No charges for mother in hot car death

I've seen comparisons between Slaby's case and the one where the mom had to work "or else" so she kept the kids in the car but they died. She's the one that bathed and dressed them after she found them dead. She apparently didn't have a history of doing that, but I'm pretty sure she's STILL sitting in a jail cell right now.

I can't remember the name but Nancy Grace covered it extensively.

I'd rather she be set free than have Slaby free.

Sadly, I am very familiar with this type of accident since I live in the Valley of the Sun, Phoenix and surrounding cities.
Cooked kids is all too fequent here. And, parents who are guilty of leaving the kids are rarely charged.
However, we get these "tips" in news stories all the time about how now to forget your baby in a hot car.
My favorite tip is "Leave something important in the back seat, like your purse, brief case or cell phone, so that you will remember to open the back seat door to retreive it." And subsequently notice your child is there.
Please....something important in the back seat?
The only time I've seen an uproar and charges is when a Chandler policeman left his K-9 partner, a dog named Bandit in the back of the car for 8 hours and the dog died.
People were furious. The local news focused on this case for weeks. He and his family received death threats and he was taken in by our famous Sherrif Joe for cruelity to animals. The charges were later dropped and the last I hear the cop was suing Sherrif Joe.
But the cases where it's a little one left to cook, the claim is that the greiving parents have suffered enough so no charges are brought against them. It stinks.

I used to live in Independence Mo where a little boy was killed because his mom left him in the vehicle to run in and get something at a fast food place and a man that was mistakenly released from prison hijacked the vehicle. She saw what was happening and ran out and tried to get her son out but instead he got tangled in the seatbelt and the guy took off down the interstate.. dragging Jake along.
After this happened all sorts of stuff got put into motion and I tell you what. No matter how long you leave your car, if your children are in it and you are not you are in trouble. I used to listen to the police scanner and they dont play around when it comes to that. They call DFS get the kids out and tow the car.

http://www.simplykristi.com/heart_and_soul/people/in_memorium/jake_robel/

Sadly, I am very familiar with this type of accident since I live in the Valley of the Sun, Phoenix and surrounding cities.
Cooked kids is all too fequent here. And, parents who are guilty of leaving the kids are rarely charged.
However, we get these "tips" in news stories all the time about how now to forget your baby in a hot car.
My favorite tip is "Leave something important in the back seat, like your purse, brief case or cell phone, so that you will remember to open the back seat door to retreive it." And subsequently notice your child is there.
Please....something important in the back seat?
The only time I've seen an uproar and charges is when a Chandler policeman left his K-9 partner, a dog named Bandit in the back of the car for 8 hours and the dog died.
People were furious. The local news focused on this case for weeks. He and his family received death threats and he was taken in by our famous Sherrif Joe for cruelity to animals. The charges were later dropped and the last I hear the cop was suing Sherrif Joe.
But the cases where it's a little one left to cook, the claim is that the greiving parents have suffered enough so no charges are brought against them. It stinks.

My experience with these types of cases has been quite different from yours with my recollection being that more often than not, charges are brought and hardcore jail time is served. Not always, of course, but routinely.

It seems to depend on the facts. Not all of these cases are alike.

There was a fascinating article once that I posted on one of these children accidentally left in car issues - I will try and go look it up, but the gist of it was an in depth look at two very similar cases (in terms of facts) that ended in the death of a child forgotten by parents in a hot, but in one case the parents got off with probation and it the other, they went to jail for 20 years.

Regarding most of these cases, I have a there but for the grace of God attitude and feel terrible for the caretaker and the child. However, when a parent leaves the child in the car on purpose, I certainly think they are culpable for the outcome.

Well,I live in Highland county, though I'm from Clinton county, which is pretty close to Clermont county. I worked full-time while my kids were growing up. My job was extremely high-stress and the hours were "until the work is done" type thing. More often than not, that would mean 12 to 14 hour days, starting at 6:30 and going through to 6:30 to 8:30. Let me tell you, I also never got any help from my husband with the kids, or the housework. He'd get home at 5:30 and just sit around watching tv until I came home. Then it was "What's for dinner?" I'm telling you I was always frazzled. I'd have to cook supper, do laundry, straighten up a little, get the kids' baths (when they got older it was do their homework), lay out their clothes for the next day, and get them to bed. I'd be up the next morning at 4:00 to get them and myself ready, drop them at the sitters and go on to work.

If my kids got sick at the sitter's, she'd call me. If they had to go to the doctor, I took off work to take them and stayed home to care for them. Many a time I went to work sicker than a dog myself, because I saved my sick days in case the kids got sick. My husband, on the other hand, would, and still does, take off sick from work with just so much as a simple cold. He acts like he's dying because he's got the sniffles. It is infuriating! Nonetheless, never once have I ever forgotten one of my kids in the car. I do not, and simply can not understand, or have sympathy for, anyone who says they forgot. My kids will tell you I am the most forgetful person in the world, but I've never forgotten them. There is something else wrong in these cases, believe me.

I am a daycare provider and if a child doesn't show up within 30 minutes of their scheduled time, I call looking for them. I wish more daycares could do that.

I am a daycare provider and if a child doesn't show up within 30 minutes of their scheduled time, I call looking for them. I wish more daycares could do that.

Bee Happy, what an excellent idea. Certainly that would put the parent on alert they may have forgotten the child. And a tragedy could be avoided. I too wish all child care places would have this policy. It might take a little more time for a staff member, but worth it when the life of a child is involved.

Bee Happy, I am so impressed with your practice, that today I wrote a letter to the editor of the newspaper here and expressed the importance of child care professionals and babysitters adopt this method in order to save a life.
Since I didn't know you real name I wasn't able to credit you with this idea. However know that your post explaining this practice could have far reaching effects. Thanks again for sharing this potentional life saving idea.
azwriter

It seems to me that we can all write similar letters to editors, as well as local representatives and child welfare orgs and child care licencing boards.

ETA: I'm emailing my MLA (member of the legislative assembly of Ontario) tonight!

Taximom, me too Im so worried about her all the time. I could never imagine forgetting her being with me, plus that she is never quiet enough for me to forget her.

She went to her car FIVE times. How in the hades did she NOT see or hear that baby whimper or even breathe in those 5 times that she went to or in that car? I was always so very paranoid when I had a 2 year old and 5 month old twins that I was going to leave one of my children in the car or even accidently lock my keys in my car with them in it, that I would either always have someone with me or jus not go anywhere. WHat a tragic story.

She went to her car FIVE times. How in the hades did she NOT see or hear that baby whimper or even breathe in those 5 times that she went to or in that car? I was always so very paranoid when I had a 2 year old and 5 month old twins that I was going to leave one of my children in the car or even accidently lock my keys in my car with them in it, that I would either always have someone with me or jus not go anywhere. WHat a tragic story.

When I was pregnant, I kept having horrible dreams about me showing up to a meeting or something, in a rush, only to discover I had forgotten the baby back home in his crib alone. Once I had him, I realized how unlikely that would be to happen. Now that he's a toddler, though, I *really* know how unlikely that is to happen - Toddlers tend to announce their presence with some mega-authority.

How did she not only go out to her car, but also sit in an office with, I assume, at least one photo of the child, being asked by people how the girl was doing, etc., without realizing her error?

I will never understand this case. A couple minutes, understandable - 8 hours? Totally insane.

A lesson to be learned: Getting into the habit of leaving your child out in the carseat for greater and greater lengths of time can't be a good habit.

It seems to me that we can all write similar letters to editors, as well as local representatives and child welfare orgs and child care licencing boards.

Right you are pearseha. Let's spread the word of this great idea that Bee Happy has put forth and shared with all of us.
As I understand, elementary schools now a days have this practice. If the child doesn't show up, parents receive a call questioning the child's absence.
PM me and let me know when you write your letter to the editor and the other officials.
azwriter

My experience with these types of cases has been quite different from yours with my recollection being that more often than not, charges are brought and hardcore jail time is served. Not always, of course, but routinely.

It seems to depend on the facts. Not all of these cases are alike.

There was a fascinating article once that I posted on one of these children accidentally left in car issues - I will try and go look it up, but the gist of it was an in depth look at two very similar cases (in terms of facts) that ended in the death of a child forgotten by parents in a hot, but in one case the parents got off with probation and it the other, they went to jail for 20 years.

Regarding most of these cases, I have a there but for the grace of God attitude and feel terrible for the caretaker and the child. However, when a parent leaves the child in the car on purpose, I certainly think they are culpable for the outcome.

There was a case in Bartlett, TN a few years ago where a youth minister had left his young child in the car all day and the child died. The father was supposed to take the child to a sitter;s house which was not his normal routine, but his wife was sick or something like that, and he was late for a meeting. SO he hurried on as usual forgetting his wife had placed the baby in the car for him. I beleive that man received a jail time. I actually felt sorry for that man. He was absolutley beside himself when he returned to the car and found out what happened. This woman KNEW what she was doing and had been a habitual offender.

My email to my MLA:

Dear X,

On an online forum, I was recently discussing the tragic case of Brenda Nesselroad-Slaby and her unfortunate daughter Cecelia. Perhaps you remember this case - it was back in summer of 2007 in Batavia, Ohio, when a vice-principle of a middle school forgot to drop her toddler off to a daycare before she locked up her car for the school day, and the child was left in a burning hot SUV for 8 hours and died. This case touched me deeply, as I am sure it did all parents who heard of it.

In any case, one very clever lady who runs a daycare said it was her own business's policy to call the parents/guardians of the children in her care if they had not shown up by 30 minutes after their expected arrival time. A policy like this would have perhaps saved a life in the case of little Cecilia.

I am not yet in a position to put my young son into daycare, but I am curious as to what the current polices in Ontario/(region)/Canada are in this regard. As you know, we get some frightfully hot summers and terribly cold winters, and I was wondering if you thought a policy such as this might not be a good idea to make standard with daycares, if none such already exist, in order to prevent such tragedies. I was not able to find any similar policies so far.

Thank you for your time, etc.

My email to my MLA:

Dear X,

On an online forum, I was recently discussing the tragic case of Brenda Nesselroad-Slaby and her unfortunate daughter Cecelia. Perhaps you remember this case - it was back in summer of 2007 in Batavia, Ohio, when a vice-principle of a middle school forgot to drop her toddler off to a daycare before she locked up her car for the school day, and the child was left in a burning hot SUV for 8 hours and died. This case touched me deeply, as I am sure it did all parents who heard of it.

In any case, one very clever lady who runs a daycare said it was her own business's policy to call the parents/guardians of the children in her care if they had not shown up by 30 minutes after their expected arrival time. A policy like this would have perhaps saved a life in the case of little Cecilia.

I am not yet in a position to put my young son into daycare, but I am curious as to what the current polices in Ontario/(region)/Canada are in this regard. As you know, we get some frightfully hot summers and terribly cold winters, and I was wondering if you thought a policy such as this might not be a good idea to make standard with daycares, if none such already exist, in order to prevent such tragedies. I was not able to find any similar policies so far.

Thank you for your time, etc.

pearshea, great letter. My letter to the editor appeared in today's paper. Let's keep this going. Again, may the sun shine on Bee Happy for posting her solution.

OT to this thread. Yesterday I went to Walgreens to pick up pictures that were developed.

Pulled into a space in the parking lot and got out of the car. Looked over in the car next to me and a child was in a car seat sitting there with the windows down.

The child was between 10-13 months old (my experienced guess) the child's face was flushed red, completely wet with sweat and had a sleepy look in it's eyes.

The temperature yesterday? Heat index of 110.

Of course I stayed with the baby, and my Husband went inside Walgreens to call LE. (We did not have our cell phone with us). Yes LE was called before the Mother came running from one of the aisles when they went looking for her (Walgreens employees).

Once the child was safe and taken into the store, we got our pictures and left. (We did leave a contact number should that be needed).

I have tried my best to have sympathy for parents that accidently leave a child in a hot car, but given what I saw yesterday...it has hardened my heart a bit against giving them the benefit of the doubt.

(My Husband had to tell me to hush my mouth because I was livid, and making my opinion known about leaving a baby in a 110 degree car even if she left the windows down). LOL

OT to this thread. Yesterday I went to Walgreens to pick up pictures that were developed.

Pulled into a space in the parking lot and got out of the car. Looked over in the car next to me and a child was in a car seat sitting there with the windows down.

The child was between 10-13 months old (my experienced guess) the child's face was flushed red, completely wet with sweat and had a sleepy look in it's eyes.

Of course I stayed with the baby, and my Husband went inside Walgreens to call LE. (We did not have our cell phone with us). Yes LE was called before the Mother came running from one of the aisles when they went looking for her (Walgreens employees).

Once the child was safe and taken into the store, we got our pictures and left. (We did leave a contact number should that be needed).

I have tried my best to have sympathy for parents that accidently leave a child in a hot car, but given what I saw yesterday...it has hardened my heart a bit against giving them the benefit of the doubt.

(My Husband had to tell me to hush my mouth because I was livid, and making my opinion known about leaving a baby in a 110 degree car even if she left the windows down). LOL

You're an angel Kat. You did the right thing. Your hubby should hug you and reward you for being so involved. But, husbands don't always see things the way we women do. You're great in my book!
azwriter

Not to mention how easy it would be for someone to snatch the baby with the windows open.

Not to mention how easy it would be for someone to snatch the baby with the windows open.

ITA - or steal the car itself. We all know how tragic things can end up once a car thief realizes he's ended up with a tag-a-long child he didn't expect.

Good for you, Kat!!! :clap::clap::clap: Imo, this mother should have been charged! I am right next door to you - Louisiana. I know how hot it has been and the heat index is unreal. It doesn't take much for a baby to get dehydrated in the heat. And yes, what about someone stealing the baby or the car as others have mentioned?

And about this original article.....................It is too bad that this mother was not charged. Since when is it okay to 'forget' your baby in the car to the point the baby dies? NEVER, IMO. ........ :mad: If you are that friggin forgetful, you should not have a baby!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back