Court: Teaching Credential Required To Home School

I do not know what requirements are installed to homeschool in each state, but my cousin in CA homeschooled her 2 kids. She is not qualified to do this, she barely has a high school diploma. Her kids are 18 and 21 now and both are extremely anti-social and completely clueless on the outside world. The 21 yr old just recently got his drivers license and finally just got a job. Mom and Dad homeschooled to keep their kids from being exposed to the real world. They are so sheltered it's scary.
how would this law help? if the kids are stupid i could see the argument. you listed the problems as anti-social and completely clueless on the outside world then gave examples of that. it sounds like the parents overprotected the children to the point they are unable to function socially. even educated parents can make that mistake.

I have just read this ENTIRE thread -- and boy is my head spinning. All the argument, judgementality, and strife!

I have been on the fence about homeschooling my two girls (or sending them to one of the three grades 1 - 12 private schools) for about two years. But now I have to say I'm actually kind of annoyed with both sides presented here.

I am annoyed that the public schools aren't doing there jobs, but I shouldn't be made to feel like I MUST send them there to get an education (here I am unless I homeschool until first grade). Schools should have locally caring and industrious teachers that work to see that every child achieves to their highest level. If they don't want to, then they need to get other jobs.

However, I feel like most homeschool parents are telling me that my children will turn out to be "stupid" or moronic if I don't homeschool. The idea of one other person telling me that my child will never amount to anything (or that I am a bad mother by entrusting my child's education to someone else) because they went into a school building or on a school bus is actually the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. That is as much elitism as you claim by the Government.

My oldest daugther is in public preschool right now. While she is not really learning anything she doesn't already know (she is already reading and writing because I taught her how) but she is getting some much needed interaction with kids her own age because here outside of school there are no ways for her to do that. We have no little leauges or outside classes -- and our church has nothing for youth as it is a small family church. We do learning activities with our girls as time allows (for hubby's job and such as he can't take off for much), and they are by no means going to get behind in her education. I am a certified teacher, but I intend on supplementing what they learn in school with what I can teach them about and helping them with whatever I can (my subject areas were social studies and math).

I do not know what requirements are installed to homeschool in each state, but my cousin in CA homeschooled her 2 kids. She is not qualified to do this, she barely has a high school diploma. Her kids are 18 and 21 now and both are extremely anti-social and completely clueless on the outside world. The 21 yr old just recently got his drivers license and finally just got a job. Mom and Dad homeschooled to keep their kids from being exposed to the real world. They are so sheltered it's scary.
It is not hard to find out just what the requirements are, if you indeed wish to know:
http://homeschooling.about.com/od/legal/Staying_Legal_Homeschool_Laws_and_Requirements.htm

There are, unfortunately many, many young people who go though our public schools, who end up uneducated and unsocialized. There are many reasons for this, but it certainly happens every year.

However, I feel like most homeschool parents are telling me that my children will turn out to be "stupid" or moronic if I don't homeschool. The idea of one other person telling me that my child will never amount to anything (or that I am a bad mother by entrusting my child's education to someone else) because they went into a school building or on a school bus is actually the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. That is as much elitism as you claim by the Government.

I'm not sure which posts made you feel that way but I hope it wasn't one of mine. The ONLY thing I preach on here is choice. Like I said in an earlier post, I could care less where people send their kids. You have to make the best decision you can for what works for you and your family.

I know many public school parents, none of their kids are stupid or bad kids. I know many homeschool parents, none of their kids are stupid or bad kids either.

I think the one thing they all have in common, a desire to be good parents. THAT is what matters. :)

I am also not sure what you have read! My kids went to public school after being taught at home for seven years. My eldest also had two years of private school. There is no perfect way! No matter what you do, the parents should be involved, that I firmly believe.
Until college, the schools should not be in loco parentis ( in place of the parents). That having been said, I have remained involved on the home front during the high school years, have not been very present at school
( they do not use volunteer parents much, at most high schools). But I know my kids' friends, what their courses are like, all of that stuff.

Perhaps kygal is speaking of homeschooling parents she knows, not what she's read here at WS.

Actually I have been doing a LOT of reading on this, as we're still in the decision phase of choosing what we are going to do. That being said, the arguments are really the same each and every time I read something. THAT is what is frustrating to a parent like me who is both able (edcuationally and fundamentally) to do any option that is possible.

I guess our process has been prolonged by the fact that I KNOW I can teach -- I've taught other people's children, and I'm more than certainly certified to teach (maybe I should move to California...). But I honestly don't know for sure that I could teach MY children better than someone who is trained in teaching younger children (my certification is for grades 8 - 12 but I have taught 6 and 7). Plus I think that some things of the school experience just make you a stronger and more enlightened person and they shouldn't miss those unless they can be brought into the home.

I've been mini-schooling my kids since about age 2. My oldest (who will be entering Kindergarten this coming year) is already able to read and write, count to 100 (and write it out), and has already PASSED the end of year Kindergarten exam that they have here. This is why we're in the dilemma we're in. Her teacher in preschool is quite perplexed with her because she doesn't know what to do with her while she's working with the other kids (we put her in for speech therapy last year and she worked out of it in one semester). I guess we are the school's worst nightmare -- kids who start out ahead and a mom who won't settle for just ordinary work from the teachers.

Right now we're looking into curriculums/books/costs/state requirements now. We're also looking at the private schools in the area (our schools are more culturally conservative and aren't afraid of Christian prinicples but there are still some things I'm squeamish about) but they won't take her until she's six (first grade).

I highly recommend the Calvert School in MD...they have an at home curriculum, and a day school as well. They also have an advisory teaching service, where you send tests in to be graded, and they write to the child, grade essays, etc. It is not a Christian program, is very classically based.
http://www.calvertschool.org/home-school/
However, perhaps you can find a way to make the public school work for you. The thing about homeschooling is that it is hard, and there is no pay, and when your kids are little, there is little gratitude on their part!
I must also add that ( at least to me) the younger grades are a lot of fun to teach, easy to find fun field trips to go on, etc.

In the case of my cousin, the kids were homeschooled because Dad is a control freak and major religious fanatic. Mom and Dad are actually going through a very nasty divorce now. He was also a con man who hid behind his religion to get money from people. Do I think those kids got a good education? Nope, and the whole family doesn't think so either.

F.Y. I., for all on this thread that think their rights to home-school are being taken away by this law, haven't read the whole thing- the other part if you don't have a teaching credential- is that you can home-school if you are enrolled in an accredited program.
As much as I prefer public school, my local school board is closing our elementary school and forcing an unsafe school upon us that backs up to a major freeway and 500-700 kids would be in portables on-site while it's under construction, so we may have to consider home-schooling in an accredited program.

There are many good accredited programs out there, should you be in the position ( as I was, as I had never wanted to home school) of having to teach your kids at home.
The Calvert School program has been used overseas for over 100 years by military and foreign service families. Both of my kids went from having reading disabilities to being in advanced/honors classes in high school. A good curriculum can make all of the difference in the world. Calvert also guided me to specific materials to address the developmental/reading lags.

Many feel that the accredited programs are not really home school. They call it public schooling at home. No real choices except which one to choose.

Many homeschoolers don't want the government, esp the public schools, in their homes. I'm one of them. If I had to go run to the public schools, or a governing body, every time I changed the way we did something, or if I wanted to try a new exciting program, I might as well give up and put them in public school. No thank you. I don't like the way they do it and I'm not allowed personal freedom under that plan.

Just how many deschooled, unschooled, eclectic/traditional, eclectic/unschooled, Charlotte Mason, Waldorf schooled at home, Montessori schooled at home people would take that offer...not many. We LIKE being our own child's teacher on our own terms.

But more than that, we see the choices we make as being an integral part of being the best parent we can be to our children, same as every other parent! Public school parents get that right. You can petition to move your child, you can move to a new location, you get iep's, doctors of education, testing and all you think is wonderful for your child. You have a choice! We want the same, a choice!

I see pushing parents to choose accredited programs as one more step the government is making to take my right to choose away and do it their way. If their way was in any way superior, that would be different, but it's not for my family and for thousands of others out there.

This isn't a matter if you are smart enough to teach Johnny to read, of course you are! It has everything to do with parental rights because the only choice we are given is one way. How is that a choice?

........I see pushing parents to choose accredited programs as one more step the government is making to take my right to choose away and do it their way. If their way was in any way superior, that would be different, but it's not for my family and for thousands of others out there....

I'm with you on this 100%, BhamMama - excellent post!

Now - I have no problem with parents who chose to follow an accredited program - again - that's choice in education, which I support. But - were I to homeschool my children, I believe we would go down some non-accredited paths - as many as possible! ;)

Yes, and I am glad I did have the choice. I used Calvert ( accredited and WAY better than any public school curriculum I know of...it was definitely not public school at home!!!) for my eldest.

My youngest was about 6 months below grade level, so I had to be more flexible with her...made up my own reading program, once she was reading well, and used parts of several other programs for her. I added in outside supplemental classes for both kids, too.
One of the ironies of home schooling is that we were rarely at home! They had so many other classes and activities, but always got the basics done first. No wasted time or busy work.

But, yes, it was nice to have the choice. I would not have liked being forced into an accredited program.

( accredited and WAY better than any public school curriculum I know of...it was definitely not public school at home!!!)

Just to clarify, I don't feel that way :blowkiss: I'm not near the radical that many of my friends are lol

LOS ANGELES, CA - The California Court of Appeal has granted a petition to rehear a ruling issued February 28 that parents who home-school their children could be criminally liable under California law.

The Alliance Defense Fund requested the appellate court reconsider the case of a parent whose child was enrolled in Sunland Christian School, a private homeschooling program.

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=39973

LOS ANGELES, CA - The California Court of Appeal has granted a petition to rehear a ruling issued February 28 that parents who home-school their children could be criminally liable under California law.

The Alliance Defense Fund requested the appellate court reconsider the case of a parent whose child was enrolled in Sunland Christian School, a private homeschooling program.

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=39973

The court has solicited a number of CA educational entities to submit amicus briefs in for the rehearing. These include: the California Superintendent of Public Instruction, California Department of Education, the Los Angeles Unified School District, and three California teacher unions. I suspect that these heavy weight entities may not be presenting briefs supporting the homeschooling family.

The court is also allowing amicus briefs from the homeschooling side too. But the court did not ask for such, where it did ask for briefs from the educrats.

So - we shall see!

Here's another interesting link. This article gives a more rigorous examination of the recent CA home schooling decision that is viewed by many as anti-homeschooling.
The upshot of this article is that the Judge got it right according to CA statutes, and that the real remedy to this situation lies with the CA legislature.

Well worth a read.

http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/?p=994

A legal ruling outlawing most forms of home schooling in California could come under renewed scrutiny because the court case on which it was based has been dismissed.

On Thursday, a family court judge terminated its jurisdiction over two of the eight children of Phillip and Mary Long of Los Angeles

http://cbs13.com/local/home.schooling.ban.2.769811.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back