Canada- Sharif Rahman, owner of the Curry House restaurant, suffered brain injury after assault by 3 non-paying men, Owen Sound, Ontario, 17 Aug. '23

The Owen Sound Grey Motors united soccer team wear black shorts. There appears to be a basketball team with black shorts, as well. Looking through their social media, a lot of them wear black joggers as well...
I think this is excellent research regarding a possible common origin of the clothing.

Black shorts on the soccer and basketball team could also lead to black socks as part of the uniform. The similar looking shoes (also seem to be black) could then just be a product of "group think" on what is a good color to complete the uniform.

Following up on your sports team possibility... As a duo, they look far more soccer than basketball to me.

Last edited:
About the cost of food. I like Indian food, but it I were short of money and had two other people with me, I'd either order 3 portions of tandoori chicken + Naan + rice, should be enough for 3 men and under $40, or Tikka masala+rice+raita+Naan. I didn't notice the cost of rice, it is often added to the food. I never saw wine in regular Indian restaurants, lots of times there is iced water, and in general, even 3 guys can be full for $40. You absolutely don't need to be from GB to know Indian cuisine.
I don't think they came with nefarious purpose, but it seemingly turned into hate crime as the men didn't pay and left and then attacked the owner and nephew at the steps, so instead of leaving and driving away they waited.
They don't look super fit to me, but they could be fit if they exercised.
They look young and well-scrubbed, and of course they could belong to white supremacists, but this is not who i thought of when i looked at them. Cousins coming to a family reunion in Canada? Also, i'd ask hairdressers what their haircut reminds them of.

The black shorts could be swimming trunks. Guys in these parts will throw on a t-shirt with their trunks. They may be on their way home from a day at Wasaga Beach, or any of the many other beaches on the Bruce Peninsula.

Shoes in sandals is standard Canadian high fashion and the subject of jokes about "you know you're Canadian when ...".

I agree that no one goes to an Indian restaurant for drinks. There may be some beer in cans in the cooler at some Indian restaurants, but it's not a place to hang out at a bar.

It's really hard for me to imagine that anyone would murder an innocent man just because it was time to pay their bill. Even if one in the group was such a monster, the others didn't intervene or call for help. This makes me think the murder was a deliberate group action.

It's really hard for me to imagine that anyone would murder an innocent man just because it was time to pay their bill. Even if one in the group was such a monster, the others didn't intervene or call for help. This makes me think the murder was a deliberate group action.
RBSBM
Something of this nature? speculation, imo.
Feb 1 2024
''Cineplex has cancelled screenings of a South Indian film following four drive-by shootings at theatres throughout the Greater Toronto Area the day it premiered.
Cineplex spokesperson Michelle Saba says the theatre chain pulled the action film “Malaikottai Vaaliban” due to circumstances beyond their control.''

ETA, if they ran in the direction of the Roxy theater, maybe they attended a show or something near there? speculation.

Claire McCormack Sep 29, 2023 rbbm.
''Specifically, police said people were at the intersections of 2nd Avenue East at 10th Street East (the intersection by the 10th street bridge, Curry House, Channing’s, The Pub and CIBC).''
View attachment 480492
''The suspects ran towards the intersection at 9th Street East (by Pizza Pizza) then ran eastbound on 9th, (in the direction of the Roxy Theatre).
View attachment 480497View attachment 480498
Police have posted pictures of two of the three suspects running from the scene. A third male suspect is described as being Caucasian with curly hair, wearing shorts and a t-shirt and being in his late forties to mid-fifties in age.
View attachment 480493
View attachment 480495
They have also posted a picture of the suspect vehicle which they initially described as similar to a grey or blue 2000’s model Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute.''
1707057931743.png
2000 Ford Escape:
BECD662D-4334-4D61-A216-3BD115514089.png
1707057383304.png

Dark handles(?) and no top rails, so maybe a Ford Escape? But the rims look more like a Tribute.

My 2 cents— the older model car must stand out to someone. It’s too old to be a rental, so maybe the owner of the car is Canadian or American. I don’t think they would be driving it after this happened, which hopefully caused a complication for the driver.

I don't think they came with nefarious purpose, but it seemingly turned into hate crime as the men didn't pay and left and then attacked the owner and nephew at the steps, so instead of leaving and driving away they waited.

They look young and well-scrubbed, and of course they could belong to white supremacists, but this is not who i thought of when i looked at them. Cousins coming to a family reunion in Canada?
I think your illustration of a possible, "snowballing" fuzzy motive makes sense.

No intent to commit a crime at first. Possibly have a dim view of certain ethnic groups, but not members of an extremist group. Would be less likely to walk on a tab from a Canadian bar and grill owned by say "Don McPherson". If they did walk on a tab from McPherson's place, would not get violent if confronted. But... the totality of The Curry House and owner brings out the worst.

As to your second possibility (relatives), the similar clothing could support members of a big family with budget clothing choices and hand me downs.

The shorts remind me of the gym shorts we were given in high school. Southern Ontario here also.

The t-shirts are giving Duggar vibes. I don't know if that makes sense.
Those vibes make sense to me and I those same vibes have tingled me as well.

I have associated with big religious families in the past and felt the vibe in person. Some families in the group I knew presented that vibe more than others. The vibe you describe is generated by:

- Little sense of fashion meeting budget clothing needs, then mixing with constant "hand me downs".

As with you, I can see that vibe producing vaguely "off" individual T shirt choices mixed with "family wear" of the same say, non trendy black shorts and socks.

I just did not notice their "off" T shirt choices until it was pointed out by you and others. Thinking that the "off" clothing preferences of some of the big religious families that I knew must have worn off on me.

Last edited:
Maybe it’s the photo quality, but neither of those guys look like professional athletes. No muscles on those calves, orange shirt guy looks doughy.
I agree about the non professional athlete- or even not truly serious amateur athlete observation.

The impression of doughyness, however, vibes slightly different to me:

- Formerly active high school athletes that still retain their stocky athleticism. They currently play on a adult softball team (less running) in a recreational league sponsored by the city. But, as you suggested, they are slowly and steadily moving from "athletic" to "doughy" as time goes on.

The recreational softball team's uniform preference is black shorts and socks? As a side note, universities also sponsor intramural sports leagues of varying levels of competiveness for students who still want to play, but cant make the college teams.

Last edited:
About the cost of food. I like Indian food, but it I were short of money and had two other people with me, I'd either order 3 portions of tandoori chicken + Naan + rice, should be enough for 3 men and under $40, or Tikka masala+rice+raita+Naan. I didn't notice the cost of rice, it is often added to the food. I never saw wine in regular Indian restaurants, lots of times there is iced water, and in general, even 3 guys can be full for $40. You absolutely don't need to be from GB to know Indian cuisine.
They don't look super fit to me, but they could be fit if they exercised.
They look young and well-scrubbed, and of course they could belong to white supremacists, but this is not who i thought of when i looked at them. Cousins coming to a family reunion in Canada? Also, i'd ask hairdressers what their haircut reminds them of.

this is their menu:

The black shorts could be swimming trunks. Guys in these parts will throw on a t-shirt with their trunks. They may be on their way home from a day at Wasaga Beach, or any of the many other beaches on the Bruce Peninsula.

Shoes in sandals is standard Canadian high fashion and the subject of jokes about "you know you're Canadian when ...".

I agree that no one goes to an Indian restaurant for drinks. There may be some beer in cans in the cooler at some Indian restaurants, but it's not a place to hang out at a bar.

you meant socks in sandals right?
agree they were tourists IMO

The shorts remind me of the gym shorts we were given in high school. Southern Ontario here also.

about the Duggar vibes yes! that's kinda what I was trying to convey upthread

Those vibes make sense to me and I those same vibes have tingled me as well.

I have associated with big religious families in the past and felt the vibe in person. Some families in the group I knew presented that vibe more than others. The vibe you describe is generated by:

- Little sense of fashion meeting budget clothing needs, then mixing with constant "hand me downs".

As with you, I can see that vibe producing vaguely "off" individual T shirt choices mixed with "family wear" of the same say, non trendy black shorts and socks.

I just did not notice their "off" T shirt choices until it was pointed out by you and others. Thinking that the "off" clothing preferences of some of the big religious families that I knew must have worn off on me.

Exactly! Even the gait, even the look. Put long black pants instead of shorts on them.

I wonder if there was any family reunion of a religious group nearby? These groups are usually what I would say “the exact opposite to violent,” but no family is responsible for an accidental off-kilter behavior of its member. And, I think they were sober.

I think they ended up “still hangry” and planned to beat the owner, not kill him. JMO.

I think your illustration of a possible, "snowballing" fuzzy motive makes sense.

No intent to commit a crime at first. Possibly have a dim view of certain ethnic groups, but not members of an extremist group. Would be less likely to walk on a tab from a Canadian bar and grill owned by say "Don McPherson". If they did walk on a tab from McPherson's place, would not get violent if confronted. But... the totality of The Curry House and owner brings out the worst.

As to your second possibility (relatives), the similar clothing could support members of a big family with budget clothing choices and hand me downs.

As I noted in a previous post, there is something about these dudes, especially the clothes, that makes their visit to an Indian restaurant seem unusual. Their clothing makes them looks like they would be more comfortable in a family restaurant or sports bar. If you’re a Canadian, think a Boston Pizza or Kelsey’s. Unlike the UK or large Canadian cities, Indian food is still fairly niche and exotic in small town Canada.

I agree about the non professional athlete- or even not truly serious amateur athlete observation.

The impression of doughyness, however, vibes slightly different to me:

- Formerly active high school athletes that still retain their stocky athleticism. They currently play on a adult softball team (less running) in a recreational league sponsored by the city. But, as you suggested, they are slowly and steadily moving from "athletic" to "doughy" as time goes on.

The recreational softball team's uniform preference is black shorts and socks? As a side note, universities also sponsor intramural sports leagues of varying levels of competiveness for students who still want to play, but cant make the college teams.
Interesting theory. The clothing does give off a beer league uniform vibe. Still, typically a team will go out for drinks after a game together, not break off into smaller parties like a trio.

Last edited:
As I noted in a previous post, there is something about these dudes, especially the clothes, that makes their visit to an Indian restaurant seem unusual. Their clothing makes them looks like they would be more comfortable in a family restaurant or sports bar. If you’re a Canadian, think a Boston Pizza or Kelsey’s. Unlike the UK or large Canadian cities, Indian food is still fairly niche and exotic in small town Canada.

Interesting theory. The clothing does give off a beer league uniform vibe. Still, typically a team will go out for drinks after a game together, not break off into smaller parties like a trio.
My own speculation, but I am of the opinion that the older man was there alone, and the two younger men joined him later. That only the older man ate. That they arrived seperately, which is why we see the younger men running in one direction, but not the older man- his car was parked in a different spot, or he walked. Maybe the younger guys wanted to eat, and got cranky when told it was closing time, and thats what lead to the attack? The younger ones may have been else where before joining the older man.

I wanted to add, "less prone to visit ethnic food restaurants in general". If Canadians, probably would be "Tim Hortons" guys. (Nothing against Tim Hortons, I like their food).

But then, Owen Sound is ethnically not diverse at all. I, too, have the feeling that these were non-locals, just because of the sheer size of the city. But the problem is, the place is very accessible. From all Ontario, from Detroit, from the harbor, they have one festival in August and one in winter, and summer camps from exchange students from France. It has places to visit.

There are many places for tourism and two RV and campsite parks. I wonder if anyone came into visitors center to pick up maps?

Just from their behaviour, I think they're probably the kind of jerks that wouldn't be welcome on a social sports league.
Can the jerks in question play- as in really play?

In some social sports teams- and maybe even the more competitive leagues as a whole (some cities offer both "having fun" and competitive leagues), sociability can take a back seat to winning.

This can yield a certain number of tolerated, and maybe even sought out, former high school athlete jerks and former collegiate athlete jerks striving to re-kindle their glory years.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PurplePoloBear
Back