Court: Teaching Credential Required To Home School

Parents aren't the ones that are actually schooling the kids anyway. I "home schooled" my daughter during her last school year. The school you decide to go with sends the books and the tests and your child does it. You help at times, just like you would with homework but the parent isn't the one standing over the child doing the teaching. If a parent's too dumb to help with the home schooling then they'll be too dumb to help with the regular schooling.

OR homework!

I agree BeeBee.

More and more parents are choosing to homeschool nowadays. Some of the parents I have come across doing it are so inept and ignorant it is scary. I think there should be some guidelines in place.
That has been my experience as well. :truce: I know the WSers here have good heads on their shoulders (even when we disagree :blowkiss: ) and have enough intelligence to teach their children well. *BUT* I too, have seen the scarey dark, burning STUPID. :eek:

The law makers should be more concerned with fixing the very broken public school system instead of trying to regulate me. My children have tested in the top 90% every year. When public school can offer them a proper education I might consider sending them there until then they need to mind their own buisness.

The law makers should be more concerned with fixing the very broken public school system instead of trying to regulate me. My children have tested in the top 90% every year. When public school can offer them a proper education I might consider sending them there until then they need to mind their own buisness.
Indeed, if the schools were better most parents would not resort to homeschooling. Personally I won't ever do it, I am in no means qualified or intellegent enough to homeschool, but i am leaning towards private schools for mine.

I agree that a better school system in California would mean a lot less homeschooling issues. I know enough well-educated homeschooled kids to know that the public or private school isn't the only place a child can get a good education.

On the other hand, I know of at least one child who's getting a lousy education, and it does really bother me when I let it. It doesn't seem entirely fair that the child is very soon going to be so far behind other students her age that the chances of her catching up are minimal at best.

Here's what I think: States should offer an optional middle school and/or high school graduation test. It should cover the same basic requirements of a high school graduate--not an AP level honors type exam, but not a basic GED type exam either.

The states could administer the tests at set times for a nominal fee, and the test would include a written essay as well. Students could take the test if they wanted to, or not.

That way the parents would still have control but it would also allow those parents who truly do a great job educating their children to have some kind of recognized certificate. Those who don't wouldn't be able to get it.

More and more parents are choosing to homeschool nowadays. Some of the parents I have come across doing it are so inept and ignorant it is scary. I think there should be some guidelines in place.

I have to agree. I have relatives who homeschool their children, and I've seen rampant abuses of homeschooling. I live in California. I agree with the new regs!

As far as public schools- the governor just cut 10% from education across the board and my local school board is trying to close our elementary school!!!!!:furious: :furious: :furious:

I am a huge homeschooling fan and am blown away that this opinion came out of California. Extremely dangerous precedent - my prayers that it gets overturned at a higher level.

ETA - I don't think parents should be required to have any sort of special training or education to homeschool their children.

I agree, South and I am a teacher. I would add that the kids should pass a proficiency test, however. I believe, at least here in MN, most home-schooled kids have done very well on the tests.

Side note: I must say I find the reports of open pot smoking and so on in CA amusing. I can believe it, it wouldn't surprise me, I've seen it in various places, too, (like Madison, WI) but isn't CA the state where many counties don't even allow cigarette smoking in one's own yard or owned condos? Hmmm, pretty selective when it comes to "liberal and open-minded," if true!

Eve

California has allowed home schooling if parents either file paperwork to establish themselves as small, private schools; hire a credentialed tutor; or enroll their child in an independent study program run by an established school while teaching the child at home.

I agree with this! Do you know how many people I see who lie about homeschooling thier kids, and when they are pressed they are "homeschooling" them on the wal-mart workbooks!?!? rediculous!! those are the ones who are not taking their child to school and who do not want too... the ones who are sequestering the child for whatever reason (abuse, neglect, whatever) and get a hotline. Then, there are of course the kids who do ge a good education being homeschooled and those kids excel. But the ones I have a beef with, these people don't even have GED's and are homeschooling... i am sorry but they have no place to be giving these kids an education on their own with no regulation! even the ones who aren't abusing their kids but are just dumb and paranoid, there has to be some regulation to ensure that our children have a future. I THINK that yes, these children should be enrolled in some sort of established school while teaching the child at home... I think that cali has the right idea and no, i think that they have every right to put their hand in this... i have seen too many kids fall through the cracks. if the parent wants to supplement and move the kid ahead, the parent should have that option.

I am a huge homeschooling fan and am blown away that this opinion came out of California. Extremely dangerous precedent - my prayers that it gets overturned at a higher level.

ETA - I don't think parents should be required to have any sort of special training or education to homeschool their children.
I don't think that is what they are saying. I think that is what the media is saying. THey are saying use a curriculum we have set forth at home (so we can regulate it to make sure our kids are meeting basic guidelines in cali), or, if you have an education yourself and creditials, you can do whatever the heck you want with your kid. we don't care since you have the paper and letters behind your name to back it up. otherwise, you have to hire someone to do this for you... you and the tutor work it out.

I agree, South and I am a teacher. I would add that the kids should pass a proficiency test, however. I believe, at least here in MN, most home-schooled kids have done very well on the tests.

Side note: I must say I find the reports of open pot smoking and so on in CA amusing. I can believe it, it wouldn't surprise me, I've seen it in various places, too, (like Madison, WI) but isn't CA the state where many counties don't even allow cigarette smoking in one's own yard or owned condos? Hmmm, pretty selective when it comes to "liberal and open-minded," if true!

Eve

Believe me - I have nothing but respect for our teachers! When I was researching homeschooling for my kids when they were very young, I recall that most states had regulations in place that seemed both reasonable and unobtrusive. This California opinion (and it wasn't a tremendously detailed article - I'd like to read the entire opinion and the case that led up to it) just feels like a slippery slope to me.

I don't think that is what they are saying. I think that is what the media is saying. THey are saying use a curriculum we have set forth at home (so we can regulate it to make sure our kids are meeting basic guidelines in cali), or, if you have an education yourself and creditials, you can do whatever the heck you want with your kid. we don't care since you have the paper and letters behind your name to back it up. otherwise, you have to hire someone to do this for you... you and the tutor work it out.

Yes - I hear you, but I am also a fan of Unschooling where there is nothing that even remotely resembles a curriculum!

I know many families who homeschool (both with and without curriculums). It seems to work very well for them and their children. I do know that there are negligent parents out there who claim to "homeschool" because they are lazy, but I don't think most families who chose that route fall into this category.

Like I said above in my post to Eve - I'd like to read the entire opinion and know more about the facts that led up to it. I don't have a problem with some regulation of homeschooling, but as a general rule I think our government should remain fairly hands-off on the subject.

Ok then, make the private schools have to hire only teachers who are certified too, I can still get behind that..
So can I! In fact, the private school where my children attended had all the teachers certified. If they hadn't been, I would not have sent my children there.

I didn't know private schools had uncertified teachers. I went to Catholic school all but 2 years and I belive they were all certified and on the level.
I just don't see where it is a problem to regulate the homeschool industry, we regulate public and private schools and homeschool is the privatest of all! I just know a few homeschool moms and they concern me. One runs errands while her kids are at home doing school work!

I didn't know private schools had uncertified teachers. I went to Catholic school all but 2 years and I belive they were all certified and on the level.
I just don't see where it is a problem to regulate the homeschool industry, we regulate public and private schools and homeschool is the privatest of all! I just know a few homeschool moms and they concern me. One runs errands while her kids are at home doing school work!

What do you find problematic about that?

What do you find problematic about that?
That she should be teaching them, not getting her hair done. I would find it appllalling if a public school teacher left in the middle of the day to run errands the same as a homeschool mother leaving her kids. If you are gonna teach them at home then do it like you mean it not just when it strikes your fancy. And thats my problem with it, it isn't just that though she does other things that are kinda irresponsible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There was a period of time (early 70's) to where they would hire teachers with just their AA degrees. I felt that to be appalling but I guess with the drop in nuns, especially teaching ones, I guess they took what they could. I went to parochial school for 10 years, and believe you me, there were plenty of nuns to make us tow the line!!!!

That she should be teaching them, not getting her hair done. I would find it appllalling if a public school teacher left in the middle of the day to run errands the same as a homeschool mother leaving her kids. If you are gonna teach them at home then do it like you mean it not just when it strikes your fancy. And thats my problem with it, it isn't just that though she does other things that are kinda irresponsible.

I hear you. What ages are her children? Homeschool is very self-directed for a lot of children/families depending on age and what they are learning.

Public school teachers can't leave in the middle of the day to do an errand because they are in charge of so many students. The smaller the student body you have, the more flexible you can be. You can also accomplish a lot of learning in much less time. One of the main things formal schooling teaches kids is patience because there is so much waiting!

If I were a homeschooler and could swing it from a childcare standpoint, I would definitely run errands while my kids did schoolwork! But I'm sure there would also be weekends when I was "teaching" instead of running errands.

From 6-14, there were 4 kids.

Interesting. So was the oldest kid "in charge" so to speak. Did the olders help teach the youngers? - that seems to occur kind of naturally in a HS environment.

I agree you can't abdicate all teaching responsibility when you HS, but I think you can find lots of creative ways to work things in and still get your hair done.:)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim Sheppard
Back