Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #88

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it actually means that the Petitos didn't want to take a chance with a jury trial in their lawsuit. For the Laundries, I don't think they had deep pockets to keep at it with the trial, etc. so settling was likely their motivation.
I think it's possible the Laundries gave an apology and paid zero dollars to reach a resolution in the lawsuit.

Since it's confidential there's no way to say for sure. JMO.

The parents of slain New York woman Gabby Petito say they have reached a settlement in their suit against the parents of Brian Laundrie, the man who admitted responsibility for her death, as well as his parents’ attorney.
Yes, some reporters and headline writers used the word "settlement" but GP's parents didn't in their statement and neither did their attorney in his statement. The Laundries' attorney SB didn't either. All statements used the term "resolution." Since the resolution reached is confidential, we can't know the terms. But I'm more likely to go with what the parties wrote, not what a reporter wrote. Throughout the case we've seen reporters "get it wrong," sometimes in pretty astounding ways.
MOO

I know months ago there was discussion on WS suggesting the van insurance might have been tacked onto the Laundries' policy. While BL might have paid for the insurance, since the van was in GP's name I don't see how adding it to the parents' policy could work. I'm also not sure it's possible for a car insurance policy to exclude the titleholder as a driver. So who purchased the policy shouldn't have affected GP's ability to drive the van. But during the Moab stop when LE decided to separate them for the night, GP said she usually didn't drive the van and was concerned about having to drive it very far. (LE did verify she had a clear license.)

I think there was another place she expressed reluctance to drive because of the van's size and not liking to use mirrors. I think it was in one of the van life videos. But right now that has to be JMO.
Brian owned the mustang parked in the Laundrie's driveway. I think the insurance for the van was likely added to that policy rather than to his parent's policy.

JMO

After a protracted legal battle marked by anguish and the nation’s rapt attention, the parents of Gabby Petito have reached a settlement.

Gabby Petito's Parents Finalize Settlement with Brian Laundrie's Family to Conclude Emotional Distress Suit
View attachment 486108
The parents of slain New York woman Gabby Petito say they have reached a settlement in their suit against the parents of Brian Laundrie, the man who admitted responsibility for her death, as well as his parents’ attorney.

I didn't see anywhere i the Petito's statement that a settlement had been reached, only that a resolution had been reached. Did I miss it?

The only people who have said that a settlement has been reached is the MSM.

Here are the public statements by GP's family and their attorney. The word "settlement" is not mentioned.

JMO

Here is the statement from Joseph and Tara Petito and Nichole and James Schmidt:
After a long day of mediation, a confidential resolution has been reached between the parents of Gabby Petitio, the parents of Brian Laundrie and Attorney Steven Bertolino to which all parties reluctantly agreed in order to avoid further legal expenses and prolonged personal conflict. Our hope is to close this chapter of our lives to allow us to move on and continue to honor the legacy of our beautiful daughter, Gabby.

Attorney Patrick J. Reilly also released a statement:
Joe and Tara Petito, along with Niki and Jim Schmidt, have endured a difficult and emotional 2 ½ years, resulting in a resolution through mediation on February 21, 2024. Throughout this time, the primary objective of Gabby Petito’s family in pursuing litigation was to seek answers to lingering questions. Having obtained those answers through depositions, their focus now shifts to spending time with and prioritizing their families and fostering the Gabby Petito Foundation. As a result, they have decided not to take part in any interviews. Nonetheless, they wish to extend their heartfelt gratitude and appreciation to all who have supported them during these trying times.

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2024/02/22/family-gabby-petito-releases-statement-after-civil-suit-is-settled/

Thanks for posting this, so it appears that the statements did not include anything in relation to a settlement, but they reached a resolution.

Big difference. Some people think a settlement involves money.

So the MSM headlines and terms are misleading. A resolution was reached, not a settlement.

Brian owned the mustang parked in the Laundrie's driveway. I think the insurance for the van was likely added to that policy rather than to his parent's policy.

JMO
Ok. I didn't think the Mustang was in Brian's name. I thought reporters searching for car registrations in his name couldn't find anything. And this article says LE told the reporter that car wasn't in BL's name after it was retrieved from the Reserve by his parents. Maybe it was his at some point?

I don't know Florida law but I don't think in NC Person A who isn't related to Person B could take out an insurance policy for Person B's car.
MOO

I didn't see anywhere i the Petito's statement that a settlement had been reached, only that a resolution had been reached. Did I miss it?

The only people who have said that a settlement has been reached is the MSM.

A settlement agreement is a legally binding contract that outlines the resolution to a dispute.
The settlement resolves - gives resolution - to the dispute.

Settlement negotiations provide an opportunity for parties to explore potential resolutions without proceeding to trial. Settling a case can save time, money, and emotional stress for all parties involved.

Last edited:
I think it actually means that the Petitos didn't want to take a chance with a jury trial in their lawsuit. For the Laundries, I don't think they had deep pockets to keep at it with the trial, etc. so settling was likely their motivation.
I think it more likely GP's parents' attorney, Reilly, didn't want to take it to trial. Bertolino would have forced Reilly's colleague, Richard Stafford, to testify about which of his clients wanted to harm the Laundries and Bertolino. That's why Bertolino pointed it out in his depo.

JMO

Ok. I didn't think the Mustang was in Brian's name. I thought reporters searching for car registrations in his name couldn't find anything. And this article says LE told the reporter that car wasn't in BL's name after it was retrieved from the Reserve by his parents. Maybe it was his at some point?

I don't know Florida law but I don't think in NC Person A who isn't related to Person B could take out an insurance policy for Person B's car.
MOO
Reporters have gotten information wrong about this case so nothing will surprise me. A man Brian's age should have his own car insurance and pay for it himself and I think that was done in this case. I still don't know for sure that the van was registered only in Gabby's name.

JMO

JMO

My son is 29.

Even with good grades, university Dean's List, followed by a good job and renter's insurance -- insurance on his used car was more than his Dad's & mine combined for newer vehicles. The rates dropped when he turned 26.

At Brian's age, without a good student discount or bundled insurance -- I wonder what the premium for that Mustang would be?

Combined Mustang & new van? That's likely to be a hefty premium imho.

Do we know if Brian's name was on the Mustang's title, or was the RL or CL, possibly with BL?

iirc, the van was titled to GP alone.

Thanks for posting this, so it appears that the statements did not include anything in relation to a settlement, but they reached a resolution.

Big difference. Some people think a settlement involves money.

So the MSM headlines and terms are misleading. A resolution was reached, not a settlement.
BBM. It's click bait. The GP family attorney statement makes it clear their lawsuit was never about money:

Throughout this time, the primary objective of Gabby Petito’s family in pursuing litigation was to seek answers to lingering questions. Having obtained those answers through depositions, their focus now shifts...

JMO

Resolution, settlement, agreement, deal. Something occurred privately that brought about a conclusion to this civil suit, the details of which we may never know. Can we please move past the terminology debate.

The majority of legal claims filed in civil court do not reach the trial stage-- most are resolved earlier through a negotiated settlement among the parties. An informal settlement can even take place before any lawsuit is filed. Through settlement, the plaintiff in a civil case agrees to give up the right to pursue any further legal action in connection with his or her case, in exchange for the payment of an agreed-upon sum of money from the defendant (or the defendant's insurer). In rare cases, instead of paying money the defendant will agree to perform (or cease performing) a certain action.

Resolution, settlement, agreement, deal. Something occurred privately that brought about a conclusion to this civil suit, the details of which we may never know. Can we please move past the terminology debate.

The majority of legal claims filed in civil court do not reach the trial stage-- most are resolved earlier through a negotiated settlement among the parties. An informal settlement can even take place before any lawsuit is filed. Through settlement, the plaintiff in a civil case agrees to give up the right to pursue any further legal action in connection with his or her case, in exchange for the payment of an agreed-upon sum of money from the defendant (or the defendant's insurer). In rare cases, instead of paying money the defendant will agree to perform (or cease performing) a certain action.
A heart to heart with an apology and letting the family know everything they could in return for stopping all further lawsuits on the subject.

RSBM

I'm looking at it a different way, I guess.

If someone murdered one of my kids -- I know I'd be in incredible pain, and probably anger for a good long while as well.

But not only did both sets of parents lose a child -- the Laundries bear the additional burden of having to face that their child was a killer.

That's adding a whole 'nother emotional burden--because they don't even get to have good memories of their child. They don't get to watch old videos and have warm feelings because their child did something that erases all those feelings. Like the Petitos, I'm sure the Laundries grieve for their son whom they will never see again, but unlike the Petitos, they don't have the privledge of putting BL's photos on the mantle and acting proud of him when visitors comment. Instead, they will bear a shame for something that wasn't their fault.

And, because of that shame, they will likely never be able to grieve their son outwardly. I think that's a horrendous burden to bear.

So, in MHO, both sets of parents are victims, but the Petitos can move forward and hold their heads up -- the Laundries don't have that prerogative.

I can't think of anything worse than losing my child. Except perhaps losing my child and finding out he/she is a murderer.

They walk in very lonely shoes.
Thank you. We all make choices in life but I can’t help but wonder how things might have turned out had they been upfront, honest and humane with the Petito’s from the start.

A heart to heart with an apology and letting the family know everything they could in return for stopping all further lawsuits on the subject.
I think all it resolved was this lawsuit. Next up will be the Moab lawsuit and the city's attorney made his position abundantly clear last August. Now that Bertolino's depo has been released, I think he will want it taken to trial.

JMO

Stephens said the officers who responded to the domestic dispute acted with “kindness and respect” in an interview with the US Sun.

He also branded the family’s $50 million lawsuit against the department an overreach after Petito’s family was awarded $3 million from the estate of Brian Laundrie in November in a separate lawsuit.

I don't know, if a husband of one of my female friends called frantic and said "[Friend's name] is gone", I'd assume she packed her stuff and left him.
That's a good sign. It means you have never suspected the husband of hurting her.

IMHO Immediately hiring a lawyer to defend your son (without questioning him) tells me the Laundries had an understanding of what Brian was capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member