GUILTY UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 7 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 6 hung re attempted #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve followed these threads since the beginning of the trial - I used to participate in them (I was part of the intense “on purpose” debate in the early days) but decided after a while not to post.
A bit of background, I have experience of pregnancy loss on a number of occasions (affecting my wife). I think, for that reason, I was too emotionally invested in this - I was convinced of Letby’s guilt and I wasn’t adding any value to your discussions. I was too entrenched in that “she’s guilty” camp. I also inadvertently upset another poster by suggesting Letby may have experienced child loss herself, and this was a potential motive. I see why this was careless and, that more than anything else, forced me to remove myself from the discussion.

Now it’s over, a couple of observations I wanted to share. Firstly, I have been impressed by your ability to be ‘fair’ in these matters. Even when you were all quite clearly coming down on G or NG, the debate was always considered, measured and fair. I was heartened, for example, to see Marrantz and Sweeper “change their mind” as things went on. I genuinely feel I’ve learned something from that.

Secondly, I’ve read these forums daily and it’s been so nice (amidst a horrible subject matter) to see bonds and relationships form between you - I hope that, somehow, that continues for you.

Finally, my thoughts are with the victims, their families, Letby’s friends and family, her colleagues, those who tried to raise the alarm, and the jury. This is a horrific case and I hope today’s events has gone some way to healing as many of those people as possible.

The question now is, why?
Only she knows but IMO there will be various motives depending not only on which victim but also on which incident.
Malice to parents or babies, superiority complex, to put blame on colleagues, enjoying the drama, attention seeking, playing god, playing roulette. All these and probably more were alluded to during evidence.

A bit scary to think of how she could harm the babies without obvious tell-tale signs, have to wonder if anything unusual ever happened to others (teachers/classmates) from her past? complete speculation, imo.
rbbm.
1692366063177.png

'LONDON — A neonatal nurse in a British hospital was found guilty of killing seven babies and trying to kill six others.'

''They alleged that Letby was on duty in all the cases and described her as a “constant malevolent presence” in the neonatal unit when the children collapsed or died. They said the nurse harmed the babies in ways that did not leave much of a trace, and that she persuaded her colleagues that the collapses and deaths were normal.''

Happy I'm at a computer and can finally write my reaction!! Saw the news notifications when the verdict came in while I was still out and with 7% battery, so so much to catch up on!

Throughout this I’ve had no personal opinion on her guilt either way. I tried. Whatever way I looked at it, I felt I could argue the other side, and there were so many loose strings and unanswered questions. I would drive myself mad thinking about it, thinking about all the what ifs. Although I was most swayed towards her guilt when she herself was on the stand.

From my perspective the jury are the ones who got to hear everything first hand, and I trust their judgment on this fully. There is no doubt for me now that’s she’s guilty.

I look forward to reading what comes out the woodwork about her now, to try and get some understanding of what possible motive there was for this.

Most of all, I’m glad those babies have justice, and may they now rest in peace x
Agreed with others about how eloquently you put this, this is how I felt towards it too. I took a step back from posting back in December as I had a family member in and out of hospital but this case was always on the back of my mind. RIP to those babies, and thinking of all the family members today. :(

Detectives said they had found nothing unusual about Letby's life and could not determine any motive for why she had become a killer.

"The only person that can answer that … is Lucy Letby herself," said Detective Superintendent Paul Hughes, who led the investigation.

"Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever know unless she just chooses to tell us."

Detectives said they had found nothing unusual about Letby's life and could not determine any motive for why she had become a killer.

"The only person that can answer that … is Lucy Letby herself," said Detective Superintendent Paul Hughes, who led the investigation.

"Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever know unless she just chooses to tell us."
I have no idea, but I doubt the police interviewed every single person LL ever went to school with or uni with or whatever. It'll be interesting to hear what comes out about her now that people can unleash all their thoughts and feelings.

I’ve got to admit, I just read her mum cried to police saying “ I did it, it was me, arrest me instead” to try and protect her daughter. That broke my heart
Some violent and serial offenders have a relationship dynamic with their parent/s where they can 'do no wrong' and parents will prevent them from consequences of their actions. Not saying it's necessarily the case here, but if so, this is one consequence that they have no way of preventing her from receiving.

MOO

OMG!!!
Is it true????

I just opened twitter after a bike trip!

Yes Yes Yes!!!!!
I knew it from the start@

Thank you Jury !!!!!
Im crying
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome, Dotta, join the rest of us in being stunned and dazzled by the immediacy of it.

We've been worried when we shouldn't have been. They've been returning verdicts in bursts for the last ten days.

MOO

last updated 9:12 AM, August 18, 2023

LONDON (AP) — A neonatal nurse in a British hospital was found guilty of killing seven babies and trying to kill six others. [...]

“I don’t deserve to live,” she wrote on a green Post-it note shown in court. “I killed them on purpose because I’m not good enough to care for them.”

“I am a horrible evil person,” she wrote. “I AM EVIL I DID THIS.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member