in Bjornson's case, the suspects think they got away with it.

The RCMP in Canada are allowed to lie.

I'm curious, for anyone with connections to vanderhoof or who lives there--are police still searching that property. It's been what? 3 weeks? I'm amazed that there isn't even an article on the search continuing, wrapping up or otherwise

I'm curious, for anyone with connections to vanderhoof or who lives there--are police still searching that property. It's been what? 3 weeks? I'm amazed that there isn't even an article on the search continuing, wrapping up or otherwise
The property isn't viewable from the highway, so I haven't been able to see anything, and IMO it would be foolish to drive on their road just to see what's going on.

The Major Crimes unit is more than likely still investigating and searching, as per this statement on the RCMP website (BBM):

Update in the ongoing Madison Scott investigation

Vanderhoof
2023-05-29 11:07 PDT
File # 2011E-4852

RCMP can confirm that there has been a significant investigational development into the disappearance of Madison (Maddy) Scott.
Maddy was reported missing on May 29, 2011 and was last seen at approximately 3:00 a.m. on May 28, 2011, while at Hogsback Lake, celebrating a friend’s birthday.
The investigation has been led by BC RCMP Major Crime in support of Vanderhoof RCMP.
Police are currently executing a search warrant at a rural property on the east side of Vanderhoof. The area has been secured and additional resources are anticipated to be on scene for as long as may be required.
We can confirm that the property is associated to the discovery of Maddy who has been positively identified by BC Coroner's Service. The Scott family has been advised and they have asked for privacy at this time. Many areas of support remain in place for the family.
This has been a priority investigation for the RCMP over the past 12 years. The discovery of Maddy is a significant development, however this investigation remains an active and ongoing missing person's investigation where foul play has not been ruled out said Cpl Madonna Saunderson BC RCMP Communications.
No charges have been laid. Anyone with any information is asked to call Tipline (778) 290-5291 or (877) 543-4822
Released by
Cpl. Madonna Saunderson
District Advisory NCO (Media Relations)
North District
4020 5th Avenue, Prince George, BC V2M 7E7
Office: 250-561-3166
Cell: 250-301-3521
Email: madonna.saunderson@rcmp-grc.gc.caRCMP in British Columbia - Update in the ongoing Madison Scott investigation

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceishen637
Back